"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:39 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:Oh god is this all this thread is gonna be for the next few weeks?
Probably is. Brace yourself.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:58 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:Oh god is this all this thread is gonna be for the next few weeks?
Yeah I believe. Last time this happened was "I'M THE STAR OF THIS DAMN SHOW"
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:59 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote: Exactly, this isn’t Pokémon Sun & Moon where the Japanese & English versions feel like different shows. At least DBS gets a subbed release in English speaking territories. TPCi outright refuses to release a subbed version.
4kids didn’t release the sub either but imo they made Pokémon still feel like Pokémon. If that makes sense. 4kods Pokémon wasn’t without its own faults but it was really good overall. Can’t say the same for TPCi though

But seriously this endless whining is so old. Like Baggie said when there’s good moments they’re completely ignored but when there’s one stupid line the sub fans come outta the woodwork to hate. This sub v dub debates needs to really stop

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:40 pm

Y'know I don't fully agree with what Ajay said either but I've seen more replies throwing shit his way than I have actual complaints about the dub for the last couple pages now. I'm not all that bothered by the changes, but this was a stupid terrible one and I think it's totally justifiable that people would get mad, even if I think going to "it's like 90s Z" is a bit far. It's not a sub vs. dub debate, only one of how much liberties you tolerate in your dubs. Notice how nobody is hating on it just because they're speaking English and the actors are American? The only thing I really agree with here is that we should take the discussion somewhere else, because it's already getting self-derivative and that leads to supremely boring and bloated topics.

So I'll say this: does the audio sound weird to anyone else? Maybe it's just me catching the show from a couple different sources (AKA Adult Swim broadcast, my DVR and a couple different streaming sites) but it sounds weirdly tinny in a lot of places, or like there's some kind of filter over the dialogue and sound effects,

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:55 pm

Shaddy wrote:So I'll say this: does the audio sound weird to anyone else? Maybe it's just me catching the show from a couple different sources (AKA Adult Swim broadcast, my DVR and a couple different streaming sites) but it sounds weirdly tinny in a lot of places, or like there's some kind of filter over the dialogue and sound effects,
Yes, I've noticed this for a while. I don't really understand how to describe it either. But it's definitely strange.

As regards the donut line, I'm out of the loop here. What the hell is he even referring to? I keep looking for reasons to watch this dub and keep seeing things that make me just pass on it.

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jean0987654321 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:00 am

superfan2024 wrote:
Probably is. Brace yourself.
In that case, it's time to run. RUN AWAY from this thread

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:02 am

Interesting that Manga's DBS Part 4 has the red colour scheme that FUNi used for Part 5. Hopefully they make Part 5 black, I didn't like how FUNi made both Part 3&4 blue.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:28 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Interesting that Manga's DBS Part 4 has the red colour scheme that FUNi used for Part 5. Hopefully they make Part 5 black, I didn't like how FUNi made both Part 3&4 blue.
Part of me was hoping we'd get Black in his Rose form and a magenta background for part 5, not a huge fan of the contrast on this one. Thankfully MangaUK went with the red for part 4 so we'll probably get something different here too. There's a slight chance we could get alternate character art for later MangaUK parts as they had different cover art than Funi on DBZ season 8 and some of the original DB seasons. Also, have a feeling if Funi put Vegito Blue on part 6 Manga will use the blue from Funi's part 4 for it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:14 am

It's a silly line, but as usual people are taking things way too seriously/out of proportion.
"Oh dear...."

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:29 am

It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me. People have been crowing about the dub pretty much since it began, and most of the time they've been making a mountain out of a molehill (with Magetta's voice being the arguable exception). Now we have a legit problem with a script change that damages the tone of the original, and it's seen as just another complaint from the pedant brigade.

Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:35 am

Ajay wrote:This dub is such a joke. What year is it?! These types of ridiculous decisions just keep piling up. It's the 90s all over again.

It's incredibly frustrating to know that we're back to a point where I'm not even discussing the same show with someone who watched it dubbed.
Lmao it's not as if they completely change the story with bad dub lines, they just add some bad and out of place lines here and there, which I must say is pretty stupid, but saying it's like the 90s is plain wrong and hyperbole.

I agree that this line was bad, because generally the dub is pretty good with great voice acting and script, it's not a "joke" but they do need to watch it with these random lines.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:11 am

I'm curious to see if the ratings will drop after all this.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:16 am

shadd21 wrote:I'm curious to see if the ratings will drop after all this.
No.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:11 am

I just was to clarify that I still REALLY like the Super dub. That one line in Episode 71 of Super is not indicative of the quality as a whole of the scripting, and especially not of the performances of the actors, it's just that FUNimation need to be much careful in the future where there want to added punch up dialogue and how they much is the extent of the spiced of line.

I'm not saying that they should have carte blanche to how they what to rotate or change the script, as I still want them to maintain a high degree of accuracy to the original Japanese script, but if there is a specific context in a certain episode where making some modifications to a some certain line(s) would help in enhancing the scene or perhaps preventing a joke being lost in translation, I don't mind.

It's just in the case of Episode 71 with Hit's line of "it's time to make the donuts", not only was that line inappropriate for the context of the scene, with Hit coming to assassinate Goku, but is also ruined the tone of the scene with a comedic reference to a mistranslation of a rushed English dub of Hit character in a videogame, that most of the TV viewers who watch Dragon Ball Super dubbed probably won't be even aware of. So FUNimation basically sacrificed some of the severity of Hit killing Goku in the off chance that some people would get a laugh out of Hit mentioning something an already stupid line that is somewhat popular to specific group of people in the Dragon Ball fandom. THAT is what riled up some people, including me.

FUNimation is capable of doing much better than this. And it appears that their disregard for the accuracy of script in favour of spicing up some line here are and there just because they can, and they want to want to have some fun dubbing Super, feels not only dishonest to people who watch the dub expecting a faithful adaptation of the original Japanese script, but also disingenuous the original spirit of the show.

This is certainly NOWHERE near as bad what happened when FUNimation got their hands on DBZ in the late 90s, and any kind of comparison to this being like the FUNimation adapting the Japanese script from that era is pure hyperbole. FUNimation have been taking liberties, albeit somewhat more covertly, since Dragon Ball Kai. Lest we forget the infamous "I hate the media" line from Nappa, the joke about internet connection on Kami's Lookout, Gohan's "You're stupid and ugly and... you smell" line, Goku specifically mentioning that Mr. Popo is terrifying when he's angry, the inclusion of the "Over 9,000" line and the switching from accurately calling attacks like the Makankosappo and the Kienzan to their original dub names Special Beam Cannon and Destructo Disk.

I'm not bring those instances in Kai, which hand an overall more faithful script, as a way of justifying what they're doing in Super, as there is no excuse. I only bring this up as a preface for the argument of FUNimation having a habit of doing this kind of thing where there change certain aspects of the script out of their own personal whimsy, more-so in Dragon Ball than seemingly a lot of other dubbing productions under their umbrella.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is... there is a time and a place for when you can change script to be more accommodating for a certain dialect. And FUNimation, for a certain episode of Dragon Ball Super, were not interested even in that -- but were more focused on how they can have fun the could have dubbing a specific character by integrating a "joke" line that had no place being in a scene where the tone didn't match the line they wrote.

--

Sidenote: I was browsing around the some other threads in the forum and came across this. How prophetic. :lol:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:48 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Interesting that Manga's DBS Part 4 has the red colour scheme that FUNi used for Part 5. Hopefully they make Part 5 black, I didn't like how FUNi made both Part 3&4 blue.
Part of me was hoping we'd get Black in his Rose form and a magenta background for part 5, not a huge fan of the contrast on this one. Thankfully MangaUK went with the red for part 4 so we'll probably get something different here too. There's a slight chance we could get alternate character art for later MangaUK parts as they had different cover art than Funi on DBZ season 8 and some of the original DB seasons. Also, have a feeling if Funi put Vegito Blue on part 6 Manga will use the blue from Funi's part 4 for it.
I would have preferred pink as the back ground at least. But yeah hopefully Manga can change it up for us a bit.

Hopefully Toei Eur. can give Manga more of the international promo art that the other European releases are utilising.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:21 pm

So I wasn't hearing things last Saturday.....I do hope they revise those lines for the BR.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:25 am

Ajay wrote:This dub is such a joke. What year is it?! These types of ridiculous decisions just keep piling up. It's the 90s all over again.

It's incredibly frustrating to know that we're back to a point where I'm not even discussing the same show with someone who watched it dubbed.
Finally more people are realizing the damage FUNimation is doing with this dub, it's such a shame after their outstading work in Kai 1.0 which a lot of fans appreciated and now they are back to these lame adaptations. I'm a big fan of TFS but I believe they have influence in this direction taken by the English dub.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:40 am

jeffbr92 wrote:

Finally more people are realizing the damage FUNimation is doing with this dub, it's such a shame after their outstading work in Kai 1.0 which a lot of fans appreciated and now they are back to these lame adaptations. I'm a big fan of TFS but I believe they have influence in this direction taken by the English dub.
"Damage"? :lol: Only the hardcore sub nerds like us in this thread are getting up-in-arms over these dumb lines. The average viewer doesn't care and probably doesn't even notice anything out of the ordinary.

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:02 am

jeffbr92 wrote:

The damage !?
You guys are seriously overreacting. I can understand people's dislike for the line in the episode, but saying that funimation is ruining the whole show is absolute nonsense.
"Oh dear...."

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:55 am

It's time to make the donuts!