Significance of Piccolo in the first official images from 2018 DBS movie

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Significance of Piccolo in the first official images from 2018 DBS movie

Post by larzooma » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:10 am

If you consider the first set of images from the upcoming DBS movie, the inclusion of Piccolo alongside Goku and Vegeta means one of a few possibilities for developing his character.

1. They use the movie, which is confirmed canon, to finally introduce a mechanism to bring Piccolo closer to the top tier fighters. The fact he's standing beside Goku and Vegeta in SSJB, may indicate he's capable of contributing to a fight against an opponent strong enough to cause Goku and Vegeta to transform. The final arc of DBS, and beyond, seems to give the notion of "fan service" a little more weight, and bringing Piccolo back to his former glory is something people discussed since the start of DBS (or the start of the Buu saga).

2. The Namekian and Saiyan past is further intertwined, beyond the brief mention that the technique for attaining SSJG is found in the Namekian Book of Legends. The arrival of an ancient Saiyan may open the door to explore the past of both races, and realize they played a major role in past events.

3. The story of Zalama is finally explored, and as many people expect, he's directly related to the Namekians in some way. Introducing Zalama is not only interesting, but it's a perfect way to explore the first two possibilities for Piccolo's storyline. He could act as the tool Piccolo needs to unlock a power or form that allows him to gain a substantial amount. It's also possible the link between the races starts with Zalama. He's probably the father to the whole Namekian race, and he may have come in contact with the Sayians.

Does anyone else think including Piccolo with Goku and Vegeta holds a particular meaning beyond arbitrary choice of characters?

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Significance of Piccolo in the first official images from 2018 DBS movie

Post by Lionel » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:54 am

I don't believe it entails any more significance than what his placement in the Champa arc promotional art ultimately resulted in. Piccolo happens to be an iconic face with the Dragon Ball franchise and the people behind the scenes are likely just capitalising on his image for the film's benefit. No one appears to want to offer him a means for escaping the combatively desolate situation he's been reduced to so this is just little more than carrot-on-a-stick marketing, in my opinion.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:11 am

Means absolutely nothing. People are forgetting Beerus and Whis are also there and it's highly likely they're gonna play a supportive role. Hell the Piccolo we have still has his turban get up ie not in serious battle whereas we have 2 transformation designs for Goku and Vegeta already.

Piccolo got significant marketing for ResF and was the only non- Saiyan character to get a main prize figure for the film but all he did was just fight mooks in the actual film.

I love Piccolo I'd love for him to be actually involved in a plot, until we see more of the actual film ie a trailer then I'm not holding my breath at all.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:32 am

I learnt to not be hyped by images or teasers of an upcoming film, so I don't expect Piccolo to be significant in the Super movie at all. To me, in most movies, he's always been one of the guys to take part in defeating the villain's squad before getting tormented by the villain. Nothing too special.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:30 pm

Means nothing dont get your hopes up
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:44 pm

Even if he did turn out to have a big role I would still say this meant nothing.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:58 pm

The story of Zalama could be explored in some way to include piccolo but I'm not sure it's his intention for now

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:50 am

Wait, we have new images? :shock: Where in the heck have I missed these, I can't seem to find them in the official movie thread?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)