Dub lines that you find interesting.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Dub lines that you find interesting.

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:22 pm

Another one just came to mind. During the final beam struggle with Cell Tien says "Surpassing Goku has been my goal since I became a martial artist", which is technically untrue as he was a martial artist his entire life before meeting Goku. But it could be interpreted as him not considering himself a true martial artist until Goku and Roshi caused him to change his ways and outlook on the martial arts.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:57 pm

The exchange in my signature, which was a substitute for some sort of phonetic joke that wouldn't come across well in English or fit the mouth flaps. One of the few times where the OG Funi dub actually went the filthier route :lol: The Japanese dialogue was something like Roshi saying "Yell that spell well!" (I assume this was just Simmons' attempt at an equivalent to whatever he said in Japanese) and everyone getting mad at the corny wordplay.
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:59 pm

ABED wrote:
matt0044 wrote:History of Trunks has a grandpa comfort his granddaughter by saying, "It's just like watching fireworks, dear," as the Androids blow them up. Way to twist the knife, FUNimation.

Later, Bulma's completing the time machine and has a little nostalgic speech of her father, Dr. Brief, when talking with Trunks. I dunno, that softer side of her was nice to hear.
The line I remember most was, "I love you Trunks. If you only knew how much." I'm not the biggest fan of Vollmer, but she was good in that moment.
Yeah, I liked the narration in the original but Bulma's dub dialogue actually got me in the feels IMO.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue May 01, 2018 10:12 am

jjgp1112 wrote:The exchange in my signature, which was a substitute for some sort of phonetic joke that wouldn't come across well in English or fit the mouth flaps. One of the few times where the OG Funi dub actually went the filthier route :lol: The Japanese dialogue was something like Roshi saying "Yell that spell well!" (I assume this was just Simmons' attempt at an equivalent to whatever he said in Japanese) and everyone getting mad at the corny wordplay.
I recall a similar situation in the dub of the RRA saga where they replaced an untranslatable Japanese pun with a joke about how Karin's name sounded like 'corn'.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun May 06, 2018 1:49 pm

Let's also not forget how FUNimation's version of Cell returning changed his brain needing to be intact for regeneration to needing even the smallest of cell of him to grow back from. I'm actually disappointed that they didn't reuse that dialogue for Kai because it solves quite the plothole.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun May 06, 2018 1:56 pm

"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:11 pm

Here's one I just thought of. Well it's actually the lack of a line but...

When Goku is fighting 50% Freeza, Freeza gets the upper hand and holds Goku's head underwater. Goku loses consciousness and has a nightmare where Freeza comes to earth and kills everyone he knows.

Anyway, the nightmare ends with closeups of all of Goku's friends. They look like they're laughing but you hear Freeza laughing instead. It's a chilling and effective scene!

So in the dub, instead of Freeza laughing over everyone, you hear the characters themselves laughing. It kinda loses something, especially because Goku keeps talking during the scene in the dub. But what's weirder is when they get to Lunch, you hear nothing. Silence!

At this point, Lunch had been completely edited out of the dub, so I'm guessing they hadn't gotten a voice for her yet. It just comes off as really jarring and unprofessional. You'd think they could have cut out the half second she appears or just had let someone do a quick laugh for her.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:19 pm

I certainly don’t like the line myself, but a recent line from Hit in the dub of Super has been making the rounds.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UjBrutrbLHQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KrNSochPNO8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3_xWu7b-X94

http://comicbook.com/anime/2018/07/15/d ... uts-anime/

At the very least, it’s certainly interesting that they decided to go with that line...

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:10 am

Forte224 wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Its because Akira Toriyama hadnt hammered out that Goku is Selfish. The anime had plenty of heroic moments and Funimation went with that interpretation.
I guess I just more meant that they were pretty accurate in translating the lines, including the ones that made Goku seem less heroic. So this one specifically seemed weird to slip through.
Sounds like a nitpick to me, the lines are almost identical. When his friends die, he has always put avenging them above wanting a fun, strong fight. Hammering it in that Goku prioritizes his own amusement over wanting to support his friends is inconsistent to how Goku was pre-Super. It's why that trait Toriyama says, without example will always be taken too literal and mentally retcon people's beliefs.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:14 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Its because Akira Toriyama hadnt hammered out that Goku is Selfish. The anime had plenty of heroic moments and Funimation went with that interpretation.
I guess I just more meant that they were pretty accurate in translating the lines, including the ones that made Goku seem less heroic. So this one specifically seemed weird to slip through.
Sounds like a nitpick to me, the lines are almost identical. When his friends die, he has always put avenging them above wanting a fun, strong fight. Hammering it in that Goku prioritizes his own amusement over wanting to support his friends is inconsistent to how Goku was pre-Super. It's why that trait Toriyama says, without example will always be taken too literal and mentally retcon people's beliefs.
It's a clear, purposeful change of dialogue that fits with FUNi's previous track record. I'm not saying it ruined the dub, but it was clearly a change that they made in an otherwise very, very faithful dub that wasn't afraid to make Goku sound exactly like Goku would sound.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:27 am

Forte224 wrote:
Forte224 wrote: I guess I just more meant that they were pretty accurate in translating the lines, including the ones that made Goku seem less heroic. So this one specifically seemed weird to slip through.
It's a clear, purposeful change of dialogue that fits with FUNi's previous track record. I'm not saying it ruined the dub, but it was clearly a change that they made in an otherwise very, very faithful dub that wasn't afraid to make Goku sound exactly like Goku would sound.
Maybe, or that the line was just worded differently and you only have a problem with it saying it was Goku's "first concern", as if it contradicts the compared line.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:44 am

Forte224 wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote: Sounds like a nitpick to me, the lines are almost identical. When his friends die, he has always put avenging them above wanting a fun, strong fight. Hammering it in that Goku prioritizes his own amusement over wanting to support his friends is inconsistent to how Goku was pre-Super. It's why that trait Toriyama says, without example will always be taken too literal and mentally retcon people's beliefs.
Maybe, or that the line was just worded differently and you only have a problem with it saying it was Goku's "first concern", as if it contradicts the compared line.
It literally shifts the meaning. Like, literally. It's not up for debate. I'm getting tired of people defending dub changes by saying "It's just nitpicking". No, it's not. It's a complete shift of Roshi saying what comes first for Goku. The dub completely swaps the number 1 and 2 spots. Once again, I'm not saying it's a big deal. Unlike Super, it's a needle in a haystack when it comes to Kai 1.0's dub. But trying to say the lines are identical when they're 100% opposite is just silly. That would be like an instruction booklet saying "First, put the car in drive. Second, hit the gas pedal", then a translation of that instruction booklet saying "First, hit the gas pedal. Second, put the car in drive" and trying to argue that it's basically identical. Sure, the words within are identical, but the meaning isn't.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:51 pm

After Nappa punches off Tensninhan's arm in the ocean dub, the latter first screeches in pain, then grabs the stump where his arm used to be and says:

"You just wait until it grows back!"

This is the funniest line in the franchise to me. It's straight up Monty Python shit. I actually wanted to see Tien grow his arm back, just so Nappa could punch it off again. That's what's so great about the line. It makes no sense even if he CAN grow back.

Or were they trying to imply that Tensninhan was like Metal Cooler or Doomsday and taking his arm off makes him stronger and also makes it so Nappa can't... do exactly what he just did? If it actually did grow back would Nappa be in trouble? Would he attempt in vain to punch the same now-invulnerable arm and eventually break his hand?

I mean Tien seems so confident. It seems like he'll really give Nappa a beating after he gets another arm. That it won't just, like, get punched off again. Unfortunately Tenshinhan had to squander his tactical advantage by teleporting to another dimension with his Tri Beam. What a coward.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Anytime Staff Officer Black says anything. Because he's one of the only Black guys in the show and he's voiced by a Chris Sabat.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:51 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:It makes no sense even if he CAN grow back.
On the one hand he CAN grow three brand new arms. But on the other, much larger hand, I doubt the writers had ANY idea he could even do that at the time they wrote that.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:17 pm

I would say the line after nappa destroys the news helicopter and Tien says no their alright they had parachutes... Such an absurd line so glad they changed that line

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:53 pm

Gohan: "It's time to show you why my little brother looks up to me."
Super Buu w/Gotenks absorbed: "He doesn't. In fact he wonders why you let me take him."

Always liked this line.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:02 am

The GT lines. Seriously, it's fascinating how Funi bothered to change every single piece of dialogue in the series for no reason at all.

Albeit, they managed to explain why did Goku never wished himself back to adulthood in GT.

Pan: People grow up you know, even though you never seem to!

Goku: Well, I don't wanna grow up if it means swimming with your clothes on.

So there you have it. Goku has no interest in being an adult again, because he'd have to wear clothes while swimming :mrgreen:

[spoiler]Image

Come to think of it, did we ever see him swimming as an adult in the manga?[/spoiler]

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:33 am

In the Kai dub, when Krillin arrives back from the Grand Elder's place to find Bulma outside reading a book, he says something along the lines of "I know you need the light to read and all, but you're gonna get spotted out here!" which is a slight change from the original Japanese line of "This is dangerous, isn't it? If you're out here casually reading a book, they'll spot you!" This seems like a fairly innocent change at face value, but the problem is that we've already seen inside Bulma's capsule home hidden inside the cave at this point, and we know that it provides more than a sufficient amount of lighting necessary to read a book. This small change to the dialog creates a tiny plot hole of sorts. That, or we have to assume that the power up Krillin just received did a number on his memory.

There's another instance in the Kai dub just after Future Trunks was defeated by Perfect Cell, and Krillin and Trunks are discussing who will enter the Cell Games. Trunks declares that he will enter after training some more in the time chamber once Goku is finished, to which Vegeta replies "Neither you nor Cell will be needed, actually." This is, of course, a dubbing error, as the original line is "Neither you nor Kakarrot will be needed." (When it comes to defeating Cell, I think Cell himself would almost certainly be needed somewhere along the way.) So it's not so much an "interesting" dub line as it is an error that I don't see mentioned too often, if at all.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Nineteen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nineteen » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:32 pm

The exchange in my signature. I love how malevolent it makes the first pair of Androids feel.
Dr. Gero: I cleared the area of innocents, in accordance with your wishes. Do you disagree with my methods?
Goku: Grr...leave these people out of this!
Android 19: There are no people left to leave out.