Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:43 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote: More like that sweat is because Piccolo is trying hard to sense Gohan's weak arse power level after entering nerd mode again. :lol:
Hey, at least he can switch back from his nerd mode, Piccolo's permanently stuck at that nerfed mode :P
So what do you think is Gohan's excuse this time? Too weak? Conference? Tien got revenge and made him retire?
He knows Freeza won't dare destroy earth as long as he is around, why do you think this time Freeza's not attacking directly?
You see, Gohan was smart enough to make a deal with Freeza during TOP, it went something like, don't lay a finger on earth and I won't come and melt your face, this happened during the time Piccolo was on the bench, eating dirt and counting limbs lost during a period of a few minutes
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:12 pm

People still hold up on Gohan. :eh:

I get the anime forcing the character into a bigger role might have influenced perceptions but it's obvious that Mr.Toriyama has relegated him to a secondary character. You guys aren't doing yourselves any favors having this discussion over and over again.
Dude's got a family and a job. He has better things to do than getting punched in the face because his dad poked the God/Ancient Being/OP crazy guy just for a fight.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:16 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Wait, I thought there was only 2 mystery new characters t
Well yeah 2 are definitely new since they have been labelled as such from the Ichiban Kuji but we do have 4 blanks from the WCF they don't label new specifically so assuming B & C are the same two character form the IBK then D & F both being the low ratio of 6 & 4 means either new character(s) or existing character(s) that doesn't get many figure releases (so one of D or F could be Bulma for example). I am guessing that Spider thing is one of these (given the Broly in this set is the pre armour one and that this spider is supposed to appear in the beginning of the movie). Also December's Adverge has 3 blanked characters again like the WCF they don't specify new just Character A, B & C.

There is a lot of blanking going on and tomorrow should get Bandai's December's gashapon slate (and then we'll have the full December merchandising schedule) and I expect more blanking there. And then next week is gonna be super hectic as we leave December and then get January stuff and then next Prize Fair (Jan to Mar) is slap bang in the middle of that week. The crazy exciting thing is we do not have listings for figures beyond December so next week is gonna be in the unknown literally no idea what to expect for January, the last One Piece film all the merchandise died down after 3 months so I expect a pretty hectic Jan and Feb too. Side note- For ResF SSGSS Vegeta stuff didn't start coming out until May because SSGSS Vegeta wasn't revealed before the movie, so I wonder if something similar will happen again and it would explain why Vegeta has been largely absent from movie merch but then again Vegeta hasn't been treated well by the merch dept in years so maybe I am overthinking this lol but hey we'll find out next week!

Like UI they're gonna spoil everything by the time the movie comes out (the Ichiban Kuji, WCF and potentially the Adverge will all come out before the movie opens nationwide) so I think it's ridiculous they go to these great lengths to hide things, they did such a bang up job for UI and no figures leaked, for months only to have everything spoiled in a magazine scan. It's not like this movie will need that extra marketing push.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:24 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:Piccolo is sweating in the trailer so I hope he has been asked to do something unexpected like train to become the next God of Destruction as Beerus wants to retire just like Belmond for some reason.
Long time no see man :)
I'll cut to the chase and say he simply sensed Freeza coming back and that's the reason for his sweat..
Basically he shit his pants thinking Freeza might come and touch his bum
More like that sweat is because Piccolo is trying hard to sense Gohan's weak arse power level after entering nerd mode again. :lol:
At least nerd mode Gohan is more useful in battle than Piccolo nowadays lmao. Piccolo jobbed to Tagoma, who base Vegeta easily one shotted. That should let you know how relevent piccolo is now :)
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:26 pm

LightBing wrote:People still hold up on Gohan. :eh:

I get the anime forcing the character into a bigger role might have influenced perceptions but it's obvious that Mr.Toriyama has relegated him to a secondary character. You guys aren't doing yourselves any favors having this discussion over and over again.
Dude's got a family and a job. He has better things to do than getting punched in the face because his dad poked the God/Ancient Being/OP crazy guy just for a fight.
So does 17 (a non-saiyan) yet he is far more of a warrior than Gohan is. He still trains often, same with Future Trunks. Gohan has no excuse.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:38 pm

In all fairness, even in the manga version of the ToP, he managed to hold his own for a while. The ToP as a whole was easily Gohan’s best showing since the Buu arc, so it’s not particularly surprising that people are still holding out hope for the character to be relevant again.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:42 pm

WittyUsername wrote:

In all fairness, even in the manga version of the ToP, he managed to hold his own for a while. The ToP as a whole was easily Gohan’s best showing since the Buu arc, so it’s not particularly surprising that people are still holding out hope for the character to be relevant again.
Hell, I'd say the ToP (both versions) is Gohan's best showing since the Cell Games.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:42 pm

ricky84 wrote:

So does 17 (a non-saiyan) yet he is far more of a warrior than Gohan is. He still trains often, same with Future Trunks. Gohan has no excuse.
17 is definitely not a warrior and was just the latest craze who will be put in his right place if he ever comes back.
ricky84 wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: Long time no see man :)
I'll cut to the chase and say he simply sensed Freeza coming back and that's the reason for his sweat..
Basically he shit his pants thinking Freeza might come and touch his bum
More like that sweat is because Piccolo is trying hard to sense Gohan's weak arse power level after entering nerd mode again. :lol:
At least nerd mode Gohan is more useful in battle than Piccolo nowadays lmao. Piccolo jobbed to Tagoma, who base Vegeta easily one shotted. That should let you know how relevent piccolo is now :)
Piccolo has got stronger since then and Toriyama can just make up some shit to make him even stronger like he does for everyone else.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:37 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
ricky84 wrote:

17 is definitely not a warrior and was just the latest craze who will be put in his right place if he ever comes back.
ricky84 wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Piccolo has got stronger since then and Toriyama can just make up some shit to make him even stronger like he does for everyone else.
Inb4 All y’all are arguing for nothing and Goku, Vegeta, and Freeza will be the only 3 with important roles. And by Super 2.0 Broly will surpass both Gohan and Piccolo in importance.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:42 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Inb4 All y’all are arguing for nothing and Goku, Vegeta, and Freeza will be the only 3 with important roles. And by Super 2.0 Broly will surpass both Gohan and Piccolo in importance.
Roshi rose to importance again, saying everyone else is done for good is just not right
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:08 pm

ricky84 wrote:Piccolo will most likely just be there to beat up Freeza's soldiers, then get one shotted by Broly
I'd be pretty content with this being his role in the movie. I don't expect him to do much. Of course I expect him to help Bulma prior to being 1 shot

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:37 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Inb4 All y’all are arguing for nothing and Goku, Vegeta, and Freeza will be the only 3 with important roles. And by Super 2.0 Broly will surpass both Gohan and Piccolo in importance.
Roshi rose to importance again, saying everyone else is done for good is just not right
OK.

They’re done for without incorporating the idea of some random-ass power-up with poor-ass reasoning coming to the rescue for them
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:10 pm

sintzu wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:Vegeta will PROBABLY have some flashback of turning into SSG back when he trained alone with Whis and against Goku, and will claim it's a rare sight as he never liked to use this form because it always reminds him of the Super Saiyan God ritual that is against his nature of relying on others' powers. He'll only use it after his SSJ will be proven weak against "False Super Saiyan" mode Broly.
I agree we'll probably get some explanation to when he got it but I don't think he'll comment on why he didn't use it before. In Super's anime he just used Ssj2 once against Beerus but he never said why he didn't use it again, he just didn't.
Knowing DBS, I wouldn't be surprised if there was no in-movie explanation whatsoever for Vegeta deciding to use SSG after all this time.

That being said, I stumbled upon this really nice image (not super HQ tho):

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:22 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
OK.

They’re done for without incorporating the idea of some random-ass power-up with poor-ass reasoning coming to the rescue for them
Dosen't have to make sense to you..

Think acknowledging a simple, basic fact that characters, can indeed, be given attention without it being "poor-ass reasoning" is possible shouldn't have to be spelled out

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:28 pm

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:
:clap: That's an official image (or a very, very good fan made one). I assume it's from the movie's official site ? Regardless, if there's one thing this movie has done right is finally giving Vegeta that form. :clap:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:48 pm

Worst case scenario: Piccolo is stuck babysitting Goten and Trunks. Best case scenario: Piccolo is keeping baby Pan occupied so she doesn't one-shot Broly. :P

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:21 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: Roshi rose to importance again, saying everyone else is done for good is just not right
OK.

Dosen't have to make sense to you..

Think acknowledging a simple, basic fact that characters, can indeed, be given attention without it being "poor-ass reasoning" is possible shouldn't have to be spelled out
So you think Roshi dodging Jiren or even going up against Frost in the anime makes sense?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:55 pm

sintzu wrote:
:clap: That's an official image (or a very, very good fan made one). I assume it's from the movie's official site ? Regardless, if there's one thing this movie has done right is finally giving Vegeta that form. :clap:

The Red-forms will look pretty good in contrast with the icy backdrop.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:10 pm

Dragono wrote:1. I like editing this way, too much time for the other way.
2. You literally laid out a defense for everything GT reused. How is that not making excuses for it?
3.Time limit is irrelevant. They brought them back, they brought everyone back, period just to lead up to a character that is literally the same as we had before. Plus that is still defending it.
4.An excuse Childish at times? Do you hear yourself? You just gave an excuse for something people including you would bash super for doing even once because Goku wasn't flanderize most of the time.
5.Thats because you said GT never regressed clothing when it regressed the mc's age, you the claimed it didn't matter because it didn't mess with his character whcih is again defending it.
6.You said super tried to rely soley on z's success when GT tried to be something new, but when i told you those new things super did, you said they weren't done well which was never the argument at hand, hence why i said you were being biased.
1. Not really. Either on PC or a cell phone, it's quite easy to delete everything else not directed to you and keep the [ / quote] at the end of the post.

2. The concepts reused on GT are barely noted by the audience, small plots from early DB? A Tuffle antagonist? (A plot from an OVA that is unknown for a considerable part of the fanbase) The most noted is the Super 17 arc that was rehash of Movie 12 without Gogeta.

3. Irrelevant for you. Villains like Freeza, Cell and others played minor roles as the antagonist was Super 17, is not like they had came back with a plot all surrounded to them like Freeza did it on Super.

4. You meant read, right? And yes, it is an excuse. Goku being turned into a child was it allowed him to act silly without treatening the image of his Z self. He became a kid and simply went along with it. In the more serious situations, he could turn into SSJ4 at will. Meanwhile in Super, we have to go through Adult Goku's acting really childish, even when his whole Universe is on stake or when Future Trunks came for help. He greatly overestimates his own strength and doesn't take any serious cautions immediately, or even worse, he totally messes up the whole plan (Not finishing Frost, not going Blue against Black during their first match, or the Senzu Bean "incident")

5. I don't see the big deal about Goku being turned into a kid on GT, sure I would prefer him to keep as a adult, but as I said above, it was just a physical regression and not character regression like Super.

6. But GT really tried to be something new: we never had an universe exploration before, characters having to travel to a bunch of planets to solve a conflict. We never had Goku having to deal with an enemy who controlled his loved ones (he was absent in the Garlic Jr. filler) and after the boring Super 17 arc we had an last arc solely based on the overuse of the Dragon Balls coming to bite the main cast. Super retold plots from the previous Z movies (BoG and RoF), later we got a tournament with barely no stakes, then we got a good arc about an Evil Goku that it had some stakes, but when we think that Beerus could have solved the whole conflict by himself (like Zen-Oh did in the end) it makes all the thing pointless and the last arc another damn tournament that was supposed to have a lot of stakes, but in the end was nothing but a test from the Omni-King.
Oracle wrote:Kikono is the same character from DB Minus.
[spoiler]https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1033509686153072641[/spoiler]
Damn, just like what I feared most: Toriyama is introducing dreadful Minus concepts to this movie. Not really surprising, but I wish he had forgot those :D
LightBing wrote:I get the anime forcing the character into a bigger role might have influenced perceptions but it's obvious that Mr.Toriyama has relegated him to a secondary character. You guys aren't doing yourselves any favors having this discussion over and over again.
I could say the same about Piccolo, why force him in this plot movie, just to punch some minions? Show some reactions towards other characters power level and of course being sidelined as he always was. Gohan actually had a decent role on the manga (that some assume it has more influence from Toriyama than the anime) also he was the guy who defeated Broly on the last time, people don't care if he's on a conference, we just want to see an design.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:33 pm

sintzu wrote:
Just from an aesthetic standpoint, I'm hoping they can show Goku/Vegeta in that form for more than a few seconds. They look especially good against the snowy background.