Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by PFM18 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:20 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote:So, how maximum is Broly's power in this movie going to be?
About 45% of Roshi’s full power is my prediction.
[spoiler]I disagree. I think once he goes Legendary and is the most maximum, I think he may be able to attain 5% of Roshi's full power but I am not sure that may be stretching it. My prediction is that Daishinkan learned everything he knows from Roshi and he has been pretending to be a mere mortal this whole time.[/spoiler]

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:36 pm

Do you guys think Jiren will be mentioned as a point of comparison with this new version of Broly?

I mean, he WAS the strongest guy ever fought EVER in the series thus far.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:01 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
emperior wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: They never said the storyboard was 3 hours long. They said the movie was supposed to be 90 minutes but Toriyama’s script was twice that so they had to cut some stuff. They even referenced that in the first DBMFL interview.
It’s not like they could know how long the script would have turned out without storyboarding first. They also said they wanted to bring in as much of what Toriyama wrote as possible. Because, frankly, I am sure that theoretically they could fit the script into 90 minutes if they wanted to, but then they would have to make everything happen faster, with no room for some suspense or long action sequences.
So they started to trim the storyboard with the goal of delivering almost everything Toriyama wrote down, and also increased the movie’s length a little.
I dont remember them saying they want to bring in as much of what Toriyama wrote as possible but that clearly doesn’t mean as much considering they’re still dead set on keeping this movie around 90 minutes. But you do bring up a good point about how you might not be able to tell how long a script is in minutes if it hasn’t been storyboarded.
Interview translation came out, and yeah, Nagamine did say that the initial storyboard for the script was double the length of the desired run time, just for clarification.
With the exception of action scenes, we’re adapting his screenplay pretty much as-is. However, though we want to be as faithful to it as possible, unfortunately the allotted run time is short. When we first made storyboards for the entire screenplay, a movie that was supposed to only be 90 minutes turned out to be double that length. Enough for two whole movies (laughs). Trying to forcefully condense that much content together would make it feel like a clip show, which would be boring, so I consulted with the producers and everyone else involved to whittle down the scenes and make it the proper length. We’re adamant about delivering as much of Toriyama’s script to viewers as possible, so we were able to extend the run time a little bit.
Full interview with Nagamine is out, what do people think of it?

I think its very promising, and am looking forward to how Nagamine translates this to the big screen.

I particularly enjoyed Nagamine's statements about changing up the visuals of the franchise. To me, that is very exciting, love the pioneering approach they seem to have adopted for the films visuals.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:44 pm

I noticed the director stated what some has said, making the movie too long would be boring. So he cut down scenes while asking for a little more screen time.

He also stated that Goku is only close to the level of the gods and Vegeta is trying to hawk. This hurts the "Let's overthrow Beerus already" squad. :lol:

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:52 pm

I tell the animators to not be concerned about what was previously established, and I want them to draw how they feel using current techniques. If there’s inconsistency between how Dragon Ball has looked before and how we’re presenting it now, then I think it’s best to get rid of those past conceptions. Goku broke past his limits and evolved to Ultra Instinct, so we should follow suit and have the look evolve as well. At any rate, I want Dragon Ball to utilize the latest advancements and be on the cutting edge of action series.. We’re not treating the series as something untouchable, and we want to create our own enjoyable Dragon Ball story.
Nagamine's saving Dragon Ball. I love that he's encouraging animators to do their own thing. That's such a huge 180 from Yamamuro who would correct the hell outta everyone and made sure that Dragon Ball would look the way he wanted it to look.

On another topic, I've been wondering who will do the main theme for this movie. If Resurrection 'F's announcements are anything to go by, we should be getting the announcement of the artist that's going to be doing the theme for the film around next month. Any suggestions as to who they'd want to do the theme? I just hope it's not another idol group because I didn't like Pledge of 'Z' at all. I would love to hear something from a band like Asian Kung-Fu Generation or Flow, but my dream theme for this movie would be from Jam Project.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:00 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:Do you guys think Jiren will be mentioned as a point of comparison with this new version of Broly?

I mean, he WAS the strongest guy ever fought EVER in the series thus far.
Probably so, Jiren is now the barometer for "the most strongest rival we have ever faced".

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:33 am

Miracles wrote:I noticed the director stated what some has said, making the movie too long would be boring. So he cut down scenes while asking for a little more screen time.

He also stated that Goku is only close to the level of the gods and Vegeta is trying to hawk. This hurts the "Let's overthrow Beerus already" squad. :lol:
He was referring to Goku without Ultra Instinct (cuz there's already a guide confirming that Beerus got surpassed by the 3rd Omen, who Jiren beat). Beerus fanboys are in denial. He isn't even the strongest GoD in the anime (Whis said he lost an arm wrestling match to another GoD, who was also said to be weaker than Jiren).
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:39 am

Does anybody else believe that the likes of Yamoshi, Shallot and Cumber would make at least cameos in the new film? Possibly revealed as the ancient ancestors of Goku, Vegeta and Broly respectively, since Toriyama said that this film would deal with destiny after all.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:46 am

ricky84 wrote:Does anybody else believe that the likes of Yamoshi, Shallot and Cumber would make at least cameos in the new film?
Of course not. They've already proven that they are still afraid to leave the safe zone, so they won't make Yamoshi, Cumber and Shallot to appear at all.

But let's say we live in a cool world which stuff may happen: Yeah, they could appear. Even if it turns out to be a cameo, depending on the execution, they would certainly expand upon the lore and myth of the Saiyans in an epic way and contribute to a more depth story if the events to which they are related to also appear.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:09 pm

I feel like this movie is going to be stuck in some in-between bizarro continuity space. As in, I feel they may borrow from both the anime and manga, and we won't see things like Blue Evolution for Vegeta or KK+SSJB for Goku. There is no "true" Dragon Ball Super by Akira Toriyama, which I find interesting, so he could completely deviate from both and create so many inconsistencies, and I'm sure nobody developing the movie would bother to correct it.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:30 pm

ricky84 wrote:Does anybody else believe that the likes of Yamoshi, Shallot and Cumber would make at least cameos in the new film? Possibly revealed as the ancient ancestors of Goku, Vegeta and Broly respectively, since Toriyama said that this film would deal with destiny after all.
Yamoshi has the best chances of at least being mentioned by name. Cumber is non-canon, so does Shallot - they're video-games characters.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:49 pm

Green_Goblin wrote:
ricky84 wrote:Does anybody else believe that the likes of Yamoshi, Shallot and Cumber would make at least cameos in the new film? Possibly revealed as the ancient ancestors of Goku, Vegeta and Broly respectively, since Toriyama said that this film would deal with destiny after all.
Yamoshi has the best chances of at least being mentioned by name. Cumber is non-canon, so does Shallot - they're video-games characters.
Speaking of video game characters, I do hope that Chronoa (Supreme Kai of Time) ends up in the Super series at some point. Though the way they ended the Trunks arc could be a setup for her recruiting him (along with Mai).

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:54 pm

Green_Goblin wrote:
eh, if this movie has shown anything, anyone can be retroactively fit into canon, and considering Cumber apparently has met a previous ssg, I think it's not too far out for them to reference him as one of the evil saiyans who fought Yamoshi if they get another short flashback or whatever

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:10 pm

ricky84 wrote:He was referring to Goku without Ultra Instinct (cuz there's already a guide confirming that Beerus got surpassed by the 3rd Omen, who Jiren beat). Beerus fanboys are in denial. He isn't even the strongest GoD in the anime (Whis said he lost an arm wrestling match to another GoD, who was also said to be weaker than Jiren).
You are factually wrong from A to Z. It's obvious the quote was referring to UI Goku, otherwise Vegeta wouldn't need to try and desperately catch up. Also, the magazine only questions if UI [the MUI labeled by the fans] is stronger than Beerus never outright claim that it is. And lol at you thinking arm wrestling means someone is stronger, it's untrue, that's why Beerus differentiated that he only lost once in arm wrestling, not combat.
Last edited by Miracles on Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:13 pm

Cumber is the worst saiyan character ever introduced in anything official, maybe worse than Kale. And that Planet Prison Saga is dreadful.

I'd rather nothing related to that ever touches Super.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:48 pm

Miracles wrote:
ricky84 wrote:He was referring to Goku without Ultra Instinct (cuz there's already a guide confirming that Beerus got surpassed by the 3rd Omen, who Jiren beat). Beerus fanboys are in denial. He isn't even the strongest GoD in the anime (Whis said he lost an arm wrestling match to another GoD, who was also said to be weaker than Jiren).
You are factually wrong from A to Z. It's obvious the quote was referring to UI Goku, otherwise Vegeta wouldn't need to try and desperately catch up. Also, the magazine only questions if UI [the MUI labeled by the fans] is stronger than Beerus never outright claim that it is. And lol at you thinking arm wrestling means someone is stronger, it's untrue, that's why Beerus differentiated that he only lost once in arm wrestling, not combat.
The Omen was shown in the guide's picture and the dialogue clearly referenced episode 129 (where only the Omen showed up).

Overpowering someone in anything all-out means they are stronger in Dragonball.

We already have a guide that says Broly > God of Destruction level and Jiren was said many times to be > Gods of Destruction in general (not just Belmod like the downplayers say) Stop being in denial.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:48 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Cumber is the worst saiyan character ever introduced in anything official, maybe worse than Kale. And that Planet Prison Saga is dreadful.

I'd rather nothing related to that ever touches Super.
How? Cumber hasn't done anything offensively bad as a character.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:51 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
lancerman wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote: That is probably the most ignorant thing anyone has ever said to me on Kanzenshuu.

Come to think of it, I did watch Future Trunks kill a villain that is 1000x stronger than him by gathering energy into his sword from people on various planets. They basically combined the Genki Dama and Future Trunks slicing Freeza idea into one attack, while ignoring how fast the villain was compared to Future Trunks. Completely unoriginal! But... you know... I’m ill-informed because I haven’t watched the entirety of DBSuper and I’m totally stuck in the past.

Am I supposed to watch RoF to have an appreciation of the same Freeza but colored gold with powers stronger than Super Saiyan Bluper God Saiyan?
You’re criticizing the quality of a series you admitted to not watching anything relevant for since the revival.
I don’t need to subscribe to DBSuper, BOG, or RoF to judge whether it is good or bad. It’s the same reason I don’t finish watching stupid movies all the way through because the acting or story makes me cringe.
You need to at least watch it. If you don't, your opinion really is one of ignorance and shouldn't be taken seriously. Hell even if I watched a film and hated half of it, it could have an incredibly satisfying ending that pays it off to the point where it goes from terrible to serviceable.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:39 pm

ricky84 wrote:
Miracles wrote:
The Omen was shown in the guide's picture and the dialogue clearly referenced episode 129 (where only the Omen showed up).

We already have a guide that says Broly > God of Destruction level and Jiren was said many times to be > Gods of Destruction in general (not just Belmod like the downplayers say) Stop being in denial.
Dbs has no official guide so far. :problem:
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:52 pm

ricky84 wrote:The Omen was shown in the guide's picture and the dialogue clearly referenced episode 129 (where only the Omen showed up).

Well the facts will prove who is in denial. The Broly movie guide ASKS if Broly is stronger than a god of destruction...

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1025416473068466177?

And no, arm wrestling doesn't mean you are stronger, DB is about battle power in combat, hence why Beerus made sure to note that in both anime and manga, he never lost in combat but only arm wrestling which doesn't prove who is stronger.

Also that magazine which asks if UI is stronger than Beerus wasn't even in the anime especially when Beerus was smiling when Goku went MUI. Neither confirm anything.