"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:28 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
MrTennek wrote:
shadd21 wrote:This is the second time the dub used the term “ Son of a bitch” :crazy:
And? What's the problem? "Son of a bitch" is PG-levels of cursing. You people are acting like the characters are dropping f-bombs left right and center. :roll:
Honestly, I would argue that using the word “bitch” in a Dragon Ball dub is a bit out of place. Sure, it would be a lot worse if Mai dropped an f-bomb, but “bitch” still feels a bit too harsh for what is technically a kid’s show.
Even though Dragon Ball uncut is more the speed of a teenage to young adult demographic on this side of the Pacific?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:35 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
MrTennek wrote:
shadd21 wrote:This is the second time the dub used the term “ Son of a bitch” :crazy:
And? What's the problem? "Son of a bitch" is PG-levels of cursing. You people are acting like the characters are dropping f-bombs left right and center. :roll:
Honestly, I would argue that using the word “bitch” in a Dragon Ball dub is a bit out of place. Sure, it would be a lot worse if Mai dropped an f-bomb, but “bitch” still feels a bit too harsh for what is technically a kid’s show.
Airing solely on an adult block, for adult audiences. They have a censored dub waiting in the wings if it ever gets picked for a kids network, but for now there really isn't anything wrong with them using some mild to harsh language every now and again, especially if the gravity of a scene calls for it.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:47 pm

Scsigs wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
MrTennek wrote:
Even though Dragon Ball uncut is more the speed of a teenage to young adult demographic on this side of the Pacific?
That’s why I said “technically”. It still seems a little jarring to have Dragon Ball characters refer to each other as sons of bitches. Granted, PG-13 movies are perfectly fine with using that word, but then again, they’re also fine with dropping one (and occasionally two) f-bombs, and I don’t think very many people are interested in having Dragon Ball characters using that word.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:04 pm

Kaio_Krazy wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
MrTennek wrote:
Airing solely on an adult block, for adult audiences. They have a censored dub waiting in the wings if it ever gets picked for a kids network, but for now there really isn't anything wrong with them using some mild to harsh language every now and again, especially if the gravity of a scene calls for it.
I’m not saying they need to keep the language G-rated. I’m fine with “damn”, “hell” and even “bastard”. I just feel like “bitch” might be pushing it a bit.

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:25 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Kaio_Krazy wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
I’m not saying they need to keep the language G-rated. I’m fine with “damn”, “hell” and even “bastard”. I just feel like “bitch” might be pushing it a bit.
And I respectfully disagree.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:48 pm

Kaio_Krazy wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
Kaio_Krazy wrote: Airing solely on an adult block, for adult audiences. They have a censored dub waiting in the wings if it ever gets picked for a kids network, but for now there really isn't anything wrong with them using some mild to harsh language every now and again, especially if the gravity of a scene calls for it.
Out of curiosity, where would you personally draw the line on the kind of language to use in a Dragon Ball dub?

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:58 am

They had Guldo say "shit" in Kai. Were people complaining about that then?

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:56 am

I'm very happy about Vegeta using S.O.B. Swearing makes everything more genuine and believable. Euphemisms left and right in the original, such as the ubiquitous "darn" were downright ridiculous, no one talks like that in real life (well, some people do, but I refuse to have anything to do with them). Better that they call say bitch on an arguably children's show than go to the other extreme.

What's with the notion that swearing somehow damages kids, anyway? You know they all swear when they know they'll go unpunished, don't you?

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:28 am

WittyUsername wrote:
Kaio_Krazy wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
Out of curiosity, where would you personally draw the line on the kind of language to use in a Dragon Ball dub?
Oh SOB is absolutely the peak, I really wouldn't want them using anything heavier than that. This is only to be used in moments that truly warrant it, to be clear. Not everyone needs to be calling each other SOBs. It's like your one Fbomb in a PG-13 flick, you save it. Granted, I wasn't expecting them to double up on it so quickly. However if you spell out exactly what was happening to Vegeta and Mai when they said it, I feel both situations we're serious enough to validate the use of it. Mind you, if this becomes as common as the uses of damn it and bastard in this show, I'd have to raise an eyebrow at that.

A change in language, at a pivotal moment in a story, can be a great way of displaying a character's emotional state. The fact that they wouldn't normally say something like it, must mean that the situation facing them is truly different from what came before. However, overuse of such a change will simply make it lose meaning......or make you sound like a 15 year old writing fansubs.

Fun fact: After thinking about, I remembered that I've definitely heard characters in Kai say "So of a-" so that at least sets a precedent for it being a phase that's existed in this world before the Future Trunks arc. Off the top of my head, I can only recall Mr. Satan saying it after throwing #16's head, but I could swear (lol) I've heard another character say it.

Hope this explains my feelings on the matter a bit better, and that it's not that I simply want to hear DB characters curse more, because it's kewl. (Not insinuating that's what you thought btw.)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:41 am

Kaio_Krazy wrote: Fun fact: After thinking about, I remembered that I've definitely heard characters in Kai say "So of a-" so that at least sets a precedent for it being a phase that's existed in this world before the Future Trunks arc. Off the top of my head, I can only recall Mr. Satan saying it after throwing #16's head, but I could swear (lol) I've heard another character say it.

Hope this explains my feelings on the matter a bit better, and that it's not that I simply want to hear DB characters curse more, because it's kewl. (Not insinuating that's what you thought btw.)
Yeah, and the other time was Nappa saying it to Piccolo and getitng cut off.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:40 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
Kaio_Krazy wrote: Fun fact: After thinking about, I remembered that I've definitely heard characters in Kai say "So of a-" so that at least sets a precedent for it being a phase that's existed in this world before the Future Trunks arc. Off the top of my head, I can only recall Mr. Satan saying it after throwing #16's head, but I could swear (lol) I've heard another character say it.

Yeah, and the other time was Nappa saying it to Piccolo and getitng cut off.
*Snaps fingers* There ya go. Knew there was at least one more.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:57 pm

MajinMan wrote:I can’t wait for Vegeta to call Toppo a “candy ass faggot” in the Tournament of Power.
That is not funny in any capacity, and actually incredibly disrespectful

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:48 pm

So, sorry for interrupting this conversation about profanity, but Caulifla and Kale are coming to Dragon Ball Legends. Now you may be wondering "Gus, why are you talking about this here?". Because my friends, this means we get to hear a sneak peek at their English voices sooner than we expected. Who's excited? Cause I know I am.
Caulifla best girl! :)

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:56 pm

shadowmaria wrote:
MajinMan wrote:I can’t wait for Vegeta to call Toppo a “candy ass faggot” in the Tournament of Power.
:roll:

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:30 pm

shadowmaria wrote:
Not that it makes it right, but MajinMan was referring to this.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:49 am

FUNi Sept. Solicits no DBS and no DBS collection either.... Part 4 is out today so that means 3/4 months until the meat of the Trunks arc is on BD (if we assume Part 5 is out in Oct). Can't help but wonder if FUNi's partnership with CR is causing slow down in their long series, they seem to be releasing OP slowly now based on what people have said and they took over a year to release the final part of Fairy Tail S2 despite it already being dubbed and all.

I guess:

Oct: Part 5
Feb: Part 6

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:45 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:FUNi Sept. Solicits no DBS and no DBS collection either.... Part 4 is out today so that means 3/4 months until the meat of the Trunks arc is on BD (if we assume Part 5 is out in Oct). Can't help but wonder if FUNi's partnership with CR is causing slow down in their long series, they seem to be releasing OP slowly now based on what people have said and they took over a year to release the final part of Fairy Tail S2 despite it already being dubbed and all.

I guess:

Man, it's going to be forever until they release the season sets isn't it?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:58 am

supersaiyandoctor wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:FUNi Sept. Solicits no DBS and no DBS collection either.... Part 4 is out today so that means 3/4 months until the meat of the Trunks arc is on BD (if we assume Part 5 is out in Oct). Can't help but wonder if FUNi's partnership with CR is causing slow down in their long series, they seem to be releasing OP slowly now based on what people have said and they took over a year to release the final part of Fairy Tail S2 despite it already being dubbed and all.

I guess:

Man, it's going to be forever until they release the season sets isn't it?
Bizarre thing is September was mostly full of re-releases for FUNi and it would have been 14 months since Part 1 of DBS came out so a first season set would have made sense to come out in Sept.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:40 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:So, sorry for interrupting this conversation about profanity, but Caulifla and Kale are coming to Dragon Ball Legends. Now you may be wondering "Gus, why are you talking about this here?". Because my friends, this means we get to hear a sneak peek at their English voices sooner than we expected. Who's excited? Cause I know I am.
I...kind of am? But remember; this is a video game, and the voice actresses are new to their roles. And we all know how Zamasu sounded in Xenoverse 2, under those conditions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKRkPL6X8EM
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:12 am

Fionordequester wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:So, sorry for interrupting this conversation about profanity, but Caulifla and Kale are coming to Dragon Ball Legends. Now you may be wondering "Gus, why are you talking about this here?". Because my friends, this means we get to hear a sneak peek at their English voices sooner than we expected. Who's excited? Cause I know I am.
I...kind of am? But remember; this is a video game, and the voice actresses are new to their roles. And we all know how Zamasu sounded in Xenoverse 2, under those conditions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKRkPL6X8EM
Zamasu was still voiced by James Marsters and it was enough of an indication to see how he'll sound

Caulifla and Kale will likely be the same situation.