"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 14/07]

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:59 pm

Doesn't Old Paragus kind of remind you of King Vegeta in a way? He has the same general facial structure and his hair is very similar
Not in the slightest, his hair's not that close and the face is mostly covered in beard, so I'm really not seeing it much other than them both being dudes past their 40's who have a bit of facial hair.

If I got any vibes of paragus he looks like a younger version of that pleb Planthorr.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:11 pm

Like I said in the other thread, this movie might be the best animated piece to come out from this franchise! I'm really excited to watch it, even if the plot sucks
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:36 pm

Getting very mixed feelings with this trailer. On one hand we have some amazing shots of Goku, Vegeta and Piccolo that finally look like themselves (except for that shot of Vegeta wearing the coat, he looks super scrawny in that thing), while on the other hand this just continues my worry that this movie is going to mostly resemble that floaty, artsy style that seems to be the hip thing to do if you're a "great" animator in Japan these days.

I just can't stand all this loose bollocks, especially not in fucking Dragon Ball of all things. In some shots of the trailer, especially where Goku powers up as a SSJ, there's pretty much no weight or power conveyed in the movement at all. Giving me bad jibes that the fights are going to be the characters just gliding across the screen surrounded by smears with a shaky camera ( you guys know what I mean right?? Like that Naruto shit posted earlier) It's kinda cool and probably takes a loooooooot of talent to pull off yeah, but why? To just get this artsy mess? Yeah it moves a lot but it doesn't look very good, most fights in the Z TV series look better and I know the animation for the show wasn't even technically impressive, but it was pulled off superbly.

Is it because animators in Japan now are mostly socially ignorant degenerates with no comprehension of how proper human beings work? Idk man.
I just want stuff that looks as good as the old Z movies, why doesn't that seem to be possible anymore? They cranked out fucking 2 of them a year IN ADDITION to the TV series, and they looked spectacular. Do animators just not want to produce stuff like that anymore? Were the animators back then just more talented than people working now? Did they unlock some great secret that's been lost to future generations? Genuinely curious about this fellas, help me out here fellow geeks.

All the new characters suck, as expected. Super skinny modern Toriyama mixed in with stuff trying to emulate older more defined models.
Bulma and Whis looks like crap. A shame about Whis, especially after having that glimpse of how good he good could look in that Takahashi episode. Bulma can't catch a break, can she? Looks like she and all other females in modern Dragon Ball are destined to look like dolls forever.

The effects and shit at the end with Broly chimping out looked really messy and overdone too. Didn't like the look of that at all.

Don't have time to make a more structured post or whatever.
RIP Z aesthetic you will be missed :(

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:54 pm

The line work reminds me so much of Tiger Mask W. I don't really know how to describe it, but if you watch the trailer and a clip from Tiger Mask W then you'll see what I'm talking about. Looks really nice!

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:58 pm

The trailer was absolutely meh :thumbdown:
- Base goku at the beggining of the trailer just looked like the uncorrected goku on teaser
- I liked all vegeta closeups when blocking the punches, very DBZ stylish, and I guess that was shida, especially in base broly initial rage animation
- No remarkable animation at all
- The effects looked terrible
- SSJG goku close up it's just :sick: that eye shape... like wtf?
- pure BS 3D animation in one moment of SSB

Honestly, I expected more, remember this movie has to surpass DBS 130, because suppossedly has the foundation to be amazingly animated
Last edited by cuartas on Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:04 pm

cuartas wrote:The trailer was absolutely meh :thumbdown:
In comparison to what?

It was certainly the best movie trailer that modern DB has received, not too mention its easily the most animated trailer.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:07 pm

I agree. It was bad.

SOme frames look worse than DBS anime series. And those shots of Frieza remind of Golden Frieza saga. It looks that awful.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:07 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
In comparison to what?

It was certainly the best movie trailer that modern DB has received, not too mention its easily the most animated trailer.
See my expanded answer

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:07 pm

The dragon ball community is the worst....

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:08 pm

Ah, I was waiting for the contrarian to show up. :wave:

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:09 pm

I swear this community is garbage.. haters always have something to say even when its good. But on Youtube that trailer has 34k likes so a lot of people liked it. :clap:
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:12 pm

Hit!! wrote:The dragon ball community is the worst...
For thinking different than you? I thought the trailer was great, but I also respect people opinions who didn't like it

by Doctor.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:13 pm

TheQuazz wrote:Is it because animators in Japan now are mostly socially ignorant degenerates with no comprehension of how proper human beings work? Idk man.
You can criticize the art and animation style of the trailer all you want-- That's your right. What isn't your right is to make shamelessly racist remarks about another culture.

Moving away from that hateful comment, I thought the trailer looked fucking fantastic, aside from one rather ugly and intrusive (IMO) CGI shot of SSJB Goku and Broly flying at each other. I seriously hope the CGI in this film is kept to an absolute minimum, after the godawful use of it in the previous two movies.
Last edited by MrTennek on Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LimitbreakerKrillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by LimitbreakerKrillin » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:14 pm

Sounds like Christopher Sabat is voicing Broly in the dub trailer. I wonder if Vic Mignogna gave that roll a pass because it put too much strain on his vocal chords doing his Broly voice.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:14 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
For thinking different than you? I thought the trailer was great, but I also respect people opinions who didn't like it
Hating for the sake of hating is not "thinking different".

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:18 pm

LimitbreakerKrillin wrote:Sounds like Christopher Sabat is voicing Broly in the dub trailer. I wonder if Vic Mignogna gave that roll a pass because it put too much strain on his vocal chords doing his Broly voice.
I understand why Vic Mignogna would want to pass on doing more Broli Voicework, but why would it be Chris Sabat? He already has plenary of roles like Vegeta, Piccolo, Yamcha, and more. That would give him more Dragonball characters to voice. And even so, I don’t even hear any of Sabat in the Dub Trailer.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:20 pm

Hit!! wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
Hating for the sake of hating is not "thinking different".
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

This is not hating for the sake of hating
Funny thing is, that abomination comes after this masterpiece (I assume it's Takahashi):

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

And this trailer just shows how the animators are throwing drawings on their own, without a minimal intent of consistency
Last edited by cuartas on Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:20 pm

Who cares about Minogna and Sabat, I'm just happy that Shimada is back as Broly

by Doctor.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:21 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:Who cares about Minogna and Sabat, I'm just happy that Shimada is back as Broly
Uh, us Dub fans? Don't be so rude about it.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:31 pm

MrTennek wrote:Uh, us Dub fans? Don't be so rude about it.
Oh my bad then

by Doctor.