Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:47 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: LOL, the Sabat dub.
Not a bad name for the inhouse dub :lol:

Obviously it was a typo :wink:
One of the most fitting names for the dub ever, along with "The Chris Sabat Show".
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:27 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Not a bad name for the inhouse dub :lol:

Obviously it was a typo :wink:
One of the most fitting names for the dub ever, along with "The Chris Sabat Show".
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:24 pm

All this Sabat bullying takes me back to the forums and IRC rooms of '99. :) Was only about 8 years old at the time and didn't know who or what a "Sabat" was, only that a large collection of people decades older than myself were getting quite pissed off at a children's cartoon. Twas my first experience with anime fans on the internet, and I guess it struck some kind of chord with me as it set me down on my path of trying to find bootleg VHS copies of this mythical Japanese version everyone was going on about. Good times. :)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:24 pm

Big Boss wrote:All this Sabat bullying takes me back to the forums and IRC rooms of '99. :) Was only about 8 years old at the time and didn't know who or what a "Sabat" was, only that a large collection of people decades older than myself were getting quite pissed off at a children's cartoon. Twas my first experience with anime fans on the internet, and I guess it struck some kind of chord with me as it set me down on my path of trying to find bootleg VHS copies of this mythical Japanese version everyone was going on about. Good times. :)
Getting serious for a moment, Chris Sabat is one of the most awesome people in anime. The picture I did above was all in good fun. :)

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:29 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Big Boss wrote:All this Sabat bullying takes me back to the forums and IRC rooms of '99. :) Was only about 8 years old at the time and didn't know who or what a "Sabat" was, only that a large collection of people decades older than myself were getting quite pissed off at a children's cartoon. Twas my first experience with anime fans on the internet, and I guess it struck some kind of chord with me as it set me down on my path of trying to find bootleg VHS copies of this mythical Japanese version everyone was going on about. Good times. :)
Getting serious for a moment, Chris Sabat is one of the most awesome people in anime. The picture I did above was all in good fun. :)
Don't worry, wasn't trying to imply you were being malicious. I think Chris is awesome too. :)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:38 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Same here, have nothing but respect for Sabat. Hell, without him casting Copy Vegeta we wouldn't have heard Drummond in any new Dragon Ball content since the Westwood dub. He's one of us and wants whats best for this franchise.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:39 am

Sabat is indeed... a pretty cool guy. 8)
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:28 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Sabat is indeed... a pretty cool guy. 8)
Eh dubs lots of characters well and doesn't afraid of anything.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:03 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Sabat is indeed... a pretty cool guy. 8)
Eh dubs lots of characters well and doesn't afraid of anything.
Doesn't afraid of anything indeed.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:49 pm

I checked James Beach's filmography at BTVA and the guy seems to only voice blue haired or skinned guys. I remember the only blue characters in Kai are Burter and the Cell Jrs. (unless I'm forgetting someone :think: )

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:00 am

His character is definitely on Namek and only for a few episodes but that is all I know.

Isn't anyone gonna talk about the possible release date of the channel as posted by C. Smith? :shock:
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:02 am

SX10 wrote: Isn't anyone gonna talk about the possible release date of the channel as posted by C. Smith? :shock:
You mean the fact that if it isn't released for New Year's Eve, it will be released on next year's April Fools?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:40 am

Tian wrote:
SX10 wrote: Isn't anyone gonna talk about the possible release date of the channel as posted by C. Smith? :shock:
You mean the fact that if it isn't released for New Year's Eve, it will be released on next year's April Fools?
I actually didn't think of that :shock:

I'm calling bullshit if we see Wow's debut schedule that day, Kai is MIA and we hear word its actually been scrapped.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:32 am

Tian wrote:

I'm calling bullshit if we see Wow's debut schedule that day, Kai is MIA and we hear word its actually been scrapped.
If they do launch that day they could have a field day marketing Ocean Kai as though it were a big prank! :lol:
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:28 pm

If Ocean Kai isn't out by 2020 then I'm giving up completely on it. I probably should've ages ago but it's something I really wanna watch so much.

Come on, Canada. :(

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:59 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Come on, Canada. :(
More specifically, come on, Canadian TV networks! :(
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:12 pm

Tian wrote:I checked James Beach's filmography at BTVA and the guy seems to only voice blue haired or skinned guys. I remember the only blue characters in Kai are Burter and the Cell Jrs. (unless I'm forgetting someone :think: )
BTVA isn't exhaustive and James Beach is a pseudonym. He's played more than just blue people. :lol:
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:29 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
Tian wrote:I checked James Beach's filmography at BTVA and the guy seems to only voice blue haired or skinned guys. I remember the only blue characters in Kai are Burter and the Cell Jrs. (unless I'm forgetting someone :think: )
BTVA isn't exhaustive and James Beach is a pseudonym. He's played more than just blue people. :lol:
So, in other words... Just because we can't be sure who the guy is voicing, we shouldn't be... Blue? Image

Azelf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Azelf89 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:57 am

Tian wrote:

I don’t think you should read that much into it. Remember, April Fools outside of its cultural precence isn’t considered that special of a day, so it releasing on that day wouldn’t be out of the ordinary. Hell, Ocean Kai was approved by the CRTC to be Canadian Content on April 1st, 2014, along with a bunch of other Canadian programming.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:53 pm

Whatever happened to "Jizz Quiz"?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.