Would you have liked to see Paikuhan/Pikkon in the Universe Survival Arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Would you have liked to see Paikuhan/Pikkon in the Universe Survival Arc?

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:52 pm

So, I was thinking about commenting on the, "How would You Re Work the universes and their teams" thread, and I kept, thinking about what my replacement team for Universe 7 would be. And then, someone popped in my head. So, we know that Goku decided to recruit Freeza who was dead, but was revived temporarily to fight in the Tournament of Power. What if Goku decided to recruit another dead fighter, for the tournament. That being Paikuhan also known as Pikkon. Now I know what you guys are going to say, "But Gus, Pikkon is a filler character, he doesn't exist in Super." Well, keep in mind that we have seen filler characters in Super, like Gregory and Miss Piiza. Now with that being said, would you guys have liked, to see Paikuhan, Pikkon, whatever, in the Universe Survival Arc? I know there are a lot of people who are fans of his character, so that would be an instant "Yes!" for them. But still, I wanna know you guys' opinion on this.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: Would you have liked to see Paikuhan/Pikkon in the Universe Survival Arc?

Post by Xeogran » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:05 pm

Yes, he was one of my favorite parts of Anime DBZ (and like the only good tournament during this era)
I would like to see his interactions with Piccolo too.

A representative from another galaxy would be pretty cool in my book.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:14 am

Well, we already had Piccolo to be fair, and Paikuhan was nothing but an expy. Like most filler characters he was entirely derivative, so having both him and Piccolo in would hace stiifled the diversity of the cast.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:30 am

No. I never found him interesting and I was fine with the team that we ultimately got.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:55 am

Yes I would have liked to see him instead of 17.

I think he is one character that should be more official.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:24 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:Yes I would have liked to see him instead of 17.

The thing is, we already got Piccolo. That's like saying you'd prefer to have Cooler in than Android 17. Derivative characters are superfluous, redundant. The fact that the writers thus far have never been able to give these characters anything in terms of interesting dynamics with other characters does nothing to justify putting them alongside their inspirations. Take Frost, who was just a reskin of Freeza, much like Cooler before him - but both their similarities and their differences were played to advantageously by the writers, justifying having both of them in.

I think Paikuhan would not only have clashed with Piccolo, but Hit too.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:25 am

While I would have liked to see him again I don't think there's much point with Hit around now.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:18 pm

No, he is a knockoff Piccolo. If we got another dead fighter I would rather it be Cell. Or just not have Buu fall asleep.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:38 pm

Anyone would've done more than Tien so yes if that's who he would've replaced.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:53 pm

Saturnine wrote:

The thing is, we already got Piccolo. That's like saying you'd prefer to have Cooler in than Android 17. Derivative characters are superfluous, redundant. The fact that the writers thus far have never been able to give these characters anything in terms of interesting dynamics with other characters does nothing to justify putting them alongside their inspirations. Take Frost, who was just a reskin of Freeza, much like Cooler before him - but both their similarities and their differences were played to advantageously by the writers, justifying having both of them in.

To be fair they kinda changed him in Movie 12. Instead of a Piccolo copy he was this guy who looked cool and serious but kept finding himself in embarrassing situations. If they keep that he would have been fun to see in the tournament. Like, trying to take on the Pride Troopers only to end up against ReBrianne or something.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:28 pm

sintzu wrote:Anyone would've done more than Tien so yes if that's who he would've replaced.
Tien is going to be naturally picked before him.

Frieza or 17 would be the one replaced.

Just because Toriyama and Toei shit on Tien for no reason doesn't mean he shouldn't be there.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:49 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
sintzu wrote:Anyone would've done more than Tien so yes if that's who he would've replaced.

Just because Toriyama and Toei shit on Tien for no reason doesn't mean he shouldn't be there.
*and Toyotaro
Get Fucked, C_unt

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:15 am

Nah. I find Paikuhan to be a pretty bland character.

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:05 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Tien is going to be naturally picked before him.

Frieza or 17 would be the one replaced.

Lol, they weren't replacing 17 or Freeza with how significant they are in this saga. Tenshinhan is much likelier to get replaced than them.

As for the topic, nah I'm good. Paikuhan is pretty meh of a character.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:34 pm

There was nothing special with Paikuhan during the Anoyoichi Budoukai Arc, so why?

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:07 am

EGonzo wrote:
Saturnine wrote:

To be fair they kinda changed him in Movie 12. Instead of a Piccolo copy he was this guy who looked cool and serious but kept finding himself in embarrassing situations. If they keep that he would have been fun to see in the tournament. Like, trying to take on the Pride Troopers only to end up against ReBrianne or something.
Piccolo was also changed the same way in the Buu Saga, specially when his scenes involved Gotenks. Not sure if movie 12 came out around then and may have been an influence, however.

ZeroDio
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZeroDio » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:47 am

I kinda would have preferred a New Female Character that acted kinda like a Universe 7 Counterpart to Hit (her occupation being something like Guardian of a important Universe 7 Shrine) if we didn’t get True Golden Frieza

Don’t get me wrong, I think Pikkon is a interesting character but considering all the female characters we got in the ToP Arc, the only 2 ones I like are the U6 Saiyan Girls.

Maybe as a compromise, we could remove Roshi & Tien to add Pikkon and the proposed U7 Female Counterpart of Hit

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokitalo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:28 am

I like Paikuhan too, but Freeza was undoubtedly the better choice from a story perspective, given his unpredictability. I definitely wouldn't mind future Dragon Ball series revisiting Paikuhan, Olibu and the other Anoyoichi Budoukai fighters, but it might be a while. Sure, it's true that Gregory and Miss Pilza showed up in Super, and of course the anime-only subplot with frog Ginyu finally got resolved, but otherwise the series seemed pretty selective about what "filler" to use.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:50 pm

Torturephile wrote:
EGonzo wrote:
Saturnine wrote: The thing is, we already got Piccolo. That's like saying you'd prefer to have Cooler in than Android 17. Derivative characters are superfluous, redundant. The fact that the writers thus far have never been able to give these characters anything in terms of interesting dynamics with other characters does nothing to justify putting them alongside their inspirations. Take Frost, who was just a reskin of Freeza, much like Cooler before him - but both their similarities and their differences were played to advantageously by the writers, justifying having both of them in.

Piccolo was also changed the same way in the Buu Saga, specially when his scenes involved Gotenks. Not sure if movie 12 came out around then and may have been an influence, however.
Man, you're totally right. Piccolo was so embarrassing in that part I kind of blocked it out.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:34 am

Nah. A filler character that wasn't mentioned after the Otherworld Tournament filler Arc, and only otherwise appeared in a film? Meh. Future Trunks, after staying in the current timeline along with Mai, would make more sense.