"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Logania
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Logania » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:50 pm

lol, what is that ugly ass command throw that Goku has? Just a straight up "yeet!"

Digging the mini spirit bomb though I always like chargeable specials, landing them feels so good.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:27 pm

Vegeta looks rather bland here, especially that intro. Seriously, you couldn't do more with him?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:48 pm

Bullza wrote:You over rate the game, it's fun and easy to play and it's better than any previous DBZ game but compared to the main series like Tekken or Mortal Kombat it's very shallow.
So shallow that somehow it managed to become the most popular fighting game in a competitive tournament (surpassing Tekken and other legacy frachises, and with Mortal Kombat nowhere to be seen)?

The game is clearly not shallow (by itself and compared to its peers), otherwise it wouldn't hold the attention of the fighting game community.
Last edited by Neo-Makaiōshin on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:43 pm

I actually like what they've done with Base Goku. He seems like a lot of fun. Honestly, they could've even added the Nyoibou and it'd be an extra thing to make him even more different.

Base Vegeta seems like more of the same, though.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:34 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:So shallow that somehow it managed to become the most popular fighting game in a competitive tournament (surpassing Tekken and other legacy frachises, and with Mortal Kombat nowhere to be seen)?

The game is clearly not shallow (by itself and compared to its peers), otherwise it wouldn't hold the attention of the fighting game community.
It can be shallow in comparison and still be a popular game, it's fun, fast paced and exciting and happens to be based on a huge property so it's going to be successful. It's sold more than Street Fighter V already.

I'm not as familiar with Mortal Kombat but it is very shallow compared to Tekken, they're world's apart but that doesn't mean it has to be the most popular.

You can see the difference just from watching the pros play the game.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:27 pm

Did you guys see the preview trailers for them? They look fricken awesome! Both of Em!

Vegeta looks a bit more bland than Goku but remember.. people thought Ultimate Gohan was gonna be boring and he’s commonly considered “Top Tier”.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:32 pm

mute_proxy wrote:Trailers for the new DLC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He54CMx6MeY
Excuse the double post.. can’t edit from my phone.. point still stands though even though I’m Hella late :lol: .. they look pretty cool to play if you ask me.. I still don’t understand the complaining.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:42 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:Did you guys see the preview trailers for them? They look fricken awesome! Both of Em!

Vegeta looks a bit more bland than Goku but remember.. people thought Ultimate Gohan was gonna be boring and he’s commonly considered “Top Tier”.
Visual Appeal ≠ Tier Ranking

He could very well be top tier, but it doesn't matter if he's absolutely boring to look at and play which right now is his problem for a lot of people (me included)

Kind of bad how the only thing that excited me about him was Destructo Disc, which ain't even his move lol
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:57 pm

Logania wrote:Kind of bad how the only thing that excited me about him was Destructo Disc, which ain't even his move lol
He used it(at least a version of it) to cut the tail of Oozaru Gohan.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:04 pm

LightBing wrote:
Logania wrote:Kind of bad how the only thing that excited me about him was Destructo Disc, which ain't even his move lol
He used it(at least a version of it) to cut the tail of Oozaru Gohan.
I know he used it on Oozaru Gohan, like Goku used it against Super Buu, I mean it's just not his actual move being used for his projectile. I honestly thought it was gonna be Dirty Fireworks (auto combo) or the finishing blast he used on Jeice as his 236S, not the Destructo Disc.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:47 pm

Logania wrote:
goku the krump dancer wrote:Did you guys see the preview trailers for them? They look fricken awesome! Both of Em!

Visual Appeal ≠ Tier Ranking

He could very well be top tier, but it doesn't matter if he's absolutely boring to look at and play which right now is his problem for a lot of people (me included)
I wouldnt say it doesnt matter completely because.. Bardock isn't all that exciting to watch.. especially in Mirrors but people love him cuz he's "good". That can be said about a bunch of characters in many fighting games though.. So and So character might not be all that appealing at all but players use them because they want to win money.. Granted that shouldn't have anything to do with a characters inclusion in the games but I still like what I see with these two so it doesn't bother me at all.. I hate watching Jack in Tekken 7 but I dont "not want him in the Game" either, he's part of the franchise so it is what it is.. Same with Base Goku and Vegeta at least.

People are clamoring for "Aahhh different characters" but going off of PURE Aesthetics ( Visual Appeal ) as you said.. how much more fun to watch would say Dr. Gero and Caulifla be as apposed to Gogeta (NOO another Goku) or the Base forms that we're getting? Granted yes they could be Hella fun to watch but for Gero outside of energy absorption and Eye lasers, what else does he have? Same with Caulifla, random high speed physical attacks with SSJ probably being a level 3 if it isnt her default form and angry high powered blast at the end (Bardock).
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:01 am

What is it with them mixing up the character themes in this game? First they played the Zamasu music for Broly's trailer, now it looks like they played Base Goku music for Vegetto.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:37 am

Simere wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:The trailers always use full names, there is no (Black Hair) in them.
I'm very well aware of what everything says.

That people keep propping up the "black hair" thing as some isolated, arbitrary, source-less "meme" (?) needs to be addressed, and so I did just that.
I called it a meme(!) because I've increasingly seen people mockingly refer to them that way, and I know from following them that they're neck deep in memes, so I thought they'd seen it too. Plus the context of the rest of the tweet also being a joke.
https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/statu ... 3476345856

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:02 am

Logania wrote:Visual Appeal ≠ Tier Ranking

Dude, listen to yourself and the arguments you're making here: you're literally advocating for visual appeal over substantive gameplay depth. Style over substance. You literally just now said basically "Who cares about how these characters actually play? All that matters is how cool they look." The superficiality and shallowness of your entire points here are self-evident without even needing further comment.

No wonder the Budokai/Sparking games are as beloved among this fanbase as they are.
Bullza wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:So shallow that somehow it managed to become the most popular fighting game in a competitive tournament (surpassing Tekken and other legacy frachises, and with Mortal Kombat nowhere to be seen)?

It can be shallow in comparison and still be a popular game, it's fun, fast paced and exciting and happens to be based on a huge property so it's going to be successful. It's sold more than Street Fighter V already.

I'm not as familiar with Mortal Kombat but it is very shallow compared to Tekken, they're world's apart but that doesn't mean it has to be the most popular.

You can see the difference just from watching the pros play the game.
You not only missed Makaioshin's point, you even contradicted yourself at the end there: Makaioshin's point was that the game has garnered the most popularity among pro fighting game players. As in, the very sorts of people who mainly judge fighting games based overwhelmingly on gameplay and mechanical depth, not by shallow superficiality and "kewl" factor. The very sorts of pros who you just referenced when comparing how they play games like Tekken and MK to demonstrate the disparity in depth between those games.

Take a hint from everyone who's responded to you in this thread: you factually and objectively do not know what you're talking about on this subject. Whatsoever.

Even Tekken itself is hardly the single deepest fighting game out there: from a pure gameplay/fighting mechanics standpoint, Tekken has from its very beginnings up through even its more recent incarnations always been a watered down "diet" version of the Virtua Fighter series: VF's degree of dense intricacy in each individual character within its roster puts even the most polished Tekken entry utterly to shame.

Whereas Tekken's fighting system has always been greatly reliant on canned dial combos and elaborate air juggles (the same exact two gameplay mechanics that MK has always been routinely shat on by Tekken fans for relying on, incidentally), Virtua Fighter makes use of a far more infinitely fleshed out and hyper-individualized directional-based moveset for each character that aims to realistically simulate real world fighting styles to almost sim-like degrees, including through the use of incredibly polished and tight in-game physics that intractably relate to each character's playstyle and attack strategies in a dizzying number of ways.

Tekken also makes use of very similar concepts as this as well (as it began life as a blatant VF clone), but DRASTICALLY scales them back and, there's no nicer way of saying this, tremendously dumbs them down and simplifies them for more casual players in terms of their general scope for each character, as well as in terms of how important a role they play in general fighting strategy. To compensate somewhat for this, Tekken supplements its more neutered character movesets with vaguely (I emphasize vaguely, since we're talking application to 3D gameplay instead of 2D) MK and Killer Instinct-esque dial combos and air juggles.

Unlike many others in the FGC, I personally have nothing at all against dial combos and juggles myself, provided they're used well in the game's overall fighting mechanics: as they are generally throughout Tekken and in the better MK games. Hence I like both Tekken and MK just fine as fighting game series and don't hold these gameplay mechanics against them pejoratively.

But however well used these gameplay mechanics are throughout Tekken, they unquestionably contribute (among various other numerous factors) to making Tekken objectively and demonstrably a less deep and more simplified fighting series than its inspiration VF; as good and consistently solid a franchise as Tekken certainly is (and I say that having very recently just replayed the whole damn Tekken series from front to back: 1 through 7 and both Tag games), it doesn't even REMOTELY represent the uppermost crust of what the fighting game genre is capable of in terms of absolute character individuality and overall mechanical depth and complexity compared to games like Virtua Fighter on the 3D end, and for something like MK over on the 2D end, King of Fighters and the like.

I bring all this up only because you keep harping away throughout this thread on Tekken as if its some exemplary bastion of what is possible for fighting game mechanical depth and complexity... when Tekken itself (and I say this, once again, as someone who genuinely likes the Tekken series just fine) has always and remains still basically a somewhat dumbed down ripoff of another series entirely.

And end of the day: its INDESCRIBABLY pointless and stupid to compare a game like FighterZ with a game like Tekken anyway. FighterZ is a classic 2D fighter whereas Tekken is a full 3D fighting game: FighterZ is pulling its gameplay concepts mainly from Marvel vs Capcom whereas Tekken, as noted, pulls its gameplay largely from Virtua Fighter: MvC-style gameplay and VF-style gameplay could not possibly be more dissimilar from one another on a fundamental level. Super combos vs (more or less) reality-based physics, one frame links vs flowing directional-based command attacks, cross ups vs side stepping.... you're not even comparing apples and oranges here: you're comparing apples and socket wrenches. That's how far apart and disconnected these two schools of playstyles are from one another.

Like several people now have been TRYING to tell you throughout this whole damn thread: games like MvC and FighterZ may have similar controller motions for each character: but the resulting move and how its applied in a fight from one situation to the next CANNOT be more miles apart and unique from one another. You earlier compared Goku to #16, stating that there's fewer gameplay differences between them than between Tekken characters Jin and Jack. Setting aside the utter ludicrous nonsense inherent to the comparison in itself (since like I said, the two styles of play cannot possibly be less related to one another), the ONLY things that Goku and #16 have in common on a BASIC fucking level are the fact that their specials are executed with quarter circle motions like most of the other characters. The moves that actually RESULT from those motions are MILES apart from one another in terms of their applications in a fight.

I KNOW that you know this, assuming you've played the game as much as you've said you have: there's no possible way you CAN'T know this, so I am utterly at a loss as to how it is that the fairly straightforward and simple concept of "same controller motion = totally different moves that are used totally differently in totally different styles of play strategy" can possibly be so lost on you, and how it is you can't see the (and this cannot be overstated) COLOSSAL fucking difference it makes in terms of individualizing how each character plays from one another.

You seem to be making the (ridiculously dense) argument that "special move input similarities = similar gameplay style". That cannot in anyway possibly be more ON ITS FACE obviously and objectively wrong; like saying 2 + 2 = 5. The resulting moves FROM the inputs, as well as moreover the strategic applications for using them, are (just one part of) what ultimately gives FighterZ its depth. Same as any other 2D fighting game. That's not to say I'm AGAINST a more varied assortment of input commands for each character: the more individualized they are, the better, and I agree that having them all share similar quarter circle motions homogenizes them SOMEWHAT. Somewhat.

BUT... what you're doing throughout this thread is taking this to a STUPIDLY silly and ridiculous extreme: where you're painting it as if there's VERY MINIMAL depth of diversity to these characters predicated ENTIRELY on the input motions used and TOTALLY ignoring something as blindingly obvious as application and even basic strategic use. Conversely you're using another franchise (Tekken) that's not only coming from a TOTALLY disparate, dissimilar, and wholly unrelated style and school of fighting gameplay design from FighterZ ENTIRELY... but also one that IN AND OF ITSELF is a VASTLY simplified and dummied down copying of another deeper, richer fighting game franchise altogether.

Even with the quarter circle motions, Goku and #16 don't even play VAGUELY alike. Like.... this shouldn't even need to be stated aloud, as its about as obvious to anyone who's played FighterZ as the wetness of water. Between his basic Ki blast volley, his Kamehameha, and his dashing specials, Goku is unquestionably a distance-based, zoning fighter.... whereas #16 is this game's up close and personal grappler, with even his Hell's Flash Ki attack acting as a close quarters follow up to his various throws and body slams. And that's just for starters. I can fill a fucking encyclopedia pointing out the numerous, numerous ways in which these characters are wonderfully individualized and distinct, as well as the unbelievable amounts of skill it takes to play this game well.

I've been a hardcore fighting gamer since OG Street Fighter II in arcades in 1991, and the genre's been my bread and butter go-to consistently for the past nearly 30 years now: since my elementary school years I've been mainlining, without interruption, a steady diet of games and series like Super SFII Turbo, KoF, Virtua Fighter, Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury, Last Blade, SF Alpha, SFIII, MvC, CvS, Darkstalkers, Rival Schools, Bloody Roar, Guilty Gear, Soul Edge/Calibur, DoA, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Killer Instinct and so on, having followed all of them from all of their respective first entries and playing most of them at reasonably/decently high level (to one degree or another) across the ensuing years.

I've memorized and absorbed entire strategy guides for various games cover to cover, arcades used to be a weekly ritual for me for literal decades (indeed, arcades are where I got my start as a gamer: not on consoles or PC), I've competed in numerous local tournaments in my area, would spend ungodly hours dicking around in all manner of various games with combos, tinkering with play strategies on my own time, etc. I'm not trying to fellate myself here: just highlighting the fact that fighting games have been an intrinsic part of my gaming DNA for literally close to my entire lifetime now.

And FighterZ has consistently tested my abilities to master its roster like few games have before it in recent years. Even when I'm just a couple weeks away from my last having touched it, I find it takes a LOT of practice to work my way back to my previous ability in this game: it takes legit DEDICATION to master this game properly. Which is the BEST possible thing I can ask from a fighting game. There's a DAMN good reason that this game has dominated the attention of top pro fighting game players at Evo and other major tourney events: its among the most excitingly fresh and strategically rewarding fighting games currently available, bar none. And considering the revitalized renaissance of great, dense fighting games that we've been currently eyeball-deep in for the past few years now, that's saying a LOT.

Based on what you've described about your experience playing this game, I can indeed concur with the others in this thread: your playstyle sounds insanely rudimentary and the people you're fighting against sound like they too are largely beginners (perhaps moderates at best). Just because you've played a lot of matches and won many of them against similarly unskilled players, does NOT in any way mean that you've been playing this thing at anything remotely approaching "high level", nor does it mean you've come anywhere close to scratching an inch past the surface of the ridiculously numerous unique playstyle possibilities and strategic options each character gives you.

I've played (and gotten my skull caved in by) genuinely high level, expert players in this almost nonstop since I got it: this game's pushed and tested my wits, reflexes, brains, and nerves to the nth degree. Tekken 7 is a fantastic fucking game, and outside of Tag 2 its easily the best Tekken game in many years: but most Tekken 7 matches are nowhere NEAR as nail-biting and intense as some of the matches I've had in FighterZ. There's no contest here.

The recurring theme among most of the naysayers in this particular thread (as in other DB-centric corners online) has remained consistently one of stubborn ignorance and genuine lack of interest or understanding as to how fighting games work on a fundamental, basic-most level. Gameplay doesn't matter: only superficial visual elements carry the day.

Again, this speaks volumes as to why similarly shallow games like the Budokai series are as revered in these kinds of corners of fandom: they're games that were totally unconcerned with actual fighting mechanics and gameplay substance, and instead were overloaded with a completely faux sense of "diversity" that doesn't extend anywhere at all past a surface-most level. I.E. A bazillion different character skins that all play more or less identically (with incredibly little variation between them) and an emphasis on cutscene-heavy story modes and countless half-baked minigames and alternate modes... literally everything BUT the actual core fighting game.

As if FIghterZ is somehow DEVOID of surface-level visual flash to begin with! This is one of the most graphically gorgeous, lush looking games of the current gen, with visuals that even give some of the anime's best animation a run for its money at times. But that doesn't matter, and the reason it doesn't matter is because no mater how flashy the game looks graphically, the game doesn't throw any bones or present any carrots dangling at the end of a rope for those who don't really give two shits about learning and mastering a deep fighting system: there's no endless assortment of minigames, no quest modes, no pandering "fanservice" or attempts to cram in every possible character that's ever thrown a single punch or spoken a line of dialogue in all 40+ volumes and 500+ episodes of Dragon Ball, actual gameplay depth, balance, and diversity be damned.

Instead, other than a throwaway nothing of a story mode (which quite honestly, no one should give two shits about anyway), FighterZ presents itself as nothing more or less than a meat and potatoes "serious" fighting game tailored for competitive play. Something which Dragon Ball has VERY rarely EVER had, and certainly not in quite a long, long, long time now.

As if we've somehow been lacking for the past nearly 20 years now for shallow, surface-level, panderingly fanservicey Dragon Ball games by the truckloads. As if there isn't one of those RIGHT NOW on the market ALONGSIDE FighterZ (that being Xenoverse). God forbid the Dragon Ball game license EVER spend two seconds NOT pandering constantly and exclusively to the Budokai/Tenkaichi audience who just want loads and loads of characters and story modes and don't care one way or the other about how the thing actually plays.

Is all this to say that FIghterZ is somehow the single deepest, most mechanically rich fighting game ever made? Or close to it? Of course not. But its damn sure among the most fresh and promising among the current crop, with endless room to improve tremendously even further down the line in future updates and sequels. As it stands now though, its still easily the single best Dragon Ball game ever made hands down, and definitely a heavy contender for the best fighting game among the most current on the market right now.

I'll finish this off on the actual DLC characters themselves: they both look fantastic. Particularly Goku, who both from the looks of the trailer footage and the description of his moveset, appears to play so UTTERLY fucking galaxies apart from his other two incarnations its ludicrous. Multiple varying Kaioken strings and slow charging Genkidamas? Yeah, clearly sounds IDENTICAL and in NO way a whole other fucking ballgame entirely from SSJ Goku with all his basic zoning strategies and MvC-style basic Shinku Hadoken-like supers, or SSB Goku with his teleportation maneuvers, angled Kamehamehas, and One Inch Punch holds. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

But no, that kind of substantive gameplay distinction doesn't matter at all: he has vaguely the same character model as others in the roster, ergo he's exactly the fucking same and thus this game is somehow a letdown and a ripoff. Never mind how comparatively seldom of this kind of shade was thrown at the Budokai or Tenkaichi/Sparking games, which are lauded for including what effectively amounts to 150 different character SKINS for, when you boil it all down into cold hard gameplay reality, what you can effectively collapse into maybe, at best, 5 or 6 different character types with true variations in playstyle?

Also as for Base Vegeta: no one's commented yet on how one of the character breakdowns posted earlier mentioned that his Galaxy Breaker super (which yes, contrary to what someone else in this thread said, HAS been featured in another DBZ game: the Sega Saturn version of DBZ Legends) has a barrier around him that actually vacuums the opponent into the upwards beam if they get too close: sounds pretty fucking lethal.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:55 am

Kunzait my Brotha! Thank You! you've literally said everything myself and many others could have but better.. and even touched on some things we missed (Probably due to being constantly blasted with confusing arguments from folks who clearly don't understand fighting games.)

Hopefully this ends this type of "debate" until the final characters are revealed but then since we already know them, I hope/highly doubt people are expecting #17 and Cooler to play anything like they're respective siblings.

Speaking of these guy's level 3.. Id imagine Vegeta's be very damgerous for folks getting caught in it with assists being out.. Talk about a Happy Birthday.

Also Base Goku officially has the strongest lvl3 in the game when fully charged.. If someone could win Evo with a fully charged Spirit Bomb i'd probably shit myself.. That'll be a history making moment right there.

PS.. Props for mentioning Bloody Roar.. Some where in the back of my mind I'm still expecting an new game :cry: .
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:51 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: I wouldnt say it doesnt matter completely because.. Bardock isn't all that exciting to watch.. especially in Mirrors but people love him cuz he's "good". That can be said about a bunch of characters in many fighting games though.. So and So character might not be all that appealing at all but players use them because they want to win money.. Granted that shouldn't have anything to do with a characters inclusion in the games but I still like what I see with these two so it doesn't bother me at all.. I hate watching Jack in Tekken 7 but I dont "not want him in the Game" either, he's part of the franchise so it is what it is.. Same with Base Goku and Vegeta at least.
Of course, there's always going to be people who use characters based on tiers and who the best is, and if they're playing for money then they'd better go with the characters that will get them the victory. And of course what appeals to a person for a character differs greatly from person to person which is why if someone sees something in a character I don't, I'm not gonna try to argue.

I also don't mind them being in the game, I've said in a post a bit back that if they're fun, cool, I'm probably gonna even try rocking team Goku. My only issue with them personally is I think they came too early. With the roster being so small as it is for a 3v3 game, we could've wait a bit before having a 3rd Goku and Vegeta.

I guess I worded my earlier reply a bit weird, my bad. I read,
Vegeta looks a bit more bland than Goku but remember.. thought Ultimate Gohan was gonna be boring and he’s commonly considered “Top Tier”.
and read it as you saying since he's top tier, somehow the character's looks changed. It actually kind of sounds silly when writing it over like this lol sorry

I'm sure Vegeta is gonna be high tier, being the only character that can command grab special after a sliding knockdown, but maaaan...I just don't wanna try him because he just looks so drab from the trailer and pics we have lol
Kunzait_83 wrote:Dude, listen to yourself and the arguments you're making here: you're literally advocating for visual appeal over substantive gameplay depth. Style over substance. You literally just now said basically "Who cares about how these characters actually play? All that matters is how cool they look." The superficiality and shallowness of your entire points here are self-evident without even needing further comment.
Ease up on the attitude, man. I kind of worded my reply wrong, no need to act all hostile. It looked how he wrote his message to me that how Gohan is on the tier list impacted how the character is with how he looks (specials, normals, etc.)

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:53 am

goku the krump dancer wrote:Speaking of these guy's level 3.. Id imagine Vegeta's be very damgerous for folks getting caught in it with assists being out.. Talk about a Happy Birthday.
Oh shit! I didn't even think about it impacting assists! Holy fuuuuuuck, that move's gonna burst quite a few people's blood vessels. :lol: :lol:
goku the krump dancer wrote:PS.. Props for mentioning Bloody Roar.. Some where in the back of my mind I'm still expecting an new game :cry: .
Only so long as we get to pretend like 4 and Primal Fury never happened. If Bloody Roar ever does come back, the series needs to be taken back to its roots via the first two or three games.

Deeper cuts I left off my little rundown there: Art of Fighting, World Heroes, Eternal Champions, Power Instinct/Matrimelee/Groove On Fight, Cyberbots, Red Earth/Warzard, Capcom's JoJo fighting game, Martial Masters, ArcSys' Fist of the North Star, SF EX/Fighting Layer, Bushido Blade, Fighting Vipers, Last Bronx, Tobal, Rumble Fish, Galaxy Fight, Fighters' Impact, Fighter's History, Star Gladiator/Plasma Sword, Primal Rage, Aggressors of Dark Kombat, Kaiser Knuckle, Breakers Revenge, Asura Blade, Rabbit, Fighters Megamix, Far East of Eden (Neo Geo), Astra Superstars, Waku Waku 7, Osu!! Karate Bu, TMNT Tournament Fighters (SNES), Gundam Wing: Endless Duel (horrible anime, great fighting game), WeaponLord, Double Dragon (Neo Geo), Treasure's Yu Yu Hakusho, Cho Aniki: Bakuretsu Ranto Hen, Kensei: Sacred Fist, Ranma 1/2: Chogi Ranbu Hen, and both Fu'un games (Savage Reign and Kizuna Encounter), to name but a few.

Oh and of course the timeless classics that are Pit Fighter, Way of the Warrior, and Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game. :P
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:15 am

I actually don't know what's more stupid about this situation:

The fact that this DLC is a thing;
The fact that Xenoverse 2 gets Kefla while we get Base Goku/Vegeta;
The fact that isn't free and we have to pay for Base forms;
The fact that some people are okay with this;
Or the fact that the third version of Goku/Vegeta will come out before the next pack, which will actually feature new characters.

Probably all of them. It's like this franchise doesn't have more characters or something... =)
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:56 pm

Since the new characters will be out soon, I need to go back to Story Mode and grind out more money to use to get all their colors and lobby avatars.

Since they still haven't changed the shop from random drops and Z-Coins, to where you can actually buy the stuff you want like every other fighting game...

DiamondX

Post by DiamondX » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:02 pm

Kataphrut wrote:What is it with them mixing up the character themes in this game? First they played the Zamasu music for Broly's trailer, now it looks like they played Base Goku music for Vegetto.
It's some kind of Easter Egg.
It gives you a hint of who to expect next. (As Zamasu's these is a remix of Black's and all Gokus shate the same theme)

They didn't do it this time however.