Is Goku an Alpha-male?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Is Goku an Alpha-male?

Post by Low Tone G » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:41 pm

There's no question about his toned body, what about his lack of height? Moreover, do his facial esthetics provide him this title?
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

DragonBallKing
Regular

Re: Is Goku an Alpha-male?

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:53 pm

Low Tone G wrote:There's no question about his toned body, what about his lack of height? Moreover, do his facial esthetics provide him this title?
He's only smashed one sloot his entire life, ultimate beta cuck. :lol:
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:00 pm

An alpha male character is also able to lead others, be a successful speaker that can persuade other people with logic, and rarely senselessly endangering themselves. Clearly, Goku does not possess these qualities, so he is not an alpha male character.

There is actually an "evil" Supreme Kai who brilliantly fits all those points (and more, obviously), But I am digressing.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:02 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:An alpha male character is also able to lead others, be a successful speaker that can persuade other people with logic, and rarely senselessly endangering themselves. Clearly, Goku does not possess these qualities, so he is not an alpha male character.

There is actually an "evil" Supreme Kai who brilliantly fits all those points (and more, obviously), But I am digressing.
Zamasu looks more like a twink to me.

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:45 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:An alpha male character is also able to lead others, be a successful speaker that can persuade other people with logic, and rarely senselessly endangering themselves. Clearly, Goku does not possess these qualities, so he is not an alpha male character.

Yeah, cause Zamasu could successfully persuade other people to his crazy logic ... by slaughtering them. You missed for a mile with this one.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:47 pm

The Zamasu in Goku's body certainly doesn't look like a twink.
Mnich wrote:

Yeah, cause Zamasu could successfully persuade other people to his crazy logic ... by slaughtering them. You missed for a mile with this one.
He persuaded Gowasu to believe that he had changed his opinion about mortals. It is clear that the charming and manipulative Zamasu knew how to deceive people, seeing as he fooled Gowasu, clearly the oldest Supreme Kai in the multiverse, without any issue.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:01 pm

Most Dragon Ball characters are alphas. Many of the villains are sigmas, including Zamasu when he's unopposed.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:04 pm

I actually wanted to talk only and foremost about Goku's appearance... And also, an Alpha male doesn't want to persuade anybody, he does what he wants to and doesn't need permission or validation from anybody, because he has independent confidence and will. This really fits Goku's personality, I mean he is very independent.

And a real-life alpha who has the looks, doesn't need to justify anything he does, because he leads everyone, just because of his physical qualities. Not only women, but other males. He is usually successful, just because of his looks. His strong personality is the result of the very rare physique and overvalidation from the people.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:15 pm

Kokonoe wrote:

I think so too. He is way too calm and obedient to be an alpha male.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:23 pm

Well this is what I found through a quick research on Google, perhaps it is not very accurate, but I had no better source:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... pha%20Male

So if we decide to use the top-rated answer as a basis on which to answer the OP's question, Goku is not an alpha male. I wouldn't define Goku as the "leader" of any pack, since I am pretty sure that he is not the undisputed leader of the Z Warriors. He is also not the "dominant male", since he doesn't beat or abuse his wife. And, Well, It seems obvious that he is not the main source of population on planet Earth.

Now that I think about it, Zamasu is not an alpha male either. He is way too civilized, elegant and polite to be such a rude and primitive barbarian.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:51 pm

There's only one top-tier breedin' Saiyan in this series.

Goodness, look at that impeccable form, that Chad-like chin.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:44 pm

Goku is a Saiyan from Earth.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:29 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:Now that I think about it, Zamasu is not an alpha male either. He is way too civilized, elegant and polite to be such a rude and primitive barbarian.
That's why I said Zamasu is a sigma rather than an alpha, he bucks many of the alpha's surface level aspects while still being calm, confident, and calculating. He's transcendent sigma at best, jilted gamma or omega at worst. And if you wanted to be silly about it, he could also be a lambda!
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:32 pm

Goku is a vocel.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:10 pm

Kuwabara wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:Now that I think about it, Zamasu is not an alpha male either. He is way too civilized, elegant and polite to be such a rude and primitive barbarian.
That's why I said Zamasu is a sigma rather than an alpha, he bucks many of the alpha's surface level aspects while still being calm, confident, and calculating. He's transcendent sigma at best, jilted gamma or omega at worst. And if you wanted to be silly about it, he could also be a lambda!
I'd say omega fits him perfectly.

"Omega Male: You are very much like the alpha male, the primary distinction being that where the Alpha "recharges" in groups you "recharge" by being alone. Like the alpha male you are confident, intelligent and have a sense of charisma about you, but unlike the alpha male, you are completely your own person. Your strength doesn't flow from those around you, it comes from within. You do not need anyone, and you can even be emotionally distant due to your complete self-possession, though you won't see yourself as distant at all. You trust few people and foster even fewer intimate relationships, people must earn your trust, it is not given freely. Omegas generally make the best leaders, though they never seek out the position. More accurately, it is cast upon them by their peers at which point they reluctantly accept the position until their primary goals are achieved; at which point they seek to leave the position as quickly as possible, which is the polar opposite of the Alpha Male. George Washington is famously Omega in leadership personality and was called "The greatest character of our age" for stepping down from his position of power willingly, despite popular demand for him to stay in power."
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:16 am

a plus thread title lmao.

yea idk maybe. alpha is kind of a stupid word lol, and the idea of alpha males and shit promotes a toxic culture imo.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:47 am

Alpha males are traditional heroes. Goku is more a subversion of that.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:14 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:a plus thread title lmao.

yea idk maybe. alpha is kind of a stupid word lol, and the idea of alpha males and shit promotes a toxic culture imo.
The hierarchy is very real, the problem is that people use it to make others feel bad instead of building them up to what they can be.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:18 am

Goku is a superhero with a muscled up body but an alpha male? Not even close. Son Goku never fully grew to being a mature guy and has always been a happy-go-lucky somewhat immature guy who has never been defined as the definitive solid male character.

You want an alpha male character from the Dragon Ball universe? Broly.
Soppa Saia People wrote:a plus thread title lmao.

There are strong and weak men, so would you send weak guys to fight a battle you know they couldn't win? Maybe, depending on the plan but the whole "alpha is kind of a stupid word" and "idea of alpha males and shit promotes a toxic culture" is nonsense.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:16 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:You want an alpha male character from the Dragon Ball universe? Broly.
Nope. Broly isn't an alpha male at all, and a lot of this discussion seems to be fundamentally misunderstanding what these terms mean and are relying on the alt-right's memetic perversion of them (a misunderstanding driven by looking at non-human animals and retrofitting us to fit these definitions). As a result, there's this idea that an alpha male is someone who lacks emotions except for masculine bravado and anger, kills grizzly bears and crocodiles for fun, has mountains for abs, eats raw meat, and wouldn't take his own shit's shit. Basically a caveman.
Broly is the antithesis of an alpha male. When unrestrained, he's destructive and psychotic, the very definition of "violence". He doesn't fit into any of the categories because they require some element of stability to figure out. What's more, they're also based on sexuality and reproduction rights. Despite all the fan fiction, Broly (at least old Broly) would beat any female he sees to death long before he thought of mating with her because he is driven only by primal Saiyan instincts— destroy, fight, destroy. By nature, one of the last things an alpha male wants to do is destroy— he wants to win. You've got to be both kind and assertive. If you're just violent, you'll endanger the group. Violence has to serve a purpose. An "alpha male" who just destroys his own family's home in a rage and makes an enemy out of the world for his own kicks screwed his chances at reproducing, which is the fundamental reason why he's not an alpha male.
Incels, of course, take this misunderstanding so far that they even delude themselves into thinking that women get sexually aroused by school shootings because "the shooter is so assertive and dominant!" I'm not even joking about this, this is seriously their belief.

Vegeta is much closer to being an alpha male than any of them. Specifically late-Z-into-Super Vegeta. I'd even go so far as to say that's one reason why he's become so much more popular lately.

Aaaand I just wrote this on a Dragon Ball Z forum.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.