Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Miracles
I Live Here

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Miracles » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:54 am

Let me get this straight...The whiners are telling me they don't want a overpowered behemoth in a show that's all about battle? With his awesome character to boot, where Broly gives no pancake flips about anything but destruction? A TRUE Saiyan whose sole purpose is power and barbarity...which answers the legends of the legendary Super Saiyan of the very DB story?

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:56 am

HeroR wrote:
Kanassa wrote:Alright, so going off the other examples of Super... Broly's gonna be amazing and the best part of the film? Alright. I can dig it.
Glad to see you remained positive. :D

I'm not a fan of Broly, but I'm interested in the changes Toriyama made in him. I mean, I'm one of the people who liked what Super did with Kale. At the very least, I can't see them doing any worst than, 'Broly triggered over a crying baby as a newborn'.
I'm just saying, Super has a record for 'The things fans cry out is bad fanfiction and would never work becomes the part that is genuinely agreed to be the best part'
JazzMazz wrote: Well, there was thought and effort placed into the how those tournaments were going to play out, and how the production was going to handle that.

Nakamura and Takami's interview about the universal survival arc more than demonstrates that there was indeed a great amount of thought and care placed into creating the TOP and I think it goes into a lot of depth about how and why they handled things the way they did.
I'd say details such as Goku re-enacting his fight with Grandpa Gohan and the parallel to Trunks getting killed by Cell in the Future Trunks Saga is a good indication that there is care there no matter if you like or dislike it.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:28 am

You people are freaking out over nohting, seriously, calm your tits. It obviously won't be the same Broly of the past movies. We don't even know the details, and the fandom meltdown is already happening.
Get Fucked, C_unt

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:33 am

Vegeta_Sama wrote:You people are freaking out over nohting, seriously, calm your tits. It obviously won't be the same Broly of the past movies. We don't even know the details, and the fandom meltdown is already happening.
I just woke up and people are still moaning, yawning, crying? oooooh dear God. :lol: :lol:

But at the end people will get used to it and some will even start liking Broly. :D
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:38 am

BrolyKale wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:You people are freaking out over nohting, seriously, calm your tits. It obviously won't be the same Broly of the past movies. We don't even know the details, and the fandom meltdown is already happening.
I just woke up and people are still moaning, yawning, crying? oooooh dear God. :lol: :lol:

But at the end people will get used to it and some will even start liking Broly. :D
Exactly. Just like when people hated the idea of Evil Goku, but then loved him as soon as they saw him on screen
Get Fucked, C_unt

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:43 am

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:

Exactly. Just like when people hated the idea of Evil Goku, but then loved him as soon as they saw him on screen
This has been the reaction to everything starting from BOG. It starts with a lot of hate only for everyone to love it once they see it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:46 am

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:

I think people are under chock right now and may over-react to this, so I will just leave them enough time to get used to this. This "new" Broly is a very interesting idea, they can do anything with him, its pretty exciting. Its not the end of the world, its just an anime, you can dislike it if you want, but seriously, at least lets see more about this new Broly before bashing him.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:12 am

I have a question for everyone who're completely against this. If you're in charge of DB from a business standpoint and you know that people like certain concepts like Broly and you know Toriyama not only wants to do them but can also make them work, what would you do ? Keep in mind you're still going to get your new concepts mixed in liked Beerus, Hit, the pride troopers, etc.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:23 am

It's great being a Broly fan right now, finally new discussions will open up, gone are the days I'll have to rely on old material, it's a new age and end of many low-balling Broly, that SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT factor was missing since Broly died, here's a fresh chance to bring it back..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:32 am

Ki Breaker wrote:It's a new age and end of many low-balling Broly, here's a fresh chance to bring it back..
This isn't just a new age for Broly but now every Toei concept has a chance at a new life under Toriyama's wise pen. We could get Gogeta (he may be in this movie) and Cooler reintroduced, Ssj4 could become a thing, the shadow dragons could make a comeback, we may explore some time patrol stories with Trunks, etc. The sky's the limit for what can be done. With that said, I still want new concepts like Beerus and Hit.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:53 am

the big question I have now with this movie isnt even what the fuck broly is doing here

it's if paragus, the moustache dad of the year, is now canon in some form? Even if broly mentions he was killed before he came to the planet or if he's seen in a flashback

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:54 am

sintzu wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:It's a new age and end of many low-balling Broly, here's a fresh chance to bring it back..
This isn't just a new age for Broly but now every Toei concept has a chance at a new life under Toriyama's wise pen. We could get Gogeta (he may be in this movie) and Cooler reintroduced, Ssj4 could become a thing, the shadow dragons could make a comeback, we may explore some time patrol stories with Trunks, etc. The sky's the limit for what can be done. With that said, I still want new concepts like Beerus and Hit.
Sky being the limit is only safe when Toriyama is piloting it, his twists avoid collisions, makes things interesting and keeps the franchise going, but even considering that, there are things Toriyama might not be interested in adding his twists to, he is very picky about this, as such I don't think everything has a chance to make it into the main continuity..

Hopefully Broly's backstory is something Toriyama touched upon, that needed some serious work..
mahakaishin1991 wrote:what the fuck broly is doing here
That's the movie, all of it..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

DiamondX

Post by DiamondX » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:07 am

I'm not a Broly fan.

However, if Toryiama manages to make Broly likeable I won't be against it. I still won't like the original Broly, but Super's Broly.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:11 am

DiamondX wrote:I'm not a Broly fan.

However, if Toryiama manages to make Broly likeable I won't be against it. I still won't like the original Broly, but Super's Broly.
Rare to see these kind of comments...
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Xaroc
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xaroc » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:14 am

Oh pls no... why Broly? Now we have to deal with him three times in future games like Xenoverse 3 (whenever that's gonna drop): Original Broly, Kale and Neo Broly.
Although I'm not a Broly Fan I don't hate him. I just think he is overused in Games and Movies. Only his first Movie would have been enough (since the second one made him braindead and the third one was just a clone).

Of course I won't stop watching Super and I will definitely watch this Movie (hoping it will make Broly better and give him more background than just "Kakarotto!", "I'm the devil [for no reason except my power is maximum]!", being almost literally The Hulk and "Kakarotto!" [ups, already wrote that one down] and some new Moves [better ones, that can be better used in games])

And I think it's to much to hope that they will replace Original Broly with Neo Broly in games from now on, isn't it? I can already see Parallel Quests in Xenoverse featuring DBS Goku and Xeno Goku vs Original Broly and Neo Broly (Revenge of the double "Kakarotto!") or Original Broly vs Neo Broly (Who is the true Devil?) and so on.

Yes, I know I'm writing more about the games than anything else, but fact is: a Movie and it's Story once aired are set. What you can use in Games is limited by those Movies. Who you play as, what moves you use with him, what story of the game is set around those movies and characters, and so on.
PSN: Xaroc__
(playing Xenoverse 2 on PS5)
CaC-Name: Xaroc

交代だ ("Kōtaida")
"My turn." - Roxas, 2019

DiamondX

Post by DiamondX » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:27 am

BrolyKale wrote:

At first I was against the idea as well since I don't find Broly's backstory and motivation that good. (I actually find them terrible)

However, seeing Toryiama telling us that he in a way will reboot Broly gives me a hope that they won't screw it up this time.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:30 am

Xaroc wrote:Oh pls no... why Broly?
From Toriyama himself : "I hear these days, he’s still very popular not only in Japan, but also overseas. Based on that, my editor suggested we have Broly appear in this next movie".

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:34 am

DiamondX wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:

At first I was against the idea as well since I don't find Broly's backstory and motivation that good. (I actually find them terrible)

However, seeing Toryiama telling us that he in a way will reboot Broly gives me a hope that they won't screw it up this time.
Well, at least you give that new Broly a chance, which is good.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:42 am

Can't stand Broly, but will reserve judgement in this instance. My main beef with Broly was that he was boring - no personality, no motivation and no character. He's popular for no reason other than being a mentally unstable, unstoppable juggernaught. And I'm sorry (my opinion only here) but that's just crap.
Lets use a character from another franchise entirely as an example - the Hulk. Lets say they made a brand-new movie about him that failed to explore almost anything about his background (Bruce Banner) or anything of his personality and just had him smashing things, beating everyone up and yelling "HULK SMASH!" throughout the entirety of the movie. THAT is almost exactly what happened with the Broly movies.

As I said though, I'll reserve judgement. I'm hoping that the unimaginative non-character I hate will remain in the gargage where it belongs. The new movie could well be a 'clean slate' for the Broly character; there is a chance he'll be given what his previous movie incarnation lacked; a personality.
Last edited by SonReggie on Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:43 am

Just noticed, Broly has his tail intact..Oozaru Broly?

Just what we needed, a legendary Super Saiyan going Great ape
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by Ki Breaker on Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.