"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by jplaya2023 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:07 pm

So who's all left in this tournament like 40 people got eliminated lol

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:08 pm

I already posted this on the movie thread, but I believe this post can belong here too considering there have been countless times talks about which is canon (it would better to say “more canon”) between the anime and the manga of Super.
Many times I have read people debating that Toriyama was more involved with the manga even though we had no idea how much Toriyama was involved in both mediums, although we knew for certain he was involved in both despite some fans decided to ignore how Toyotaro told that Toriyama was checking the storyboards of all DB related things, and how the producers of the US arc talked about their back and forth exchange of information with Toriyama, and how he also mentioned the anime-only Namekian Book of Legends in his December interview for Sakyo Jump.

I want to reiterate how I believe both the mediums of Super can be considered canonical, as they both tell the same story more or less. But, with this, it is clear that the animated Super (the main product followed by videogames too) is the more canonical of the two, as that’s where Toriyama is most likely more involved, more than ever now that he is writing the movie to fit as the continuation of the animated version.

The mis-interpreted poster from Comic-Con where it was stated that Super was the canonical continuation of the original manga wasn’t referring to the manga nor the anime, it was referring to Super in general, as a brand.
If it wasn’t already obvious by Goku’s words in the trailer, the fact the movie is animated and produced by Toei and the fact that the manga Tournament of Power isn’t over yet and that Toyotaro will do his own version of the movie, here’s further confirmation that the movie is indeed a continuation of the Dragon Ball Super anime: https://mantan-web.jp/article/20180723d ... 3000c.html

Here is the translation from Google Translate, and it is actually quite accurate.
“The first bullet advance ticket of theatrical version animation "Dragon Ball Super (Super) Brolly" (director Takeshi Nagamine, released December 14), which is the 20th work of popular anime "Dragon Ball" originally written by Toriyama Akira, It was released on Wednesday, and it sold about 24,000 sheets in 3 days, it became clear on 23rd. In 2-day sales from the sale, it was a record of 207.2% of "236.7% of" Dragon Ball Z God and God "(released in 2013)" F "of Dragon Ball Z Resurrection" (released in 15 years).

The movie version is an episode following the TV animation "Dragon Ball Super", Toriyama also worked on screenplay and character design. The "legendary super saiyan" 's bellie stood in front of Son Goku, furthermore the history of the freeza army and the Saiyan figure is painted.

The first bullet ticket has "super god (God) change strap" of Goku or Vegeta of cold weather clothing.”
It is also nice to see they have already sold more than twice the amount of pre-sale tickets BoG and RoF sold respectively. The english trailer has also racked up more than 6 million of views on YouTube alone, so the movie is already shaping up to be a big success!
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:47 pm

Wasn't it stated that Toriyama wrote some if not all the eliminations on who eliminates who? If so, then why all the differences in eliminations between the anime and manga?

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:55 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Wasn't it stated that Toriyama wrote some if not all the eliminations on who eliminates who? If so, then why all the differences in eliminations between the anime and manga?
I think it was only stated that he wrote who eliminated Piccolo.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:59 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Wasn't it stated that Toriyama wrote some if not all the eliminations on who eliminates who? If so, then why all the differences in eliminations between the anime and manga?
Yeah, that’s what the main director of the anime US arc, Nakamura, said.
Toriyama also said the manga version of the Tournament would have been different from the anime’s, so I believe he actually gave Toyotaro the freedom to decide how each character is eliminated, while for the anime team he wrote down how each U7 member had to go down.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:11 pm

Bergamo wrote:
What makes you say that?
emperior wrote:
Toriyama also said the manga version of the Tournament would have been different from the anime’s, so I believe he actually gave Toyotaro the freedom to decide how each character is eliminated, while for the anime team he wrote down how each U7 member had to go down.
Do you mind if you can link the interview for me please?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:14 pm

superfan2024 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
What makes you say that?
emperior wrote:
Do you mind if you can link the interview for me please?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... vival-arc/

Here it is. He mentioned how the course of events of U7 warriors was written by Toriyama, providing Piccolo as an example.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:03 pm

Just glad Toyotaro is keeping the feel of a battle royale where it's fast paced. So glad universes are getting X'd in a New York minute. He is going to focus all his attention on heavy hitters.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:29 pm

Exline wrote:Like Doctor said previously, no one is asking for a dedicated chapter for specific fighters, but for these characters to be used in interesting ways that give us an entertaining chapter to read. It's almost as if you are only interested in mindless action and not really anything else.
What's a more interesting way to be used than as fodder for Kale's transformation that doesn't result in more pages being eaten up by pointless characters the narrative has never asked us to even pay attention to, let alone actually care about?

"Mindless action" is what you get when there's just fights and every character getting their big moment in the spotlight. That's mindless, fanservicey and utterly devoid of artistic merit. Here, we're being told a story. That's what matters.

I sure would hate to see how people would react nowadays if the Saiyan arc was contemporary and Nappa was just trashing everyone. "Toriyama wasting Yamcha, Chaozu, and Tenshinhan! Why doesn't Krillin get a moment to shine? Etc."
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:50 pm

I can't wait to see my boy put that girl Kefla on her place, she think she's badass? Let's see how she will deal with the strongest non fused/deity fighter.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:58 pm

TKA wrote:I sure would hate to see how people would react nowadays if the Saiyan arc was contemporary and Nappa was just trashing everyone. "Toriyama wasting Yamcha, Chaozu, and Tenshinhan! Why doesn't Krillin get a moment to shine? Etc."
A better comparison would be the nameless fighters from the preliminaries of TenKaichi Budokai. Most of the participants are akin to them, someone like Gamisara would be a fighter appearing in the quarter finals, Toppo/Kefla someone appearing in the semi's and Jiren the finalist.

Expectations are out-of-wack I don't understand it. Formula is different but there's still the basic structure in place.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:05 pm

TKA wrote:I sure would hate to see how people would react nowadays if the Saiyan arc was contemporary and Nappa was just trashing everyone. "Toriyama wasting Yamcha, Chaozu, and Tenshinhan! Why doesn't Krillin get a moment to shine? Etc."
It would cause an epidemic of panic attacks.:lol:

It just demonstrates even more that Toyotaro has a better understanding of DB than TOEI. They are trying to be too mainstream, where it is a must that every character must get equal fighting spotlight somehow. Even if that contribution was boring and forgetful the next minute.
LightBing wrote:A better comparison would be the nameless fighters from the preliminaries of TenKaichi Budokai. Most of the participants are akin to them, someone like Gamisara would be a fighter appearing in the quarter finals, Toppo/Kefla someone appearing in the semi's and Jiren the finalist.

Expectations are out-of-wack I don't understand it. Formula is different but there's still the basic structure in place.
Yep. How would they feel if they were in the Cell games arc and had Piccolo and others train hard in the ROS&T only to stand and watch the event?
The rest of the Z Senshi were literally off-paneled by Cell Jr's later on.
Last edited by Miracles on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:06 pm

I must sound like a broken record at this point but this arc would've been so much better for me if it were just focused on U7, U11, and U6. Since Toyo barely utilized any of the new characters from the other universes in interesting ways he might as well have knocked them all out in the first chapter or not even included them in the first place. Most of the fights have been boring as shit and lack any sort of creativity, the only ones that had some creativity to them were between those two U4 fighters who's names I've forgotten. Which is why in retrospect I wish we could have just skipped them all together.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:25 pm

As for now, ToP in manga is godlike compared to anime which was totally unbearable in every degree.

Good to see that Kale at last became character on her own, instead of being pretty much Broly with lipstick. Not even Broly ripoff. Just Broly.
Entire birth of Kefla was a lot better since they fused to save Kale from dying. Fusing before getting eliminated by Goku was so lazy, bad and predictable.

And god bless a fact that 3/4 of irrelevant fighters were already eliminated so manga can (hopefully) focus more on characters that actually matter in story.

I enjoyed this shot from manga more than entire arc in anime honestly. Don't eat me. I really like this shot.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:22 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: I enjoyed this shot from manga more than entire arc in anime honestly. Don't eat me. I really like this shot.
Kefla , kale and cauliflower design looks 10times better in the manga .
I just rewatched those episodes and .... just the final kefla-goku is worthed , the previous kale cauliflower etc is so bad for my taste in terms of narrative and art .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:50 pm

I'm going to bet that Gohan will hold off against Kefla until the fusion is over. I can see them defusing similar how Merged Zamasu did in the manga.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:03 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:As for now, ToP in manga is godlike compared to anime which was totally unbearable in every degree.

Good to see that Kale at last became character on her own, instead of being pretty much Broly with lipstick. Not even Broly ripoff. Just Broly.
Entire birth of Kefla was a lot better since they fused to save Kale from dying. Fusing before getting eliminated by Goku was so lazy, bad and predictable.

And god bless a fact that 3/4 of irrelevant fighters were already eliminated so manga can (hopefully) focus more on characters that actually matter in story.

I enjoyed this shot from manga more than entire arc in anime honestly. Don't eat me. I really like this shot.
You’re free to hate anime Kale but lol at her being Broly with lipstick in the anime and talking as if she didn’t become a character of her own in the anime. I don’t even like Kale period but lol. You must have stopped watching after episode 100 to come to the conclusion she’s just Broly with lipstick or Female Broly.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:28 pm

Zen Yabuki wrote: You’re free to hate anime Kale but lol at her being Broly with lipstick in the anime and talking as if she didn’t become a character of her own in the anime. I don’t even like Kale period but lol. You must have stopped watching after episode 100 to come to the conclusion she’s just Broly with lipstick or Female Broly.
Whatever character Kale had always got pushed to the background so they could do tacky Broly homages. It made it very transparent that she was only there to be Broly and not Kale.

The difference is with the manga, her rampage is done quickly, and plays into her character (re: it only happens because she wants to protect Caulifla, and then it was literally going to kill her until Caulifla intervened), whereas in the anime everything about her got paused so they could make references to the Broly movie action sequences.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:01 am

Zen Yabuki wrote:You must have stopped watching after episode 100 to come to the conclusion she’s just Broly with lipstick or Female Broly.
Exactly, manga Kale may be somewhat more appealing than her anime counterpart, but after that horrendous episode we could see more of her character and how she blended well with Caulifla especially on their fight with Goku.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:20 am

TKA wrote:
Zen Yabuki wrote: You’re free to hate anime Kale but lol at her being Broly with lipstick in the anime and talking as if she didn’t become a character of her own in the anime. I don’t even like Kale period but lol. You must have stopped watching after episode 100 to come to the conclusion she’s just Broly with lipstick or Female Broly.
Whatever character Kale had always got pushed to the background so they could do tacky Broly homages. It made it very transparent that she was only there to be Broly and not Kale.

The difference is with the manga, her rampage is done quickly, and plays into her character (re: it only happens because she wants to protect Caulifla, and then it was literally going to kill her until Caulifla intervened), whereas in the anime everything about her got paused so they could make references to the Broly movie action sequences.
Again sure if you stopped after episode 100. She really stopped being much of a homage after 100. Heck the time she was went back into the berserker form was to show that she’s managed to control it. I don’t see how her getting her own character took a backseat when the homages stopped pretty much after 100. What you said is true about manga Kale and she served her purpose there. But you’re wrong about the anime version.