Disregarding quality, are you happy Super existed

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Disregarding quality, are you happy Super existed

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:49 am

Just for the Fact that Dragon Ball Super lead to the Creation and Debut of Brianne de Chateau/Ribrianne, My New #1 Favorite Character in All of DB, ALONE, as well as Greatly Sanka Ku/Kakunsa, Su Roas/Rozie and All of Universe 2, Despite clear issues and writing problems, I am BEYOND Happy Super Exists! :D :clap:

These Characters Alone, Especially Brianne de Chateau/Ribrianne, Revitalized my Fandom in DB in a whole New Way and Finally Brought Magical Girls to the DB Mythos I waited 20 years for!

"Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love and Victory!" ~ Brianne de Chateau, Episode 102! 8)

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Shaqazooloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shaqazooloo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:40 am

Nope, not really. I wish I could forget the whole thing ever happened tbh.
Favorite Dragon Ball Characters
1. Waluigi
2. Whis
3. Evil Buu

Dislikes: Playing by the rules

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:26 am

Shaqazooloo wrote:Nope, not really. I wish I could forget the whole thing ever happened tbh.
Why?

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:00 pm

Not for the anime, the anime was pretty trashy. It featured bad power scailing, bad art, horrid power scailing, no gore and terrible characitzation. Though it did leave with some memorable scenes (mostly in the universe 6 arc since that was like the last decent arc IMO). I wish we just got the manga of super and no anime honestly, so all in all i'm SORTA happy super existed. :)

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:30 am

1345521 wrote:Not for the anime, the anime was pretty trashy. It featured bad power scailing, bad art, horrid power scailing, no gore and terrible characitzation. Though it did leave with some memorable scenes (mostly in the universe 6 arc since that was like the last decent arc IMO). I wish we just got the manga of super and no anime honestly, so all in all i'm SORTA happy super existed. :)
.....you said bad power scaling twice?

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:01 am

PFM18 wrote:
1345521 wrote:Not for the anime, the anime was pretty trashy. It featured bad power scailing, bad art, horrid power scailing, no gore and terrible characitzation. Though it did leave with some memorable scenes (mostly in the universe 6 arc since that was like the last decent arc IMO). I wish we just got the manga of super and no anime honestly, so all in all i'm SORTA happy super existed. :)
So is this a critique of his grammar or what?
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:45 am

Bergamo wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
So is this a critique of his grammar or what?
Ah yes, the legendary bergamo of the kensenshu community. A big fan of your work, I have been observing this community for a few months before I joined about a few days ago. Your post are usually about 100% accurate when it comes to dbs manga and is a breath of fresh air in the mist of not so... Tolerable post. Once again, huge fan and your post, analysis and rationales are very much appacristed.

And allow me to introduce myself, I go by the name 4. (I didn't know they take your username as your name tag, and I can't seem to even change my username) I am an warrior elite in debate from the youtube community, after catching to many bodies from "anime troopers" ( I did not create this name-tag someone else did and is it offensive to describe people as "anime troopers"?) in debate, I decided that I should take my talents to kansehuu. And that's how I came to be here.

And to keep in topic so people don't try to erase this comment, I am sorta happy super existed

Shaqazooloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shaqazooloo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:59 am

PFM18 wrote:
Shaqazooloo wrote:Nope, not really. I wish I could forget the whole thing ever happened tbh.
Why?
Because there was a lot of stuff introduced that i'm not a fan of,it retro-actively changed my opinion of Dragon Ball Z, it made me hate Goku, made me bored of Vegeta as well as hate the whole Saiyan wankfest stuff they have going on, got me to start visiting Dragon Ball related forums and showed signs of wanting to buff Krillin only to promptly bury him in the main event.

Of course, if I had actually enjoyed the show I'd feel differently, but eventually it started to get to me. Dragon Ball Super could be the worst show of all time, but if I had at least enjoyed it, I could be okay with it's existence, sadly thats not the case. I wish Battle of the Gods had bombed and that story continuation for Dragon Ball was relegated to the video games instead of a new series happening. That or me forgetting everything about Dragon Ball Super...

As it stands, i'm not gonna be able to enjoy future and possibly even past Dragon ball content...
1. Waluigi
2. Whis
3. Evil Buu

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:04 am

Shaqazooloo wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Why?
Because there was a lot of stuff introduced that i'm not a fan of,it retro-actively changed my opinion of Dragon Ball Z, it made me hate Goku, made me bored of Vegeta as well as hate the whole Saiyan wankfest stuff they have going on, got me to start visiting Dragon Ball related forums and showed signs of wanting to buff Krillin only to promptly bury him in the main event.

Of course, if I had actually enjoyed the show I'd feel differently, but eventually it started to get to me. Dragon Ball Super could be the worst show of all time, but if I had at least enjoyed it, I could be okay with it's existence, sadly thats not the case. I wish Battle of the Gods had bombed and that story continuation for Dragon Ball was relegated to the video games instead of a new series happening. That or me forgetting everything about Dragon Ball Super...

As it stands, i'm not gonna be able to enjoy future and possibly even past Dragon ball content...
shuldn't your hate for the "Saiyan wankfest" be indpendent of DBS? It has happened far before the start of the new series. It was extremely prevalent in the Buu saga and for the entirety of the latter half of the Cell Arc. DB is just about Saiyans that is just what it is.

And how could you enjoy it if it was the worst show of all time? I enjoyed it because I think it is a good show.

Shaqazooloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shaqazooloo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:10 am

PFM18 wrote:
Shaqazooloo wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Why?

shuldn't your hate for the "Saiyan wankfest" be indpendent of DBS? It has happened far before the start of the new series. It was extremely prevalent in the Buu saga and for the entirety of the latter half of the Cell Arc. DB is just about Saiyans that is just what it is.

And how could you enjoy it if it was the worst show of all time? I enjoyed it because I think it is a good show.
The Saiyan wanking wasn't this bad in Z I feel, with Super it feels like the show is shoving it in my face as opposed to just waving a sign at me in the distance that says "Saiyan's are cool aren't they?" in Z.

People can like crappy shows, movies, video games, etc. There's bound to be something that's bad that a person likes. I for example, really like Dragon Ball GT, it's a crappy show, but that doesn't stop me from liking it. Not everything that a person likes has to be good and sometimes people have difficulty discerning between what is good and what they like.

Now, I don't want to get into a debate about whether or not Dragon Ball Super is a good or bad show, but imo it is a crappy show at GT levels. However, I know that's not why I didn't enjoy it, because I like GT, I didn't enjoy it for various other reasons. I could've enjoyed Dragon Ball Super if it had done things differently. If they had somehow recon the universe 7 Saiyan's back into existence (without it resulting in a wankfest) and gave no explanation, I could enjoy that. If they buffed Krillin to God tier at the tournament of power, I could enjoy that (especially the meltdowns that would ensue). If they had Goku demolish every opponent he come into contact with, I could enjoy that. I don't mind if the plot is terribly written, it's just that with Super theirs almost no plot and most of the time character interactions just come down to Goku and Vegeta, at least with GT, Goku was accompanied by Trunks and Pan most of the time. None of this stuff is good and in fact would make the show worse, however I could get entertainment from it though. I've read fanfics far worse than Dragon Ball Super that i've thoroughly enjoyed.

I like and enjoy Dragon Ball GT partly because it doesn't really have anything that can piss me off, disappointment me or dislike it to the degree I dislike Super (also I just genuinely have a good time with it). Dragon Ball Super has a lot of stuff I just can't stand.
1. Waluigi
2. Whis
3. Evil Buu

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:17 am

No, because even if you disregard how awful Super is, you still have to take into account the absolutely irredeemable influence the series has had on the fanbase. It's impossible how awful, unfunny and downright hostile the fanbase has been for the past 3 years. And, of course, Super is directly responsible for the narrative trends modern Dragon Ball is following and is likely to follow in the future, trends I find absolutely repulsive and at odds with what Dragon Ball has been since its inception. I'm not opposed to new Dragon Ball, though, far from it, I just don't see why I have to feel happy something with such terrible (meta-)influences exists.

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:21 am

Shaqazooloo wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Shaqazooloo wrote:

The Saiyan wanking wasn't this bad in Z I feel, with Super it feels like the show is shoving it in my face as opposed to just waving a sign at me in the distance that says "Saiyan's are cool aren't they?" in Z.

People can like crappy shows, movies, video games, etc. There's bound to be something that's bad that a person likes. I for example, really like Dragon Ball GT, it's a crappy show, but that doesn't stop me from liking it. Not everything that a person likes has to be good and sometimes people have difficulty discerning between what is good and what they like.

Now, I don't want to get into a debate about whether or not Dragon Ball Super is a good or bad show, but imo it is a crappy show at GT levels. However, I know that's not why I didn't enjoy it, because I like GT, I didn't enjoy it for various other reasons. I could've enjoyed Dragon Ball Super if it had done things differently. If they had somehow recon the universe 7 Saiyan's back into existence (without it resulting in a wankfest) and gave no explanation, I could enjoy that. If they buffed Krillin to God tier at the tournament of power, I could enjoy that (especially the meltdowns that would ensue). If they had Goku demolish every opponent he come into contact with, I could enjoy that. I don't mind if the plot is terribly written, it's just that with Super theirs almost no plot and most of the time character interactions just come down to Goku and Vegeta, at least with GT, Goku was accompanied by Trunks and Pan most of the time. None of this stuff is good and in fact would make the show worse, however I could get entertainment from it though. I've read fanfics far worse than Dragon Ball Super that i've thoroughly enjoyed.

I like and enjoy Dragon Ball GT partly because it doesn't really have anything that can piss me off, disappointment me or dislike it to the degree I dislike Super (also I just genuinely have a good time with it). Dragon Ball Super has a lot of stuff I just can't stand.
What's your opinion on supers manga? I agree and think super is a terrible show. And I like GT, and honestly I think it's an okay show. Not bad but not grest either. For super, not only do I dislike it I think it's a pretty trashy show as well.
Bad power scaiking
Distaful art style
Bad characterization
Lame fights
Poor writing
No gore
Etc etc.
But what do you think of supers manga?

Shaqazooloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shaqazooloo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:34 am

1345521 wrote: What's your opinion on supers manga? I agree and think super is a terrible show. And I like GT, and honestly I think it's an okay show. Not bad but not great either. For super, not only do I dislike it I think it's a pretty trashy show as well.
Bad power scailing
Bad power scaiking
Distaful art style
Bad characterization
Lame fights
Poor writing
No gore
Etc etc.
Honestly, I have not seen a single page of the manga. I've heard good things about it though, particularly for the earlier arcs. The current one from what i've been hearing is mixed because humans got eliminated early without fanfare and Kefla eliminating basically everybody? Just going off of what i've heard I think would like it more than the show tbh. Uhhh also apparently Califla and Kale are actual characters in it?

What keeps me from going for it is everybody saying it's an even bigger Saiyan circlejerk than the anime...
1. Waluigi
2. Whis
3. Evil Buu

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:25 pm

Shaqazooloo wrote:
1345521 wrote: What's your opinion on supers manga? I agree and think super is a terrible show. And I like GT, and honestly I think it's an okay show. Not bad but not great either. For super, not only do I dislike it I think it's a pretty trashy show as well.
Bad power scailing
Bad power scaiking
Distaful art style
Bad characterization
Lame fights
Poor writing
No gore
Etc etc.
Honestly, I have not seen a single page of the manga. I've heard good things about it though, particularly for the earlier arcs. The current one from what i've been hearing is mixed because humans got eliminated early without fanfare and Kefla eliminating basically everybody? Just going off of what i've heard I think would like it more than the show tbh. Uhhh also apparently Califla and Kale are actual characters in it?

What keeps me from going for it is everybody saying it's an even bigger Saiyan circlejerk than the anime...
Wow, not even a page? Lol. All good, many people are where you are. Which I why I so DESPERATLY hope toei can make a reboot to the story to follow the manga version. It's way better. So all the people who don't like dbs anime but don't care enough to read it's manga version can really see dragon ball super as a whole isn't bad.

And DARN RIGHT ABOUT KALE AND CAULIFA. lol, Kale actually has a personality on her base form and they are given better back story and characterization. Don't want to spoil you, but caulifa is much more tolerable and isn't power lusted in the anime, though she's cocky (for good reason. Got to read the manga to find out why) but not as cocky as her anime counterpart. She knows her place when she sees she outmatched. Plus the manga added some layers to who she is.
And kale...oh man. Base kale is really interesting as well and has more back story plus she's super fast in her base form. For kale, of you're a broly fan. You'll like kale. Of you hate broly, you'll hate manga kale. Her anime counterpart was weak, most broly fans don't like her anime counterpart so manga kale isn't an ripoff of her anime counterpart.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:32 pm

"Disregarding quality, are you happy Super existed?"

Yeah, pretty much.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:14 pm

in fact if quite the mistakes it will have it like any other fiction but I create characters of which many I liked quite especially with beerus and whis that now I could not see DB without them really.
the participation of the characters having more development
finally the whole history of the gods and the universes is a great contribution to the series because the cosmology of db was too rigid especially with zamasu arc where they spoke about the roles of these and the combats acquired more variety with the skills yeah .. if I'm happy with it

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:59 pm

Say what you want, for quite some time a whole lot of the fandom was awaiting the next episode each week and arguing every eyebrow to death after it aired lol
sure the show has given a lot of frustration a bit too often but it also (IMHO) pulled off a lot of great stuff so yeah definitely worth it lol

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:21 pm

I liked it well enough. That being said, I wasn't feeling a gaping hole in my being where Dragon Ball used to be, so I can't say that my life is bettered by its presence or anything. It was a fun way to spend a few months; probably not gonna go back and watch it again.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:29 am

Yes, because even though I don’t like the show itself, it has opened up more opportunities for more DB content. However, with that being said, if the next installments in the series aren’t any better than Super, then most definitely no.

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:17 pm

I'm indifferent...I'm both happy Super exists and at the same time i wish it didn't.

I'll explain...

What i'm happy with...
That Dragonball is back and is somewhat popular again, it's been fun speculating and seeing new content come out with my friends (specially DBFZ). I also realize that DBS was made for kids and for the new generation of kids and so even tho i might not enjoy it, i know many other kids do.

What I'm not happy with...
Is the quality...Sorry to go off topic but yes the quality is an issue from animation, writing and music. I'm very disappointed in the direction DB is going and I'm quite frankly not happy with the over use of Goku and Vegeta (DB can be much more then just them) I think the show was not thought out and was an excuse to sell more merchandise. Therefore i very very much dislike the new lore and canon that has been created...for me it creates so many plot holes and unnecessary power ups, silly transformations and over develops its characters so much that they don't know what to do with them. They either just sit on the side lines, give them different hair colours (which is super lazy! no pun intended) or repeat the same tired archetypes.
What I'm mostly not happy with is i feel modern DB is not for me...The quality of the show is not to a standard i would like and so i've come to the conclusion that I'll just need to watch it with an open mind and understand that plenty of other people enjoy it and that the show is for them. Maybe one day it will be special for me again...

Sooo..i'm happy DB is back but I'm not happy DBS exists if that makes sense. I wish DBS was something completely different!