DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Kanassa » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:37 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Three parts.

One each Friday.

... I hope. *Feverishly tries to finish Part 3. c.c;*

And in December, expect the Epilogue, with Trunks.
So, technically 4 parts?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:54 pm

Kanassa wrote:

One each Friday.

So, technically 4 parts?
Yeah. Wish it could've been three total, or four with the epilogue being the final one, but... the epilogue just felt like such a weird place to end it, y'know?
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:55 am

KaiserNeko wrote:
Kanassa wrote:

One each Friday.

So, technically 4 parts?
Yeah. Wish it could've been three total, or four with the epilogue being the final one, but... the epilogue just felt like such a weird place to end it, y'know?
So what you're saying is... three parts, plus the epilogue... plus something? :O

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:33 am

Fizzer wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:
Kanassa wrote: So, technically 4 parts?
So what you're saying is... three parts, plus the epilogue... plus something? :O
No, no, three parts, with the epilogue coming at the end of Dec.

I just wish I could've made the epilogue part of the finale proper, but again... it's just so seperate from the events of the finale, y'know?

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:39 am

KaiserNeko wrote: No, no, three parts, with the epilogue coming at the end of Dec.

I just wish I could've made the epilogue part of the finale proper, but again... it's just so seperate from the events of the finale, y'know?
Yeah, that makes sense. Even Kai treated that segment as an "extra" episode which makes it feel really awkward going from a finale, to another finale, to TFC. With a seasonal format though, an epilogue does make sense.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:12 am

Fizzer wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote: No, no, three parts, with the epilogue coming at the end of Dec.

Yeah, that makes sense. Even Kai treated that segment as an "extra" episode which makes it feel really awkward going from a finale, to another finale, to TFC. With a seasonal format though, an epilogue does make sense.
I mean, it only ended up as an extra episode because the show got delayed a week, which stopped it from airing, so it ended up on the home release in Japan as an extra episode. Hell, that was still another episode or 2 in Z, if I'm not mistaken, so I don't get this argument.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:28 pm

Part One is about to start in two minutes (8:30 Central Time)
https://www.twitch.tv/streamfourstar

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:58 pm

There were maybe four jokes in that entire episode. That direction wasn't really to my tastes, but I'm sure other people will like it.
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:00 pm

That was fantastic. The acting, the gags, HOLY SHIT THAT AMAZING COVER. Well worth the wait.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:05 pm

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:17 pm

Kaiser, you are an absolute god. Thank you for this. If the other two parts are anything like this, I think we're seeing your magnum opus unfold. :)

Great episode; really funny, really touching, really intense... Just really great, and I can't wait to have that song on its own to listen to. :D
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:20 pm

Missed the first 10 minutes on Twitch, since I lost track of time & I live on the East Coast, where we're an hour later than Texas. Catching up on YouTube now. But that ending, though. NICE. It's the same song that Mistare Fusion's using at the beginning of Dragon Ball Dissection. Great English cover.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:28 pm

I enjoyed the pep talk 16 gave. The american Gohan fans probably wanted to say what 16 said for what, 2 decades?

Also, got chills during the transformation. Masoko knocking it out of the park again.

You already know Kaiser, but we love you guys, or at least the idea of you guys. 60 is off to an amazing start.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:03 pm

You guys did a phenomenal job on this finale!
Cell shattering kaboom. :mrgreen:

Looking forward to the remaining parts of it!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Gokuman1993
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokuman1993 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:07 pm

Damn, #16's speech to Gohan is something else :) Can't help but feel that that might, just might relate to what's going on in our world right now.... Eh, might've been unintentional, right? Kinda hope it wasn't.

Truly, a great beginning to an awesome finale <3

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:36 pm

That Spirit VS Spirit cover, though. Amazing stuff.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:47 pm

I'll try my best to say this without sounding like an asshole, but...

Is this even supposed to be a humorous take on Dragon Ball anymore? It honestly feels like TFS are taking this too seriously. I barely laughed during that entire episode. I get that it might be hard to write comedy out of such a huge moment in the series, but if I want to watch this show with a serious tone, then I'll go and watch the actual show that it's based on. This isn't the first time it's happened during DBZA, it's been pretty prevalent throughout their take on the Android arc. But I seriously do miss when they would actually take the piss outta the show like during the Freeza arc, even during dramatic moments like when Goku turned Super Saiyan for the first time.

I really used to like DBZA, just look at my username for gods sake. :lol: But it just takes itself way too seriously now and I don't know why. That's not to say that it's always like that, there's still plenty to enjoy. But it's definitely not the same series that I eagerly anticipated every upcoming episode back in 2013/2014. Their movies and specials are still good, though. I remember really enjoying their take on Broly.

Still got lots of respect for the guys at TFS. They've come so far.

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:51 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I'll try my best to say this without sounding like an asshole, but...

Is this even supposed to be a humorous take on Dragon Ball anymore? It honestly feels like TFS are taking this too seriously. I barely laughed during that entire episode. I get that it might be hard to write comedy out of such a huge moment in the series, but if I want to watch this show with a serious tone, then I'll go and watch the actual show that it's based on. This isn't the first time it's happened during DBZA, it's been pretty prevalent throughout their take on the Android arc. But I seriously do miss when they would actually take the piss outta the show like during the Freeza arc, even during dramatic moments like when Goku turned Super Saiyan for the first time.

I really used to like DBZA, just look at my username for gods sake. :lol: But it just takes itself way too seriously now and I don't know why. That's not to say that it's always like that, there's still plenty to enjoy. But it's definitely not the same series that I eagerly anticipated every upcoming episode back in 2013/2014. Their movies and specials are still good, though. I remember really enjoying their take on Broly.

80% of it was still comedy. But part of a serialized story is its ability to ground its characters and the events taking place.

If you can't take the big stuff seriously, then the humor blends together. Look at Guardians of the Galaxy.

I can understand the apprehension, but... we wanted to avoid turning into a boring farce, so we focused on making the characters and story feel... real, and impactful.

But if it doesn't work for you, that makes sense. I'm just sorry you didn't find the comedy-- of which came in abundance in this part, funny. That's truly disappointing.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:01 am

KaiserNeko wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I'll try my best to say this without sounding like an asshole, but...

80% of it was still comedy. But part of a serialized story is its ability to ground its characters and the events taking place.

If you can't take the big stuff seriously, then the humor blends together. Look at Guardians of the Galaxy.

I can understand the apprehension, but... we wanted to avoid turning into a boring farce, so we focused on making the characters and story feel... real, and impactful.

But if it doesn't work for you, that makes sense. I'm just sorry you didn't find the comedy-- of which came in abundance in this part, funny. That's truly disappointing.
I appreciate the reply and totally understand what you guys are trying to go for now, but part of the reason why I used to enjoy the series so much was how much you guys would just make light out of serious and memorable moments. It's what drew me in. Mind you, that kind of stuff is still there, though not as prevalent or as humorous as I would've hoped.

I completely understand why you guys have decided to change things up. You've been at this for 10 years! It's just that I miss what it used to be, y'know?

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:25 am

That was a really damn good episode. I LOL' d when Cell named his offspring after his English voice actors and that cover of Unmei no Hito was pretty good.

I'm gonna quote Taras Kul (AKA CrazyRussianHacker) :
Thumbs up from me :thumbup:

Good job guys :D