Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by GT_Goten10 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:45 am

1345521 wrote:
GT_Goten10 wrote:
1345521 wrote:I find GT better then Supers manga and anime
Z is better the. Super is every positive category I can think of
OG English dub is way way better then Kai dub
SUPER 17 was an cool character
Goku black and zamsu are underrated in the manga and astronomically overrated in the anime
I consider some of db multiverse ideas to be better then the show (IE gokus mom)
I think multiverse is better then GT, super manga and super anime
I like ssj4 gogeta much more the. Ssj gogeta
Ssj4 is the best transformation in dragon ball history
I liked absolutely no one in the dbs anime and cared little about anyone of them whil I enjoyed characters like Kale, hit, goku while also finding goku black and merged zamsu interesting in the manga
Dragon ball is overrated
Agreed on all counts except the multiverse>GT one
It debatable. The lore building from Z is done much better in multiverse but in terms of adding more memorable things to the franchise it is GT. I think multiverse is better, but the highs of GT easily exceed the highs of multiverse?

DBS GOHAN IS THE BEST GOHAN? Better be talking about dbs MANGA gohan, dbs anime gohan has like no persoanilitg and isn't cool. Like at all.
It is a logical character development
GT Fighter

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:03 am

GT_Goten10 wrote:
1345521 wrote:
GT_Goten10 wrote:
Agreed on all counts except the multiverse>GT one
It debatable. The lore building from Z is done much better in multiverse but in terms of adding more memorable things to the franchise it is GT. I think multiverse is better, but the highs of GT easily exceed the highs of multiverse?

DBS GOHAN IS THE BEST GOHAN? Better be talking about dbs MANGA gohan, dbs anime gohan has like no persoanilitg and isn't cool. Like at all.
It is a logical character development
So you are talking about gohan in the anime? Bro, you are one of the few fellow GT fans left, why you gotta say something like that? Dbs anime gohan IS A JOKE. Though he's better then GT (defintly not in character but simply because he has better feats), he's pretty subpar. Manga gohan and GT gohan is character devolpment, not dbs anime gohan who has devovled into no persoanility and is constantly bowing down to everyone like those snobby academic kids who play kiss up to the adults. C'mon dude, you are a GT fan. We can't be saying stuff like this... Dbs anime gohan, not only did you say he's good but HES THE BEST? Better then:
Kid gohan
TEEN GOHAN
future gohan
Adult buu saga gohan
Dbs manga gohan
GT gohan
Better then all of them? C'mon..
Facepalms...

Edit: heck what about db multiverse gohan! Forgot about him. (Though dbs manga gohan is acts like just a younger version of multiverse gohan)

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:50 am

I have another big One:
Beerus & Zeno should never exist because these characters take the drama away from me whenever something happened ...in the back of my mind that the two of them can handle things as you saw it in the Future Trunks Saga
GT Fighter

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:37 am

1345521 wrote: C'mon dude, you are a GT fan. We can't be saying stuff like this...
Tbh even as a simple regular Z fan you can't say stuff like this lol
Yeah DBS anime Gohan sucks globally, but I'm counting on Toto to make him shine in the manga where at least he has the correct gi lol

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:49 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:
1345521 wrote: C'mon dude, you are a GT fan. We can't be saying stuff like this...
Tbh even as a simple regular Z fan you can't say stuff like this lol
Yeah DBS anime Gohan sucks globally, but I'm counting on Toto to make him shine in the manga where at least he has the correct gi lol
Exactly, lol.
I really really hope so. Toyo characterization of gohan is leagues above the anime version, Toyo just got to make manga gohan put in work.
And if you've read multiverse, dosent manga gohan kinda remind you of like a younger version of gohan in multiverse?

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:10 pm

GT_Goten10 wrote:I have another big One:
Beerus & Zeno should never exist because these characters take the drama away from me whenever something happened ...in the back of my mind that the two of them can handle things as you saw it in the Future Trunks Saga
Wouldn’t that be them either being ineffective or making things worse on a grander scale?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:49 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
ABED wrote:I think most people prefer to not rehash stuff over and over. It loses its potency over time.
Since the moment Broly was confirmed all I saw was pretty much "excitement, joy, booyah, hooray, boom shaka-laka" everywhere. If that was the case, I'm pretty sure I would see more people sharing my opinion, but this is not something I find everyday.

Hell, I was called "killjoy", "you want attention" and etc when I voiced my dislike about the new movie. That shows how excited people are in general.
We are definitely in the minority.
Over time, it will fade. Remember, DB lost popularity by the end of its original run, and the third Broly movie was not well received.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:09 pm

ABED wrote: the third Broly movie was not well received.
but it was not very good lol

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:17 am

ABED wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
Since the moment Broly was confirmed all I saw was pretty much "excitement, joy, booyah, hooray, boom shaka-laka" everywhere. If that was the case, I'm pretty sure I would see more people sharing my opinion, but this is not something I find everyday.

Hell, I was called "killjoy", "you want attention" and etc when I voiced my dislike about the new movie. That shows how excited people are in general.
We are definitely in the minority.
Over time, it will fade. Remember, DB lost popularity by the end of its original run, and the third Broly movie was not well received.
I know that I went on a rant on the same topic at another site.It will happen a bit sooner because they are not expanding into new territories.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:02 am

I think Dragon Ball Multiverse is incredibly overrated. It, like Super, is all about flashy fanservice over substance, only taken to the extreme. I get that it's a fan comic, but that doesn't mean it can't be more engaging or adventurous than it currently is. Even the alternate outcomes they show, like when the villains win over the heroes, aren't really anything special. They're just predictable scenarios illustrated in comic form. Also, Salagir's blatant fanboying over his version of Bra and Broly is quite jarring and detracts from the already mediocre story, at least in my opinion.

I will give the artists credit for how beautiful some of the artwork looks, as well as how much effort they put into drawing the comic on a consistent basis, but pleasing aesthetics can only take a story so far. It's the same issue I have with Super.

I'm not expecting anything good out of the new Broly movie because I loathe Broly as a character, and from what I've seen of the trailer, it looks like it's going to be another generic and uninspiring story like RoF, but with a far less interesting villain. Heck, when I found out Broly was going to be the villain, my heart sank. Of all the avenues Toei/Toriyama could've explored after the admittedly fantastic world/universe building done by Super, they went with the least interesting option imaginable, and chose to rehash the dullest, most polarising character in Dragon Ball history, just because he's going to rake in a shitload of money. It's not surprising since that's how Toei rolls, but it doesn't make it any less disheartening.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:09 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:I think Dragon Ball Multiverse is incredibly overrated. It, like Super, is all about flashy fanservice over substance, only taken to the extreme. I get that it's a fan comic, but that doesn't mean it can't be more engaging or adventurous than it currently is. Even the alternate outcomes they show, like when the villains win over the heroes, aren't really anything special. They're just predictable scenarios illustrated in comic form. Also, Salagir's blatant fanboying over his version of Bra and Broly is quite jarring and detracts from the already mediocre story, at least in my opinion.

I will give the artists credit for how beautiful some of the artwork looks, as well as how much effort they put into drawing the comic on a consistent basis, but pleasing aesthetics can only take a story so far. It's the same issue I have with Super.

I'm not expecting anything good out of the new Broly movie because I loathe Broly as a character, and from what I've seen of the trailer, it looks like it's going to be another generic and uninspiring story like RoF, but with a far less interesting villain. Heck, when I found out Broly was going to be the villain, my heart sank. Of all the avenues Toei/Toriyama could've explored after the admittedly fantastic world/universe building done by Super, they went with the least interesting option imaginable, and chose to rehash the dullest, most polarising character in Dragon Ball history, just because he's going to rake in a shitload of money. It's not surprising since that's how Toei rolls, but it doesn't make it any less disheartening.
Moment of silence....

Wow, sorry bro. That's tough.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:09 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:I think Dragon Ball Multiverse is incredibly overrated. It, like Super, is all about flashy fanservice over substance, only taken to the extreme. I get that it's a fan comic, but that doesn't mean it can't be more engaging or adventurous than it currently is. Even the alternate outcomes they show, like when the villains win over the heroes, aren't really anything special. They're just predictable scenarios illustrated in comic form. Also, Salagir's blatant fanboying over his version of Bra and Broly is quite jarring and detracts from the already mediocre story, at least in my opinion.

Honestly, I think it was clear that the upcoming movie wouldn’t be especially concerned about entering any new territory the moment it was announced that it would revolve around the origins of the Saiyan race. I was frankly never particularly interested in finding out more about the Saiyan race, the same way I’m not interested in any DC movie that involves Batman. It’s an aspect of the franchise that’s already been milked like crazy. I’d much rather get a movie about the origins of the Gods of Destruction.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:45 pm

Two completely different situations. Batman's origins are well trodden ground but he has plenty of stories that haven't been touched upon in live action. You're comparing that to one aspect of the Saiyans - their origin. Thing is, I don't care that much about long drawn out origins, the gods included.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:45 pm

ABED wrote:Two completely different situations. Batman's origins are well trodden ground but he has plenty of stories that haven't been touched upon in live action. You're comparing that to one aspect of the Saiyans - their origin. Thing is, I don't care that much about long drawn out origins, the gods included.
No, I mean, I’m sick of Batman in general (and if the box office numbers for The LEGO Batman Movie and JL are any indication, so is the general public), just like how I’m sick of all the emphasis that the franchise places on Saiyan lore. I get that the two main characters at this point are both Saiyans, but that doesn’t mean they need to continue making a big deal out of that. We’re well past the point of new Saiyans being a concept that excites me.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:50 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
ABED wrote:Two completely different situations. Batman's origins are well trodden ground but he has plenty of stories that haven't been touched upon in live action. You're comparing that to one aspect of the Saiyans - their origin. Thing is, I don't care that much about long drawn out origins, the gods included.
No, I mean, I’m sick of Batman in general (and if the box office numbers for The LEGO Batman Movie and JL are any indication, so is the general public), just like how I’m sick of all the emphasis that the franchise places on Saiyan lore. I get that the two main characters at this point are both Saiyans, but that doesn’t mean they need to continue making a big deal out of that. We’re well past the point of new Saiyans being a concept that excites me.
Those aren't indications. Lego Batman did well. It didn't need to do huge business but ended up doing 4 times its budget, and it was well liked. It was a success by every measure. JL wasn't a Batman movie. Yes, it had Batman in it, but that's not why people didn't show up.

It's only recently that there's been so much emphasis on Saiyan lore because the series is being built on nostalgia.

There are plenty of great Batman stories to tell on film as there's so much out there you can do. There's only so much you can do with the Saiyans' past that we don't already know.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:14 pm

I prefer Coola than Freeza, people say they have the same personality, but I see him as more rigorous than his brother.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:37 pm

Noah wrote:I prefer Coola than Freeza, people say they have the same personality, but I see him as more rigorous than his brother.
How do they figure they've got the same personality?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:03 pm

ABED wrote:How do they figure they've got the same personality?
Probably because they have similiar appearance and share the same voice actor. I see Coola as different cause unlike Freeza he don't kill his man for every small failure or to just show himself, he seems like the type he would gave them a second chance to try succeed.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:41 am

Noah wrote:
ABED wrote:How do they figure they've got the same personality?
Probably because they have similiar appearance and share the same voice actor. I see Coola as different cause unlike Freeza he don't kill his man for every small failure or to just show himself, he seems like the type he would gave them a second chance to try succeed.
Coola also tries to end things expediently.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:54 pm

Noah wrote:I prefer Coola than Freeza, people say they have the same personality, but I see him as more rigorous than his brother.
I like Cooler more than Frieza as well.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta