I love the Funimation Dub pre-Kai

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kokonoe
Not Banned

I love the Funimation Dub pre-Kai

Post by Kokonoe » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:55 pm

I love it, I truly do. I love how the music is very diverse in sound even though it is synth, though there are some parts with real instruments which are neat. (Love Synth anyway as a SEGA Genesis fan) I love the dialogue edits and I feel it makes for better "TV", if you catch my drift, even if it's not the most accurate thing or completely rewritten meanings. I love all the humor, this part in particular cracks me up so much whereas in the original he states "turn you into egg", in this he merely states "do you like eggs"? Still funny to this day for me.

https://youtu.be/p9arjPweezs?t=5s

I also even love the "Ally to good, nightmare to you!" line as I feel it is much more exciting to me and makes the scene better. Not gonna lie I even like the color changes on the Orange Bricks even though I know it's a lazily done way to fix the color fading on the originals, the palette is satisfying enough for me for what it is (though I admit I don't like the cropping and it irritates me when companies refuse to release 4:3 releases).

And man...Piccolo's theme in the Faulconer Productions OST just speaks so much for the character, like the song just is so perfectly fitting to him. Anytime that theme plays I know it's my boy showing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4cHtWpl1Lg

But yeah, this dub has left a strong impression on me, I really love how much emotion Sabat put into the Final Flash theme and it alongside The Dragon's Theme is one of the most exciting parts in the series for me. The dub made this show so much better for me that I can't state enough how much I love it.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: I love the Funimation Dub pre-Kai

Post by The Patrolman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:59 pm

Buddy brace yourself
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:15 pm

you are wrong because i disagree with you opinion and i am rght becaue u r rong becase my opnion is beter than yours and u suck nw I'm of to go tel peope about politic

:mrgreen:

Anyway, honestly I wouldn't mind the oldschool Funi dubs if they'd gone ahead with their original plan back in the Saban days where Pioneer was going to head up an uncut dub in the style of the Pioneer movie dubs, which never came to pass. Under that scenario, those who want an accurate, true representation of the show would have an option, but the tampered-with TV dub with all the weird alterations, dub-only lines, replacement score, and such would still be there for all to enjoy.
As things are, this dub is the only dub of the entirety of Z, and the only fully-uncut dub there is of any of the series(BW GT is uncut aside from a handful of episodes that make edits to remove shots that have Goku's penis in view), so it's the default dub option at all times, which creates problems, and kind of mis-represents what the original show is.
So, without this baggage, I would have no love lost for the messy, inaccurate original dubs. It's a lot like the "Special Editions" of Star Wars in that way.
It would presumably still carry the baggage from them totally unfairly snubbing the Ocean cast and Ron Wasserman, but I wouldn't consider it an active detriment to the perception of the franchise.

But, most of this is meta issues, not issues I have with the actual product itself. Honestly, I have a hard time actually criticising the OG Funi dubs themselves outside of taking apart the failings of the dialogue from an accuracy standpoint, because the guys behind it clearly put in a lot of work and have a lot of passion for the franchise, and given how much everyone has improved over the years, it's clear these guys have put in the work... The OG Funi dubs aren't for me, but more power to you if you like it. I will say that if you haven't given it a go already, you may find it a rewarding and insightful experience to rewatch it all in Japanese subbed(And in particular, if you've never watched all the original three series back-to-back, or just simply never put the time into watching the original DB series all the way through, that's a massively worthwhile experience, subbed or otherwise), but there is absolutely nothing wrong with liking the OG Funi dubs, and anyone who tells you otherwise should be sent to the next dimension.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:24 pm

The Patrolman wrote:Buddy brace yourself
For opposing opinions written in a descriptive manner, that may end up being scathing criticism of the dub but not of OP as a person? Yeah, he better watch out.

Anyway, I disagree, but citing all the reasons why would be old news by this point. All I'll say is I agree with Robo4900. Had there been an alternate version of the show with an accurate dub, original music, and better casting, the existence of the Ocean/FUNi dubs wouldn't bother me. But as it is, it's.........well, what Robo4900 said.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:29 pm

This is not a worthwhile contribution. Please review the community guidelines, which you agreed to (twice) prior to registration.

People are allowed to like and discuss whatever they want to like and discuss for whatever reasons they hold dear and are willing to articulate. That being said, the focus of Kanzenshuu and its community is and always will be on the original Japanese version of the franchise.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:46 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
People are allowed to like and discuss whatever they want to like and discuss for whatever reasons they hold dear and are willing to articulate.
I get that I was trying to make a joke but I guess I worded it wrong
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:57 pm

Youre not a real fan then. I bet you dislike the Japanese version because of Japanese Goku's voice!!!

Just kidding :P Personally, I disagree. I used to watch it and enjoyed it until I saw Kai's English Dub and Super in Japanese. Now the original Funi dub in some parts is almost unwatchable to me, but it's great that you can enjoy it! :)

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:26 pm

Robo4900 wrote:you are wrong because i disagree with you opinion and i am rght becaue u r rong becase my opnion is beter than yours and u suck nw I'm of to go tel peope about politic

:mrgreen:

Anyway, honestly I wouldn't mind the oldschool Funi dubs if they'd gone ahead with their original plan back in the Saban days where Pioneer was going to head up an uncut dub in the style of the Pioneer movie dubs, which never came to pass. Under that scenario, those who want an accurate, true representation of the show would have an option, but the tampered-with TV dub with all the weird alterations, dub-only lines, replacement score, and such would still be there for all to enjoy.
As things are, this dub is the only dub of the entirety of Z, and the only fully-uncut dub there is of any of the series(BW GT is uncut aside from a handful of episodes that make edits to remove shots that have Goku's penis in view), so it's the default dub option at all times, which creates problems, and kind of mis-represents what the original show is.
So, without this baggage, I would have no love lost for the messy, inaccurate original dubs. It's a lot like the "Special Editions" of Star Wars in that way.
It would presumably still carry the baggage from them totally unfairly snubbing the Ocean cast and Ron Wasserman, but I wouldn't consider it an active detriment to the perception of the franchise.

But, most of this is meta issues, not issues I have with the actual product itself. Honestly, I have a hard time actually criticising the OG Funi dubs themselves outside of taking apart the failings of the dialogue from an accuracy standpoint, because the guys behind it clearly put in a lot of work and have a lot of passion for the franchise, and given how much everyone has improved over the years, it's clear these guys have put in the work... The OG Funi dubs aren't for me, but more power to you if you like it. I will say that if you haven't given it a go already, you may find it a rewarding and insightful experience to rewatch it all in Japanese subbed(And in particular, if you've never watched all the original three series back-to-back, or just simply never put the time into watching the original DB series all the way through, that's a massively worthwhile experience, subbed or otherwise), but there is absolutely nothing wrong with liking the OG Funi dubs, and anyone who tells you otherwise should be sent to the next dimension.
Oh I'm a huge Dragon Ball nut, I've watched the sub a few times, only one I didn't was Kai's sub but from what I hear I'm not missing out on much anyway. Just nearly everything about the pre Kai dub speaks to my specific tastes, though I mean I also jam to the Japanese OST (I own both) as well. We Were Angels and We Gotta Power being my favorites, but you also gotta love Solid State Scouter.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:40 pm

Kokonoe wrote:Oh I'm a huge Dragon Ball nut, I've watched the sub a few times, only one I didn't was Kai's sub but from what I hear I'm not missing out on much anyway. Just nearly everything about the pre Kai dub speaks to my specific tastes, though I mean I also jam to the Japanese OST (I own both) as well. We Were Angels and We Gotta Power being my favorites, but you also gotta love Solid State Scouter.
Ah, very good. :)
Glad to see nothing has ruined your appreciation of any version of the show. I'm somewhat similar with the various Ocean dubs.

I think Kai is definitely worth watching subbed, despite what others say; the only thing you're really likely to notice is that the dead actors were recast, and the living actors usually sound older. Ryusei Nakao is goddamn amazing in it, though. I've heard some even consider his performance in Kai to be superior to his performance in Z. Dunno if I agree with that, but he is a boss.

Solid State Scouter is pretty great, but for me, nothing beats Mezase Tenkaichi. :D
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:17 pm

DB, GT and the Movies are all fine to me except for the times FUNimation stupidly added annoying lines that went on for too long and had no place to even include them. The FUNimation dub that really isn't quite as good as DB/GT/Movies is the Z one, despite FUNi's multiple attempts to redub it, they never got it right until Kai came along.

Thank god for Kai 'cause it showed FUNimation can actually pronounce shit correctly. Not that they couldn't, they just didn't want to.

I've read that the Z TV-Specials' dubs are pretty wacky but I've yet to watch that just to see how bad it is.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:20 am

They still don't want to even IN Kai. 'Gokuh', 'Saiyan', 'Gero', etc. They certainly know how. I mean, getting 'Makankosappo' right is impressive.
Kokonoe wrote:I love how the music is very diverse in sound even though it is synth, though there are some parts with real instruments which are neat.
I'm old, so I like me some late 80's and early 90's music, which is all about the synthesizers. If this is what the Faulconer score sounded like, I would love it. However, it doesn't. Rather, it sounds very cheap and almost MIDI-like. Now, the Rosserman score on the other hand has a much better synthesizer, and I LOVE the drum sample used. Some of his songs even sounded like some of the DBZ vocal songs. Of course, it does have a flaw: the new songs got more and more boring as the show progressd. Reversely, the Faulconer score does have a couple positives: the occasional catchy melody, and a real instrument (I'm pretty sure it's just the one: an electric guitar).
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:34 am

Kokonoe wrote:I love it, I truly do. I love how the music is very diverse in sound even though it is synth, though there are some parts with real instruments which are neat. (Love Synth anyway as a SEGA Genesis fan) I love the dialogue edits and I feel it makes for better "TV", if you catch my drift, even if it's not the most accurate thing or completely rewritten meanings. I love all the humor, this part in particular cracks me up so much whereas in the original he states "turn you into egg", in this he merely states "do you like eggs"? Still funny to this day for me.

https://youtu.be/p9arjPweezs?t=5s

I also even love the "Ally to good, nightmare to you!" line as I feel it is much more exciting to me and makes the scene better. Not gonna lie I even like the color changes on the Orange Bricks even though I know it's a lazily done way to fix the color fading on the originals, the palette is satisfying enough for me for what it is (though I admit I don't like the cropping and it irritates me when companies refuse to release 4:3 releases).

And man...Piccolo's theme in the Faulconer Productions OST just speaks so much for the character, like the song just is so perfectly fitting to him. Anytime that theme plays I know it's my boy showing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4cHtWpl1Lg

But yeah, this dub has left a strong impression on me, I really love how much emotion Sabat put into the Final Flash theme and it alongside The Dragon's Theme is one of the most exciting parts in the series for me. The dub made this show so much better for me that I can't state enough how much I love it.
I agree the pre-Kai Funimation dubs are actually awesome despite their flaws in places, and the Faulconer score is one of the best things about the Z dub. It's a rare opinion to have on here but the OG Z dub with Faulconer remains my optimal way to watch it, and I say that as someone who has watched Kai several times and all of DB/Z/GT in Japanese once and appreciated it as the original.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:27 am

Apart from the Pioneer trilogy, the pre-Kai Funi dubs don't do it for me. I used to like them, but after watching dub Kai and Jap DB/Z/GT I find it hard to go back. The improved voice acting and musical score just make everything a much more enjoyable experience for me. That said, its all subjective and I celebrate anyone who gets pleasure out of watching the pre-Kai dubs.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:53 am

Kokonoe wrote:I love how the music is very diverse in sound even though it is synth
Well, that certainly is something. To me the Faulconer score just sounds like a bunch of annoying noises without any real value. Except for Goku, Vegeta, Freeza, Cell and Super Boo theme songs.

The last one I'd bet Faulconer Productions plagiarized it but I like it so it doesn't bother me, if it really is. Or not. Maybe just pure coincidence.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:20 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:I love how the music is very diverse in sound even though it is synth
Well, that certainly is something. To me the Faulconer score just sounds like a bunch of annoying noises without any real value. Except for Goku, Vegeta, Freeza, Cell and Super Boo theme songs.

The last one I'd bet Faulconer Productions plagiarized it but I like it so it doesn't bother me, if it really is. Or not. Maybe just pure coincidence.
I heckin love the OST, easily the greatest anime OST for me personally. Pikkon's Theme is glorious.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:37 am

Kokonoe wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:

I heckin love the OST, easily the greatest anime OST for me personally. Pikkon's Theme is glorious.
Unofficial/replacement score, that is. I'd find it interesting if FUNimation got rid of completely of the Faulconer soundtrack and stuck to the original for upcoming releases.

I'm guessing they'll eventually do that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:57 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Well, that certainly is something. To me the Faulconer score just sounds like a bunch of annoying noises without any real value. Except for Goku, Vegeta, Freeza, Cell and Super Boo theme songs.

Unofficial/replacement score, that is. I'd find it interesting if FUNimation got rid of completely of the Faulconer soundtrack and stuck to the original for upcoming releases.

I'd guess if TOEI remaster the series and Funi license it that the American release will mirror the Dragon Boxes and use Kikuchi. Original Funi releases (Eg possible future UHD Season sets) will follow a historical precedent by including the three audio tracks, one using the American score.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:03 pm

If you love the pre-Kai Funimation dubs, then more power to you.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:38 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Well, that certainly is something. To me the Faulconer score just sounds like a bunch of annoying noises without any real value. Except for Goku, Vegeta, Freeza, Cell and Super Boo theme songs.

If they do ever decide to leave it out I for one won't be supporting said release, and I'm certain many others wouldn't either.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:16 am

90sDBZ wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Kokonoe wrote: I heckin love the OST, easily the greatest anime OST for me personally. Pikkon's Theme is glorious.

If they do ever decide to leave it out I for one won't be supporting said release, and I'm certain many others wouldn't either.
Dragon Box Z was like this. It's really just making progress and leave the replacement music in the past.