Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by DHM211 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:04 pm

Here's a comparison between the various releases if anyone needs further proof that this is the best DB has ever looked.

[spoiler]Funi Single DVD - Native 480p

Funi Movie remastered 5 pack DVD - Native 480p

Funi remastered triple feature Blu-ray - Native 1080p

Toei Dragon Box single DVD - Native 480p

Toei Remastered Amazon WEBRIP - Native 1040p

Toei Remastered Amazon WEBRIP(with minor Light enhancement and minor desaturation) - Native 1040p
Image[/spoiler]

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by KBABZ » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:30 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: Nah, do all 19. One box containing the first 9, the next containing the remaining 10.
That would actually make a complete "Dragon Ball + Z" Movie Boxset considering BoG and RoF were billed as DBZ and the new Broly one will be the first of the Super lineup. Heck chuck in A Hero's Legacy and you've got GT too!
The GT special is part of the GT series, it's not a movie. If they remaster that, it'll be part of a series remaster, just like the two Z specials would be.

And of course, there is the question of if Toei actually still has the film elements necessary to assemble a HD master of the GT special, given they used the videotape master of the special on the Dragon Box.
This has always confused me actually with anime and OVAs and stuff. What makes it a Special and not a film? They're usually a bit shorter but they certainly feel like movie productions a lot of the time with higher quality animation and music composed just for them (and outside of Japan most of the movies were never screened either and went straight to DVD).
DHM211 wrote:Here's a comparison between the various releases if anyone needs further proof that this is the best DB has ever looked.

Toei Remastered Amazon WEBRIP(with minor Light enhancement and minor desaturation) - Native 1040p
Image[/spoiler]
Nice dude! I love the use of a single frame for all of them; I've always felt that there should be a sort of "standard screencap" for this sort of thing for the anime, so you can compare UU and Kai and Levels and Dragon Box Z and all that.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:33 pm

KBABZ wrote:
DHM211 wrote:Here's a comparison between the various releases if anyone needs further proof that this is the best DB has ever looked.

Image[/spoiler]
Nice dude! I love the use of a single frame for all of them; I've always felt that there should be a sort of "standard screencap" for this sort of thing for the anime, so you can compare UU and Kai and Levels and Dragon Box Z and all that.
Thanks mate, always enjoyed doing these types of comparisons.

Heres some screenshots of Dead Zone for anyone interested.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:18 pm

DBox:

Double Feature:

Netflix/Amazon:

Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

kudo6000
Beyond Newbie

Post by kudo6000 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:41 pm

Honestly. I just wish we were in the timeline where Toei released the remastered home-releases of the anime and its films with enhanced audio as impressive as the "Broadcast Audio" that was edited and released by fans awhile back.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:44 pm

Man I forgot how big everyone's ears were back then.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:01 am

For anyone wondering what the actual series would look like with this remastering process, the first 3 minutes of Coolers Revenge uses 16mm film.

Kai for Comparison

Overall, while I prefer the grainy look of this new remaster to that of the clean look of Kai, I far prefer Kai's color pallete. Color correcting this new remaster to match Kai's colors gives me my ideal picture quality.

(The greens are a little different but its pretty accurate).

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:41 am

DHM211 wrote:For anyone wondering what the actual series would look like with this remastering process, the first 3 minutes of Coolers Revenge uses 16mm film.

[spoiler]Image

Kai for Comparison

Overall, while I prefer the grainy look of this new remaster to that of the clean look of Kai, I far prefer Kai's color pallete. Color correcting this new remaster to match Kai's colors gives me my ideal picture quality.

(The greens are a little different but its pretty accurate).[/spoiler]
Oh man. That 16mm footage looks incredible. Give me the series like that, and I'll die happy. :D

Honestly, I prefer the darker palette of the Toei master. Kai looks nice, but the grittier look and feel of the Toei master is much more to my liking. :)
KBABZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: That would actually make a complete "Dragon Ball + Z" Movie Boxset considering BoG and RoF were billed as DBZ and the new Broly one will be the first of the Super lineup. Heck chuck in A Hero's Legacy and you've got GT too!
The GT special is part of the GT series, it's not a movie. If they remaster that, it'll be part of a series remaster, just like the two Z specials would be.

And of course, there is the question of if Toei actually still has the film elements necessary to assemble a HD master of the GT special, given they used the videotape master of the special on the Dragon Box.
This has always confused me actually with anime and OVAs and stuff. What makes it a Special and not a film? They're usually a bit shorter but they certainly feel like movie productions a lot of the time with higher quality animation and music composed just for them (and outside of Japan most of the movies were never screened either and went straight to DVD).
They're specials because they were produced as part of the series on 16mm film to air on TV, followed by their cinetape audio masters being junked.
The movies were produced as standalones on 35mm film to show in cinemas, and their cinetape audio masters being kept for future use.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

EricM
Beyond Newbie

Post by EricM » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:30 am

I've hated the overcooked contrast look of the Funimation releases for what fees like decades. Good riddance forever.
Grain is beautiful.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:20 am

DHM211 wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Those are fucking PHENOMENAL. I need these in my life :cry:
If think those look good, check out these from Path to Power.
[spoiler]I slightly enhanced the brightness.
Image[/spoiler]
Good lord, these look incredible. Path to Power has always been the pinnacle of the series for me in terms of art/animation. I need these soon. :)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:08 pm

So thanks to the magic of... magic, I'm able to view this stuff too! And apparently this applies to the trailers! Below I've compared a shot from the intro that was used in the trailer for Curse of the Blood Rubies, although another trailer for Dead Zone used a lot from the first DBZ intro (but I can't compare that one as I don't have any Dragon Box Z's). If anyone thinks OG Dragon Ball can't be remastered in HD, this proves them wrong. I particularly like how much better the newer one is able to handle the glow of the sun!

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:51 pm

KBABZ wrote:So thanks to the magic of... magic, I'm able to view this stuff too. And apparently this applies to the trailers! Below I've compared a shot from the intro a trailer used for Curse of the Blood Rubies, although another trailer for Dead Zone used a lot from the first DBZ intro (but I can't compare that one as I don't have any Dragon Box Z's). If anyone thinks OG Dragon Ball can't be remastered in HD, this proves them wrong. I particularly like how much better the newer one is able to handle the glow of the sun!

Keep in mind all these movies are on 35mm film. The first episode of Dragon Ball was released online in HD and while it looks good, it's not anywhere near this good.
[spoiler]Image

Color Corrected:
Image[/spoiler]

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:04 pm

DHM211 wrote: Keep in mind all these movies are on 35mm film. The first episode of Dragon Ball was released online in HD and while it looks good, it's not anywhere near this good.
Where Have you seen episode 001 in HD? do you have a screenshot?

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:08 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
DHM211 wrote: Keep in mind all these movies are on 35mm film. The first episode of Dragon Ball was released online in HD and while it looks good, it's not anywhere near this good.
I posted it above in the spoiler tab.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:15 pm

you have seen them yourself on amazon prime HD? or it's from the one posted on a piracy website supposed to be a hd remaster?

fabrebatalla18

Post by fabrebatalla18 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:43 pm

Nah, dont exist this, is a fake upscaled, anyway, in Funimation web have DB movie 01 in HD and 4:3 and looks very nice the opening. Same for the Zima Bluray.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:58 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
There's a lot of misinformation that's suddenly been thrown around here!!

1. Yes, these movies are on 35mm, but the Dragon Ball opening was only assembled on 16mm. The 35mm film that this screenshot comes from is essentially the analogue equvalent of an upscale; the 16mm Dragon Ball intro was printed onto 35mm film. So the 35mm screenshot you refer to is actually pretty much how it'd look if they did a proper HD master of OG Dragon Ball. Only difference is the image would be slightly sharper and less grainy, since it'll have gained a generation or two of grain and image softness from being put onto 35mm. The difference will be negligible, but it does mean that an authentic HD master of OG Dragon Ball would probably look better than this, if only slightly(Though it'd also be full-frame, which IMO is a massive improvement, so...).

2. That online "HD" video of Dragon Ball episode 1 is a known fake; it was discussed before, and is quite clearly just the Dragon Box footage, upscaled. Some guy on a piracy site seems to have put it up in an attempt to fool people into thinking OG Dragon Ball had a HD master being worked on nearly a year ago. It had a lot of us(Including myself, initially) fooled, but ultimately it was a clear deception. For one thing, why the hell would Toei have only done episode 1, and why would that get put that on -- as the uploader claimed -- Netflix Japan alongside the SD episodes 2-153? (Checking Netfix Japan also yielded the result that the show -- and that episode in particular -- only streams in SD)
It quickly turned out that this was definitely Dragon Box footage. The question that remained for a while was whether the Dragon Box masters had been done in 720p, and it was only now surfacing, but that quickly went away; it was a fairly competent upscale, but an upscale nonetheless, and the idea that it's authentic 720p fell apart under not a lot of scrutiny.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:42 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:
DHM211 wrote: Where Have you seen episode 001 in HD? do you have a screenshot?
There's a lot of misinformation that's suddenly been thrown around here!!

1. Yes, these movies are on 35mm, but the Dragon Ball opening was only assembled on 16mm. The 35mm film that this screenshot comes from is essentially the analogue equvalent of an upscale; the 16mm Dragon Ball intro was printed onto 35mm film. So the 35mm screenshot you refer to is actually pretty much how it'd look if they did a proper HD master of OG Dragon Ball. Only difference is the image would be slightly sharper and less grainy, since it'll have gained a generation or two of grain and image softness from being put onto 35mm. The difference will be negligible, but it does mean that an authentic HD master of OG Dragon Ball would probably look better than this, if only slightly(Though it'd also be full-frame, which IMO is a massive improvement, so...).

2. That online "HD" video of Dragon Ball episode 1 is a known fake; it was discussed before, and is quite clearly just the Dragon Box footage, upscaled. Some guy on a piracy site seems to have put it up in an attempt to fool people into thinking OG Dragon Ball had a HD master being worked on nearly a year ago. It had a lot of us(Including myself, initially) fooled, but ultimately it was a clear deception. For one thing, why the hell would Toei have only done episode 1, and why would that get put that on -- as the uploader claimed -- Netflix Japan alongside the SD episodes 2-153? (Checking Netfix Japan also yielded the result that the show -- and that episode in particular -- only streams in SD)
It quickly turned out that this was definitely Dragon Box footage. The question that remained for a while was whether the Dragon Box masters had been done in 720p, and it was only now surfacing, but that quickly went away; it was a fairly competent upscale, but an upscale nonetheless, and the idea that it's authentic 720p fell apart under not a lot of scrutiny.
Regardless, weren't the openings rescanned onto 35mm film? I recall around the time the level blu-rays came out people were saying Funi used the 35mm opening from Dead Zone, for all the episodes.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:49 pm

DHM211 wrote:Regardless, weren't the openings rescanned onto 35mm film? I recall around the time the level blu-rays came out people were saying Funi used the 35mm opening from Dead Zone, for all the episodes.
I believe the first Z opening and the first ending were originally assembled in their textless form on 35mm, since they were going to be using those for the first Z movie, which they knew very early on. While doing this, they also ensured it was framed such that it could be cropped down to 1.85:1 widescreen. DB did neither of these things; it was assembled on 16mm, so it had to be up-converted from 16 to 35 for use in the movies, and they had to move each shot up or down to fit okay in the widescreen frame, which is why you'll see these odd black bars at the top and bottom of the frame if you watch Sleeping Princess from the 2005 DVD single.

Since Funi's 35mm film master of Z movie 1 is textless, they dropped the opening from that in as the opening for all the Level episodes, as you say.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:44 pm

Thé known Fake of ep1 isnt the only one all 153 were done in à very close tracker that i won t mention and z ep are releasing Somewhere else i Know the encoder that s why i said It before as i was having already Seen his fois work before...as i agréé that It wasnt bad anyway just by watching line Its easy tout notice that sharpness is artificial .and not natural Line like you Can see on other series...so It s not yet à new scan starting tout replace old one