Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:06 pm

What if that Saiyan at the bottom of the poster is another Saiyan? Like Broly comes with another Saiyan and he is the weaker side-kick type? That would be crazy and hillarious for Broly fans.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:08 pm

PFM18 wrote:What if that Saiyan at the bottom of the poster is another Saiyan? Like Broly comes with another Saiyan and he is the weaker side-kick type? That would be crazy and hillarious for Broly fans.
The movie's title is literally "Dragon Ball Super: Broly"

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:14 pm

OverHeaven wrote:
PFM18 wrote:What if that Saiyan at the bottom of the poster is another Saiyan? Like Broly comes with another Saiyan and he is the weaker side-kick type? That would be crazy and hillarious for Broly fans.
The movie's title is literally "Dragon Ball Super: Broly"
Yeah I know. But you never know with Toriyama. Ya just never know.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:16 pm

A reimagined Broly seems like a wonderful idea if his backstory is added upon, really curious how everything ties in together, so many possibilities, will Freeza turn out to be the reason why Broly was ordered to die because he feared such a strong born Saiyan can go LSS? Would we see Ultra instinct? Are Universe 6 Saiyans involved if so when is Frost finally gonna destroy the dump?
Will hit be involved? What about Jiren?

I wanna keep expectations to a minimum, but the movie being long leaves a little wiggle room, hope it's utilized well
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

SuperVirginGod

Post by SuperVirginGod » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:41 pm

:clap: :clap: TOEI's marketing team is spot on at this stage.

When i first saw this poster on Twitter (a random guy tweeted it to toyotaro asking if it's true i had no idea about the official reveal) i was like, "what a poor Fanmade poster lol idiot brolytards this absolutely cant be true". Then i scrolled through youtube's front page and it was all about this poster and again i went "how stupid are these guys lol even anime ajay?" then i saw toriyama's statement and it confirmed.
I guess others had same disbelief due to how unreal and risky it sounds ( not financial wise).

And some are too late with the complaints of unoriginality and future of DB. They should have reacted the same to Super saiyan Cyan and GOLD frieza, i still hate these two "transformation s" to this day. I am keeping my expectations low but very positive about this movie.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:46 pm

Melkaniator wrote:Overused and recycled, that's more the issue with me.
Not really. It's the first time Broly is in the canon story.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:49 pm

mecha3000 wrote:Once again, this shows that no matter how much some of you purists think you know or control Dragon Ball, you don't. No one does. Only Toei and Toriyama. I recall so many fans saying, "Broly will never return or shouldn't return. He's not canon, so forget it". Well, he's pretty much canon now depending on your definition of the term.
You have to admit that it wasn't likely at all that we'd see him again, at least not from Toriyama. I've been defending this movie since Broly was announced and even I said we wouldn't get him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:56 pm

sintzu wrote:You have to admit that it wasn't likely at all that we'd see him again, at least not from Toriyama. I've been defending this movie since Broly was announced and even I said we wouldn't get him.
I think the really unexpected and unpredictable part of this is that Toriyama found something compelling in his character when he couldn't even remember who the guy was.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Ya know, as annoying as it is that they’re once again recycling an old villain in a cynical attempt to make more money, I might be willing to overlook this if they really do succeed in making Brody a more fleshed out character, but with that being said, couldn’t they have come up with a better title than Dragon Ball Super: Broly?

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:58 pm

Wow. The current state of this franchise and the fans it currently panders to is a travesty.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:05 pm

Miracles wrote:
Melkaniator wrote:Overused and recycled, that's more the issue with me.
Not really. It's the first time Broly is in the canon story.
Right. In terms of the main continuity it hasn't been used at all so it can't possibly be overused.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:08 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:Wow. The current state of this franchise and the fans it currently panders to is a travesty.
It’s the west’s fault for liking Broly too much.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:08 pm

majinwarman wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:The guy in the original teaser doesn't seem to have a scar in the close-up.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Looking at Broly's art on the poster, we should be able to at least see the tip of it on his cheek. Maybe we do have more than one Saiyan here? Paragus' VA strongly suggests he could be in the movie too and if he also gets rebooted, there's no telling what he could be like. :think:
I think that it has been confirmed that Paragus will be in the new movie as well.
Link plz because moustache dad is my life and i need proof before i get excited

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:09 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:Wow. The current state of this franchise and the fans it currently panders to is a travesty.
Judging by the fact that his name was trending in Japanese yesterday, he seems to be pretty popular in Jalan as well.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:13 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Judging by the fact that his name was trending in Japanese yesterday, he seems to be pretty popular in Jalan as well.
Thats only because:

1. Anime is more popular their so something anime-related has a higher chance of trending

2. Dragon Ball is hella popular in general

3. The shock of a nom-canon character being the main villain of the dbs movie is enough to to cause buzz from even people who aren’t as crazy about Broly

He’s WAY more popular in the west.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:23 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: He’s WAY more popular in the west.
I'm not so sure about that. When Broly was trending in western fandom, it reached about 22 K tweets last I checked. For the Japanese fandom I saw 66 K.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:25 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: It’s the west’s fault for liking Broly too much.
Thats only because:

1. Anime is more popular their so something anime-related has a higher chance of trending

2. Dragon Ball is hella popular in general

3. The shock of a nom-canon character being the main villain of the dbs movie is enough to to cause buzz from even people who aren’t as crazy about Broly

He’s WAY more popular in the west.
Didn’t Toriyama partially justify including Broly in this movie by pointing out how popular the character is in Japan? Besides, if Broly managed to get three movies (which, keep in mind, were made before Dragon Ball ever became popular in most of the West), that would suggest that he does in fact have a following in Japan.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:31 pm

I hope they don't kill off Freeza in the movie. It would be annoying to have him just to come back to life and be killed off again so soon.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:36 pm

Anyone else think that the person we see at the bottom of the poster isn’t Broly? I think it could be a bait and switch. In fact, i find it kind of convient how the saiyan at the bottom just so happens to be cut off at the point where you wouldn’t be able to see the cheek scar the Broly at the top of the poster has.

And as someone else talked about earlier, its weird how in the teaser, when we see the face of the saiyan, we don’t see a scar on their cheek where as Broly does have on on his cheek.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Of course there can be many excuses like “maybe they decided to add the scar after the teaser went public” or maybe you’re exaggerating and if the screen went any lower, we would see the scar. But i’d like to go big with my theories.

And lastly, we do know that Toriyama has designed over 20 sheets. And it was said that he’s designed lots of new characters. It would be a shame if none of those new characters were actually involved in the present day of the story and were just in flashbacks.

So basically i think Broly isn’t the true main villain and might even end up being the hero. Of course this is a Toriyama written movie so this is probably not the case.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:37 pm

If you were in charge of the franchise you'd do the same thing too.
AnimeNation101 wrote:It’s the west’s fault for liking Broly too much.
He's very popular in Japan as well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.