"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pokesamus217

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Pokesamus217 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:36 am

Well that chapter was.......... rushed. Seriously, after the Merged Zamasu fight dragged on for what felt like half a year, Toyo seemes to have developed s fear of having the story’s pacing reach a speed below fast. And while that might work from time to time, a story like this needs time so that chapters like this can have more meaning than “well there went an interesting concept”

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:41 am

Pokesamus217 wrote:Well that chapter was.......... rushed. Seriously, after the Merged Zamasu fight dragged on for what felt like half a year, Toyo seemes to have developed s fear of having the story’s pacing reach a speed below fast. And while that might work from time to time, a story like this needs time so that chapters like this can have more meaning than “well there went an interesting concept”
The chapter wasn't rushed, it was more so we didn't get helpful exposition to the cabbaillties of the fights still left. Though I agree anirzaza was wasted. Toyotaro could have made him interesting, he already had more persoanility in the manga, having him show some cabaillities would have been cool.

All in all, chapter was good though.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:42 am

Pokesamus217 wrote:Well that chapter was.......... rushed. Seriously, after the Merged Zamasu fight dragged on for what felt like half a year, Toyo seemes to have developed s fear of having the story’s pacing reach a speed below fast. And while that might work from time to time, a story like this needs time so that chapters like this can have more meaning than “well there went an interesting concept”
Needs time you said , how much ?
A question for the Rush complainers , how many chapters you wanted for t.o.p arc ?
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:42 am

1345521 wrote:Manga is focusing on the big players so we can have epic fights.
Apparently that's the only thing that matters in Dragon Ball now.

Dragon Ball was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:48 am

prince212 wrote:
A question for the Rush complainers , how many chapters you wanted for t.o.p arc ?
He's right, Prince. This manga arc needed more chapters. Based on how far we are right now, we needed to have chapter 32 broken into like 2 chapters. One chapter focuses on gohan and piccolo training, then goku recruiting the rest. Then build up with Frieza. Then chapter 33 is about goku recruiting Frieza and then they come back and leave for the tourney at the end of chapter 33. Then we needed to replace chapter 35 and have the events of chapter 36 takes it place. Then have one more chapter giving shine to some fodder, so then we can get to the big hitters by chapter 37 (or really would be 38 since the 32nd chapter was broken into two chapters 32-33)

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:49 am

Doctor. wrote:

You know you can get reported for saying something like that. If you don't like dragon ball, you shouldn't be here.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:51 am

1345521 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

You know you can get reported for saying something like that. If you don't like dragon ball, you shouldn't be here.
How can I get reported for saying something you don't agree with?

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:54 am

Doctor. wrote:
1345521 wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Apparently that's the only thing that matters in Dragon Ball now.

Isn't against the rules just to hate on dragon ball? It's not like you hate on dragon ball t. Show anime, or Z, or db manga, GT, Kai, dbs anime or manga - or even fan works, you hate ALL OF IT. Why are you here if you hate all dragon ball and dislike the franchise?

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:54 am

1345521 wrote:
prince212 wrote:
He's right, Prince. This manga arc needed more chapters. Based on how far we are right now, we needed to have chapter 32 broken into like 2 chapters. One chapter focuses on gohan and piccolo training, then goku recruiting the rest. Then build up with Frieza. Then chapter 33 is about goku recruiting Frieza and then they come back and leave for the tourney at the end of chapter 33. Then we needed to replace chapter 35 and have the events of chapter 36 takes it place. Then have one more chapter giving shine to some fodder, so then we can get to the big hitters by chapter 37 (or really would be 38 since the 32nd chapter was broken into two chapters 32-33)
Ok , i just wanna know how many chapters you guys think are needed for manga t.o.p . 15, 20 ?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:55 am

1345521 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
1345521 wrote: You know you can get reported for saying something like that. If you don't like dragon ball, you shouldn't be here.
Isn't against the rules just to hate on dragon ball? It's not like you hate on dragon ball t. Show anime, or Z, or db manga, GT, Kai, dbs anime or manga - or even fan works, you hate ALL OF IT. Why are you here if you hate all dragon ball and dislike the franchise?
It's not against the rules to hate the series. Sure, it'd make no sense to be here if you hate the show, but it's not against the rules.

And I don't hate Dragon Ball. That was a joke.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:58 am

Doctor. wrote:
1345521 wrote:
Doctor. wrote: How can I get reported for saying something you don't agree with?
It's not against the rules to hate the series. Sure, it'd make no sense to be here if you hate the show, but it's not against the rules.

It isn't against the rules he can voice his displeasure with the series as much as he likes. There's nothing preventing anybody from doing so, no matter how irrational some of this criticism may seem.
prince212 wrote:
1345521 wrote:
prince212 wrote: Needs time you said , how much ?
Ok , i just wanna know how many chapters you guys think are needed for manga t.o.p . 15, 20 ?
Just enough that there isn't a sequence in which 4 entire Universes are erased in a matter of 8 pages. That is a good start. Such a sequence existing is the epitome of something being rushed. Giving Universes any use other than being doffer to Kale would be nice too. However, this appears to be too much to ask from Toyotaro.
Last edited by PFM18 on Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:01 am

1345521 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

Looks like there’s nothing we can do , this user is constantly saying those kind of things and nothing happened , I know that just to read his opinions is annoying, but everybody has the right to talk .

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:08 am

Marlowe89 wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:Please do not tell me I am again the only one here thinking the ToP is rushed AF, 4 universes gone at once lol
You're not. You're completely incorrect for thinking that, but you're not the only person here with the sentiment.

Hundreds of non-characters could be tossed out of the picture and it would have absolutely nothing to do with the progression of the story, just like Freeza's army in Resurrection 'F' or literally any other situation where "cannon fodder" is used to emphasize the strength of a significant character. They're not relevant to pacing.
Alright man thanks because last time I said I thought the manga was rushed there was a bunch of posters replying me the pacing was fine so I was wondering if this was still a general sentiment after 38 cheers lol
Last edited by PsionicWarrior on Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:08 am

prince212 wrote:
1345521 wrote:
prince212 wrote: Needs time you said , how much ?
It depends since don't know how the tourney will end. But right now we have 12 chapters. Based on what toyotaro has given us, I think we need 2 extra materials of pages to flesh out better this arc. So right now, I think we should have 14 chapters (15 chapters would be cool. Have chapter 29 just be god of destruction fight, and whoever wins in the 8 universes participating. Their god of destruction WOULD BE ALLOWED in the tourney. Hahaha, how awesome would that he. Imagine if queitla won, arguably the strongest god of destruction would be in the tourney along with the tricks of Damon and gamisarus, what if belmod actaully played dead and won the match. BRUUUUUHHHH. Imagine a team with belmod AND JIREN. Universe 11 would be OP. Belmod jiren and toppo are like the ultimate big three. What if berrus won and we got like an redemption arc for berrus because of how lazy bad of an god of destruction he was. Berrus vs full power jiren (we'd obviously get no Frieza though not ultra instinct goku. The hype is overflowing, though that's deviate way to much from akiras guide. Hahaha)

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:11 am

Doctor. wrote:
1345521 wrote:
Doctor. wrote: How can I get reported for saying something you don't agree with?

Oh, forgive me. I didn't know.

Pokesamus217

Post by Pokesamus217 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:20 am

prince212 wrote:
At this point, assuming that there’s no more pacing problems, I’d say two or three, one can be used to flesh out some of the other universes pre ToP, and the rest to help flesh out some of the underutilized characters.

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:37 am

PFM18 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
1345521 wrote: Isn't against the rules just to hate on dragon ball? It's not like you hate on dragon ball t. Show anime, or Z, or db manga, GT, Kai, dbs anime or manga - or even fan works, you hate ALL OF IT. Why are you here if you hate all dragon ball and dislike the franchise?

It isn't against the rules he can voice his displeasure with the series as much as he likes. There's nothing preventing anybody from doing so, no matter how irrational some of this criticism may seem.
prince212 wrote:
1345521 wrote: He's right, Prince. This manga arc needed more chapters. Based on how far we are right now, we needed to have chapter 32 broken into like 2 chapters. One chapter focuses on gohan and piccolo training, then goku recruiting the rest. Then build up with Frieza. Then chapter 33 is about goku recruiting Frieza and then they come back and leave for the tourney at the end of chapter 33. Then we needed to replace chapter 35 and have the events of chapter 36 takes it place. Then have one more chapter giving shine to some fodder, so then we can get to the big hitters by chapter 37 (or really would be 38 since the 32nd chapter was broken into two chapters 32-33)
Just enough that there isn't a sequence in which 4 entire Universes are erased in a matter of 8 pages. That is a good start. Such a sequence existing is the epitome of something being rushed. Giving Universes any use other than being doffer to Kale would be nice too. However, this appears to be too much to ask from Toyotaro.
You know in episode 96, when Frieza met the z fighters and vegeta roasted him for having his halo, and that facial expression Frieza. Kinda half fake smile/have irratated look. That's me when I see you making some type of back-hand comment diss of toyotaro. Now I mean that in no disrespect nor am I claiming you are doing on purpose, just the reaction I get due to your history of not being very...kind ...to toyotaro. Though I do the same for supers anime (maybe even worse) so it's no big deal. Just found it all a little funny.. :lol: .... :) .... :x ........ :evil:

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:39 am

1345521 wrote: Hm? :| I had a hard understand what you were getting at in this post, I'm not saying kale eliminating fodder was that cool (especially since toyotaro didn't even both to show us the cabaillities of these people and why they lasted this long in the first place), but it does make kale even more impressive as well as make me interested in the story. And the reason I love kale is because broly is my favorite character in the franchise, so having kale be very simloar to broly but still be kinda distinct and her own character is a great plus. I mean ask any hardcore broly who they like better now, most either say they are I differnt towards both or they like manga kale better. Which for toyotaro is an sucess, captivate towards the broly fans. All these pessimist (anime troopers) who want fodder wank would have still hated your chapter anyway, so it's better to appeal to groups in the fandom that like having their character shine. Broly fans are somewhat excited and now gohan fans have interst in the manga. Go for the big fish is what toyotaro is doing, not trying to appease the skeptics.
Fan pandering?Because that’s what this quote implies.
And when I mean interested in the story. I actually feel EMOTION when reading dbs manga which is why I've become a big fan.for example, reading chapter 38. The facial expression toyotaro draws goku and others when they are shocked is the same expression I had reading this chapter. That's great! In the anime it's more of a bore fest and cringe fest because everything is so childesh and it only appeals to 12 year old children and people who try to act like man-childs. I really love how toyotaro is making a story that he likes and not trying to appease the famdom. That's what Akira did so Toyo is now following the same footsteps. Dosent mean I found this chapter perfect, but it had some good stuff. Characterization was great
I never get that much emotional on fiction,so I won’t comment on that.Akira toriyama didn’t have any sentimental attachments to characters while in recent chapters toyotaro seems to be pandering to his personal fandom.
Art was awesome
His art is average,his panelling is quite weak,his choreography is lacking and biggest of all he doesn’t bring creativity.I wanted to reply to your previous comment about art,but I’ll reply now.
From one punch man:
[spoiler][img].http://onepunchman.wikia.com/wiki/Oroch ... nesis_.png[/img]
[img].http://vsbattles.wikia.com/wiki/Elder_C ... l_Wave.png[/img][/spoiler]
From berserk:
[spoiler][img].http://berserk.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon?file=Dragons.JPG[/img][/spoiler]
There’s obviously the original manga,vagabond,even nanatsu no taizai,dr. stone etc.
I know that I am being too hard on toyotaro by comparing with these examples,but my point is toyotaro is an amateur and it shows.
Power scailing made sense
Consistency was good
I really like these things about the manga,but the truth is that the only reason it gets so much praise is because anime is very bad at this and people have this notion that dragon ball was always bad.Remove that and it isn’t that amazing.
And what were saying about god royale? Don't tell me you found the god sparring matach in the anime better then the manga fight to death royale?
[/quote]
I was talking about the manga god battle royale which if you ask me was better than the actual tournament.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:42 am

The rushed discussion isn't black and white and shouldn't be discussed as such.

I never subscribed to the idea that the manga is rushed past the U6 tournament arc. However I can look at this chapter and see that the first half of it was. Not because it eliminated a bunch of characters at once but how it went about it. I felt like I was reading a list perfectly captured by the panels of the Grand Priest saying "Universe X is eliminated".
If we look back at other sequences where a large number of characters are disposed it was never like this, this lacked heart and in doing so demonstrated it's rushed nature.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:52 am

People can like or dislike the manga, just as long as everyone respects each others views which apparently some people aren't doing in this thread which is a shame.

I love the manga, I don't like the anime, just my view. I think the manga is written better, but you don't have to feel like I do. That said, the manga makes me really happy, and I'm a huge Toyotaro fan.