Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by majinwarman » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:41 pm

Helios518 wrote:
RedHeat wrote:The movie be in American theaters in January: http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/12/ ... rs-in-2019
As cool as it is coming out in January, I hope there is some sub screenings.
I do too. I kinda want to see both sub and dub screenings and not one or the other.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Anyone want to place any bets on how the movie will perform in North America?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:51 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
RedHeat wrote:The movie be in American theaters in January: http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/12/ ... rs-in-2019
Hopefully Toei Europe can quickly get it out for the UK too...! Come on. We ended up getting ResF almost two months later after the U.S. Hopefully not as long this time.

I hope you guys are all going to be sweet and don't tell anything untill i have finally seen it in March. :shh:

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:03 pm

WittyUsername wrote:Anyone want to place any bets on how the movie will perform in North America?
What is the wager going to be?
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:07 pm

majinwarman wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:Anyone want to place any bets on how the movie will perform in North America?
Maybe “bet” wasn’t the right word. How about prediction? Any predictions on how much money this movie will make in North America? Just for a bit of context, RF made around $8 million.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:14 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Maybe “bet” wasn’t the right word. How about prediction? Any predictions on how much money this movie will make in North America? Just for a bit of context, RF made around $8 million.
If RF made 8 million in America and 65 million worldwide then I think Broly will make 10-12 million in America and 80-85 million worldwide. We'll of course get a better idea once the trailer releases next week and when the marketing kicks in.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:15 pm

I think this means we'll probably have a dubbed trailer at SDCC.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:23 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Hopefully Toei Europe can quickly get it out for the UK too...! Come on. We ended up getting ResF almost two months later after the U.S. Hopefully not as long this time.

Could it seriously take two months for Europe to follow? It's almost impossible to not completely know the plot as a DB-fan by then if it's released in US by two months and in Japan by thee months.
I know DB is a little less popular in UK / Europe than in Japan / US and i don't want to be grumpy, but that would really suck man.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:26 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

Could it seriously take two months for Europe to follow? It's almost impossible to not completely know the plot as a DB-fan by then if it's released in US by two months.
I don't want to be grumpy, but that really sucks man.
Not that Europe does not know the movie 2 hours after Japan release anyway.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:35 pm

Cetra wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Hopefully Toei Europe can quickly get it out for the UK too...! Come on. We ended up getting ResF almost two months later after the U.S. Hopefully not as long this time.

Could it seriously take two months for Europe to follow? It's almost impossible to not completely know the plot as a DB-fan by then if it's released in US by two months.
Staying away from boards / social media for three weeks or a month would be feasible ... but three months?
I guess we'd better start our training schedule for internet abscence soon.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:56 pm

sintzu wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
majinwarman wrote: What is the wager going to be?
If RF made 8 million in America and 65 million worldwide then I think Broly will make 10-12 million in America and 80-85 million worldwide. We'll of course get a better idea once the trailer releases next week and when the marketing kicks in.
I’ll just say that this movie will make it to the Top 10 highest grossing anime films of all time according to this list: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... nime_films
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:59 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
Cetra wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:

Staying away from boards / social media for three weeks or a month would be feasible ... but three months?
I successfully avoided Avengers IW to the point I didn't even see a single footage. It's do-able, especially since Twitter makes it easy by muting.

Just go hard into another fandom for a bit and forget DB. Since we have a new Pokémon game around that time I'll probably stick around there.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:00 pm

I'm not expecting Japanese showings, but it's nice to know a date.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:10 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:
Cetra wrote:
I successfully avoided Avengers IW to the point I didn't even see a single footage. It's do-able, especially since Twitter makes it easy by muting.

Just go hard into another fandom for a bit and forget DB. Since we have a new Pokémon game around that time I'll probably stick around there.
With BOG and ROF were the UK and the rest of Europese releases simultaneously, could there even be a gap of multiple weeks as well ... let's say between UK and France?
I know in my country (Belgium) we always get the Funi English dubbed version with Dutch subtitles, where as France, Spain, Germany .. usually get a seperate dub in their languages, maybe that could make a difference in distribution time as well.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:25 pm

I really, really hope January 2019 will be the standard month for the worldwide release.
Let’s hope that European countries will get the movie in January 2019, because I really want to see it as soon as possible and I will try my best to avoid any kind of spoiler.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:34 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: I’ll just say that this movie will make it to the Top 10 highest grossing anime films of all time according to this list: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... nime_films
It'd have to make 134 million to take the #10 spot, something I highly doubt it'll do.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:39 pm

I will try to do the effort too. It would be a good thing, as soon the movie is released in Japan, there would be two seperate threads here concerning the movie: a spoilerfree and spoilerwarning thread.
There will always be people that want to know the spoilers before they have seen the movie, let it be a free choice. A spoilerfree thread of course is still no guarantee to evade all spoilers.
If i nontheless catch up spoilers, i will not tell them to other fans in a spoilerfree thread.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:46 pm

sintzu wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: I’ll just say that this movie will make it to the Top 10 highest grossing anime films of all time according to this list: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... nime_films
It'd have to make 134 million to take the #10 spot, something I highly doubt it'll do.
I don't see why not right? DB is huge right now

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:53 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:

With BOG and ROF were the UK and the rest of Europese releases simultaneously, could there even be a gap of multiple weeks as well ... let's say between UK and France?
I know in my country (Belgium) we always get the Funi English dubbed version with Dutch subtitles, where as France, Spain, Germany .. usually get a seperate dub in their languages, maybe that could make a difference in distribution time as well.
UK never got BoG in theatres, a big cinema chain had a link for it and everything but nothing ever came about. ResF I am not too sure when other European countries got it, according to imdb Italy got it a couple weeks before us on 12th Sept, Spain got it a month or so after us is in November but dunno how accurate these are.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:00 pm

PFM18 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
I don't see why not right? DB is huge right now
BOG made 50 million while RF made 65. In order to make 134 it'd have to double what RF did, DB is big but not that big. One Piece's biggest movie made 85 and one piece is just as big as DB so doing something as big as 134 is a very tall order that'd take a lot more movies to build up to.