"Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan" & more coming to U.S. Theaters later this year!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: "Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan" & more coming to U.S. Theaters later this year!

Post by sintzu » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:25 am

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:The 12 year old me would’ve been excited as all hell for this. Unfortunately, I haven’t been 12 for over a decade. :|
Flashbacks of King Vegeta, Bardock, Paragus & Freeza all interacting and seeing the downfall of the planet ? Broly done right ? Goku and Vegeta finally fighting as one and eventually using the fusion dance ? I'm not 12 either but that sounds amazing. :mrgreen:
Any confirmation on king vegeta?
Not yet but with the story revolving around history and Destiny then it's safe to say he and Bardock will be here as Paragus will be in the movie.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan" & more coming to U.S. Theaters later this year!

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:42 am

Forte224 wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:Ah, ain't life good when things start making sense?
Broly re-screening
Bardock re-screening
Gogeta re-screening

That translates to: Broly, Saiyan origins, and fusion all in one movie, the first 2 of which are already confirmed. Mind blown.

:lol:
I will vomit if the fusions are in the movie. I can just about accept Broly but the fusion gimmick has long since past itself.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:17 pm

Any news about subbed screenings after all? If not, I'll be sending some stern calls or emails Funi's way. It's especially upsetting in light of dubbed and subbed Cowboy Bebop screenings being announced.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:46 pm

Any chance these'll be coming to Canada?
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:30 pm

Kuwabara wrote:Any news about subbed screenings after all? If not, I'll be sending some stern calls or emails Funi's way. It's especially upsetting in light of dubbed and subbed Cowboy Bebop screenings being announced.
That’s especially odd, given that unlike something like the Bardock special, people pretty much universally consider Cowboy Bebop to have a great English dub.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:06 pm

WittyUsername wrote:That’s especially odd, given that unlike something like the Bardock special, people pretty much universally consider Cowboy Bebop to have a great English dub.
The cast is obviously as good as the TV show's English dub, but I personally have a lot of issues with how the English version of Cowboy Bebop: The Movie is mixed. The music sounds drowned out throughout most of the film, it would be great if Funimation fixed that.

As far as why subbed screenings are being offered for Cowboy Bebop but not DBZ, it's just the same old same old with Funimation and Dragon Ball. Clearly no one in America must care about Dragon Ball in Japanese... After all, it's just vapid shit anyway unlike the masterpieces of Bebop, Evangelion, Ghibli etc.

If someone in a place of power at Funimation or Fathom Events is reading, read closely: I would buy out my local theater and give tickets to all of my friends and anyone who wanted to go if there were subbed screenings. I did it before when Fathom screened The Dark Crystal in my area, and I would do it again for Dragon Ball Z. I've seen the films in English a billion times already, give me something to write home about. I want to see the films in Japanese in a theater. I could even deal with muffled mono sound. I am an enthusiast, and I don't think it's a stretch to think that people who tend to be interested in subtitled screenings of films might be as hardcore as I am. This is a huge missed opportunity in my view, especially when two screening dates are being offered per film anyway.

I believe that the Dragon Ball North America Tour is going to be at Otakon this year, which I will be attending. I fully intend to make my voice heard to any officials there willing to listen, and invite anyone else in attendance to join me in making our voices heard. I can't be only one who would be all over subtitled screenings in the US.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:58 am

You know, I'm fairly certain that Funimation doesn't actually have anything to do with these particular screenings. Everywhere I look for information on these, Funimation is nowhere to be found, and that's including on the promo card that was handed out at Anime Expo. These events look like they're being handled exclusively by the American branch of Toei Animation, with no mention of Funimation's involvement whatsoever. That's not to say that Funimation hasn't made a habit of doing this with their own Dragon Ball screenings (they have), but in this instance it looks like they aren't the ones to blame.

EDIT: Oh, and yes, it looks like they will be coming to Canada, as per the promo card I linked to above.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:58 am

That's even more baffling, why would Toei not play up their own productions at least a little bit?

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:09 pm

Guess if they aren't subbed we can always do what Mike did and listen to the Japanese track on headphones while the movie is playing lol.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:25 am

It wont be on DVD by the time of the USA premiere...
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:12 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:It wont be on DVD by the time of the USA premiere...
This thread is about the screenings of movie 8, 12, and the Bardock special, not the new Super movie.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:22 am

OMG I'm SO STUPID. Sorry! In my defense all these Broly movies blend together after a while.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:41 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:OMG I'm SO STUPID. Sorry! In my defense all these Broly movies blend together after a while.
Haha, not stupid at all! It's an easy mistake to make. Honestly, there have been a couple times I've been reading this thread and I've had to double check that I was in the right one.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:47 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:You know, I'm fairly certain that Funimation doesn't actually have anything to do with these particular screenings. Everywhere I look for information on these, Funimation is nowhere to be found, and that's including on the promo card that was handed out at Anime Expo. These events look like they're being handled exclusively by the American branch of Toei Animation, with no mention of Funimation's involvement whatsoever. That's not to say that Funimation hasn't made a habit of doing this with their own Dragon Ball screenings (they have), but in this instance it looks like they aren't the ones to blame.

EDIT: Oh, and yes, it looks like they will be coming to Canada, as per the promo card I linked to above.
It’s funny because it isn’t the first time Movie 12 has been screened in theaters, but the promo card says “First time on the big screen.”

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:11 am

Well, looks like this is just how Dragon Ball is treated. The new Broly movie is confirmed to only be dubbed in theaters, despite FUNimation doing other theatrical anime subbed. So, I guess this is on FUNimation? I suppose it could still be Toei's fault. They're also the reason we have Special Beam Cannon, King Kai, Master Roshi, etc in the Crunchyroll English subtitles for Japanese Super.

Here's the tweet if anyone's interested: https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1 ... 13312?s=19

I really have no idea why we can't see these theatrical releases subtitled. Very disappointing.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:08 pm

Really? How could this be surpising to anyone? Not many people go to cinema's in the U.S to read subs while the action is going on, especially not casuals. Hardcore fans of the Japanese version won't get them ther money back for putting it in theatres in the first place. Unless you really wan't it in like only three theatres throught the country. And I say this as someone who enjoys the Japanese version.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:24 pm

Retan wrote:Really? How could this be surpising to anyone? Not many people go to cinema's in the U.S to read subs while the action is going on, especially not casuals. Hardcore fans of the Japanese version won't get them ther money back for putting it in theatres in the first place. Unless you really wan't it in like only three theatres throught the country. And I say this as someone who enjoys the Japanese version.
Seriously? FUNimation has done subbed releases for other anime, including Cowboy Bebop coming up.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:39 pm

And how many theatres did those appear in?

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:58 pm

Retan wrote:And how many theatres did those appear in?
The same as dubbed. From what I've seen, they usually reserve one day for a dubbed screening and another for a subbed screening. This is especially frustrating since these DBZ screenings are getting two dubbed screenings each, talk about salt in the wound.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:36 pm

I actually find the dubs of those films to be pretty good.

But... Gonna be having ankle surgery come the 9th of August, with at least 6 weeks of non-weight bearing. So, hitting the theaters for that one is a no go for me anyway.