What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by Bergamo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:46 pm

Bergamo wrote:
1345521 wrote:
Bergamo wrote: You can make an argument that this kind of makes sense, but I'm arguing that this is bad writing.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't accuse me of things.
I'm not accusing you of jack squat other then you have been ignoring every post I've replied to you WHICH IS A FACT. This is literally the first time you've responded to me, and I was just theorizing of why you have been ignoring me. No accusations. And you've been critizing the anime, and more supportive of the manga for longer then I have on this community which is also A FACT.

I didn't accuse you of anything you haven't been doing.

OH..re read the post. Everything I said from "how do you make up your mind...to.....all they do is just hate" was in response to lord berrus, not you.
I read your posts, I just don't respond unless I have anything to add.
Lord Beerus wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: The whole "Saiyan's grow stronger the more they fight" scenario is stated in the original manga, which Super is a continuation of. The methodology of how it can occur isn't set in stone either.

And what's wrong with using a Toriyama interview? It's no worse than fans using a guidebooks to justify their "battle power" theories or how certain scenarios in the manga, anime(s) or movies are left incredibly ambiguous, confusing or unexplained.
You can make an argument that this kind of makes sense, but I'm arguing that this is bad writing.
Well then... I guess we'll have to agree to disagree and move on from this debate.
I just want to clarify, that I don't have a problem with Goku getting a rage boost, and I actually like 130, but I'm personally adverse to the concept of Ultra Instinct going from what was a unique concept to a more generic power up. Ultra Instinct shouldn't talk or be emotional, but once I accepted the fact that it that's just how it is now, 130 was actually pretty good.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

R. Daneel Olivaw
Not-So-Newbie

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by R. Daneel Olivaw » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:49 pm

Bergamo wrote:I just want to clarify, that I don't have a problem with Goku getting a rage boost, and I actually like 130, but I'm personally adverse to the concept of Ultra Instinct going from what was a unique concept to a more generic power up. Ultra Instinct shouldn't talk or be emotional, but once I accepted the fact that it that's just how it is now, 130 was actually pretty good.
I agree Ultra Instinct shouldn't make Goku directly stronger. A potential explanation could be that when you are fighting normally your mind places limits on how much strength you can exert, but with Ultra Instinct your body will push itself past its limits if need be.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:58 pm

R. Daneel Olivaw wrote:
Bergamo wrote:I just want to clarify, that I don't have a problem with Goku getting a rage boost, and I actually like 130, but I'm personally adverse to the concept of Ultra Instinct going from what was a unique concept to a more generic power up. Ultra Instinct shouldn't talk or be emotional, but once I accepted the fact that it that's just how it is now, 130 was actually pretty good.
I agree Ultra Instinct shouldn't make Goku directly stronger. A potential explanation could be that when you are fighting normally your mind places limits on how much strength you can exert, but with Ultra Instinct your body will push itself past its limits if need be.
Hadn't Goku pushed himself past his body's limit before ultra instinct. He's used Kaioken which puts incredible strain on his body, and he's fired a kamehameha so powerful that it broke his arms.

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:07 pm

Bergamo wrote:
R. Daneel Olivaw wrote:
Hadn't Goku pushed himself past his body's limit before ultra instinct. He's used Kaioken which puts incredible strain on his body, and he's fired a kamehameha so powerful that it broke his arms.
I dissagree. The episode was shinning turd IMO. Literally the episode had nothing going for it but solid animation.
Re-used animation? Check
Cringy dialogue? Check
Mediocre characterization? Check
Jiren back story being trash? Check
Writing = mediocre? Check
Power scailing mediocre? Check
Episode rating: 76/100
The WORST ToP manga chapter equaled this. How is possible that the episode featuring one of the best animations in HISTORY OF THE FRANCHISE was only tied with the worst ToP chapter? Because it was, IMO, shiny turd. Had nothing going for it but beautiful art and animation.

R. Daneel Olivaw
Not-So-Newbie

Post by R. Daneel Olivaw » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:12 pm

1345521 wrote: I dissagree. The episode was shinning turd IMO. Literally the episode had nothing going for it but solid animation.
Re-used animation? Check
Cringy dialogue? Check
The WORST ToP manga chapter equaled this. How is possible that the episode featuring one of the best animations in HISTORY OF THE FRANCHISE was only tied with the worst ToP chapter? Because it was, IMO, shiny turd. Had nothing going for it but beautiful art and animation.
Because the manga never has cringy dialogue or mediocre characterization, right?

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:20 pm

R. Daneel Olivaw wrote:
1345521 wrote: I dissagree. The episode was shinning turd IMO. Literally the episode had nothing going for it but solid animation.
Re-used animation? Check
Cringy dialogue? Check
Because the manga never has cringy dialogue or mediocre characterization, right?
Got to give me examples, only time dialogue was cringe was when vegito said you "laugh like physco" to merged zamsu. And characterization wasn't good back in the universe 6 arc and before when Toyo made everyone have a really bad mouth. Thankfully, he's tonned down on the lanuaguage. Toei however, takes cringe lines and terrible characterization to a WHOLE NEW LEVEL.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:44 pm

1345521 wrote:
R. Daneel Olivaw wrote:
Re-used animation? Check
Cringy dialogue? Check
Got to give me examples, only time dialogue was cringe was when vegito said you "laugh like physco" to merged zamsu. And characterization wasn't good back in the universe 6 arc and before when Toyo made everyone have a really bad mouth. Thankfully, he's tonned down on the lanuaguage. Toei however, takes cringe lines and terrible characterization to a WHOLE NEW LEVEL.
Did you buy the first 2 volumes, because if not, the bad language was because of the bad fan translations you were reading.

Pokesamus217

Post by Pokesamus217 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:49 pm

1345521 wrote:
R. Daneel Olivaw wrote:
Re-used animation? Check
Cringy dialogue? Check
Well there was that one time Vegeta boasted about being the strongest being in existence, Zamasu starting mass genocide based off a YouTube video, Black actually whining about being beaten, and that one time Toyo decided to really hammer in that Goku is an awful father.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:50 pm

Fair enough.

Ultra Instinct is a unique beast of an ability. And once they had Goku to bath in the power of Genki Dama from the U7 to obtain the ability -- and Jiren had been established as powerful as the Hakaishin from U11 -- that in itself opened pandora's box to making Ultra Instinct a unique ability and a pseudo-transformation.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:52 pm

Pokesamus217 wrote:
1345521 wrote:
R. Daneel Olivaw wrote: Because the manga never has cringy dialogue or mediocre characterization, right?
Well there was that one time Vegeta boasted about being the strongest being in existence, Zamasu starting mass genocide based off a YouTube video, Black actually whining about being beaten, and that one time Toyo decided to really hammer in that Goku is an awful father.
Zamas didn't kill people based off a YouTube video. That's not what happened. I also don't see how Black complaining about getting beaten is out of character. Literally every dragon ball villain got flustered when they were getting beaten.
Lord Beerus wrote:
Fair enough.

Ultra Instinct is a unique beast of an ability. And once they had Goku to bath in the power of Genki Dama from the U7 to obtain the ability -- and Jiren had been established as powerful as the Hakaishin from U11 -- that in itself opened pandora's box to making Ultra Instinct a unique ability and a pseudo-transformation.
I hope the manga has a good explanation for ultra instinct, and I hope it does a good job of portraying the form in general. Jiren doesn't seem to strong so far, seeing as how he had to unsuppress to defeat Hit.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:40 pm

We saw it with UI ever since "Omen" debuted. Against Jiren Goku essentially acted like a robot, was a new realm of power to him, then against Kafla it was different he bugun talking and looked like he is being accustomed to the form. So by the time Goku completely masters UI it's by no surprise he's acting and talking like Goku. Goku has to be himself in this state like Whis and Angels presumably are constant in this state but they aren't detached and emotionaless.

The aim for Goku is to reach and be in the state of UI indefinitely.

UI isn't about power, Goku is able to move without thinking that's it. Goku in that state can get stronger, his body may punch a villain but doesn't necessarily mean the punch is strong enough. His body may see a fist coming at him and attempt to dodge but if the fist is coming fast the body may fail to dodge because it's still limited to Goku's speed and what not, just as we saw FP Jiren did indeed land a few punches.

Like with all forms merely reaching it isn't enough you have perfect it, learn to get stronger with it. Just look all the post Freeza arc SS training they did as an example.

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:54 pm

Bergamo wrote:
Pokesamus217 wrote:
1345521 wrote: Got to give me examples, only time dialogue was cringe was when vegito said you "laugh like physco" to merged zamsu. And characterization wasn't good back in the universe 6 arc and before when Toyo made everyone have a really bad mouth. Thankfully, he's tonned down on the lanuaguage. Toei however, takes cringe lines and terrible characterization to a WHOLE NEW LEVEL.
Zamas didn't kill people based off a YouTube video. That's not what happened. I also don't see how Black complaining about getting beaten is out of character. Literally every dragon ball villain got flustered when they were getting beaten.
Lord Beerus wrote:
Fair enough.

I hope the manga has a good explanation for ultra instinct, and I hope it does a good job of portraying the form in general. Jiren doesn't seem to strong so far, seeing as how he had to unsuppress to defeat Hit.
Manga hit is stronger then hit in the anime thoug, by comfortable margin.

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:05 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:We saw it with UI ever since "Omen" debuted. Against Jiren Goku essentially acted like a robot, was a new realm of power to him, then against Kafla it was different he bugun talking and looked like he is being accustomed to the form. So by the time Goku completely masters UI it's by no surprise he's acting and talking like Goku. Goku has to be himself in this state like Whis and Angels presumably are constant in this state but they aren't detached and emotionaless.

The aim for Goku is to reach and be in the state of UI indefinitely.

UI isn't about power, Goku is able to move without thinking that's it. Goku in that state can get stronger, his body may punch a villain but doesn't necessarily mean the punch is strong enough. His body may see a fist coming at him and attempt to dodge but if the fist is coming fast the body may fail to dodge because it's still limited to Goku's speed and what not, just as we saw FP Jiren did indeed land a few punches.

Like with all forms merely reaching it isn't enough you have perfect it, learn to get stronger with it. Just look all the post Freeza arc SS training they did as an example.
No. UI is a power up that's above Blue kaioken x 20. Stop adding layers to a show that go against what the show shows just so you can think more highly of it. If that's what you're doing. UI is a power - up above for ...reasons...that also allow you to fight instinctvly. I agree with your assement that goku should be himself, but why does UI make him look so serious and Non goku like. At least for ssj4, it makes sense that he struggles to be his charmistic self because he's trying to control a form of absolute rage, same with un mastered ssj, but UI has him serious which leads me to then believe when using UI it puts you into some type of trance. Whis has mastered UI but that dosent mean he's constantly using it. Look at how piccolo was able to grab his arm in the anime early on in BoG or when he stepped on dog poo (may have been in the movie only). I think UI puts you into a trance, which makes less sense how goku had that friendship boost in the first place, yikes...supers writing, sucks

Pokesamus217

Post by Pokesamus217 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:56 pm

1345521 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
Pokesamus217 wrote: Well there was that one time Vegeta boasted about being the strongest being in existence, Zamasu starting mass genocide based off a YouTube video, Black actually whining about being beaten, and that one time Toyo decided to really hammer in that Goku is an awful father.
Lord Beerus wrote: Fair enough.

No Anime Hit is stronger, he was able to hold his own against Blue While Manga Hit would of lost if Goku went all out immedeatly, Anime Hit also had a much better performance against Jiren.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:07 pm

Pokesamus217 wrote:
1345521 wrote:
Bergamo wrote: Zamas didn't kill people based off a YouTube video. That's not what happened. I also don't see how Black complaining about getting beaten is out of character. Literally every dragon ball villain got flustered when they were getting beaten.

No Anime Hit is stronger, he was able to hold his own against Blue While Manga Hit would of lost if Goku went all out immedeatly, Anime Hit also had a much better performance against Jiren.
Manga Hit is physically as strong as Goku and he was able to deal damage against Jiren. He was also able to make Jiren unsuppress himself, so I'd say he's stronger.

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:18 pm

Pokesamus217 wrote:
1345521 wrote:
Bergamo wrote: Zamas didn't kill people based off a YouTube video. That's not what happened. I also don't see how Black complaining about getting beaten is out of character. Literally every dragon ball villain got flustered when they were getting beaten.

Facepalms...
why do toyotaro pessimist all have the SAME ARGUMENTS that have been DEBUNKED so many times? Sighs... Alright.

Hit in the manga grew stronger then what he was in the universe 6 arc for the very reason of him feeling "defeated" against son goku. So to argue hit strength in the manga using the arc of before he got stronger is useless. You hVe to go by hits strndgth in the ToP. Where it's confirmed he's on the level of ssj blue mastered tier, which is about equal to merged zamsu. Hit could arguably be stronger then mssj blue at full power as well since goku and jiren were shocked at the power hit was admitting. So manga hit = mssj blue = merged zamsu > ssj blue

Now let's look at anime. Anime hit didn't do that great of an job against ssj blue. Once goku saw through his TS, goku started to get the edge on Hit by a pretty comfortable amount. Hit then had to use the "IMPROVEMENT" Technique (which dosent increase RAW STRENGTH but adapts his ability and empowers it) so where he can up his Time Skip .5 seconds which gave him the edge. Then against kaioken, he improved his TS to 1 second so he could combat it. In terms of raw strndgth, anime hit wasn't much better then hit in the manga for the ToP. Ssj god wasn't a thing for toei back then so I can't really gauge hit strength level. In the anime he's below ssj blue, in the manga at MAX power he was just above ssj god tier.

Now with that said, AT MAX: you could place hit at ssj blue tier (honestly I wouldn't even say that since he got foddered by dyspo) Which obviously is a joke to MSSJ blue tier.

Now I'm not saying manga hit is more powerful then anime hit since anime hit has greater hades, but in terms of raw strndgth? Manga hit is much stronger then anime hit. Anime hit has just greater haxes.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:32 pm

I like the manga in fact I liked more how I manage the zamasu arc compared to the anime but this time I really feel disappointed the point of having 80 fighters is to avail the potential, giving them considerable power so they can be up to the task and with the Weak characters give them skills which can compensate for their lack of power and different types of fights. Relationships between the universes should also be formed showing interesting interactions between the warriors that is basically part of the appeal of the TOP. It was that but not ... the namekians do not meet piccolo, caulifla does not meet goku and hit is defeated without defeating anyone ... and anilaza is defeated with a kick no .. sorry but all that lost is too much 4 universes went without more but although 1 of them could show more... but nothing the fights are not creative and very short I'll just say that the drawing has improved a lot but as regards this arc I prefer the anime version for a lot

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:20 pm

1345521 wrote:The WORST ToP manga chapter equaled this. How is possible that the episode featuring one of the best animations in HISTORY OF THE FRANCHISE was only tied with the worst ToP chapter? Because it was, IMO, shiny turd. Had nothing going for it but beautiful art and animation.
You say "How is this possible" as though your arbitrary episode rating is some kind of objective fact. You just kind of make up ratings and use the made up rating to compare it to your made up ratings of the manga and try to convey that as the anime objectively doing a poor job. It is extremely subjective. Many people, including myself, consider 130 the greatest episode in the entire franchise and you have no right to say that anybody who says so is wrong. It had actual depth to the fight beyond the physical aspects of it.

Moving on, personally I think that Toyotaro did a decent job handling the BoG and Universe 6 Tournament arcs, but the Zamasu Arc and the Universe Survival Arc have been extremely poorly executed so far. The only thing Toyotaro did better than the anime in those two arcs IMO were:

1. Explained how Black's "zenkais" worked better/
2. Explained how Ribrianne's power depends on her emotional state as far as where she considers her beauty/love to be at during that particular time.

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:39 pm

PFM18 wrote:
1345521 wrote:The WORST ToP manga chapter equaled this. How is possible that the episode featuring one of the best animations in HISTORY OF THE FRANCHISE was only tied with the worst ToP chapter? Because it was, IMO, shiny turd. Had nothing going for it but beautiful art and animation.
You say "How is this possible" as though your arbitrary episode rating is some kind of objective fact. You just kind of make up ratings and use the made up rating to compare it to your made up ratings of the manga and try to convey that as the anime objectively doing a poor job. It is extremely subjective. Many people, including myself, consider 130 the greatest episode in the entire franchise and you have no right to say that anybody who says so is wrong. It had actual depth to the fight beyond the physical aspects of it.

Moving on, personally I think that Toyotaro did a decent job handling the BoG and Universe 6 Tournament arcs, but the Zamasu Arc and the Universe Survival Arc have been extremely poorly executed so far. The only thing Toyotaro did better than the anime in those two arcs IMO were:

1. Explained how Black's "zenkais" worked better/
2. Explained how Ribrianne's power depends on her emotional state as far as where she considers her beauty/love to be at during that particular time.
130 is the best episode in the HISTORY OF THE FRANCHISE? Alright mr. Pfm, you think that, You think episode 130 is the "best episode on the frnachise..."
While I think that episode is tied with the WORST manga chapter in the ToP.
Agree to dissagree.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:56 pm

PFM18 wrote:Moving on, personally I think that Toyotaro did a decent job handling the BoG and Universe 6 Tournament arcs, but the Zamasu Arc and the Universe Survival Arc have been extremely poorly executed so far.
I have more or less the same opinion.