Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by SX10 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:26 am

I went DIRECTLY TO Marni:

"Hi Ms. Shulman,

I believe I owe you an apology.

Recently I contacted Toei USA with the intention to let them know that we fans are in support of any potential deal with them and you channel for the Ocean Dub of kai. Just for support.

To my complete amazement, Lisa Yamatoya responded believing myself a representative. I corrected her, but the reply seemed overwhelmingly positive. She seemed very happy and interested to talk about airing Ocean's dub.

She CC'd me into a recent email she sent to yourself.

Her response confuses me. Please be aware that although Funimation's dub does run for more episodes, it is simply due to the fact that originally Kai stopped airing after episode 98. The latter half is technically a new series. When Funimation first aired Kai, episodes 1 - 98 ran on Nickelodeon with and without HD quality and Final Chapters (the latter half) ran uncut on toonami. I am aware there is no TV edit of Final Chapters that is safe for children as there is swearing and violence depicted that are not suitable for broadcasting to youth.

I didn't mean to make things more confusing than they are, but I can't cope knowing I may have put your deal at risk.

We fans trust you whole heartedly to still pursue the Ocean Dub.

I am truly, truly sorry.

Kind Regards,

Sam Love"
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:40 am

Please understand that I had to try and up sell Ocean. I realise now that what I said about Final Chapters is maybe a BIT much but know that should an Ocean dub of it be commissioned, then Ocean would probably be in charge of a TV edit again. That shouldn't be too hard for them.

I really hope Marni responds with something positive.

Lisa at no point to said, "you cannot have this" she is just trying to entice Marni, the option is still open. I am also glad she CC'd me in as none of us would have had a clue otherwise.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:44 am

Sam, you're truly the MVP of this whole thread.

All we can do now is wait, but thanks to you whatever kind of talks or waiting Marni was going over has skipped straight to direct contact with Toei. Our waiting may have just been cut drastically short. Hell, from the sounds of things in the original email, it seems like Toei have been waiting for Ken to get them in touch with Marni for a while now. If this goes through then I'm gonna love you forever, my dude.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:50 am

Ajay wrote:I guess just remind Marni that the big selling point of the Ocean version is that it's never been seen before, while the Funimation version has already been broadcast, and released on home video. It stops being this 'special event' if it's anything but the Ocean version. Maybe bring up the continued popularity and Dragon Ball associations the likes of Scott McNeil and Brian Drummond still have. Their con presence is huge. The market's there in the hardcore fandom, and the younger viewers won't care either way.
I think Ocean's version being 50% Cancon will be a bigger thing than the "Event" there, actually. 50% Cancon is really great when the other option is 0%.

Though, the Canadian legends of Scott McNeil, Brian Drummond, and others is definitely a draw, especially since this is the cast that any older fans would remember seeing on TV!! :)
You could possibly frame it as switching to the Funimation cast would disappoint the long-time fans who grew up on the original version with these legends, meanwhile putting the Ocean version would be a real cause for celebration among these fans who may not have heard these voices for years, and will be over the moon with nostalgia from hearing these voices again.
Perhaps pointing out Brian Drummond's, I suppose "Extended cameo" would be the term to use here, in Funimation's dub of the Super series may work as a testement to how well-loved and respected these actors' work on the franchise is, even within the USA fandom for whom these guys haven't been the primary cast since like 1998.
8000 Saiyan wrote:Sometimes I'm kinda concerned if McNeil is going to sound like this in Kai:
https://twitter.com/SuperSlayer4690/sta ... 1891223552
That's not the best-quality recording. If he sounds like that, this is a much better representation of how he'd sound. (Plus bonus Boo, and also note his pronunciation of Namek. :wink:)
Honestly, I quite like it; it's a lot like how he sounded in the Boo arc, which I always saw as the best phase of McNeil's Piccolo, sort of half-way between the super-intense Batman-esque thing he did in the Saban dub, and the much more chilled-out, clean voice he had for much of the Cell arc. It's a little quiet, but this is a somewhat decent show of that sound. (Apologies in advance for the awful dialogue Funimation wrote for this scene)
MistaL wrote:Though if Toei goes through with putting the Ocean dub onto HD footage, that'd be cool as then we may actually see it uncut if Wow! is willing to air it that way.
Early on, there was some talk about the possibility of Ocean Kai having an uncut and a cut version. No idea if that went through, but if it did, upgrading it to HD probably wouldn't take much...
But, on the other hand, that would be an uncut version. Going with the TV edit would probably just be a better option for Wow TV.

Honestly, the whole mention of HD confuses me, though!
The TV edit of Funi's Kai 1-98 dub would be standard-def too, so I don't see how this is an issue to raise. If you want HD, you'd have to deal with the fact there'll be, as SX10 put it, swearing and extra violence, so whichever dub you go with, the TV-safe version would only be standard-def...
MistaL wrote:Also the Nicktoons version was only in standard definition as well, right? If so then this probably further proves that the Ocean credits in that version were definitely because they shared the same video source.
I think it's pretty much known for certain that the Funimation edited video master that aired on NickToons is Ocean's video master(Or at least, their edited master. Again, I don't know if they have an uncut master; given what Lisa said, I would guess not, but anything's possible...). So yes, Funimation's TV version would be standard-def too, at least for 1-98.
SX10 wrote:Please understand that I had to try and up sell Ocean. I realise now that what I said about Final Chapters is maybe a BIT much but know that should an Ocean dub of it be commissioned, then Ocean would probably be in charge of a TV edit again. That shouldn't be too hard for them.

I really hope Marni responds with something positive.

Lisa at no point to said, "you cannot have this" she is just trying to entice Marni, the option is still open. I am also glad she CC'd me in as none of us would have had a clue otherwise.
Yeah, you did good, man.

I mean, presumably it's possible Ocean could do 99-167, right? I mean, there shouldn't be any reason for that not to be possible...? Funimation didn't start airing TFC until last year despite the fact their initial run of Kai finished in like 2013, so surely there's no problem with them going with Ocean's 1-98, then looking into options for what to do about TFC... I do hope there's no potential roadblock in terms of the possibility of Ocean doing a TFC dub. I don't imagine there would be one, but... Y'know... :(

Anyway, I don't think Lisa has any ill intentions here; she's probably just looked at Toei's catalogue and has noticed Funimation did more episodes, and Ocean's isn't tagged as HD while Funi's is, and she's just making sure Marni knows what she's getting. That'd be what I'd guess here, especially given the fact Funi's Kai 1.0 TV edit would definitely be standard-def just like Ocean's is.
I do wonder if it's possible that an arrangement like "If the initial 98 episodes are doing really well, could the further episodes be produced?" could be possible. I dunno if this is how this kind of thing works, but... I do wonder.

Honestly, I'm just confused. The way Lisa's presenting it, it's like the option is "Ocean 1-98 + Funimation 99-167, or Funimation 1-167." It just seems so weird to me... Surely it could just be "Ocean 1-98, then we see how it goes.", potentially with the hope that Ocean might do a TFC dub down the line based on how successful 1-98 is...?

I dunno what to suggest, really. One thought is to talk to Lisa again, but I think it's best not to, since saying the wrong thing may be problematic for Wow TV... Probably best to just keep quiet and see what Shulman says though, I guess...
SX10 wrote:When Funimation first aired Kai, episodes 1 - 98 ran on Nickelodeon with and without HD quality
As I understand it, Funimation's Nicktoons edit only aired in standard-def. Again, I think that video master may only be standard-def.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:33 am

Robo4900 wrote:That's not the best-quality recording. If he sounds like that, this is a much better representation of how he'd sound. (Plus bonus Boo, and also note his pronunciation of Namek. :wink:)
Honestly, I quite like it; it's a lot like how he sounded in the Boo arc, which I always saw as the best phase of McNeil's Piccolo, sort of half-way between the super-intense Batman-esque thing he did in the Saban dub, and the much more chilled-out, clean voice he had for much of the Cell arc. It's a little quiet, but this is a somewhat decent show of that sound. (Apologies in advance for the awful dialogue Funimation wrote for this scene)
Yeah, he sounds much better there. And yeah, Scott would be a great Batman, although I see him more as the Frank Miller version of the character.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:49 am

MistaL wrote:Sam, you're truly the MVP of this whole thread.

All we can do now is wait, but thanks to you whatever kind of talks or waiting Marni was going over has skipped straight to direct contact with Toei. Our waiting may have just been cut drastically short. Hell, from the sounds of things in the original email, it seems like Toei have been waiting for Ken to get them in touch with Marni for a while now. If this goes through then I'm gonna love you forever, my dude.
Thanks so much man! I am trying really hard to fill in gaps and present the situation as best I can to both. I can't let this go.

No reply from Marni but that's likely issues with timezones.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:24 pm

I don't get how Funi's dub being 167 episodes and Ocean's being 98 should be an issue either.

I mean WOW would have to buy a smaller batch of episodes initially anyway to see how the show does, so why not go with a version that's never been broadcast and hasn't been widely available on home video for years? And as said previously The Final Chapters is technically a different show so it would be like picking up one show AND its sequel, which would be quite a gamble.

SX10, I'd let Marni know the actors (Tockar, Drummond, McNeil etc) have said they want their dub to be seen and that they have also expressed their willingness to return to record the remaining 69 episodes if the initial run of 98 does well.

Thanks for all of your hard work, until Marni gets back to you we will all be sure to fight with power and fight with spirit to get Ocean Kai on the air :)
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:40 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I don't get how Funi's dub being 167 episodes and Ocean's being 98 should be an issue either.

I mean WOW would have to buy a smaller batch of episodes initially anyway to see how the show does, so why not go with a version that's never been broadcast and hasn't been widely available on home video for years? And as said previously The Final Chapters is technically a different show so it would be like picking up one show AND its sequel, which would be quite a gamble.

SX10, I'd let Marni know the actors (Tockar, Drummond, McNeil etc) have said they want their dub to be seen and that they have also expressed their willingness to return to record the remaining 69 episodes if the initial run of 98 does well.

Thanks for all of your hard work, until Marni gets back to you we will all be sure to fight with power and fight with spirit to get Ocean Kai on the air :)
I think in most cases, it's safe to assume actors who've worked on 100 episodes of a show would be happy to return to do a run of another 70 of it, and that they want their work to be seen. I think the question is more one of "Would the people behind the Ocean Kai dub do a TFC dub?"... I would assume the answer would be yes, if Kai 1.0 is successful on Wow, but showbiz can be a mess... I really do hope Wow can just pick up those 98 episodes, and that its TV ratings get the next 69 on track to be produced by whoever did Kai 1.0...

Y'know, the funny thing is, if this is how things happen, then the actors might end up recording TFC the in-universe time gap of 5 years since they were finishing up recording Kai 1.0... :lol:

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:26 pm

I find it difficult to believe Ocean's dub wasn't mastered in HD. This dub was made in the early 2010s. As late as 2014. That's way too recent to have been an SD-only production, especially as I know Ocean received HD materials. Last year, I found the editor who worked on Kai for them. He directly mentioned transferring the video from HDCAM tapes. Maybe Toei only has SD materials but I suspect someone somewhere has an HD version.

Which leads me to a new discovery. In that editor's animation showreel, I spotted something interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46pqBb3zdjo&t=15s Note how that doesn't sound like it would fit with the Dave Steele demo that was uncovered years ago. I'm not sure what kind of implications that aspect ratio has.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:44 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:I find it difficult to believe Ocean's dub wasn't mastered in HD. This dub was made in the early 2010s. As late as 2014. That's way too recent to have been an SD-only production, especially as I know Ocean received HD materials. Last year, I found the editor who worked on Kai for them. He directly mentioned transferring the video from HDCAM tapes. Maybe Toei only has SD materials but I suspect someone somewhere has an HD version.

Which leads me to a new discovery. In that editor's animation showreel, I spotted something interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46pqBb3zdjo&t=15s Note how that doesn't sound like it would fit with the Dave Steele demo that was uncovered years ago. I'm not sure what kind of implications that aspect ratio has.
I thought it was strange too! Perhaps this information has already reached Marni from her talks with Ken Morrison.

GREAT find there. So a different theme song was chosen. Not sure about the aspect ratio. Looked 16:9 to me, so perhaps SD.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:17 pm

SX10 wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:I find it difficult to believe Ocean's dub wasn't mastered in HD. This dub was made in the early 2010s. As late as 2014. That's way too recent to have been an SD-only production, especially as I know Ocean received HD materials. Last year, I found the editor who worked on Kai for them. He directly mentioned transferring the video from HDCAM tapes. Maybe Toei only has SD materials but I suspect someone somewhere has an HD version.

I thought it was strange too! Perhaps this information has already reached Marni from her talks with Ken Morrison.

GREAT find there. So a different theme song was chosen. Not sure about the aspect ratio. Looked 16:9 to me, so perhaps SD.
It's not the native AR, it's very clearly squished down to 16:9 from a 4:3 source. Song itself... I always thought the David Steele demo was likely not the final version. This sounds totally different, so even if Steele's version was used in the final product(Which I'm not sure it was, it sounded very demo-y, very much like a scratch track of some sort), it's possible that they used multiple OPs for the show, and whatever Steele recorded for wasn't the OP shown here. More likely Steele's was just a demo of one potential track that could have been the OP, or perhaps just a scratch track and the final song sounds entirely different, and was sung by someone else.

Anyway, if Toei doesn't have HD materials, it's possible Shulman might be best reaching out to Ken Morrison again to figure out if Ocean themselves have HD copies.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:41 pm

I’m pretty sure edited Kai was done in HD. I’m not 100% sure about the NickToons broadcast, but the CW broadcast, which was based on the Nick one with further edits done to it, was in HD. I know this from memory, and from YouTube clips.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... VTAlywb-m-
As seen from these promos, it was broadcast in HD. If it looks not so, they broadcasted it in 4:3, but cropped the promos to 16:9.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdzoSYmP1uI
I also found this while looking for promos, it’s a camcording of a part of an episode. It looks HD, even with the shaky cam quality. So I can probably safely say that quality won’t be an issue.

Also, on the subject of an edited Kai: TFC dub from FUNimation, I’m pretty sure one exists. FUNi has one made for Super, DB, Z, GT, and Kai 1.0, and along with Dragonball being FUNi’s most popular series, it’s safe to say they have an edited English Dub of Dragonball Kai: The Final Chapters just in case. So it wouldn’t be an issue if WOW! goes from Dragonball Kai Ocean to Dragonball Kai: The Final Chapters FUNimation.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:00 pm

simtek34 wrote:Also, on the subject of an edited Kai: TFC dub from FUNimation, I’m pretty sure one exists. FUNi has one made for Super, DB, Z, GT, and Kai 1.0, and along with Dragonball being FUNi’s most popular series, it’s safe to say they have an edited English Dub of Dragonball Kai: The Final Chapters just in case. So it wouldn’t be an issue if WOW! goes from Dragonball Kai Ocean to Dragonball Kai: The Final Chapters FUNimation.
I would argue that would be a massive issue; switching casts at episode 99 would be jarring and dumb.
Better for them to just do 98 episodes then wait and see if Ocean will do 99+.
Worst case scenario, if they're really desperate for more, and Ocean are not going to do more, they could just decide "Screw it, let's get Funi" and buy that while the last couple of episodes of 1.0 are airing. No reason it can't take a short hiatus before Final Chapters, so if negotiations take a while, it should all still be okay.
Given how jarring cast changes are, I really think it's best to just go with Ocean 1-98, and see how it goes from there.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:19 pm

I think what nobody picked up on in Lisa's email, not even me at first, is that she might very well be confusing Kai with YTV's run of the original Dragon Ball Z.

Because let's remember, YTV had exactly 167 episodes licensed to them by FUNimation before breaking things off with them and going with Ocean's dub.

Yes, the first 53 of those 167 episodes were dubbed in Canada but most likely mastered and owned in the USA, so she might just have things VERY confused.

Otherwise, she's simply saying that the series is not complete with Ocean's cast. But all Marni needs to do is to say "We'll commission more episodes from them."

Now that I'm thinking about it, it's most likely the latter. But I don't think Marni would shut all of us down just for something superficial like HD resolution.

As a matter of fact, only FUNimation's UNCUT dub is in 1080p. The Nicktoons edit was only in 480i, only the more extreme CW edit had an HD master, and I think Wow TV is going to be more mature than that.

Just like Super Saiyan Prime stated, he's spoken to a producer that confirmed he mastered the dub in HD, so Lisa simply might not be double-checking her facts.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:09 pm

Arian wrote:I think what nobody picked up on in Lisa's email, not even me at first, is that she might very well be confusing Kai with YTV's run of the original Dragon Ball Z.

Because let's remember, YTV had exactly 167 episodes licensed to them by FUNimation before breaking things off with them and going with Ocean's dub.

Yes, the first 53 of those 167 episodes were dubbed in Canada but most likely mastered and owned in the USA, so she might just have things VERY confused.

Otherwise, she's simply saying that the series is not complete with Ocean's cast. But all Marni needs to do is to say "We'll commission more episodes from them."

Now that I'm thinking about it, it's most likely the latter. But I don't think Marni would shut all of us down just for something superficial like HD resolution.

As a matter of fact, only FUNimation's UNCUT dub is in 1080p. The Nicktoons edit was only in 480i, only the more extreme CW edit had an HD master, and I think Wow TV is going to be more mature than that.

Just like Super Saiyan Prime stated, he's spoken to a producer that confirmed he mastered the dub in HD, so Lisa simply might not be double-checking her facts.
I don't think that's the case, Arian. She very clearly specified that she was talking about episodes 1-98 of Ocean's DBZ Kai dub. If she was confused and was talking about Ocean's original Z dub, she would have said episodes 1-53 or 108-276. No mention of "1-98" would have been made at all and she wouldn't refer to Funimation's 1-167 episode version as the full run.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:11 pm

Also big RIP to Arian's Gohan gif.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:22 pm

MistaL wrote:I don't think that's the case, Arian. She very clearly specified that she was talking about episodes 1-98 of Ocean's DBZ Kai dub. If she was confused and was talking about Ocean's original Z dub, she would have said episodes 1-53 or 108-276. No mention of "1-98" would have been made at all and she wouldn't refer to Funimation's 1-167 episode version as the full run.
But what I'm saying is, FUNimation owned 167 episodes of Z before YTV disassociated with them. Because you're right, she's asking Marni if she wants FUNimation's dub.

Now with that said, I've changed my view on the matter, but accept my theory for what it is. XP
MistaL wrote:Also big RIP to Arian's Gohan gif.
Aww, is my new one too serious? XD
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:28 pm

Arian wrote:Just like Super Saiyan Prime stated, he's spoken to a producer that confirmed he mastered the dub in HD, so Lisa simply might not be double-checking her facts.
... I didn't say that. I said Ocean received HD materials for Kai and that given when it was produced, it wouldn't make sense for it to be an SD-only production. I've tried asking the guy who did editing on the series if he remembers. If I get a response, I'll share it.

I'd laugh if Lisa is referring to the Nicktoons edit of Funimation's dub, because there's this in every episode:

Hopefully not.

I'd ask Marni to see if Ocean/Advantage Video has HD masters of their own. Otherwise, I'd like to know what Toei's "test" refers to. Are they doing a video file swap at Toei USA or something?
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBalishChannel » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:03 am

simtek34 wrote:I’m pretty sure edited Kai was done in HD. I’m not 100% sure about the NickToons broadcast, but the CW broadcast, which was based on the Nick one with further edits done to it, was in HD. I know this from memory, and from YouTube clips.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... VTAlywb-m-
As seen from these promos, it was broadcast in HD. If it looks not so, they broadcasted it in 4:3, but cropped the promos to 16:9.
I also found this while looking for promos, it’s a camcording of a part of an episode. It looks HD, even with the shaky cam quality. So I can probably safely say that quality won’t be an issue.
I can confirm that although 4Kids Toonzai and Vortexx had HD feeds, Dragon Ball Z Kai was not presented in HD itself during its run on either block. Rather, it appeared to be an upscale of the NickToons masters with additional edits made to the footage. I made two screenshot comparisons of the TV Broadcast quality vs. the Blu-ray quality (click the title for for high-resolution screenshots):

Vegeta Powers Up Against Semi-Perfect Cell

Super Saiyan 2 Gohan

As you can probably tell, the difference is fairly negligible between both versions. Later Cell Games episodes did have some weird SD artifacts such as interlacing and nearest neighbor scaling, but that was almost certainly the network editors' fault as opposed to the master quality.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:14 am

TheBalishChannel wrote:I can confirm that although 4Kids Toonzai and Vortexx had HD feeds, Dragon Ball Z Kai was not presented in HD itself during its run on either block. Rather, it appeared to be an upscale of the NickToons masters with additional edits made to the footage. I made two screenshot comparisons of the TV Broadcast quality vs. the Blu-ray quality (click the title for for high-resolution screenshots):

Vegeta Powers Up Against Semi-Perfect Cell

Super Saiyan 2 Gohan

As you can probably tell, the difference is fairly negligible between both versions. Later Cell Games episodes did have some weird SD artifacts such as interlacing and nearest neighbor scaling, but that was almost certainly the network editors' fault as opposed to the master quality.
There's a sight for sore eyes!

Well, I guess I was wrong about this. But this does give me hope as everyone involved in making this deal is more likely to get an HD transfer of Ocean Kai as opposed to edited FUNi Kai.

I will also add that Part 3 of FUNimation's release of Kai included the Nicktoons edit of the theme song done by Vic Mignogna. Despite everything else on the Blu-ray being in full 1080p HD, that segment was only in 480i, meaning that FUNimation didn't have it in any higher resolution than that.