"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by wjbraden » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:32 am

Doctor. wrote:
TheOne wrote:Not everyone is obsessed with purity of subtitles like most of you guys.
You're watching the wrong show if you're not obsessed with retaining what the writers originally intended.

This is not Funimation's product to do with as they please.
I can't believe we're still having this sub vs. dub debate after all these years. Nowhere does it say that the dub has to match the sub verbatim at all times. There are dubs out there that do that, and if that's your cup of tea, great. I think Funimation has been doing a great job of retaining the original spirit of the show and adding a few liberties here and there that are suited towards American audiences (as well as throwing in a few Easter Eggs from the old days, which is neat). I think it's a good balance. This isn't like the Ocean and early Funimation days, where they were making story elements up as they were going along. It's a great dub with a great cast. I know some of you may disagree, but the majority of us out there think it's great.

If you want an exact carbon copy of the original Japanese version, with English, go watch the show with subtitles on crunchyroll, I think you'll be a lot happier.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:39 am

This might sound weird, but I honestly don't mind the "Time to make the donuts" line. Even if it's silly slang it does have the same meaning in my eyes. I definitely see why others are upset though.

What I DO have a big issue with is the change from "I'll be back to visit your grave" to "I'll be back when the dust settles". Like what the heck. The former is explicit and a form of respect towards Goku, while the latter is an implication that could potentially mean something completely different.

As for the subs vs dubs issue, I do like when funimation takes certain liberties sometimes. They've made plenty of scenes better by adjusting the dialogue (right now I'm just thinking of "OOOoohhhalmostforgotmytractorooOOOOHH") but when a scene that was REALLY good in japanese gets altered for the worse fans are gonna get upset. That's just common sense. The latter doesn't automatically means dubs < subs and neither does the former mean subs < dubs.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:41 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Oh, they way they've handled Magetta as a whole in FUNi dub has been a goddamn travesty. Whoever decided that it would be the best for Magetta to have that synthesised text-speech voice should be fired. It's horrific.
Oh god, I forgot about that. Why the hell did they even "dub" Magetta? Other than Chu-Po, he doesn't say anything!
It was so unnecessary. And it robs Magetta of the charm of how he communicates. Now the joke in Episode 105 where Roshi says "Cho-Po" and Magetta responds quizzically by saying "Cho-Po" is going fall flat now when dubbed.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:44 am

I take most of Funimation's "liberties" on a case-by-case basis, assessing whether they're appropriate to the context of the scene, whether they fit the tone, whether they still convey the same general meaning as the original dialogue, and so on. A lot of them have, so I haven't taken much of an issue with the dub.

This one's a bit too much for me though. Hit's way of saying that it's time to get to work by referencing an old television commercial line from the 80's is more of a meme than a common idiom, so a lot of people aren't going to understand it. It doesn't work tonally. A character like Goku would probably take that statement literally if it was actually said to him in-universe, too.

It's not a huge deal, but they should definitely ease up on the referential stuff going forward.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:55 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Oh, they way they've handled Magetta as a whole in FUNi dub has been a goddamn travesty. Whoever decided that it would be the best for Magetta to have that synthesised text-speech voice should be fired. It's horrific.
Oh god, I forgot about that. Why the hell did they even "dub" Magetta? Other than Chu-Po, he doesn't say anything!
It was so unnecessary. And it robs Magetta of the charm of how he communicates. Now the joke in Episode 105 where Roshi says "Cho-Po" and Magetta responds quizzically by saying "Cho-Po" is going fall flat now when dubbed.
I don't mind if they change some incidental dialogue as long as it keeps the tone and meaning of the scene in tact, but stuff like this just puzzles the hell out of me. Especially when the subbed version is so widely available through official channels.

The donuts thing sticks out becuase it's such a bizarre and obscure reference. Yeah it's a reference to XV2 but how many people in the target audience are even going to be aware of the old DunkinDonuts commercial it's referencing? Hell, I'm 30 and I had no idea what he was talking about until someone on the Xenoverse sub explained it.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:59 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
It wasn't a very ground breaking joke to begin with to be honest. I don't think it really matters that much.

Do agree it was unnecessary but it's Magetta nothing to really lose sleep over if the guy was an actual character of worth I'll probably be more bothered.
BlueBasilisk wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote: Oh god, I forgot about that. Why the hell did they even "dub" Magetta? Other than Chu-Po, he doesn't say anything!
I don't mind if they change some incidental dialogue as long as it keeps the tone and meaning of the scene in tact, but stuff like this just puzzles the hell out of me. Especially when the subbed version is so widely available through official channels.

The donuts thing sticks out becuase it's such a bizarre and obscure reference. Yeah it's a reference to XV2 but how many people in the target audience are even going to be aware of the old DunkinDonuts commercial it's referencing? Hell, I'm 30 and I had no idea what he was talking about until someone on the Xenoverse sub explained it.
"Make the donuts" has become a fairly common expression for "going to work", that's reasoning behind it not the commercial itself.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:33 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote: Oh god, I forgot about that. Why the hell did they even "dub" Magetta? Other than Chu-Po, he doesn't say anything!
It wasn't a very ground breaking joke to begin with to be honest. I don't think it really matters that much.

Do agree it was unnecessary but it's Magetta nothing to really lose sleep over if the guy was an actual character of worth I'll probably be more bothered.
BlueBasilisk wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: It was so unnecessary. And it robs Magetta of the charm of how he communicates. Now the joke in Episode 105 where Roshi says "Cho-Po" and Magetta responds quizzically by saying "Cho-Po" is going fall flat now when dubbed.

"Make the donuts" has become a fairly common expression for "going to work", that's reasoning behind it not the commercial itself.
I’ve literally never heard anyone say “Make the donuts.”

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:54 pm

Yeesh. Judging by these past couple of pages, I’m guessing that FUNimation is really starting to piss people off?

I haven’t seen the dub version of the episode, but out of curiosity, is there anything egregious in it other than Hit’s donuts line?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:06 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I haven’t seen the dub version of the episode, but out of curiosity, is there anything egregious in it other than Hit’s donuts line?
"Do not interrupt the grill master."

Seriously... what was up with that line?

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:I take most of Funimation's "liberties" on a case-by-case basis, assessing whether they're appropriate to the context of the scene, whether they fit the tone, whether they still convey the same general meaning as the original dialogue, and so on. A lot of them have, so I haven't taken much of an issue with the dub.

This one's a bit too much for me though. Hit's way of saying that it's time to get to work by referencing an old television commercial line from the 80's is more of a meme than a common idiom, so a lot of people aren't going to understand it. It doesn't work tonally. A character like Goku would probably take that statement literally if it was actually said to him in-universe, too.

It's not a huge deal, but they should definitely ease up on the referential stuff going forward.
Well said. This nicely sums up my own feelings on dub changes. :thumbup: It all comes down to conext, tone and meaning.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:15 pm

My god people, you’re all acting like someone killed your pet with all this bellyaching over dub changes. Need I once again remind you all how lucky we are that we have a somewhat competent dub compared to Pokemon’s. Want a bad dub, watch that. An episode just got banned because of a stupid reason. At least DBS keeps the Japanese music unlike Pokémon.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:20 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:My god people, you’re all acting like someone killed your pet with all this bellyaching over dub changes. Need I once again remind you all how lucky we are that we have a somewhat competent dub compared to Pokemon’s. Want a bad dub, watch that. An episode just got banned because of a stupid reason. At least DBS keeps the Japanese music unlike Pokémon.
In all fairness, while I myself am not the kind of person to really get up in arms about some occasional liberties to the script, “time to make the donuts” is a rather odd thing to have a stoic assassin say, especially during a serious moment.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:38 pm

Ajay wrote:This dub is such a joke. What year is it?! These types of ridiculous decisions just keep piling up. It's the 90s all over again.

It's incredibly frustrating to know that we're back to a point where I'm not even discussing the same show with someone who watched it dubbed.
Can we please stop with this hyperbole? The Super dub is leaps and bounds above what Funi was giving us in the 90s. Would I prefer they didn't include the meme lines? Sure. But acting like this is on the same level as the Z dub is absurd and tiring.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:42 pm

The dub is a disgrace. That does it, I am now selling all my FUNimation DVDs/blu-rays and purging my collection of anything FUNI touches for good. This was the last straw that finally broke the camels back. We're in 2018 not 1998, and 25+ years later the same thing still happens.

Makes me sick to my stomach, and you guys know it'll only continue to get worse from here as we get into the dub of the TOP arc. It's not only a bad dub, it's insulting and degrading. I cannot in good conscience support such a thing. FUNimation is a joke of a company.

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:47 pm

Christ almighty, it's the Z dub all over again. You know, when some people want to watch foreign media be it a movie or a tv show, they actually want to watch the foreign media and not the work of some Americans re-writing whatever the fuck they want. This is no different from the stuff 4Kids and Manga Entertainment used to get so much flack for, and it's shocking to see that after the original Kai dub managed to be damn good while staying accurate to the source material, that we're going back to these terrible outdated dubbing practices from the 90's.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:54 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Oh god, I forgot about that. Why the hell did they even "dub" Magetta? Other than Chu-Po, he doesn't say anything!
It was so unnecessary. And it robs Magetta of the charm of how he communicates. Now the joke in Episode 105 where Roshi says "Cho-Po" and Magetta responds quizzically by saying "Cho-Po" is going fall flat now when dubbed.[/quote]
Not necessarily. Magetta was also saying "chugga-chugga" in the Microsoft Sam voice, and I can picture Roshi going "CHUGGA CHUGGA" instead of Cho-Po.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:14 pm

precita wrote:The dub is a disgrace. That does it, I am now selling all my FUNimation DVDs/blu-rays and purging my collection of anything FUNI touches for good. This was the last straw that finally broke the camels back. We're in 2018 not 1998, and 25+ years later the same thing still happens.

Makes me sick to my stomach, and you guys know it'll only continue to get worse from here as we get into the dub of the TOP arc. It's not only a bad dub, it's insulting and degrading. I cannot in good conscience support such a thing. FUNimation is a joke of a company.
Okay, don’t you think that’s an overreaction? FUNimation has done all kinds of questionable things in the past, but this is really where you’re drawing the line?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:15 pm

KinguKurimuzon wrote:Christ almighty, it's the Z dub all over again. You know, when some people want to watch foreign media be it a movie or a tv show, they actually want to watch the foreign media and not the work of some Americans re-writing whatever the fuck they want. This is no different from the stuff 4Kids and Manga Entertainment used to get so much flack for, and it's shocking to see that after the original Kai dub managed to be damn good while staying accurate to the source material, that we're going back to these terrible outdated dubbing practices from the 90's.
Actually, 4Kids has gotten flack for worse.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:33 pm

Yikes, one more episode was all it took, huh?

Listen. There's a lot of stupid lines here, and I have my issues with them. "Time to make the donuts" is dumb, and dubbing the series with too many liberties is a bad idea. But I think comparing it to Z's dub for this stuff is silly. Z's dub is something I remember for constantly spreading misinformation, getting character personalities wrong, and breeding legions of fans that won't accept anything without replaced music and a chain smoker voicing Gohan. There's plenty of stupid and terrible lines in both, and that totally is an issue, but I can't remember Super's dub ever directly contradicting the sub, so is it really accurate to say it's "not even the same show anymore"? That would sound like an overreaction to any dub that didn't get Samurai Pizza Cats'd.

I think it's worth criticizing and that Sabat's stated mindset of "well everyone already watched the Japanese version so we can make some changes" is terrible (especially as someone watching them side-by-side, and the dub with people who did not watch the JP dub), but I think there's a big difference between taking too many liberties for comfort and literally everything being so off that it doesn't make sense anymore. Kai 2.0 wasn't too different in this regard, it just didn't last as long.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:38 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:My god people, you’re all acting like someone killed your pet with all this bellyaching over dub changes. Need I once again remind you all how lucky we are that we have a somewhat competent dub compared to Pokemon’s. Want a bad dub, watch that. An episode just got banned because of a stupid reason. At least DBS keeps the Japanese music unlike Pokémon.
Yes thank you! It's absolutely painful being a Pokémon fan not only how bad the dub is but there is no Japanese legal alternative to support.

Everyone giving shit to FUNi yet somehow forget that FUNi are even re translating the subs instead of using the Toei one's, no more "Supreme Kai sama" or "King Kai Fist" all that on top of providing the Japanese track for sub fans. But a dub something that is optional has a few innocuous lines and it's the end of the world.

It seems to me people are wanting their to be some controversy so they can complain, every time there pages and pages of over reaction and hyperbole over a couple lines in an episode. It's a bit ridiculous at this point especially now people know what they're in for why stick around? You have your version stick to that.

I hope to god there is sub screening for the new movie so we get less of this. Who am I kidding people will still flock to dub screenings and look for things to complain about and we'll get pages and pages on how Broly's grunting is different to the Japanese...