Remastered DVD's VS Dragon Box quality comparison thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ssgOverlord
Patreon Supporter

Post by ssgOverlord » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:16 am

I honestly would like to see some comparisons from Funi's season 3 box set. The colors looked pretty good, compared to season 1.
I think I'll be buying assorted Dragon Ball things for the rest of my life.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:35 am

ssgOverlord wrote:I honestly would like to see some comparisons from Funi's season 3 box set. The colors looked pretty good, compared to season 1.
I believe there were some previously. Check the old "Season Three" thread, they should be there if the links aren't dead.

-Corey

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:09 am

SSJToreto wrote:
remastered

Dragon Box

I hate how in the remastered sets, so many of the ki attacks (one of the most prominent aspects of DBZ) are brightened to the point of blurriness.
I can see their parachutes.

PrincessVegeta
Banned

Post by PrincessVegeta » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:03 pm

ssgOverlord wrote:I honestly would like to see some comparisons from Funi's season 3 box set. The colors looked pretty good, compared to season 1.
The Season 3 set improved imo and look at the excelent darker colour of vegeta, it's perect imo.
It also makes the anime look newer but doesn't overdo the colours, at least not in season 3.

Sadly I don't own the dbox version so I can't compare this image, but surely you guys can do that for ssgOverlord :3
The Ultimate Funimation Fangirl.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:20 pm

Screencaps and even movie clips can't really do the R2 dvds justice. You really have to see them in motion on a high definition TV to see the difference.

I remember before I got the season 1 set, I was kind of convinced it looked "good" until I actually watched it. :x

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:47 pm

TripleRach wrote:TheGreatness25, I don't know about anyone else, but the reason I sometimes pick apart your posts is because, frankly, you say a lot of ridiculous, unsubstantiated things.

And it just so happens that I am Rachel, Defender of Truth and Accuracy. I cannot allow baseless claims and misinformation to go uncorrected. I must deliver punishment to all evildoers who do not do their research and mislead others. It is both my duty... and my curse......

[Insert photoshopping of my head pasted onto Great Saiyaman's body]
Good God, Rachel, that made me laugh way too hard. The coughing fit afterwards was unpleasant, but that was awesome. XD

biohazard
Not-So-Newbie

Post by biohazard » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:01 pm

DBOX:

:wink:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:25 pm

I just noticed something...the Season Sets look better in still shots than the Dragon Box still shots do. That's an irony. :roll:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:04 pm

biohazard wrote:Image

DBOX:

That seems like a pretty decent shot. However, I can't help but think that the Season-set looks like a VHS-shot...

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:18 pm

GizmoKSX wrote:Image
"Remastered" Arlia obviously requires a more powerful ki blast to destroy.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:21 pm

pledge wrote:^ i know youre joking, but I'm far from a kid.
SSJToreto wrote:
pledge wrote:^form those pics the remastered version looks way better than the dragon boxes.
In what way? :?
personal taste, but i think in those shots the dragon box looks dull in comparison. the remastered images have a crisper look with a better contrast. obviously you think the dragon boxes look better, so let me ask the same question you asked me. from those images, in what way are the dragon box ones better? then again, that is just from those shots, i'd have to see actual footage to make a proper comparison.

but lets face it, when colours are enhanced (to a tolerable extent), it makes things more attractive. unless you are trying to pull off something gritty like batman, but cmon..this is dragon ball z. there are a lot of colours and imo enhancing them and making them stand out more is better aesthetically.
I like DBox better because, with the exception of cleaning up dirt or the film itself being well-preserved, I prefer for a show to look it's age.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:25 pm

SSJToreto wrote:Image
Huh...is it me or does the rock on the right side of this shot have that "dissapearing-line" thing going on? :P

Man, I can't wait to pick up the R2 singles.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:48 pm

On the monitor of the computer I'm using right now, I turned the contrast down to 60% and the brightness down to 80% and the season set images look a lot better now. They're still not as good as the DBox ones but they're not as "Nick Jr." bright as they normally appear. It's kind of a happy medium.

Now only if FUNi could've done that themselves so I don't have to adjust my TV or computer monitor to look at these images.

I also watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8JqBhbS4-E in the same minotor setting. While still having some obvious flaws that TV settings can't fix, they were subdued by the lower brightness and contrast settings.
(they/she)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:52 pm

lol I guess it's too far out of FUNimation's power to make sure that you don't have to adjust your TV or monitor to get a decent looking picture.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:57 pm

Vegard Aune wrote: That seems like a pretty decent shot. However, I can't help but think that the Season-set looks like a VHS-shot...
The season 3 set seems to be a bit of a step up from season 2 (Oh god the colours!, my eyes!, MY EYES!)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:10 pm

On my TV, it looks pretty good. But on the comp, it looks horrible. Then again, I adjusted my TV to make it look half way normal.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:11 pm

Good thing the manga doesn't have colors to fuck up. :lol:
(they/she)

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:17 pm

Kendamu wrote:Good thing the manga doesn't have colors to fuck up. :lol:
I can't wait for the VIZ Big releases, let the collecting begin!, goodbye widescreen!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:40 pm

lol Next thing you know, Viz will release the Widescreen "meant to be seen" version of the DBZ Manga. How you might ask? By chopping off the top and bottom and coloring them in with bootleg colors, like the toys you'd find in China Town. Suddenly Goku's uniform is purple and Vegeta has a gray costume. Tien is in a purple uniform and Bulma's hair is blond.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO CAN'T FIGURE OUT, that was a joke :) If that were to really happen though, as upsetting as it would be, it would be a lot more funny than it would be sad. Kind of like the "Remastered" bricks that FUNimation favors so much, I see them as more funny than they are sad, but it's close.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:02 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Next thing you know, Viz will release the Widescreen "meant to be seen" version of the DBZ Manga. How you might ask? By chopping off the top and bottom and coloring them in with bootleg colors
Just so you know, the word "bootleg" isn't a synonym for "crappy" it's basically just an illegal copy of a product, they vary of course, some bootlegs are just exact copies of the original, and some are a little..tampered with.

As for Viz, we don't need to worry about cropping and crappy colours, just a moronic and inconsistant editing standard and silly name translations.

Djinn Buu? Ick.