Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by BrolyKale » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:58 am

"On learning the movie was about Broly, Shintani felt nostalgic but also the pressure of living up to fan expectations. Toriyama's Broly is different from the old one, which might be wierd for old fans, but he hopes fans old and new will enjoy the film."

Well, I hope some people will be happy about that.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:02 am

I think the Dragon Ball Super Broly movie has every chance of making 10 billion yen ($90 million) at the box office, as cumulative worldwide total, if it's marketed and advertised properly.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:39 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I think the Dragon Ball Super Broly movie has every chance of making 10 billion yen ($90 million) at the box office, as cumulative worldwide total, if it's marketed and advertised properly.
I think France are the only country under Toei Europe that have announced something for the film so far. Unfortunately MangaUK reiterated a few days ago nothing new about the status for the film in the UK...

I'm not confident we're gonna get it in Jan tbh.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:51 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I think the Dragon Ball Super Broly movie has every chance of making 10 billion yen ($90 million) at the box office, as cumulative worldwide total, if it's marketed and advertised properly.
One Piece Z made 85 million mostly in Japan so with Super getting a worldwide release it's definitely possible.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:12 am

sintzu wrote:
One Piece Z made 85 million mostly in Japan so with Super getting a worldwide release it's definitely possible.
Which, coincidentally, was also directed by Tatsuya Nagamine. He's well aware of how huge of a success this movie is going to be.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:42 am

Well, since my previous crack theory about Broly and Cheelai hooking up is looking entirely too plausible, it's time for a new crack theory! If a fusion appears in the movie, it won't be Gogeta. It'll be Karoly. Not just Karoly, SSGSS Karoly (Full Power)! The actual villain will be Paragus or Frieza empowered by some kind of shenanigans. Or Golden Friezagus. :lol:

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:13 pm

I have a feeling Broly will end up being a good(ish) guy by the end of this.

Freeza has stepped into the role of recurring villain; Broly will become the unreliable ally who lives far away with it's cute alien girlfriend. He sometimes shows up to help but he can lose control and become the enemy. He will be become our Hulk.

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:25 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Super didn't return if the movie doesn't meet their goal.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:15 pm

Kaiosama wrote:Toei has always shitted on Vegeta. But it's also the purpose of his character. He will always struggle to keep up and will never be able to surpass. Apparently Goku is even stronger in SSB now, unless they are implying that Goku can use MUI at will, which would explain the huge gap in power between that form and SSBE.
Dude, people need to stop whining about Vegeta's treatment. He won more fights in Super than Goku did (especially solo fights), is the confirmed 2nd strongest mortal of U7 and has surpassed Goku 3 (maybe 4) times in Super: In Battle of Gods, post-Whis training (RoF), after coming out of the ROSAT in the Black arc and in ep.122 of the Super anime.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

SuperVirginGod

Post by SuperVirginGod » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:27 pm

I like what nagamine said about bringing change and trying new things with Dragon ball. That part of his interview made me realize how the iconic imagery has become stale and repetitive at this point. Truly a great sign for this franchise.

Also, do you guys remember this "spoiler"
[spoiler]Broly killing beerus. It was "leaked" before Broly announcement and everyone laughed at it. What are the chances of it being true? I feel like it's more than 50% because in FT arc they mentioned god of beerus dying and what happens after it. Maybe there was a reason behind this info and they are planning to write off beerus from DB franchise[/spoiler]

SuperVirginGod

Post by SuperVirginGod » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:37 pm

kudo6000 wrote:That looks like an after-battle Broly (his pants weren't torn as LSS). Hinting that he'll live at the end, possibly?
Yeah i think everyone is expecting Broly to Go vegeta/piccolo/tien route.
More Broly = more cash from merch sales so there's also that.
Maybe he'll become a poster boy, the new face of Dragonball standing side by side with Goku and vegeta? Maybe this saiyan trio will represent DB franchise in the future? No one expected vegeta to become a poster boy when he was first introduced in the manga.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:41 pm

SuperVirginGod wrote:I like what nagamine said about bringing change and trying new things with Dragon ball. That part of his interview made me realize how the iconic imagery has become stale and repetitive at this point. Truly a great sign for this franchise.

[spoiler]Broly killing beerus. It was "leaked" before Broly announcement and everyone laughed at it. What are the chances of it being true? I feel like it's more than 50% because in FT arc they mentioned god of beerus dying and what happens after it. Maybe there was a reason behind this info and they are planning to write off beerus from DB franchise[/spoiler]
This actually paves the way for Frieza to become the next God of Destruction.

What if … what if Goku isn't the target this time? What if Frieza wants Beerus dead? Hmm ...

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:00 pm

ricky84 wrote:People need to stop whining about Vegeta's treatment. He won more fights in Super than Goku did, is the confirmed 2nd strongest mortal of U7 and has surpassed Goku 3 (maybe 4) times in Super.
Fans are happy and recognize that he's getting good screen time. The issue is that the writers won't take him out of Goku's shadow and make him an independent character. It's always "Vegeta's trying to catch up to Goku, "Vegeta wants to surpass Goku", "Vegeta wants to fight Goku", "Vegeta (insert goal) Goku", etc. Why can't Vegeta be his own character ? Sasuke form Naruto is a great example on how to write a rival character. The minute he saw that Naruto surpassed him all the way back in Part 1 he moved on and never looked back. Now he has his own moves and techniques, he goes on his own separate adventures from Naruto and fights different people, he has his own goals that he wants to achieve, He trained under his own master and unlike Vegeta, he's treated as Naruto's equal. Vegeta on the other hand has been doing the same old thing since the Saiyan arc and still hasn't moved on, despite the Buu arc perfectly setting up an out for him to be his own character.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:03 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
SuperVirginGod wrote:I like what nagamine said about bringing change and trying new things with Dragon ball. That part of his interview made me realize how the iconic imagery has become stale and repetitive at this point. Truly a great sign for this franchise.

This actually paves the way for Frieza to become the next God of Destruction.

What if … what if Goku isn't the target this time? What if Frieza wants Beerus dead? Hmm ...
That sounds good. That would be an interesting point

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:07 pm

sintzu wrote:
ricky84 wrote:People need to stop whining about Vegeta's treatment. He won more fights in Super than Goku did, is the confirmed 2nd strongest mortal of U7 and has surpassed Goku 3 (maybe 4) times in Super.
Fans are happy and recognize that he's getting good screen time. The issue is that the writers won't take him out of Goku's shadow and make him an independent character. It's always "Vegeta's trying to catch up to Goku, "Vegeta wants to surpass Goku", "Vegeta wants to fight Goku", "Vegeta (insert goal) Goku", etc. Why can't Vegeta be his own character ? Sasuke form Naruto is a great example on how to write a rival character. The minute he saw that Naruto surpassed him all the way back in Part 1 he moved on and never looked back. Now he has his own moves and techniques, he goes on his own separate adventures from Naruto and fights different people, he has his own goals that he wants to achieve, He trained under his own master and unlike Vegeta, he's treated as Naruto's equal. Vegeta on the other hand has been doing the same old thing since the Saiyan arc and still hasn't moved on, despite the Buu arc perfectly setting up an out for him to be his own character.
SERIOUSLY. At this point, Vegeta trying to surpass Goku only embarrasses him. It's been years and he can't do it. Yeah, I get it, Goku is the itch that Vegeta can never scratch but he needs to evolve.
Be his own man. I think I enjoyed Vegeta in BoG because he seemed much more mature - his goal wasn't to surpass Goku but to protect his friends and family. During the entire movie he didn't make a single statement (up until the end) about surpassing his rival. I want more of that Vegeta.

Also, since U6 got its Earth restored, it's simply mind-boggling that Vegeta doesn't do the same for planet Vegeta / Sadala of Universe 7.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:16 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
sintzu wrote:
SERIOUSLY. At this point, Vegeta trying to surpass Goku only embarrasses him. It's been years and he can't do it. Yeah, I get it, Goku is the itch that Vegeta can never scratch but he needs to evolve.
Be his own man. I think I enjoyed Vegeta in BoG because he seemed much more mature - his goal wasn't to surpass Goku but to protect his friends and family. During the entire movie he didn't make a single statement (up until the end) about surpassing his rival. I want more of that Vegeta.

Also, since U6 got its Earth restored, it's simply mind-boggling that Vegeta doesn't do the same for planet Vegeta / Sadala of Universe 7.
He surpassed Goku 3 to 4 times in Super, was motivated mainly by need to help Future Trunks in the Black arc, beat a main villain that Goku couldn't (Black), was motivated by his desire to resurrect U6 and protect his family in the ToP and got his own unique transformation. Yet you guys still delusionally complain smh.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:19 pm

ricky84 wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:
sintzu wrote:

He surpassed Goku 3 to 4 times in Super, was motivated mainly by need to help Future Trunks in the Black arc, beat a main villain that Goku couldn't (Black), was motivated by his desire to resurrect U6 and protect his family in the ToP and got his own unique transformation. Yet you guys still delusionally complain smh.
I really, really want to know the 3-4 times Vegeta surpassed Goku in Super. Really, I do. And no, MY BULMA doesn't count because it was an emotional one-time plot thing, not a constant state of superiority because of better training.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:23 pm

sintzu wrote:
Sasuke was hardly an independent character from Naruto in the narrative, especially with the 60% of the lore surrounding him connects to Naruto, when most of Naruto's motives in Part 2 revolves around bringing Sasuke back to Konoha, and the fact that Naruto didn't surpass Sasuke at the end of part 1. Even when they were mostly apart in Shippuden, much of Sasuke's dialogues and monologues revolved around Naruto (he didn't move on at all). So that argument doesn't work.
Last edited by ricky84 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:29 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
ricky84 wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:

I really, really want to know the 3-4 times Vegeta surpassed Goku in Super. Really, I do. And no, MY BULMA doesn't count because it was an emotional one-time plot thing, not a constant state of superiority because of better training.
1. The "My Bulma" power boost was permanent. It was never stated nor impled anywhere in any media that he lost the power up.

2. The 2nd time was after training with Whis for 6 months (admitted by Goku himself and confirmed by Whis)

3. The 3rd time was after ROSAT training for 6 months and beating down Goku Black (who previously could take on Goku, Vegeta and Trunks all by himself)

4. In episode 122 when he as just a normal SSB out-performed both SSBx20 Goku from the hour special and Hit. This was explicitly acknowledged by many characters in the background.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:48 pm

ricky84 wrote:Sasuke was hardly an independent character from Naruto in the narrative, especially with the 60% of the lore surrounding him connects to Naruto, when most of Naruto's motives in Part 2 revolves around bringing Sasuke back to Konoha.

Naruto didn't surpass Sasuke at the end of part 1.

Much of Sasuke's dialogues and monologues revolved around Naruto (he didn't move on at all).
Of course they're connected in the bigger picture but they were still separate. Sasuke wanted to get revenge for his clan then brother while Naruto wanted to become Hokage. Becoming Hokage to Naruto meant getting his friend back first while destroying Konoha meant killing Naruto if he got in his way but that doesn't change the fact about them being separate goals.

He did before he left with the sound 5 and got his full cursed seal unlocked.

They only revolved around him when he got in his way or someone brought him up, he didn't spend every minute of his life obsessing over him like Vegeta does with Goku.

What have been Vegeta's goals ? getting revenge against Freeza for his people and surpassing Goku, both of which he failed at and continues to do so. Sasuke's goals have been getting power he couldn't in the village which he did. Finding and killing Itachi which he did. Making Danzo pay for his clan's blood which he did. Atoning for his sins by protecting the village from outside threats which he did (and continues to do) and Finding out everything he could about what Kaguya was preparing for which he did.
Last edited by sintzu on Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.