How do you feel about Freeza being an ally?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Re: How do you feel about Freeza being an ally?

Post by Kanious » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:14 pm

i'm OK with it. The U7 has only 28 planets. He will be unable to build a real empire, and he is unable to win against Goku and the others.

I'm OK with him being an ally, but I don't want to see him becoming good. I want to see him fighting alongside Goku and Vegeta, but torturing the enemies and doing reckless things.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:30 pm

I feel like Freeza only helps out if he has no choice. To me, he is still a bad guy.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:21 pm

Ally? No. Freeza posing as a scheming co-belligerent who is interested in his own survival, however, would make sense for his characterisation at this point. If his senses truly have become sharper then he'll realise the folly of continually pursuing Goku's group and keep them, plus Earth, on a hands-off exemption list. Don't let your stupidity get the better of you. It's just one tiny backwater planet in an ocean of celestial spheres that are all ripe for the plucking. If he can keep the Saiyans at arm's length while giving them no reason to suspect him any more than they already do then he should be alright. Sure, the galactic king and his little patrol force might take issue, but what are they going to do without the force to back up their sentiments? It's not like the current deistic institutions give a heck about quelling the menace of the Freeza state anyway.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:47 pm

precita wrote:Given we see him fighting Broly in the trailer, there's a possibility he may team up with Goku/Vegeta again. How do you feel about this?

At least in the TOP, Freeza was still using U7 for his own selfish desires (coming back to life, he wanted to get the Super Dragon Balls), so I was able to swallow it. However now that Freeza is back, seeing him team up with Goku/Vegeta again, even to take out a strong enemy, is getting hard to swallow.

I hate the idea of Freeza transitioning to being an ally, I know he'll never become "good" as a good guy, but the more he teams up with Goku/Vegeta, the less of a villain he'll feel like. Personally I hate the idea, and I kinda hoped Freeza would be left on his own to the future when he tries to take over the Gods in a later arc.
The fact that Freeza is fighting Broly doesn't mean he's become a good guy. My guess is that Freeza recruits Broly and Peragus, they turn against him and take over Freeza's army, then Freeza asks Goku and Vegeta to deal with them.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:21 pm

I think Freeza playing the role of an anti-villain (ala Mr Freeze) would fit him perfectly.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:08 pm

I don't think he'll ever be a true ally/Z-Warrior, nor he'll try again to revenge himself. First because I think he has calmed down in this regard, second because a fourth revenge plot would be completely uninteresting.
He'll stay neutral towards the Z-Warrior. He won't attack them, and he will perhaps help them if he seems it useful for himself. He won't stop his evil ways, and he will do thing that benefit him at the cost of the Z-Warrior. But he won't harm them directly.
Think of a mix of Frieza/Cell saga Vegeta and Beerus.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:41 pm

How do I feel?

I feel as though I hope Frieza gets killed very early in the film, setting the stage for Broly's strength

Shaqazooloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shaqazooloo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:44 am

Love it! Have him replace Vegeta lol

[spoiler]It'd be something new, at least until they run it into the ground.[/spoiler]
Favorite Dragon Ball Characters
1. Waluigi
2. Whis
3. Evil Buu

Dislikes: Playing by the rules

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:48 am

It's fine as long as he's a reluctant ally and has his own evil plans on the side. The moment he turns into a good guy completely is the moment the series jumps the shark (for the nth time).

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:32 pm

Doctor. wrote:It's fine as long as he's a reluctant ally and has his own evil plans on the side. The moment he turns into a good guy completely is the moment the series jumps the shark (for the nth time).
I have to agree, but what are the other times the series jumped the shark?
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:34 pm

Bergamo wrote:
Doctor. wrote:It's fine as long as he's a reluctant ally and has his own evil plans on the side. The moment he turns into a good guy completely is the moment the series jumps the shark (for the nth time).
The moment some OC donutsteel came from the future.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:40 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
The moment aliens appeared.
Maybe it's because I grew up with Z, but aliens never seemed weird to be. Frieza being a good guy on the other hand seems incredibly stupid.

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:42 am

Bergamo wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Bergamo wrote: I have to agree, but what are the other times the series jumped the shark?
The moment aliens appeared.
Maybe it's because I grew up with Z, but aliens never seemed weird to be. Frieza being a good guy on the other hand seems incredibly stupid.
I also doubt that we could have gotten something as good as the Namek arc if aliens didn't show up.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:06 pm

GigaDrill wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
Doctor. wrote: The moment aliens appeared.
I also doubt that we could have gotten something as good as the Namek arc if aliens didn't show up.
That's why I edited my post.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:56 pm

It's by far the most amusing and genuinely intriguing part of current Dragon Ball for me. I'm all for it.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:17 pm

Logania wrote:I can't take Freeza seriously as a potential enemy force due to how much disrespect that man has been given since his defeat on Namek, so I dont want him having some ulterior motive of working with them for his evil scheme or any of that crap.
I don't think he's received that much disrespect in canon material. Fillers, theatricals and GT are another story altogether of course, but there's a reason why they don't count.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:34 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
Trunks is like a bad OC, but only if you hate original designs. He's the first Saiyan to have a hair color other than black, and he actually takes fights seriously.

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:30 pm

Bergamo wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Bergamo wrote: I have to agree, but what are the other times the series jumped the shark?
Trunks is like a bad OC, but only if you hate original designs. He's the first Saiyan to have a hair color other than black, and he actually takes fights seriously.
I think he's referring to the Android Saga in general, since it was pretty contrived and the following Buu saga went too far on emphasizing ever more ridiculous transformations and power ups. The arrival of Trunks would make a good "jumping the shark moment" if you're too bothered by the negative aspects of the Android saga and beyond.
And I'm pretty sure we've all seen what Doc has to say about Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:05 pm

Bergamo wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
I like Trunks, but he's designed to purposefully look and be cool to the point it almost comes across as trying too hard. Jacket, sword, comes from the future to save the world, he's the son of one of the main characters and a product of an unlikely ship, has access to a unique transformation only known to the main character beforehand and he defeats the previous main villain without breaking a sweat. In any other story, he'd be seen as a deviantart self-insert Mary Sue. Luckily enough, Toriyama doesn't make him an edgelord and he's actually a lovable nerd who screws up a lot but tries his best, which is what gives him his charm, but his introduction signals the point where Dragon Ball goes downhill from the Freeza arc (as much as I like the Boo arc).

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:15 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
Doctor. wrote: The moment some OC donutsteel came from the future.
I like Trunks, but he's designed to purposefully look and be cool to the point it almost comes across as trying too hard. Jacket, sword, comes from the future to save the world, he's the son of one of the main characters and a product of an unlikely ship, has access to a unique transformation only known to the main character beforehand and he defeats the previous main villain without breaking a sweat. In any other story, he'd be seen as a deviantart self-insert Mary Sue. Luckily enough, Toriyama doesn't make him an edgelord and he's actually a lovable nerd who screws up a lot but tries his best, which is what gives him his charm, but his introduction signals the point where Dragon Ball goes downhill from the Freeza arc (as much as I like the Boo arc).
I guess I can see where you are coming from, but "jump the shark" usually describes the point at which a series becomes irredeemably bad, and Dragon Ball has yet to hit the point of no return.