How do you feel about Freeza being an ally?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

How do you feel about Freeza being an ally?

Post by precita » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:29 pm

Given we see him fighting Broly in the trailer, there's a possibility he may team up with Goku/Vegeta again. How do you feel about this?

At least in the TOP, Freeza was still using U7 for his own selfish desires (coming back to life, he wanted to get the Super Dragon Balls), so I was able to swallow it. However now that Freeza is back, seeing him team up with Goku/Vegeta again, even to take out a strong enemy, is getting hard to swallow.

I hate the idea of Freeza transitioning to being an ally, I know he'll never become "good" as a good guy, but the more he teams up with Goku/Vegeta, the less of a villain he'll feel like. Personally I hate the idea, and I kinda hoped Freeza would be left on his own to the future when he tries to take over the Gods in a later arc.

LifeLight

Re: How do you feel about Freeza being an ally?

Post by LifeLight » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:29 pm

Frieza vs Broly is 100% something I want to see, regardless of how the fight is done. I think it'll be cool.

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:49 pm

I don't like it. We have seen enough bad guys turning good in Dragon Ball. Instead of being good, i would like Frieza to go off and do his own thing. Conquering the universe is not a realistic goal for him anymore, but suddenly becoming this good person just isn't something i think i could buy into. After all of the evil things he has done, i just can't see how they could pull off such a personality transplant.

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:21 pm

I don't like the idea of Freeza becoming an ally or a "good guy", It's obviously not in his nature and the end of super illustrates that he has no desire to change his ways. I am ok with him temporarily allying with Goku and co temporarily to get his way. I can see him getting beat down by Broly and using Goku and Vegeta's help to contain him. As long as Freeza is using the alliance for his benefit I see no problem to it.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:22 am

LifeLight wrote:Frieza vs Broly is 100% something I want to see, regardless of how the fight is done. I think it'll be cool.
I agree with this. Gotta see what Golden Frieza can do against Broly.

And I don't think Frieza is siding with Goku and Vegeta. I just think he hates Saiyans so he's going to try to take this one out
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:57 am

Definitely curios on frieza vs broly, even if the trailer kind of gives it away that Freeza's probably going to get stomped (he also seemed underwhelming in the ToP to be honest).

I dont think he'll be an ally so I wouldnt worry. Dont forget hes running the Frieza force again hence the new minions. I doubt they're doing good work.

GohanHiddenPowers

Post by GohanHiddenPowers » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:57 am

The more he helps Goku and Vegeta, less vilanious he will be. Unless the movie prove me wrong. I definitely want to be wrong.

LifeLight

Post by LifeLight » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:37 am

nato25 wrote:Definitely curios on frieza vs broly, even if the trailer kind of gives it away that Freeza's probably going to get stomped (he also seemed underwhelming in the ToP to be honest).

I dont think he'll be an ally so I wouldnt worry. Dont forget hes running the Frieza force again hence the new minions. I doubt they're doing good work.
Golden Frieza from what I'm aware is equal to SSB Goku and Vegeta, and we know Broly is tossing SSB around like a ragdoll, so we can probably assume Golden Frieza will get the same treatment. Even if he has been training and has managed to get as strong as SSBK and SSBE, they'll still all get stomped.

Although I think it would be cool if Frieza kills Paragus and tries to go after the controlling device he has, seems like a strategic move he'd try to take. Maybe even lowkey try and take control of Broly to kill Goku and Vegeta, then when he's worn down try to take him out himself. But ultimately fails when it backfires and Broly goes into Legendary form and breaks free.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:46 am

I don't think he's becoming good at all. My theory is Freeza's plan is to use Broly against Goku and Vegeta by mind-controlling him. The fight in the trailer is either early on when Freeza is testing him or late in the picture when Broly inevitably breaks control and Freeza has to try and put him down. I don't think he'll die, but he ain't winning and he certainly isn't teaming up with them.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:59 am

I think he's just doing what he has to to survive so he isn't an ally, not yet. I think he's doing what Vegeta did on Namek, working with others to reach his goals and survive, even if those others are his enemies.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:47 am

I'm expecting he'll be used early on where he'll have the stuffing kicked out of him to show people how dangerous Broly will be. You'll be left wondering if Frieza died the whole time but then he might show up in the after credits scene or something.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:27 am

To be honest, i really hope Freeza is the one behind Broly going to Earth (you know as an evil plot scheme or something). So he's not actually an ally, but he's trying to defend himself after his plan fails (either because Paragus betrays him or because he loses control over Broly). This would also explain all the excitement that he apparently got from meeting a really powerful saiyan.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:29 am

As long as Freeza is still around, turning to the good side with each passing arc is inevitable, then one day you see him and Gohan studying together with pan playing with his tail..
This is considering he stays, the "Goku effect" shouldn't be ignored, it's turned all his living enemies into ally..

As for how I like it, as long as Freeza keeps the entertaining personality intact and his fighting dosen't mellow down, I don't particularly oppose the idea of him turning good..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:50 pm

I can see Freeza teaming up with the rest out of necessity, much like in the ToP. But going good? Nope.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:35 pm

I think that Toriyama is slowly wanting to turn the Frieza characters into not complete a-holes. We also now see Golden Cooler teaming up with Trunks and Vegeta against a common foe. Granted, it's a what-if scenario and 'not-canon', but seeing what's been happening with Broly makes me believe that Cooler will also become canon. But it is very interesting that they give Cooler a main supporting role in the DB Heroes Super anime *and* they make him an ally. A reluctant one, but an ally nonetheless.

Interesting times for fans of Frieza's race, like moi.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:45 am

Freeza becoming good would be the one thing to make me quit watching modern Dragonball. Like I can't even think of a bigger jump the shark moment besides that.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:23 pm

As a chronic backstabber maybe, but not as an ally. If anything either Freeza fight him should be kept separate from Goku & Vegeta, or he is just in the background trying to get rid of them all from behind the scenes. I still want Freeza to be a threat, maybe an unpredictable one now, or work with them only by coincidence like Vegeta was in the Namek and Android arc, not as an actual alliance. Freeza just loses his threat the more trustworthy he is made to be. If anything they should have it just that Freeza's involvement intersects Goku & Vegeta being there, and they meet or they show up and Freeza deems them as just interfering his intentions again like on Namek but considers using them experimentally like how he treated Frost.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Izanagi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Izanagi » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:10 pm

I don't like it, and frankly, I'm getting tired of Freeza at this point. He is too pedestalized and Super just keeps fucking up his appeal and the reasons why he's such a big and popular villain that he's just been reduced to Goku's douchey sidekick. First he was brought back as Mecha Freeza, who was taking orders from his dad and it reduced his intimidating demeanour into a daddy's boy. Then he came back the second time in RoF and his threatening persona dwindled and he became Goku and Vegeta's punching bag who're calling dibs to beat him up. And the tip of the iceberg? We found out that Beerus ordered Freeza to destroy Planet Vegeta, which undermines the animosity between the Saiyans and Freeza. Tournament of Power is probably the best portrayal of Freeza to date, I'd even lie if I didn't say I have been enjoying him the most among the ensemble cast, though I do wish he was given a proper burial instead of constantly getting revived all the time. His appeal and hierarchy as a villain is still there, but it's not as great nor intense as it used to be.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:39 pm

I don't mind having Freeza fight the same enemy the guys are fighting(now with no interest in their wellbeing), but rehashing ep 131 would be just sad. And making Freeza a recurring villain/ally would turn the most scary villain in the franchise into the alien version of Professor Chaos.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:57 pm

I can't take Freeza seriously as a potential enemy force due to how much disrespect that man has been given since his defeat on Namek, so I dont want him having some ulterior motive of working with them for his evil scheme or any of that crap.

He has only been fun in the Tournament of Power and Namek, but we're never gonna get that old Freeza again, so just make him Goku's friend. He can be the dickhead friend like Vegeta in the Cell Arc, but actually likeable.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."