Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:54 am

Will we get a second trailer? Can't believe that's the only content and then we have to wait until January for the actual movie
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:55 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: Ok. Characters important enough that aren’t any kind of Goku or Vegeta. We have Paragus, Freeza, Gogeta, Bardock, and Gine. 2 of these 5 characters can be A and B. But as for Freeza, why would they keep him a a secret?
They're labelled as "New Character" so yeah Freeza deffo ruled out. Paragus maybe but they labelled the Broly figure as "Full Power" so since that design and Paragus were revealed at the same time. I'm inclined to not think it's him, but it could be they wanting to play it safe in regards to him and unsure when he was gonna be revealed.

I doubt it's any of the Freeza minions too.

Ichiban Kuji figures are probably as the closest to high end/ premium Banpresto figures so these two characters have gotta be something to be paired up with FP Broly and SSGSS Goku.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:56 am

jeffbr92 wrote:Will we get a second trailer? Can't believe that's the only content and then we have to wait until January for the actual movie
Yeah we’ll definitely get a second trailer. Probably somewhere around October or November.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:13 am

As likely as UI coming back or Gogeta are for the final fight, I'd really like Beerus to jump in and fight someone seriously for once in animated form. That alone might make the movie the tiniest bit worthwhile.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:19 am

Just spitballing here, but it could Bardock be one of those secret characters? Or the mysterious Saiyan seen with Paragus?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:21 am

Beerus' (and Whis) constant appearances is also becoming something to be bothered by. He had never spent so much time in the same place other than his homeworld, and now it seems he just can't leave Earth.

Why would a god of the highest hierarchy be so predominant on a planet? Why is he there? For "food" once again? Shouldn't he go back to sleep for three or more decades as this is his natural behavior? Does he really need to appear?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:26 am

ekrolo2 wrote:As likely as UI coming back or Gogeta are for the final fight, I'd really like Beerus to jump in and fight someone seriously for once in animated form. That alone might make the movie the tiniest bit worthwhile.
Exactly, but it seems like Toriyama is not willing much to have Beerus nor Whis to take part of the action, which is stupid... Just have Goku to surpass them already, then the tension will not be sapped by their presence

by Doctor.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:27 am

Grimlock wrote:Beerus' (and Whis) constant appearances is also becoming something to be bothered by. He had never spent so much time in the same place other than his homeworld, and now it seems he just can't leave Earth.

Why would a god of the highest hierarchy be so predominant on a planet? Why is he there? For "food" once again? Shouldn't he go back to sleep for three or more decades as this is his natural behavior? Does he really need to appear?
He's an established character in Super now, and him and Whis have become fan favorites. Keeping them out wouldn't be smart on Toei's part. And, yes, they're there for food, that's their thing. Super acknowledged at the end of the U6 arc with Zeno that Beerus is technically not living up to his responsibilities. It's clear that the food, as well as the potential of Goku and Vegeta have Beerus and Whis very interested.

Just remember how excited Whis was when Goku first attained U.I. It's clear he's had an impact on them, even if they're not exactly friends or anything.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:27 am

Grimlock wrote:Beerus' (and Whis) constant appearances is also becoming something to be bothered by. He had never spent so much time in the same place other than his homeworld, and now it seems he just can't leave Earth.

This is something that bugs me too, the impression I got from his first appearance is it was something he needed to do to recharge his batteries. Similarly to Marvel's Odin who slept periodically to restore himself. I guess that was just a way to make time skips happen in-case they made more films but got dropped after becoming a long running series?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:37 am

The only way I can see Gogeta appearing is if Beerus show up and gets the same role as Paikuhan in Movie 12(stall until Gogeta appears).

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:37 am

Forte224 wrote:He's an established character in Super now, and him and Whis have become fan favorites. Keeping them out wouldn't be smart on Toei's part
I'm aware of that since that's an out-universe issue, but in-universe, their constant appearances it's terrible. He isn't shown to destroy any planet, at least not on-screen, he is just there on Earth every time for no reason at all.

I'm not fond of the idea of gods hanging out so casually with mortals.
ekrolo2 wrote:This is something that bugs me too, the impression I got from his first appearance is it was something he needed to do to recharge his batteries. Similarly to Marvel's Odin who slept periodically to restore himself. I guess that was just a way to make time skips happen in-case they made more films but got dropped after becoming a long running series?
Well, it wouldn't be original, but giving a reason for his sleep would probably be a cool thing. Regardless of that, he shouldn't be with the main cast this much. So out-of-place in many ways. :?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:40 am

perucho1990 wrote:The only way I can see Gogeta appearing is if Beerus show up and gets the same role as Paikuhan in Movie 12(stall until Gogeta appears).
Its MUCH more likely that Freeza would play the role of Paikuhan. I mean, he seems durable enough. He kept getting right back up after getting beat, hakai-ed, and head-squeezed by Toppo and by getting just pounded on time and time again by Jiren.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:41 am

Grimlock wrote:
Forte224 wrote:He's an established character in Super now, and him and Whis have become fan favorites. Keeping them out wouldn't be smart on Toei's part
I'm aware of that since that's an out-universe issue, but in-universe, their constant appearances it's terrible. He isn't shown to destroy any planet, at least not on-screen, he is just there on Earth every time for no reason at all.

I'm not fond of the idea of gods hanging out so casually with mortals.
“Zamasu...”
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Xaroc
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xaroc » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:43 am

perucho1990 wrote:The only way I can see Gogeta appearing is if Beerus show up and gets the same role as Paikuhan in Movie 12(stall until Gogeta appears).
Don't forget Freeza. It might seem like he brought Broly their for his own advantage, but maybe re realizes what he has done and how strong Broly is. So technically he could stall for time, IF Gokuu and Vegeta try the Fusion Dance. We can see Freeza fight against Broly in the Trailer, so it's not impossible.
PSN: Xaroc__
(playing Xenoverse 2 on PS5)
CaC-Name: Xaroc

交代だ ("Kōtaida")
"My turn." - Roxas, 2019

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:45 am

I just thought of something. What if the scene where we see the kids hand against the glass, is Goku. I don't know but that scene just reminds me of DB minus when goku departs from planet Vegeta.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:49 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Sigh. It's been four years, and this whole "your expectations were wrong" argument is getting really tiresome.
I never said anything about right or wrong. I'm saying that not meeting anyone's expectations is not necessarily a problem in quality. Expectations vary from person to person.
Gaffer Tape wrote:If they hadn't judged him to be inferior, he probably would have met the same fate as the rest of them and died. He certainly would never have saved earth and proven himself worthy to train under gods. Only because his fellow Saiyans concluded he had no potential did he manage to achieve it. And now he is face to face with the personification of that bigotry, and he is about to show him exactly what a low-born castoff can do and just how wrong they were about him. That despite their aspersions on him, he can be better than all of them.
That's quite an assumption. Goku never did things to prove others wrong. He did things to better himself, to surpass his own limitations. He could care less about what others think of him. And that's irrespective of the circumstances that led to him being sent to Earth. Nothing has changed in that regard. Nor has the irony being lost on his head bump changing the course of his life forever, since that's also irrespective of the motivation behind him being sent to Earth.

So sure, you can appreciate the constrast of the previous claims of people who were not involved in his departure to Earth, namely Raditz and Vegeta (claims that still hold true for the saiyan society and race that Goku was part of). But that's, at the end of the day, irrelevant and not a contradiction to the story.

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to whatever ends up in the movie regarding that timeframe and respective characters. Be it seconds-long shots or minutes-long sequences of flashbacks.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:51 am

Why is he there? Because I’m sure life gets really boring after living as long as he has.

Aside from the food, I’m sure this is the most entertainment he’s gotten in this universe in a very very long time. How often does he have people like Goku pop up In his universe?

Assuming they don’t kill off Beerus, he’s going to live well past the lifespan of Goku and company. He might as well enjoy it now. Stop looking for stuff to complain about. This isn’t that big of a deal to warrant annoyance.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:04 pm

Good point. I’m starting to feel they’ve overstayed their welcome as well

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:09 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:Will we get a second trailer?
Yeah we’ll definitely get a second trailer. Probably somewhere around October or November.
Oh that's make me relieved.
Gaffer Tape wrote:
Luso Saiyan wrote:The whole point of Minus was to show the circumstances that led to Goku being sent away to Earth, which is something that directly ties to Jaco's series (hence why it's part of it) and by extension, Dragon Ball.

That its purpose and that what Toriyama set out to do. People are entitled not to like it, but to judge it as if it should be something else entirely, have a (dramatic) story arc, or be something akin to the TV special like a story about Bardock or his last stand against Freeza, is unfair. That wasn't the point of it. If anything, it leaves room for that story to be told later on as he sees fit, which is a bonus. I hope he takes that opportunity with this movie since I find the title character to be the least exciting thing about it.
[spoiler]Sigh. It's been four years, and this whole "your expectations were wrong" argument is getting really tiresome. I certainly had no expectations or desire for it to be the Bardock Special. That's a little gem I've had to refute for far too long. My only expectation was that it be good. That it tell an engaging story. Those are not overblown expectations. That's the bare minimum to expect of any work of fiction. And if that's become too high a standard, then our standards as Dragon Ball fans have become embarrassingly low. Because when I see people describe why they like Minus, it's usually written this way: "Well, yeah, it wasn't that great, but, man, we got to see Goku's mom, and that makes it totally worth it!" All Toriyama had to do was throw out that design, and some people just ate it up. That's not a story. That's fanservice. And we don't spend enough time with Goku's mom (or his dad for that matter) to understand who she is beyond the one superficial trait that she's peaceful. That's not a character. That's a piece of trivia.

And, well, here I am going down the rabbit hole again, and I'm not even sure why because I'm pretty sure you and I have had this discussion before. But I will admit I had one more expectation: that, as a prequel, this not screw anything up that came before. And it couldn't even manage to do that. And, no, I'm not talking about contradicting the Bardock special or little naked baby Goku. In fact, I'm just going to pull from my Dragon Ball Dissection script because I've enumerated this point too many times in the past to write it out again, and because, for anyone reading this the first time, I don't want to risk screwing it up in my haste:

"But what really makes Dragon Ball Minus such a disgrace in my eyes is because of this exchange right here. Before they start fighting, Vegeta tries to rattle Goku by comparing their statuses in Saiyan society, saying that Goku should feel privileged to get to fight an elite, and that the whole reason Goku was sent to earth in the first place is because Saiyans are tested for combat aptitude at birth, and those with no promise are sent to subjugate weak planets like this one. However, Goku is unfazed by this insult. In fact, he says he's glad to have been considered trash because that was what allowed him to escape those very limitations his society had placed upon him. It taught him that hard work is more important than social status or a fate placed on him while he's still an infant.

Goku's journey this arc, aside from running back and forth along a boring snake, ties into finding out who he is. And it's nothing good. His native species are terrible people. His brother kidnaps his son. His other remaining kinsmen kill his friends. He's saved the world, but he was actually sent here to destroy it, and it was only through a lucky chance that that wasn't exactly what ended up happening. But that's exactly who Goku is. He's one of them. Except that he's not. Even as far back as his birth, his people rejected him, labeled him as nearly worthless, and shipped him off to do the only thing they judged him capable of doing. And that's the beautiful irony of it all. If they hadn't judged him to be inferior, he probably would have met the same fate as the rest of them and died. He certainly would never have saved earth and proven himself worthy to train under gods. Only because his fellow Saiyans concluded he had no potential did he manage to achieve it. And now he is face to face with the personification of that bigotry, and he is about to show him exactly what a low-born castoff can do and just how wrong they were about him. That despite their aspersions on him, he can be better than all of them. Unless of course you believe Dragon Ball Minus where his parents love him so much that they send him to earth so he can thrive, which is exactly what he ends up doing. Yawn. Toriyama admittedly flies by the seat of his pants, but I can't think of a greater example of where he seemingly came upon an amazing plot and character thread so serendipitously that he had no idea he did it and so never realized he was gleefully backing over it with a truck."

So it's bad enough that Dragon Ball Minus doesn't tell a story, doesn't include any real characters, and wastes a quarter of its already limited space dangling shiny things in front of the faces of its audience in the hopes of distracting them from noticing the lack of story and characters. But the fact that it tramples over perhaps the most beautiful thematic underpinnings Dragon Ball has ever presented in favor of a half-baked Superman ripoff that isn't even interesting in and of itself is its ultimate insult. The contrast between Goku and Vegeta forms the bedrock of their rivalry, which continues to be one of the most important aspects of the franchise to this day. And that conversation between them, before they take their iconic fighting stances, is what sets that in motion, what lays out that contrast. Dragon Ball Minus does not entirely destroy that premise. But it does damage it. Go ahead. Go back to the Saiyan Arc. Re-read what Vegeta says. And I already know what you're going to say: "Vegeta wasn't there. He doesn't know the real story. That's not a plot hole. Continuity is preserved." That's not the point. That's not what's important. What Vegeta says carries emotional weight. If you're having to keep a variation of the above quote in your head while you're reading that scene, you're having to dismiss what Vegeta says as incorrect. And because you're having to handwave it away as unimportant inaccuracies that aren't technically a plothole, those words are no longer resonating! They're being dismissed. They're being ignored. Their ramifications are being lost. Because Dragon Ball Minus told you they're not true. They're not worth taking seriously. And for what? Because we got to see Goku's mom. Whoopty-flippin-do.

And, just to throw a guess out here, this is probably a non-issue. I could be completely wrong, but I don't think Minus is going to play any significant role in this movie. If I had to lay it on the table right now, with admittedly very little information, I'd say you just see flashes of moments from Minus, in some kind of flashback or something. While it might tie into some kind of contrast between Goku's story and Broli's story, I doubt it will be expanded on significantly. And that's not even wishful thinking on my part. Unless expanding on Dragon Ball Minus manages to screw up another plot or thematic device from classic Dragon Ball, there is really nowhere it can go but up. They can't make Dragon Ball Minus worse than it already is. As part of a brief flashback in service to another story, that material could actually work a bit better than it does as a standalone. And, if they actually do expand on it, well, then, maybe it will finally become a story. Those are all good things in my mind.[/spoiler]
Don't know how can anyone still defend Minus after this whole essay, that chapter was the most lame stuff to come out from DB.
Last edited by jeffbr92 on Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Doctor.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:10 pm

Wasn't there this rumour a while ago that Broly kills berrus in the movie?
If this has any merit some of these complaints should be addressed.. in a way..
Given the strength Broly is showing this shouldn't be impossible either if a matchup like this happens..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker