Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:13 pm

All but the last are unpopular! That's a pretty cute pic of Chichi!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:20 pm

Long-haired Chi-Chi is best Chi-Chi.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:04 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:ChiChi is better character than Bulma
ChiChi is hotter than Bulma (except for maybe GT and Super where i can see Bulma being slightly hotter)

And this has to be best ChiChi's appearance ever:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I can we're gonna getting along very well. :)
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:19 pm

I don’t think Kale is really any better than Broly.

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Omniboy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:29 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I don’t think Kale is really any better than Broly.

I agree. Honestly for all the crap that "Second Coming" Broly gets for being annoying, she goes beyond that for me.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:42 pm

Some quick-fire ones:

Ginyu swapping bodies with Goku is the most tiresome part of the original anime run to get through.
Kale is not even remotely compelling as a character.
Caulifla is the only good thing to come out of the Tournament Of Power, if we go by the anime.
... And the stupid-ass "back tingle" scene comes close to ruining that, and turning that whole affair into the worst thing to come out of the ToP.

And some more in-depth ones:

Vegeta in Super should be a much more humble man, given his entire character arc from the Cell games up through to the end of the Boo arc.
This is one of many, many things GT did much better than Super in terms of how it handled the characterisation and continued things set up in DB & Z, which Super has completely failed to consider, for the sake of making things appear to be more like they were in Z.
One of the big points made with Vegeta's character arc in the Boo and Cell arcs was that his mindless "MUST. BEAT. KAKARROT. NOTHING. ELSE. MATTERS." attitude was massively self-destructive, and heavily detrimental to his family too. Him realising this, putting his pride aside for a moment, being willing to just distract Boo for a bit while Goku gets a second or two of rest, and making the wishes on the Namekian Dragon Balls were key parts of the victory in the Boo arc. In fact, he did a similar thing in the Cell arc when he fired that last blast at Cell to throw him off-balance enough for Gohan to finish him off. Disregarding this, and having Vegeta's character moments generally centre around him take his own wins by his own power is one of Super's biggest fundamental flaws.
And yes, that is me advocating "Kill-stealing" from Vegeta. It's a central pillar of why he developed the way he did across the Cell and Boo arcs, and taking that away has heavily flanderised him in Super.

The Namek/Freeza arc is the weakest point of the entire original 11-year TV run.
The problem with the Namek/Freeza arc in the original anime is that it slows to an absolute goddamn crawl around when the Ginyus show up, and things don't get better until Garlic Jr. and the various short filler arcs around the start of the Cell arc gave Toei more breathing room. GT was free to move at whatever pace worked best for its story, so it ends up leaving Freeza in the dust. As much as the Freeza story is very engaging, it very quickly becomes an exercise in stretching for time, and gets dangerously close to unwatchable many times, as there's only so many things you can do to pad out Piccolo fighting Freeza and everyone looking on as they wait for Goku to heal.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:26 am

Ripper 30 wrote:Sabat has to always force his voice when he does vegeta and as you said about Bulma its pretty accurate. that's why the new voices from Kai onwards like that of Freeza, Beerus, Whis, Hit and Vados have been accurate.
Yeah, from what I've seen of the Super dub, he does sometimes feel kinda forced as Vegeta. He's a much better actor when he's not altering his voice. Just acting naturally made his Zoro, All Might, Kai Piccolo and Armstrong sound great. Doing a goofy voice for Kuwabara, on the other hand, not so much. Just ugh. And I came across a clip of the Attack on Titan Season 2 dub where he played a moustached guy. He sounded more like a caricature than a character. And when it comes to Yamcha, he just overplays the loser aspect of the character.
Forte224 wrote:I think his Kai 1.0 performance was just fine for Vegeta. TFC and RoF were good too, I'm not sure why he altered things so much for Super
I'll agree that he was fine, but I still think someone could have done a better job.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:00 am

Robo4900 wrote:Vegeta in Super should be a much more humble man, given his entire character arc from the Cell games up through to the end of the Boo arc.
This is one of many, many things GT did much better than Super in terms of how it handled the characterisation and continued things set up in DB & Z, which Super has completely failed to consider, for the sake of making things appear to be more like they were in Z.
One of the big points made with Vegeta's character arc in the Boo and Cell arcs was that his mindless "MUST. BEAT. KAKARROT. NOTHING. ELSE. MATTERS." attitude was massively self-destructive, and heavily detrimental to his family too. Him realising this, putting his pride aside for a moment, being willing to just distract Boo for a bit while Goku gets a second or two of rest, and making the wishes on the Namekian Dragon Balls were key parts of the victory in the Boo arc. In fact, he did a similar thing in the Cell arc when he fired that last blast at Cell to throw him off-balance enough for Gohan to finish him off. Disregarding this, and having Vegeta's character moments generally centre around him take his own wins by his own power is one of Super's biggest fundamental flaws.
And yes, that is me advocating "Kill-stealing" from Vegeta. It's a central pillar of why he developed the way he did across the Cell and Boo arcs, and taking that away has heavily flanderised him in Super.
I agree with this. I enjoy Super for what it is, but Vegeta's characterization has been regressed for the sake of appeasing old Z fans. It sometimes feel like they are just doing it as an apology for GT because that show got a lot of hate at the time. I do think what GT did with Vegeta being a logical character progression and a strong point for that series. Guess it just shows GT was hated because of wasted potential and bad executon rather than inherently bad ideas.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:05 am

—DBGT is my favorite DragonBall(although I know it’s objectively not the best)
-I think Friezer is the most overrated Villian
-I think DragonBall Z is bit overrated
-Super Saiyan 3 is the most useless Form
-TOP is one of the most boring Arcs in DB
-I like Vegetas moustache in DBGT
-I like the Ribrianne&the para para Brothers
GT Fighter

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:49 am

GT_Goten10 wrote:—-I think Friezer is the most overrated Villian
Yes. There isn't anything interesting in particular with that character. I really don't know what's all this fuss about him, if anything, he became even more boring due to his constant appearances these days, though handled well in Universe Survival saga, his character as a whole is way overused.
GT_Goten10 wrote:-I think DragonBall Z is bit overrated
Agreed. All because of fights, which is a shame.
GT_Goten10 wrote:-Super Saiyan 3 is the most useless Form
What has that form accomplished besides being ugly anyway? As I always say: all those transformations after Super Saiyan 2 shouldn't have been created.
GT_Goten10 wrote:-TOP is one of the most boring Arcs in DB
Not counting the Super Saiyan 2 scenes it had, it is indeed. Along with each and every other tournament. Damn if at least some of them were more elaborated and not just fights.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:07 am

Grimlock wrote:
Yes. There isn't anything interesting in particular with that character. I really don't know what's all this fuss about him, if anything, he became even more boring due to his constant appearances these days, though handled well in Universe Survival saga, his character as a whole is way overused.
He is still a good villain to me, but he is overused for sure. A lot.
Frieza should've died on Namek or on Earth killed by Trunks. No filler returns, movies, GT and DBS. They all killed this character.

Broly is what i call really overrated villain with his fans thinking he is the strongest villain, being able to beat top-tier GT and Super characters like Omega Shenron or Beerus.
And i'm not even talking about forms he gets in games like SSJ4 or God.
I'm talking about LSSJ Broly from movies :|
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:11 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: I'm talking about LSSJ Broly from movies :|
And who's saying he cannot or better, could not? If you can scale up guys like Freeza you can do the same thing with Broly and his special form. You can bring back any person in fiction and make them match others. If they wanted they could write Pilaf getting something super special and then suddenly being a fighter. They can do whatever they want. And Broly, like Freeza at least has some sort of excuse from the beginning.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:19 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
He is still a good villain to me, but he is overused for sure. A lot.
Frieza should've died on Namek or on Earth killed by Trunks. No filler returns, movies, GT and DBS. They all killed this character.

Broly is what i call really overrated villain with his fans thinking he is the strongest villain, being able to beat top-tier GT and Super characters like Omega Shenron or Beerus.
And i'm not even talking about forms he gets in games like SSJ4 or God.
I'm talking about LSSJ Broly from movies :|

Broly&Jiren are definitely one of the worst I have ever seen
BTW:how can I answer individual sentences?(Smartphone)
GT Fighter

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:20 am

Toppo should have been immediately disqualified once he "made up his mind". It does not matter if he is not officially the Hakaishin of their universe at this point. He was able to do exactly the same things against his opponents and more importantly, he did (except for the erasure thing but its not like you could not forbid official Hakaishin to do that), the only thing that was left was an official promotion with Belmod's resignation. As if an official position would be the actual problem here.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:53 am

GT_Goten10 wrote: -I think DragonBall Z is bit overrated
-I like the Ribrianne
I definitely agreed with this.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:49 pm

GT_Goten10 wrote:-I think Friezer is the most overrated Villian
-I think DragonBall Z is bit overrated
-TOP is one of the most boring Arcs in DB
-I like Vegetas moustache in DBGT
-I like the Ribrianne&the para para Brothers
Agreed on all counts.

Though, I will note that Super Saiyan 3 being useless is kind of the point, and I think that's pretty much genius. Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan 2 had sort of brought things to a state of "gief more transfomratons that are cool!!", so we get the counter of Super Saiyan 3, which is more powerful, more overdesigned, and pushes things much further, but it's useless and stupid, and Goku is an idiot for using it. Notice that the only two people to use Super Saiyan 3 are Goku, when he's briefly using it as a last-ditch effort to beat Boo with no regard for the fact it may in fact kill him in the process, or when he's pretty much just using it to show off to Boo so he doesn't kill Trunks as he tries to get the radar, and Gotenks, who's a massive, idiotic egomaniac who absolutely would use something as useless and idiotic as Super Saiyan 3.
So, Super Saiyan 3 - genius in narrative terms, stupid in in-universe terms.

I think Vegeta's moustache is a bit stupid, but what actually gets done about it in the series is hilarious, and one of my favourite things to come out of GT.

As for Dragon Ball Z being overrated, I do agree... In fact, in quite a few ways, I think Z's arcs are all a bit of a step down from the prior arcs; the scope and scale of things expanded, but the show never really took full advantage of it, and actually in some ways reduced its scope by largely sidelining the humourous side of the show to the subplots and filler. This is one reason I give the Boo arc so much credit; it was like "Okay, this is all well and good, but how about we have some fun this time around?"

And yes, Freeza is massively overrated. He's fun to watch, but there's no depth or personality to him other than "fun evil". He's a good sort of "Final boss" guy to have in the Namek arc, but he's the weakest main antagonist in the entire original 11-year run. In fact, IMO we already got a better, more interesting, more fun version of what Freeza was a few years earlier with Piccolo Daimao.
GT_Goten10 wrote:—DBGT is my favorite DragonBall(although I know it’s objectively not the best)
GT is absolutely great, and I love it to bits, but DB and Z rank above it for me.
However, I can absolutely see why you'd prefer GT above the others; it's a really solid short run, aesthetically it definitely is the best of all the Dragon Ball series, and it has a style of its own that's just really nice. I find that ranking it below DB and Z is actually something of a toss-up for me; I think it is something of a close call, probably largely influenced by nostalgia, and the fairly small number of stories GT told in comparison to the two other series.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:55 pm

no depth or personality to him other than "fun evil".
What exactly constitutes depth?

Freeza has a personality, a very distinctive one at that. Freeza sees himself as a civilized gentleman and carries himself as such, but he occasionally lets the mask slide and you see him revel in destruction, then when he's truly pissed that all goes out the window.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:05 pm

ABED wrote:

Freeza has a personality, a very distinctive one at that. Freeza sees himself as a civilized gentleman and carries himself as such, but he occasionally lets the mask slide and you see him revel in destruction, then when he's truly pissed that all goes out the window.
He does have a personality, but it's a fairly thin, stock thing, and there's not really anything underneath his obvious devilish nature. The polite facade he puts on top of this is pretty obviously a facade, and I don't think even he thinks he's fooling anybody, he just revels in evil...
I don't really see what's deep about evil, in this case.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:46 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
ABED wrote:

He does have a personality, but it's a fairly thin, stock thing, and there's not really anything underneath his obvious devilish nature. The polite facade he puts on top of this is pretty obviously a facade, and I don't think even he thinks he's fooling anybody, he just revels in evil...
I don't really see what's deep about evil, in this case.
It's not a stock thing anymore than the "every villain is the hero of their own story" is. It's all about execution, and Freeza is well executed. What do you consider depth?

Freeza's façade isn't about fooling anyone, it's what he thinks he is. It's how he sees himself.

You bring up Piccolo Daimao, but he's literally evil incarnate. What's the difference?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:49 pm

Robo4900 wrote:aesthetically it definitely is the best of all the Dragon Ball series
Uhh what? Have you seen the Zamasu and ToP arcs? They are aesthetically massively superior to anything coming from the other 3 DB series.