Unshō Ishizuka, second voice of Mr. Satan, has passed away due to esophageal cancer.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Theophrastus
Regular

Unshō Ishizuka, second voice of Mr. Satan, has passed away due to esophageal cancer.

Post by Theophrastus » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:36 am

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... 67/.135579

RIP. He voiced so many beloved characters.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Re: Unshō Ishizuka, second voice of Mr. Satan, has passed away due to esophageal cancer.

Post by Tian » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:39 am

Professor Oak! NOOOO! :cry:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Unshō Ishizuka, second voice of Mr. Satan, has passed away due to esophageal cancer.

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:14 am

Esophageal cancer? It's a real shame to have him gone considering it was rather preventable...

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:34 am

R.I.P :cry:
GT Fighter

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:19 am

Tian wrote:Professor Oak! NOOOO! :cry:
While his Satan was a good replacement it still made me miss Daisuke Gori. That being said he really grew into the rol and was a more than worthy successor. In a strange way Satan's slimmer Super redesign helped with this.

His Oak was absolutely amazing though as was the fact that could both handle those deeper voices as well the lighter voices like Oak. In a strange coincidence I watched Pokemon yesterday and Onix' roar reminded me a lot of Gori's deeper voices in DragonBall. I did some research and found out Ishizuka performed both. An amazing actor who surely will be missed.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:26 am

The really sad part (in terms of roles that is - the saddest part is the loss of his life period :cry: ) is that really, we JUST got him as Mr. Satan. Gouri's tragic passing was only back in 2010, so we've basically just had Ishizuka in Kai, Battle of Gods, Super, and a handful of games. To think that we're already going to be moving on to another passing of the torch so quickly after is just...hard to process.

Looking at his list of roles, he was also older Joseph Joestar for the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure franchise too, aww man. Talk about an iconic role.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:46 am

Goddamn... that's just terrible.

Another prolific and talented seiyuu departs us.

Rest in peace, Jet Black. :(

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:47 am

Dang. I just recently read up about this guy, too, surprised that he voiced one of my favorite Pokémon (Onix).

May he rest in peace.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:30 am

R.I.P :cry:

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:44 am

Loved his performances. His voice was instantly recognisable. Joseph Joestar, Heihachi Mishima, Mr Satan, Zabuza, Kizaru, Jet Black and so many others. Rest in peace.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:13 am

RIP. Sad that he was only 67/68.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:43 am

RIP to him. That's sad.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:53 pm

I can't believe it. I absolutely loved this man's voice. Not only do I wholeheartedly believe that his performance as Mr. Satan was fantastic and honored Daisuke Gori-san's legacy, but I also enjoyed him in other roles. His Larry in Zyuohger was great. I've only recently watched through Stardust Crusaders, so his legendary Joseph performance is still fresh in my mind. He was also Papa Dino in Banana Fish, which is a show I'm addicted to right now. Ishizuka-san's work has made me smile so many times.

God bless to you and your loved ones, Ishizuka-san, and I hope you rest in peace.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:43 pm

That’s unfortunate to hear. While many were likely of the opinion that Daisuke Gori was the one true Mr. Satan, Ushō Ishizuka was an honorable replacement. May he be remembered.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:10 pm

Oh, no.

The last recording of his I heard was the recent season of Gintama where his character Kozenigata was doing pig squeals. His voice was strong as ever, even then. I had no idea he was battling cancer.

He had a wonderful voice to listen to, powerful but also agile enough for emotion and different pitches. My favourite role of his was the inimatable senior Joseph Joestar.

Thank you Mr Ishizuka. May your soul rest in peace.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:10 pm

RIP Old Man Joseph Joestar
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:31 pm

Rest In Peace, Ishizuka. His role as Joseph in Stardust Crusaders is one of my favorite performances in anime, tragic that cancer took another victim.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:02 pm

Damn shame. Voiced a lot of cool and funny characters in both anime and games

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:27 pm

Damn I loved his role as Joseph Joestar. Rest in Peace

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:45 pm

May his soul Rest in peace, it is quite sad to see another VA pass away.
Last edited by Spider-Man on Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.