Your Personal Canon

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gogeta Blue

Re: Your Personal Canon

Post by Gogeta Blue » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:30 am

Dragon Ball Minus
Jaco the Patrolman
Dragon Ball 42 Volume
Dragon Ball Super Manga + Ressurction F movie version
Revised Battle Powers List - Coming soon.
My Canon: Dragon Ball Minus, Jaco the Patrolman, Dragon Ball 42 Volumes, Dragon Ball Super Manga
Manga > Anime

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:19 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:My canon is generally the main series (anime/manga, with the films being basically their own thing)...

But with Dragon Ball Minus in it too.
People may hate it, but Minus is part of the canon as it comes from Toriyama himself.
Of course this thread is about personal canons, so many people will disregard it because of how much they dislike it.
Even though there is no "established canon" as Marlowe said, in the case of a serie such a Dragon Ball which is still continuing with stories written by its original author I am quite sure the true canon would be what comes from him, for stories set in the DB universe.

Surely it gets confusionary with Super having both an anime and a manga, but considering how Toriyama is involved with both the mediums they can be considered both canonical, as the imporant story events are more or less the same.

With the upcoming movie being written by Toriyama as a continuation of the anime events, though, I will say that the anime, which has also been considered the main product so far, will claim the spot as the "true Super" over Toyotaro's manga.
It was also Toriyama's idea to feature the movies as retellings on the anime, and he even mentioned the anime-only Namekian Book of Legends in a interview, so that confirms he is actually much more involved with the anime than people believe.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:32 pm

emperior wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote:My canon is generally the main series (anime/manga, with the films being basically their own thing)...

People may hate it, but Minus is part of the canon as it comes from Toriyama himself.
Of course this thread is about personal canons, so many people will disregard it because of how much they dislike it.
Even though there is no "established canon" as Marlowe said, in the case of a serie such a Dragon Ball which is still continuing with stories written by its original author I am quite sure the true canon would be what comes from him, for stories set in the DB universe.

Surely it gets confusionary with Super having both an anime and a manga, but considering how Toriyama is involved with both the mediums they can be considered both canonical, as the imporant story events are more or less the same.

With the upcoming movie being written by Toriyama as a continuation of the anime events, though, I will say that the anime, which has also been considered the main product so far, will claim the spot as the "true Super" over Toyotaro's manga.
It was also Toriyama's idea to feature the movies as retellings on the anime, and he even mentioned the anime-only Namekian Book of Legends in a interview, so that confirms he is actually much more involved with the anime than people believe.
People may hate it, but I don't.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:07 pm

emperior wrote: With the upcoming movie being written by Toriyama as a continuation of the anime events, though, I will say that the anime, which has also been considered the main product so far, will claim the spot as the "true Super" over Toyotaro's manga.
While that might have held true originally, I don't think that's been the case for a while now. Promotional materials call Toyotaro the "chosen successor" of Toriyama as well as the artist who has "taken the mantle" of drawing Dragon Ball, and there are TV commercials that specifically brand the Super manga as the sequel to Toriyama's original manga. That much is clear-cut.

Conversely, the Super anime references Bulma's run-in with Captain Ginyu as a frog (which made its debut in Z filler) following up from the same plot thread presented in Kai. In that light, I'd be much more inclined to call the anime a continuation of Kai rather than the original manga.

Broly's new movie is a bit of a mystery, but for now I'm assuming that the general story is going to remain the same for the continuities in both mediums.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:28 pm

emperior wrote:It was also Toriyama's idea to feature the movies as retellings on the anime, and he even mentioned the anime-only Namekian Book of Legends in a interview, so that confirms he is actually much more involved with the anime than people believe.
That confirms nothing actually. To suggest something to be done doesn't mean one has to be involved in it at all. Not only we don't have any information regarding to his involvement with the retellings, stuff like Gregory appears in the anime, but he is nowhere to be seen in Movie 14 (where Toriyama was indeed fully involved). Future Trunks's first Super Saiyan transformation flashback is also in the anime but that contradicts the original manga, those things wouldn't appear if Toriyama was really involved in the anime production side.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:43 pm

emperior wrote:

That isn't the point of the thread though, this is "Your Personal Canon", which gives people the right to say "Hey I didn't like DB Minus so I won't include it", or prioritize the BoG/RoF movies over the manga or Super versions.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:15 pm

KBABZ wrote:
emperior wrote:

That isn't the point of the thread though, this is "Your Personal Canon", which gives people the right to say "Hey I didn't like DB Minus so I won't include it", or prioritize the BoG/RoF movies over the manga or Super versions.
I addressed the point in the very same post:
“Of course this thread is about personal canons, so many people will disregard it because of how much they dislike it”.
What I was saying is that Minus is from Toriyama, drawn and written by him, thus it is as canonical as every other chapter of the manga. Saiying it isn’t sounds as strange as saying “Chapter X isn’t canonical because I dislike it”.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:37 pm

emperior wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
emperior wrote: People may hate it, but Minus is part of the canon as it comes from Toriyama himself.
I addressed the point in the very same post:
“Of course this thread is about personal canons, so many people will disregard it because of how much they dislike it”.
What I was saying is that Minus is from Toriyama, drawn and written by him, thus it is as canonical as every other chapter of the manga. Saiying it isn’t sounds as strange as saying “Chapter X isn’t canonical because I dislike it”.
My point is that since this thread is about Personal Canon, all bets are off. I mean, one could make a similar example for some filler: Gregory is a perfect example of this where he was created by Toriyama, but a lot of fans still consider him filler because he wasn't in the manga at all.

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Almighty Majin » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:08 pm

Dr. Slump
Galactic Patrol Manga (Sachie-chan Guu!!, Jiya, Jaco the Galactic Patrolman)
An approximation of the Bardock stories (DB Minus, Bardock - The Father of Goku, Episode of Bardock)
Other Toriyama Manga (Tomato, Girl Detective, Pola & Roid, Escape, Pink, Go! Go! Ackman, Oishii Shima no U-sama, Toccio the Angel, Sand Land, Dub & Peter 1)
Dragon Ball Manga
Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!
An approximation of Dragon Ball Super (Movies + Anime + Manga = Complete DBS)
Dragon Ball 30th Anniversary Special Manga
Nekomajin Z
That Time I Got Reincarnated as Yamcha
Dragon Ball Online (with elements of Xenoverse, SDBH, and DB Legends, notably the characters)
Bojack Unbound
Dragon Ball FighterZ (approximation of story)
Dragon Ball V.R.V.S.
The Yardrat Saga from DBZ: Sagas

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:17 am

• Jaco The Galactic Patrolman/Dragon Ball Minus
• Original Dragon Ball Manga (chapters 1 through 517 pre-timeskip) *
• Toriyama's direct statements from guidebooks and interviews

* With plotholes and continuity issues revised. Good list here from user DBZGSKOSDH.

I don't know how to handle Super. There are really two ways for me to handle it that I bounce between:

(1) Toriyama's outlines are canon. Whatever material is common to the anime/manga is correct.
(2) Toyotaro is Toriyama's chosen successor, and his work is canon (especially given the degree of feedback Toriyama gives). The issue here then is BoG and particularly RoF, with the former abridged and the latter almost entirely skipped.

The new Broly movie we don't know much about yet and whatever is going to happen with Uub is also tough. I think a lot of the stuff post-timeskip in the original serialization will likely change.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:04 am

Personally, I'd prefer two canons: one where Jaco, DB's manga, the Bardock special, the Trunks special and Super exist (movies for the first 27 eps, though it's not a huge difference narratively), and then one where Minus, the anime filler, GT, the first 13 movies, every video game original story, Heroes and everything else I hate can go do whatever it wants away from me. Except Evolution, I guess. Evolution deserves only oblivion. I mean with a couple exceptions that's not too far removed from the real alternate timelines, but I'd like to be able to have some official way of tossing Minus in the garbage.

I dunno about Yo Son Goku though. It's kinda silly, not offensively so, but has so little impact or changes it might as well be in neither timeline, or both.

EDIT: okay I don't "hate" most of the movies, I just hate that none of them properly fit into the story. I guess Dragon Ball's retellings are okay as a mini alt-timeline of their own.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:54 am

If I were to be completely selfish and have my own "personal canon" it'd be this from a narrative standpoint.

Dragon Ball manga and ends at Cell saga.
Bardock the Father of Goku Special
History of Trunks Special
Bojack Unbound (to conclude Vegeta flying off at the end)
Broly Movie 1
World's Strongest
Lord Slug
Super Android 13

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:21 am

Dragon Ball Minus
Jaco the Galactic Patrolman 1-11 (Tankoubon version)
Dragon Ball 1-519 (Kanzenban version)
Dragon Ball: Trunks the Story
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Extended cut)
Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' (Theatrical cut)
Dragon Ball Super 5-end of Universe Survival arc (Tankoubon version)
Dragon Ball Super: Broly

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:55 pm

In my signature
Get Fucked, C_unt

CaroKami

Post by CaroKami » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:30 pm

Toriyama's original story
Battle of Gods
Resurrection F
Dragon Ball Super manga

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:56 pm

-Dragon Ball Z - Bardock: The Father of Goku.
-Jaco the Galactic Patrolman.
-The entire Dragon Ball manga with select filler segments from both animes.
-Dragon Ball Z: The History of Trunks.
-Dragon Ball Z: Bojack Unbound.
-Dragon Ball Z: Wrath of the Dragon.
-Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!
-Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods.

About Dragon Ball Super, I don't know what to think of it anymore. Was it necessary? Manga vs. anime? Do I even like it or dislike it?

About Dragon Ball GT, the most I could do for it is the Baby saga, and that would be ignoring Battle of Gods.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:00 pm

1. Arale manga
2. Jaco manga (including Minus)
3. Dragon Ball manga
4. Dragon Ball Super manga (BoG arc) (also including Toriyama’s outlines for Super)
5. Resurrection F script by Toriyama
6. Dragon Ball Super manga (U6 arc to present) (also including Toriyama’s outlines for super

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:01 pm

Analytical Delusion wrote:• Jaco The Galactic Patrolman/Dragon Ball Minus
If there is actual canon in DB, that would be the most accurate definition of it.
DBS is too big mess to be placed in 100% canon without any issues.

My personal canon?
Original anime trilogy (DB/DBZ/DBGT) with all 3 TV special episodes (2 for DBZ, 1 for DBGT)
Also, manga (Original + Jaco chapter) and whatever Toriyama made for Super and is respected in BOTH anime and manga of Super.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:08 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Analytical Delusion wrote:• Jaco The Galactic Patrolman/Dragon Ball Minus
If there is actual canon in DB, that would be the most accurate definition of it.
DBS is too big mess to be placed in 100% canon without any issues.

My personal canon?
Original anime trilogy (DB/DBZ/DBGT) with all 3 TV special episodes (2 for DBZ, 1 for DBGT)
Also, manga (Original + Jaco chapter) and whatever Toriyama made for Super and is respected in BOTH anime and manga of Super.
In my personal head-canon, I also have those three little booklets (I think there was one for Piccolo, one for Vegeta, one for Trunks). They're pretty fun and add depths to the characters:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/tidbits/trunks-side-story/

Something else I prefer from the anime are the training scenes. The bulk of them are absent in the original manga, but they make for the best extra material IMO. Given how much the characters train, at least a fair amount of it should be on-screen.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:31 am

Anime/Toei canon(classic):DB-DBZ-DBGT

Anime /Toei canon(modern):DB-DBKai-DBS

Manga/Tori canon:DB Minus-Jaco Manga-DB Manga-DBS Manga

Alternate Timeline:GT/Movies/Fillers
GT Fighter