Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:26 pm

They said the movie would be about the Saiyans, their history, would include Freeza and the main villain is a Saiyan. Then they decide to air only three movies in particular:
*Broly, the Legendary Super Saiyan - The main villain being a Saiyan.
*Bardock, The Father of Goku - The backstory of the Saiyans, including Freeza.
*Fusion Reborn - showcasing and highlighting Gogeta. This may seem like the odd one out, but isn't for this reason: the recent Dragon Ball Heroes anime. It features a SSB Vegetto going up against an evil Saiyan.

The clues were there this whole time. Unless they have something else up their sleeve (they likely will), they've basically just given away the main plot points of this new movie by taking from other movies and media outside the main continuity of Toriyama (hell, the new Broly even has a transformation that's SS4-like with LSS in it too).

So really, the debate that opens up from this will be: are we gonna get Vegetto or Gogeta in this new movie? Or maybe something else?

Personally, I'm not gonna overreact to this one. We've survived the Dragon Ball Super anime, so I think we'll be fine.
Last edited by TheShadowEmperor8055 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:27 pm

Comment from Toriyama:
Everyone, are you familiar with Broly?

He's an incredibly strong Saiyan who only appeared in the old anime movies, and I apparently at least drew the designs for him, but I had practically no involvement with the anime at the time, so I had totally forgotten about the story content.

So, about Broly. I hear these days, he's still very popular not only in Japan, but also overseas. Based on that, my editor suggested we have Broly appear in this next movie.

I went ahead and watched the movies from back then, and I felt this could be quite interesting once I rearrange some things. I got right to work trying my hand at a story that incorporates him into the Dragon Ball Super series.

While keeping in mind Broly's classic image so as not to disappoint his fans, I updated him and added a new side to his character, and I think this has resulted in a more fascinating Broly.

Naturally you’ll get to see fierce combat, but also, the paths of destiny that lead to an encounter between Goku, Vegeta, and Broly. It also involves the Frieza Force and the history of the Saiyans, which end up having a major connection to everything. The story content turns out to be very large-scale and dramatic.

Here comes that almighty Saiyan, Broly! I'm also including lots of other content all you fans will enjoy, so look forward to it, and be patient a while longer for it all to come together!!
So, about Broly. I hear these days, he's still very popular not only in Japan, but also overseas. Based on that, my editor suggested we have Broly appear in this next movie.
Oh, no...
While keeping in mind Broly's classic image so as not to disappoint his fans,
Disappoint them if you have to. Their disappointment shouldn't be a factor at all.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:28 pm

I still can't believe it. Like Goku doesn't even look like his trailer design in this image. I've become very cynical of any media I consume in the past year or so. The simplicity of Goku's design in the trailer is seems to be absent from my perspective. Unless they are planning to go down this route.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:29 pm

jelleline89 wrote:https://twitter.com/ToeiAnimation/statu ... 07488?s=19

Thanks for FINALLY unlocking this thread. It was confirmed over an hour ago by Toei's official Twitter.

Kinda disappointed they're using Broly again but I'll keep my hopes up.
To be fair the translation of what Toriyama said about the film cushions the blow a hell of a lot. It’s Broly, but not the Broly from the other films from the sound of it. So this is Toriyamas Broly I guess.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:29 pm

So it is true... They weren't satisfied in bringing back Freeza (then Trunks and then Vegetto), now the worst movie character is coming back for the fourth time and to the main continuity. If this is a joke, this is the worst I've ever heard. :|

People bash Heroes when the "main series" is doing a lot worse with its endless tournaments and shit arcs. :lol: Oh god... Well, I give up expecting that the main series will be better and will learn from the games to bring cool stuff. I'll stick with the games that are far more interesting and better, and they don't have Toriyama's involvement, which is great! :thumbup:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:30 pm

Grimlock wrote:So it is true... They weren't satisfied in bringing back Freeza (then Trunks and then Vegetto), now the worst movie character is coming back for the fourth time and to the main continuity. If this is a joke, this is the worst I've ever heard. :|

People bash Heroes when the "main series" is doing a lot worse with its endless tournaments and shit arcs. :lol: Oh god... Well, I give up expecting that the main series will be better and will learn from the games to bring cool stuff. I'll stick with the games that are far more interesting and better, and they don't have Toriyama's involvement, which is great! :thumbup:
Worst movie character? that's harsh.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:30 pm

So Broly is back again. Can't wait to see him be called BINO when he turns out different from the other Broly.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:32 pm

I was right about LSSJ vibe in the trailer :thumbup:. How will Frieza fit in this movie with this bombshell dropping so soon.
Mostly active on discord.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:32 pm

Grimlock wrote: People bash Heroes when the "main series" is doing a lot worse with its endless tournaments and shit arcs. :lol: Oh god... Well, I give up expecting that the main series will be better and will learn from the games to bring cool stuff. I'll stick with the games that are far more interesting and better, and they don't have Toriyama's involvement, which is great! :thumbup:
Yeah no. Nothing comes close to the garbage stuff Heroes is doing.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:33 pm

Man, Broly haters will be eating crow soup for all of eternity.
Feels over Reals.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:33 pm

This is going to be the greatest movie EVER.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:34 pm

Grimlock wrote:People bash Heroes when the "main series" is doing a lot worse with its endless tournaments and shit arcs. :lol: Oh god... Well, I give up expecting that the main series will be better and will learn from the games to bring cool stuff. I'll stick with the games that are far more interesting and better, and they don't have Toriyama's involvement, which is great! :thumbup:

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:34 pm

I'm profoundly disappointed by these news. :|
Not that I don't have hope that Mr.Toriyama can deliver a good story and make Broly more than a brain-dead villain. It's the lack of originality, there's a fear of anything new and clearly Mr.Toriyama at this point is happy to oblige to editors/man-in-suits, if all he can offer is delivered after executives make the mold first then I'm ready to let go of him.

These news a couple of years ago would but ridiculed as false, how the World has changed.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:35 pm

Zephyr wrote:
Grimlock wrote:People bash Heroes when the "main series" is doing a lot worse with its endless tournaments and shit arcs. :lol: Oh god... Well, I give up expecting that the main series will be better and will learn from the games to bring cool stuff. I'll stick with the games that are far more interesting and better, and they don't have Toriyama's involvement, which is great! :thumbup:
LMAO! This guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Or maybe he is trolling? I can't tell...
Last edited by BrolyKale on Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

PhoenixCyke

Post by PhoenixCyke » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:35 pm

WAY DISAPPOINTED! Why reharsh Broly? We already had Kale. I thought we were going to have someone new or Yamoshi. The story for the saiyans wasn't soemthing interesting but I was hoping for soemthing else entirely than Broly. This seems like fanservice. :(

I also found this:
Last edited by PhoenixCyke on Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:36 pm

People should at least give the movie a chance. It's clear by Toriyama's message that he intends to change Broly's character, so the Broly we get in this movie certainly won't be the same one from movies 8 and 10. I don't particularly like Broly either, but the fact that they're changing his character in this movie means they realize his original character was pretty awful. That's a promising sign IMO.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:37 pm

I'm completely unsure how to feel about any of this, now that it's official. I'd kind of hopes it wouldn't be, mostly because I know exactly how every different side of the fanbase is going to react to this and clash with one another. It's not gonna be pretty. :lol: ... :?

For myself, personally, though? I'm...still unsure how to feel. I mean, I actually like the first Broly movie, and feel like it's easily one of the more cinematic of the old DBZ films (though definitely not as much as movie 13), and I'm even more-or-less okay with Broly himself. He definitely degraded as time went on, but at first, he was a fun enough 'wall' villain.

The idea of bringing him back though, and the idea of making a 'canon' version of him on top of the already existing older version though? That just invites so much confusion and difficulty that it's pretty hard for me to imagine this working out very well. I have hope that I'll be proven wrong, especially with Toriyama on board, but...I dunno. This just seems like a misstep, or at least potentially could be one.

I also question what the purpose of Kale was then, when we already HAVE a re-done Broly in her. Unless this somehow connects to that, like she's Broly's descendant, or him reincarnated, or...something. I dunno.

I also can already feel Vic Mignogna's poor vocal cords cringing at the mere idea. :lol:
Last edited by Gyt Kaliba on Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:37 pm

RedHeat wrote:Man, Broly haters will be eating crow soup for all of eternity.
Will they though? If the new Broly ends up being a far better written character rather than the original braindead muscle mass, the hate will only be more justified
Last edited by Basaku on Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:37 pm

I would like to know who this editor, who suggested it, actually is. Because they are clearly largely disconnected with the fans to think that adding such a controversial character would actually be a good idea.

Yes, there are fans of Broly. But he largely splits the fans. There are many who feel that he's oversaturated in the franchise. Among other reasons for not liking him off course. If you're not losing half your audience then you're at least losing a large chunk by pulling this move.

People they could have safely maintained by doing the story about literally anything else. Even one focusing on Yamoshi, which I thought this movie was going to be mostly about.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:38 pm

BrolyKale wrote:Worst movie character? that's harsh.
It's the reality.
Basaku wrote:Yeah no. Nothing comes close to the garbage stuff Heroes is doing.
Yeah, yes. Dragon Ball Minus, Movie 15, Dragon Ball Super and this crap movie have already surpassed the "garbage stuff" Heroes does.
Zephyr wrote:[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
So? Giving forms to Broly is part of the what-if concept that Heroes works upon. Heroes also gives other characters their shine moment, they also focus on other and more interesting characters.

Coming here and posting random images aren't giving you any good counterpoint at all.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~