Would you say Linda Young got better or worse over time?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Would you say Linda Young got better or worse over time?

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:31 am

I mean, let's be real, if an actor is miscast in a role, there's not much they can do. Young did improve her acting, and the direction she was given improved, but a miscasting is still a miscasting. She's a great fit for Baba, but as Freeza, she just wasn't the right choice, unfortunately.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:59 am

Yes, of course she improved. But sometimes her voice sounded a tad over crass. In my opinion her best performance was in Burst Limit.

I've always held the opinion that she is extremely underrated as Freeza and could do great with the right script and direction. And while I do ultimately prefer Chris Ayers' as Freeza I can't help but think "what if?" every time I see a piece of modern Dragonball with Freeza in it. Everyone else gave a great performance in the English dub for Kai, and that laugh in Episode 1 was a good start; so I can't help but feel that if she had been given a script similar to the video games her performance would have turned out great.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:34 pm

I am a fan of Linda young , I think that she is great as frieza , and I think she was iconic as genkai.

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:53 am

Ssjcell wrote:I am a fan of Linda young , I think that she is great as frieza , and I think she was iconic as genkai.
I think the same way you do. I couldn't think of a more fitting person to voice Genkai, they really got the cast spot on for Yu Yu Hakusho.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:21 am

Scott wrote:
Ssjcell wrote:I am a fan of Linda young , I think that she is great as frieza , and I think she was iconic as genkai.
I think the same way you do. I couldn't think of a more fitting person to voice Genkai, they really got the cast spot on for Yu Yu Hakusho.
She was a good fit for Genkai, and I didn't think her acting was anything distracting so it couldn't have been that bad (not watched YYH in a number of years).

I actually prefer her portrayal of Freeza to Ayres, but at the same time I don't think her acting was great. I felt having her play Freeza complemented his androgynous appearance, and there was something more menacing and alien about that, think of HIM from Powerpuff Girls. I feel like Ayres portrays the character more faithfully and as an adult I can appreciate now that his acting is far better than Young, however I have always had a soft spot for the gender ambiguous Freeza of my childhood when it comes to the English dub.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:27 am

Even if you think it's good, "iconic" is a step too far.

Young's portrayal wasn't androgynous. It wasn't the Ziggy Stardust of DBZ performances. It was an older woman playing a character who is supposed to be an uppercrust gentleman/psychopath, but instead comes across as an over the top vaguely sexual telling really bad jokes and TRYING to sound creepy, but comes off as little more than a bad Saturday morning cartoon villain.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:45 am

ABED wrote:Even if you think it's good, "iconic" is a step too far.

Young's portrayal wasn't androgynous. It wasn't the Ziggy Stardust of DBZ performances. It was an older woman playing a character who is supposed to be an uppercrust gentleman/psychopath, but instead comes across as an over the top vaguely sexual telling really bad jokes and TRYING to sound creepy, but comes off as little more than a bad Saturday morning cartoon villain.
What isn't great about that?

And I was referring to the fact that Freeza's design is androgynous, so having an obvious woman's voice complemented that. If we are talking about faithfulness to the character obviously Young's portrayal is awful, but I do think a lot of the negativity towards her is down to a poor script and the dub's general poor treatment, she was never going to portray the character any different than how the people paying her wage told her to. I agree it definitely isn't iconic though, more infamous.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:27 am

Sin wrote:
ABED wrote:Even if you think it's good, "iconic" is a step too far.

What isn't great about that?

And I was referring to the fact that Freeza's design is androgynous, so having an obvious woman's voice complemented that. If we are talking about faithfulness to the character obviously Young's portrayal is awful, but I do think a lot of the negativity towards her is down to a poor script and the dub's general poor treatment, she was never going to portray the character any different than how the people paying her wage told her to. I agree it definitely isn't iconic though, more infamous.
I agree. Had Chris Ayres been hired to play Freeza from the onset, he, too, would do the "Pop goes the weasel hur hur hur" stuff as she did and probably deliver lines the way she did because that's the direction they were going in. Clearly that's the direction they were going in if nobody corrected her especially by the time they got to the Boo arc or GT. So that's why my earlier point was that we really don't know how things could have been with different directing and a different script, but her voice itself was fine (more particularly later on when she got the hang of it).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:19 am

Iconic isn't a synonym for "great". Iconic in this context requires the performance to be widely known and recognized as great.

Having a woman's voice doesn't mean Freeza sounds androgynous, he sounds like an older woman.

Linda Young always sounds like she's performing. She's over the top cheesy. Ayres and Nakao are flamboyant and in an awesome way that fits the character. I don't like the performance and never found it fitting. She got moderately better, but that's not saying much.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:40 am

ABED wrote:Iconic isn't a synonym for "great". Iconic in this context requires the performance to be widely known and recognized as great.

Having a woman's voice doesn't mean Freeza sounds androgynous, he sounds like an older woman.

Linda Young always sounds like she's performing. She's over the top cheesy. Ayres and Nakao are flamboyant and in an awesome way that fits the character. I don't like the performance and never found it fitting. She got moderately better, but that's not saying much.
I must not have come across properly in my last post or you have misread it. I said it isn't iconic, and I made a playful joke when I rhetorically asked what isn't great about her portrayal being similar to a Saturday cartoon villain.

I also never said the character sounds androgynous, I said the design is androgynous. Also yes, Ayres is more faithful to the part and a better counterpart to Nakao's portrayal, and it's fine to think that (or the opposite) - but we are discussing whether she got better over time, regardless of how she was being paid to play the part.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:44 am

Sin wrote:
ABED wrote:Iconic isn't a synonym for "great". Iconic in this context requires the performance to be widely known and recognized as great.

I must not have come across properly in my last post or you have misread it. I said it isn't iconic, and I made a playful joke when I rhetorically asked what isn't great about her portrayal being similar to a Saturday cartoon villain.

I also never said the character sounds androgynous, I said the design is androgynous. Also yes, Ayres is more faithful to the part and a better counterpart to Nakao's portrayal, and it's fine to think that (or the opposite) - but we are discussing whether she got better over time, regardless of how she was being paid to play the part.
I did directly address the question. I said she got better, but not by much and I don't think she ever had the ability to sound great even with a better script. I've never rated her high as an actress. Ayres has the ability to make chicken soup out of chicken scratch, whereas Young doesn't.

Freeza isn't a saturday morning cartoon villain, and shouldn't be portrayed as such.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:37 pm

I was a big fan of her performance as fourth form Frieza in the 2 episodes she redubbed for him on the season 3 set
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:59 pm

She improved but only slightly. Can't helped though as she was just a bad cast for Freeza in general like Tiffany Volmer for Bulma.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:17 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:I was a big fan of her performance as fourth form Frieza in the 2 episodes she redubbed for him on the season 3 set
What episodes were those? I'm still unsure what they kept for Young and what they redubbed in the Freeza Saga.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:51 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPIikqNJyMA With all respect, it is good thing she was replaced, as we see in Burst Limit, she barely improved over years, even with better line, she stil made Freeza sound like grandma
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:41 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:I was a big fan of her performance as fourth form Frieza in the 2 episodes she redubbed for him on the season 3 set
What episodes were those? I'm still unsure what they kept for Young and what they redubbed in the Freeza Saga.
It's all over the place. She definitely redubbed everything up until his third form, and then the first 2 episodes after he transformed into his 4th form. From episode 84 on its her wretched original performance.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:51 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
It's all over the place. She definitely redubbed everything up until his third form, and then the first 2 episodes after he transformed into his 4th form. From episode 84 on its her wretched original performance.
That's reason i stick to original Singles if i want to watch dub, so i won't have to deal with such Frankenstein monster, i don't get it, what is point of redub only part of lines?
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:01 pm

coola wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
That's reason i stick to original Singles if i want to watch dub, so i won't have to deal with such Frankenstein monster, i don't get it, what is point of redub only part of lines?
It's especially weird when you hear grunts from the original dub and then they talk and it may even be a different actor (Ginyu's dub in the remastered version is jarring, as Dale Kelly's screams are all still intact).

I actually like Young's portrayal of Freeza in Budokai 2 for the PS2. Maybe nostalgia blinds me, but the performances in that game were actually pretty good especially considering it was dubbed during their original run.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada