What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:01 am

Not much to say now except what does the manga have going for it now that "better power scaling" is out the window? Honestly, I'm drawing a blank.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by ricky84 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:28 am

Toyotaro is such a horrible writer that it is hilarious. I don't like GT but it is way better than Toyotaro's manga, especially when it comes to powerscaling.

There is no way anyone could defend how Roshi is doing in the manga's ToP. In the anime's ToP, it was said that Frost was holding back to avoid killing Roshi and getting disqualified while Roshi relied on his skill and experience to deal with foes stronger than him. But the manga's ToP is just ridiculous, with other nonsense like Gohan being any kind of challenge to Kefla when we all know she should have just one-shot him like she could in the anime.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Regular

Post by AvatarReiko » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:47 am

ricky84 wrote:Toyotaro is such a horrible writer that it is hilarious. I don't like GT but it is way better than Toyotaro's manga, especially when it comes to powerscaling.

There is no way anyone could defend how Roshi is doing in the manga's ToP. In the anime's ToP, it was said that Frost was holding back to avoid killing Roshi and getting disqualified while Roshi relied on his skill and experience to deal with foes stronger than him. But the manga's ToP is just ridiculous, with other nonsense like Gohan being any kind of challenge to Kefla when we all know she should have just one-shot him like she could in the anime.
Is this the first time Toyo has done something like or wrote poorly?

How does he compare to the guys that do Dragon Ball multiverse?

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:30 am

You people are so cartoonish. Making judgments even though spoilers are devoid of context. Lol.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:34 am

Kataphrut wrote:Not much to say now except what does the manga have going for it now that "better power scaling" is out the window? Honestly, I'm drawing a blank.
It's not like his art is good too. Very mediocre.

Goku going UI "Omen" in the manga was so so underwhelming in terms of how it happened and how it's drawn. I'm so glad this manga wasn't our first exposure to it.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:41 am

IMHO The Tournament of Power Arc was the 3rd weakest in all of Super (only to lose to the "movies retellings", even below the filler of the "Copy-Vegeta"); No creativity (show me one NEW character people now love out of the 70 we got there, none of them even had a cool technique that sticked after - just rehashing of old and non-canon ideas), power up wankings for no clear or logical reason (17 and Roshi), contradictions due to lack of communication between the different writers (Ribrianne goes toe to toe with SSJ Goku and Vegeta but her strongest form loses to Android 18 who is much much weaker than them?! Nigrisshi being taken out by BASE Cabba despite being hyped as Universe 3 best warrior before the Tournament began), it was sloppy and dragging - we seriously needed a B Plot of something going on on Earth to fresh the audience from these complete episodes where nothing happens but pointless dialogues. It makes the hype we got back in late December 2016 when the arc was announced look like a total disappointment.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:50 am

TKA wrote:You people are so cartoonish. Making judgments even though spoilers are devoid of context. Lol.
What context could you possibly need having Roshi dodge Jirens attacks? Seriously. It’s absurd
How i predict the tournament will end:

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:55 am

TheOne wrote:
TKA wrote:You people are so cartoonish. Making judgments even though spoilers are devoid of context. Lol.
What context could you possibly need having Roshi dodge Jirens attacks? Seriously. It’s absurd
This. I don’t care WHAT explanation from them arises, it’s still going to make ZERO sense in the end. Even IF Roshi got UI, coupled together with Jiren only using 1% (or even less) of his power. And it still wouldn’t make sense. Horrible powerscaling folks.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:04 am

Don't act like the anime were any better. Beerus and the other Gods of Destruction spent MILLIONS of years trying to achieve this legendary technique, the Ultra Instinct, and failed, and yet somehow this random 40-yo-old Saiyan is able to master it in 30 minutes? I don't care if Goku is a prodigy. I don't care if he learned the Kamehameha in five minutes. Ultra Instinct is clearly a much more advanced technique than that stupid ki blast that even fodder characters can do, if it makes even the Gods of Destruction open their mouth in astonishment. Give me a break.
Last edited by SupremeKai25 on Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:06 am

I really don't the mind the idea of Roshi vs Jiren but it could have been done better like have Roshi use the Mafuba against him but he failed and gave a touching speech then he died right there Goku ignites to UI Omen but instead Goku learning it by watching Roshi of all people but IIRC Goku just watched beerus doing this :roll: .
Mostly active on discord.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:19 am

Account strikes have been issued. All would do well to review the community guidelines, which you agreed to (twice) prior to registration.

Independent of this, discussion of upcoming chapters should not occur until their official release within the pages of Shueisha's V-Jump magazine and/or digital release in English on Viz's website. You should not be striving to undermine your own contributions with a lack of context and understanding for material you have not been able to review in full.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:22 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:Don't act like the anime were any better. Beerus and the other Gods of Destruction spent MILLIONS of years trying to achieve this legendary technique, the Ultra Instinct, and failed, and yet somehow this random 40-yo-old Saiyan is able to master it in 30 minutes? I don't care if Goku is a prodigy. I don't care if he learned the Kamehameha in five minutes. Ultra Instinct is clearly a much more advanced technique than that stupid ki blast that even fodder characters can do, if it makes even the Gods of Destruction open their mouth in astonishment. Give me a break.
THIS. And the fact that Roshi is Goku's first master shouldn't get THAT MUCH OF RESPECT! Sure, they can fight some random strong guy together (Goku in base) with him picking up this obstacle's short comings and tell Goku how to break free and overcome it, no need to push the envelope and draw him fighting or even challenging Jiren WHO IS BY FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR OVER ROSHI'S LEAGUE.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:04 pm

ricky84 wrote:Toyotaro is such a horrible writer that it is hilarious. I don't like GT but it is way better than Toyotaro's manga, especially when it comes to powerscaling.

To be fair, it's Gohan. You can make this character stronger than anyone, and it will always fit the context of the story given what we know about him. It all comes down to how it's executed.

The rest, I agree with.

Is this the first time Toyo has done something like or wrote poorly?

How does he compare to the guys that do Dragon Ball multiverse?
I'm pretty sure he wrote the unfinished DBAF manga with Xicor, the son of the Goku, and Broly turning good. So... yeah... not the first time.

Multiverse does really well when it remains faithful to the original source material, but whenever they deviate and try to implement their own original concepts, it's... eh.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:06 pm

Green_Goblin wrote:IMHO The Tournament of Power Arc was the 3rd weakest in all of Super (only to lose to the "movies retellings", even below the filler of the "Copy-Vegeta"); No creativity (show me one NEW character people now love out of the 70 we got there, none of them even had a cool technique that sticked after - just rehashing of old and non-canon ideas), power up wankings for no clear or logical reason (17 and Roshi), contradictions due to lack of communication between the different writers (Ribrianne goes toe to toe with SSJ Goku and Vegeta but her strongest form loses to Android 18 who is much much weaker than them?! Nigrisshi being taken out by BASE Cabba despite being hyped as Universe 3 best warrior before the Tournament began), it was sloppy and dragging - we seriously needed a B Plot of something going on on Earth to fresh the audience from these complete episodes where nothing happens but pointless dialogues. It makes the hype we got back in late December 2016 when the arc was announced look like a total disappointment.
Caulifla, Kefla and Kale are surprising really popular nowadays despite initial hate. A lot of people like Toppo as well (many preferring him over Jiren) and think Aniraza is a cool design.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:17 pm

ricky84 wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:IMHO The Tournament of Power Arc was the 3rd weakest in all of Super (only to lose to the "movies retellings", even below the filler of the "Copy-Vegeta"); No creativity (show me one NEW character people now love out of the 70 we got there, none of them even had a cool technique that sticked after - just rehashing of old and non-canon ideas), power up wankings for no clear or logical reason (17 and Roshi), contradictions due to lack of communication between the different writers (Ribrianne goes toe to toe with SSJ Goku and Vegeta but her strongest form loses to Android 18 who is much much weaker than them?! Nigrisshi being taken out by BASE Cabba despite being hyped as Universe 3 best warrior before the Tournament began), it was sloppy and dragging - we seriously needed a B Plot of something going on on Earth to fresh the audience from these complete episodes where nothing happens but pointless dialogues. It makes the hype we got back in late December 2016 when the arc was announced look like a total disappointment.
Caulifla, Kefla and Kale are surprising really popular nowadays despite initial hate. A lot of people like Toppo as well (many preferring him over Jiren) and think Aniraza is a cool design.
And Ribrianne has her own devoted base as well.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:03 pm

ricky84 wrote:Caulifla, Kefla and Kale are surprising really popular nowadays despite initial hate. A lot of people like Toppo as well (many preferring him over Jiren) and think Aniraza is a cool design.
Has there been a recent character poll in Japan? I'm wondering how you came to conclusion. I liked Toppo and thought Aniraza had a cool design but not I'm aware of many people like them outside of this forum.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:04 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
TheOne wrote:
This. I don’t care WHAT explanation from them arises, it’s still going to make ZERO sense in the end. Even IF Roshi got UI, coupled together with Jiren only using 1% (or even less) of his power. And it still wouldn’t make sense. Horrible powerscaling folks.
Exactly. The amount of strength and speed Jiren would have to hold back even play fighting against Roshi would literally not make any sense in a survival tournament.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:08 pm

Jackalope89 wrote: And Ribrianne has her own devoted base as well.
I think we have the world's #1 Ribrianne fan right here on the forums. :thumbup:

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:09 pm

Green_Goblin wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:Don't act like the anime were any better. Beerus and the other Gods of Destruction spent MILLIONS of years trying to achieve this legendary technique, the Ultra Instinct, and failed, and yet somehow this random 40-yo-old Saiyan is able to master it in 30 minutes? I don't care if Goku is a prodigy. I don't care if he learned the Kamehameha in five minutes. Ultra Instinct is clearly a much more advanced technique than that stupid ki blast that even fodder characters can do, if it makes even the Gods of Destruction open their mouth in astonishment. Give me a break.
THIS. And the fact that Roshi is Goku's first master shouldn't get THAT MUCH OF RESPECT! Sure, they can fight some random strong guy together (Goku in base) with him picking up this obstacle's short comings and tell Goku how to break free and overcome it, no need to push the envelope and draw him fighting or even challenging Jiren WHO IS BY FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR OVER ROSHI'S LEAGUE.
Glad I’m not the only one who realizes how dumb the Roshi thing is.

But as far as the UI thing goes, we don’t know which Gods of Destructions know UI or don’t. They have been very careful in saying that it’s not “easily” attained by them and not that none of them have attained it.

The fact that Goku obtained it in 40 plus minutes is ridiculous in itself. Are they trying to tell us he wasn’t pushed to his limits with Hit or Merged Zamasu? It’s bad storytelling. I would’ve been completely on board if we at least saw a glimpse of something in a different arc. Not even defeating a villain. Just moments that showed that there’s something bigger brewing. (The moment where Gokus body dodged Beerus in their first encounter doesn’t count).

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:34 pm

Jiren eliminates Roshi with a single karate chop. The people who said that Roshi fought toe to toe with Jiren were wrong. Roshi does no damage to Jiren, but dodges a few of his attacks. In the end Jiren beats him without breaking a sweat.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations