Why do you think kami never hung out with the namekians when they were on Earth?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Why do you think kami never hung out with the namekians when they were on Earth?

Post by Ssjcell » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:32 pm

I would think he would like to hang out with the nameks when they were on Earth. I mean his whole life he didn't have any interactions with any namekians. Why do you think this was the case if it was at all?

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Why do you think kami never hung out with the namekians when they were on Earth?

Post by Lionel » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:04 pm

The most simplistic answer is that it held no relevancy to the plot. Kami is a haggard old relic from the Dragon Ball classic era whose most important purpose is keeping the Dragon Balls active -- even Piccolo candidly admits to this. It's really sad when you think about the position that Kami holds and all of the historical knowledge of world events that he would have accrued. Sadly, none of that matters in this series, despite Piccolo's intelligence supposedly being enhanced and appreciated after merging with the individual.

If you're speaking in terms of in-universe explanation, it's never stated what Kami did during this period. For all we know he could have spent an extended period of time with them, perhaps even had them up at the palace. We're not privy to this information because, again, it doesn't hold much tangible value to the narrative at the time. The most we saw regarding the Earth's Namekian population and their reaction about seeing their brethren is what we saw through Piccolo's interactions with them and his expressed reasoning for not going with the others to their new planetary home.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Why do you think kami never hung out with the namekians when they were on Earth?

Post by Ssjcell » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:38 pm

Yeah maybe he did hang out with the namekians it's possible ... I just think that the manga could have shown him putting with the guys or possibly learn new techniques with the fellas you know namekians stuff

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:38 pm

I imagine he did off screen
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:15 pm

I got the impression that he hates himself, remember when he blamed himself for creating the Dragon Balls and wanted to die with Piccolo? I think that self loathing still existed in him (forgive me if he actually said this in Dragon Ball Z, but I saw that show a long time ago.) and willingly excluded himself from talking to his people because he was still living in shame.

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Angelus » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:09 pm

He's probably too culturally different to hang out with them anyways lol

Imagine a white-washed Asian that grew up in a rich city neighborhood try to get along with pro-communist rebel farmers in Vietnam or something :lol: