If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Re: If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:08 am

Monopolies are not good. History will tell us that.

Thing is, the ideas I see here are perhaps seeing only the short term outcomes that may be positive, like a "good" film to come out within a few years. However, the homogenization of media, ideas, art, political ideology, and communication are all bad. Think of state owned media like in China or the old Soviet Union, and see how ideas floundered and were censored, where many artists were forced to leave to get their ideas and dreams across. It's similar in a corporate dominated state, where less than a handful of corporations own these outlets of media and communication: a filtered world of bland thoughts and ideas due to the tyrannical iron grip corporations hold over society, resulting in heavily controlled channels of mediocrity that fall in-line with the status quo of said ruling corporation(s).

Hence, "playing it safe" tends to already be the norm as it tends to guarantee market and merchandise sales derived from nostalgia, but contains mantra that is just already established acceptable behaviour, ideology, and messages. New, cutting edge story telling can be dangerous if it suggests something that is "unacceptable." Such is why many current "blockbusters"--many coming from Disney--are homoginized, rehashed, and uninspired sequels/prequels/spin-offs of established franchises. Create fresh new characters has often now become a casualty as the monopolies, like Disney, opt for changing some details of an established character disguising this phenomenon as "new" and "creative"; I tend to see it as an easy marketing ploy or to push certain ideologies, but that is just my opinion.

I digress. That is my long winded reasoning to why this is a bad move, not only for Dragon Ball, but all forms of media.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Re: If Disney buys 21st Century Fox they'll be getting the Dragon Ball movie rights

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:21 am

mr.fredsolo wrote:And Fox still owns the movie rights which is why their logo was in front of Battle of Gods and Resurrection F. I believe distributing them allowed Fox to continue to hold on to the rights for a few more years. I don't know when another movie needs to happen before the rights are up for sale again.
Does Fox still own the rights to make Dragon Ball movies? I always just assumed they helped Toei in making Battle of Gods and Resurrection "F". All I remember from the initial announcement of Battle of Gods is that Fox was one of the companies involved, and that part of the reason Toei received the grant from the Japanese government to produce Battle of Gods was becuz of their involvment with Fox (specifically becuz it's an American company). Something about bringing money into Japan thru international sales.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:23 am

King13s wrote:So Disney is gonna own Fox and is partnered with/owns distribution of Ghibli in America.

Disney and 20th Century Fox present:
A Studio Ghibli adaptation:
Goku & the Journey West
I know you're just kidding, but Disney doesn't have anything to do with Ghibli anymore.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:34 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
King13s wrote:So Disney is gonna own Fox and is partnered with/owns distribution of Ghibli in America.

Disney and 20th Century Fox present:
A Studio Ghibli adaptation:
Goku & the Journey West
I know you're just kidding, but Disney doesn't have anything to do with Ghibli anymore.
I thought Disney still had distribution rights in Japan?

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:48 am

Sin wrote:I thought Disney still had distribution rights in Japan?
It looks like Disney Japan distributed the home video release of a few of their more recent films. However, theatrically they were all Toho releases.

Okay, change "Disney doesn't have anything to do with Ghibli anymore" to "Disney essentially doesn't have anything to do with Ghibli anymore." :p
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:29 am

It looks like Disney Japan distributed the home video release of a few of their more recent films. However, theatrically they were all Toho releases.

Okay, change "Disney doesn't have anything to do with Ghibli anymore" to "Disney essentially doesn't have anything to do with Ghibli anymore." :p
I'm just being pedantic. But it does mean we might be importing 20th Century Fox present, a Disney Japan (In association with Studio Ghibli) production: Goku & The Journey West. Comes with a free POP vinyl figure of a golden Oolong.

King13s

Post by King13s » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:01 pm

Sin wrote:

I'm just being pedantic. But it does mean we might be importing 20th Century Fox present, a Disney Japan (In association with Studio Ghibli) production: Goku & The Journey West. Comes with a free POP vinyl figure of a golden Oolong.
Oh man, the golden Oolong makes the perfect package. Now we just need fan artists schooled in Ghibli to do so mock ups and we have a pitch

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:24 pm

So, that happened. Disney owns Fox now.

This will affect the next Dragon Ball movie?

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:57 pm

SSJgogeto wrote:So, that happened. Disney owns Fox now.

This will affect the next Dragon Ball movie?
Not yet, it has been approved by the U.S. Department of Justice but they have to sell off their regional sports networks first. The Fox brand isn't going nowhere unless they absorb it into Disney.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:00 pm

Does anyone believe that Disney would be willing to make new live action Dragon Ball films? They already have more than enough franchises under their belts, but with the decline of Star Wars, is there even a slight possibility that they would be willing to experiment with a new franchise?

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:42 pm

I would LoL if Goku showed up in the mcu.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:42 pm

WittyUsername wrote:Does anyone believe that Disney would be willing to make new live action Dragon Ball films? They already have more than enough franchises under their belts, but with the decline of Star Wars, is there even a slight possibility that they would be willing to experiment with a new franchise?
Star Wars had a set back but it's not on the decline yet.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:45 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:I would LoL if Goku showed up in the mcu.
That’s definitely never going to happen.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:09 pm

Nick Fury shows up at Kame House with Mr. Popo and is like "I'm here to talk to you about the Z Fighter Initiative".

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:14 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
I'm not expecting it at all but stranger things have happened.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:29 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
What about video games? Is that a possibility? Marvel vs DBZ. Maybe after the mouse rules all we could get Marvel vs DBZ vs DC.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:47 pm

dario03 wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
What about video games? Is that a possibility? Marvel vs DBZ. Maybe after the mouse rules all we could get Marvel vs DBZ vs DC.
They’re not going to own the rights to the video games. The games will still be made by Bandai Namco.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:08 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
I’m not sure if they’d even be allowed to do that.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:31 am

Marvel goku = full time superhero who fights for justice, gives his wife a kiss every morning before leaving home, goes to all his kids events and finishes opponents as quick as he can

:roll: :roll:

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:17 am

WittyUsername wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
I’m not sure if they’d even be allowed to do that.
As I said I'm not expecting Disney to make a live action dbz film and then put it the mcu but if Evolution was allowed to be made I don't see why a Dbz movie would be banned from the mcu.