So how cool would it be if Broly “unlocks” his SSJ transformations within the movie?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

So how cool would it be if Broly “unlocks” his SSJ transformations within the movie?

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:14 pm

So here’s my theory, what if Broly does not have access to any Super Saiyan transformation at the beginning of this movie, and actually unlocks it through fighting Goku and the others? It would make things a lot more interesting and adds far more credibility to his saiyan ability of rapidly getting stronger and unlocking new power-ups through his fights. It’s not something totally new and has been done before with Goku Black, Cabba and the other universe 6 Saiyans. Goku Black and Cabba did not know how to turn Super Saiyan at first too, yet they were incredibly though in their Base forms. So if Broly really does have these endless rapid power-ups and on-the-spot zenkai’s, than he does not need Super Saiyan at first and will simply unlock these transformations during the fights. This would be far cooler and interesting to see than if he already had these transformations in his pocket. This way, we can actually see his evolution happen on-screen!

What do you guys think about this?

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: So how cool would it be if Broly “unlocks” his SSJ transformations within the movie?

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:13 pm

I think from what we've seen from design sheets and character bios, Paragus is controlling/restraining Broly somehow. I think it's possible he has access to a Super Saiyan form, but I think he might "unleash the beast" and explode into the Berserker/LSSJ form like we've seen in the trailer

Kurakaio

Re: So how cool would it be if Broly “unlocks” his SSJ transformations within the movie?

Post by Kurakaio » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:31 pm

I'm still confused as to how strong Broly is supposed to be. He's shown to be fighting SSB Goku in his Black haired form, and yet he still has SSJ AND LSSJ.

Assuming Kaioken isn't in the movie, how is Goku even gonna compete with SSJ Broly.

Regarding the topic post, it does say he's learning as he fights, so it's possible he figures it out by seeing them do it, but I personally doubt it.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:52 am

Yes, he is the Legendary Super Saiyan, but that alone isn't satisfying IMHO why he grows that strong straight off the bat. Goku and Vegeta probably are the first opponents who pushes his limits that far.
On the spot Zenkais? You first have to get battle damaged and then healed for Zenkais normally, but Vegeta stated he improves as he fights, even without sufficient damage and healing.

Broly looks to be heavily restricted and controlled at first. His powered-up-baseform (with the yellow pupils) has a version with neckbrace and without neckbrace. This means he probably doesn't know the extend of his true power untill he breaks through it. That'll make him a lot stronger, forcing Goku and Vegeta in their God- and eventually Blue-forms.

On the one hand that makes sense, because he was restricted in the first place, so he doesn't know the extend of his own power to begin with. On the other hand ... how could he have grown that strong without exceeding his limits in the first place? That's the traditional way Saiyans keep getting stronger. In the old movie (8) this could be explainable, Broly being that powerful from birth, as the power levels were only SSJ1 / SSJ2-level to begin with. The rebooted version of Broly is a lot stronger (divine level and probably even beyond). So if he pushes his limits and grows to a level above Jiren eventually, i hope we do end up with some sort of explaination (extreme genetic mutation?) why Broly had the potential to grow that strong in the first place without having to exceed his limits multiple times and being healed thereafter, which he cannot as he is heavily restricted.

Furthermore: even if Broly has this unique LSSJ-transformation (which could very well be a stronger multiplier than casual SSJ), that doesn't explain why is that latently powerful without having to transform in the first place. And why he has the potential to go even beyond divine power, just like that with LSSJ.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:33 am

Mister_Popo wrote:Yes, he is the Legendary Super Saiyan, but that alone isn't satisfying IMHO why he grows that strong straight off the bat. Goku and Vegeta probably are the first opponents who pushes his limits that far.
On the spot Zenkais? You first have to get battle damaged and then healed for Zenkais normally, but Vegeta stated he improves as he fights, even without sufficient damage and healing.

Broly looks to be heavily restricted and controlled at first. His powered-up-baseform (with the yellow pupils) has a version with neckbrace and without neckbrace. This means he probably doesn't know the extend of his true power untill he breaks through it. That'll make him a lot stronger, forcing Goku and Vegeta in their God- and eventually Blue-forms.

On the one hand that makes sense, because he was restricted in the first place, so he doesn't know the extend of his own power to begin with. On the other hand ... how could he have grown that strong without exceeding his limits in the first place? That's the traditional way Saiyans keep getting stronger. In the old movie (8) this could be explainable, Broly being that powerful from birth, as the power levels were only SSJ1 / SSJ2-level to begin with. The rebooted version of Broly is a lot stronger (divine level and probably even beyond). So if he pushes his limits and grows to a level above Jiren eventually, i hope we do end up with some sort of explaination (extreme genetic mutation?) why Broly had the potential to grow that strong in the first place without having to exceed his limits multiple times and being healed thereafter, which he cannot as he is heavily restricted.

Furthermore: even if Broly has this unique LSSJ-transformation (which could very well be a stronger multiplier than casual SSJ), that doesn't explain why is that latently powerful without having to transform in the first place. And why he has the potential to go even beyond divine power, just like that with LSSJ.
Some people have speculated that Broly had some genetic engineering done on him based on some scenes in the trailer where it showed Saiyan babies inside tanks.

I think it'd be an interesting angle, having Broly be a natural freak of nature AND artificially enhanced to produce the ULTIMATE Saiyan warrior. Sorta like how Dr. Gero turned a few ordinary Human teenagers into monstrous beings that naturally surpassed Freeza and Super Saiyans at the time; imagine doing something like that to a Saiyan prodigy with the usual Saiyan tendencies of getting way stronger than everyone else.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:55 am

it wouldn't be cool at all. I'd rather for brolly to just have god form instead of watching base broly thrash goku and vegeta which would bring up the question as to why achieve ssj transformations when you can just wreck people in base.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:42 pm

I would actually like to see that. It would be like a cool reverse of what the series has for what we expect from the main characters. It would visually show him "learning" as he fights and his notorious "ki raising" thing he is known for, or if he is pushed to a corner, he transforms. What I hope for is that they don't rush through his forms like the first movie did but actually have acts where he fights between the three, then the climax would have him go Legendary.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:41 pm

Kurakaio wrote:I'm still confused as to how strong Broly is supposed to be. He's shown to be fighting SSB Goku in his Black haired form, and yet he still has SSJ AND LSSJ.

Assuming Kaioken isn't in the movie, how is Goku even gonna compete with SSJ Broly.
Ultra Instinct.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:17 pm

It's hard to tell really.

If the colar is restructing his power like his old head band did he could very well be able to transform already. His enraged state is almst isentical to his SS form just that his hair stays black and his eyes change colour rather then disappear.

As for power, he show fighting SSB Goku in his Enraged State, his proper SS form is likely more powerful and his Full Power state likely makes the power gap at least as big as Jiren's was without UI. So no UI or Fusion, Goku's F###ed.