Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMikado
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by TheMikado » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:42 pm

majinwarman wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: It's still not the same as bringing Freeza back is the point I was making. This character in-universe is new. Freeza wasn't.
That’s really splitting hairs. At most you could call it a remake or reboot. The more important part being is that we’re rehashing something we’ve seen before and the most we’re getting marketing wise is emphasizing that they’re rehashing something we’ve already seen before.

The marketing is based entirely around giving us nothing but telling us we are going to see something we’ve seen before but “redone”.
But, I feel like people are already the movie sucks before it comes out because it is Super or Broly is involved.
I think it’s less to do with that and more to do with the fact that we got interesting info around the time of the movie announcements such as the history of the Saiyans but instead we’re being marketed with Broly! Broly! Broly! You’d think that’s going to disappoint the people, myself included, who find interesting fleshed our lore appealing. That’s not to say it can’t be those things but RoF set a bad precedent as it’s following similar marketing trends.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:51 pm

majinwarman wrote:But, I feel like people are already the movie sucks before it comes out because it is Super or Broly is involved.
I'm saying it's possible the movie might be weak cause really...BoG and RoF were weak. Especially RoF.

kudo6000
Beyond Newbie

Post by kudo6000 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:00 pm

Miracles wrote:
majinwarman wrote:But, I feel like people are already the movie sucks before it comes out because it is Super or Broly is involved.
I'm saying it's possible the movie might be weak cause really...BoG and RoF were weak. Especially RoF.
So mainly it's because you're looming the reception from its predecessors over its head?

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:20 pm

kudo6000 wrote:So mainly it's because you're looming the reception from its predecessors over its head?
That's right...Written by the same guy. Just saying it's very possible.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:38 pm

Miracles wrote:
What was weak about those movies exactly, especially BoG?

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:42 pm

I have hopes for the movie even if it's a Broly rehash since the approach seems to try to improve and change it. Unfortunately the similarities seem to exceed what I thought, I was expecting similar design and fight style for Broly, the lack of control of the Legendary form since those are staples.

Yet they added Paragus and the mind control device. Starting to seem like Movie 8 with a new paint job just from these tidbits.

What makes me hopeful is Freeza and the apparent good use of him. If they successfully use him as a recurring villain and don't boringly deal with Broly, plus good fight scenes and the good animation that will do a lot for me.

Gogeta is not a good way to defeat Broly. Hopefully - if he's in - this is Mr. Toriyama killing the idea while giving fans a glimpse. They fuse Gogeta looking cool, throws one punch and defuses. "Seems fusion doesn't work for more than 30 seconds at this level, guess we can't ever use this again." This would be great. :thumbup:

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:45 pm

CTAkuma wrote:
Miracles wrote:
Lackluster fights...bland plot, terrible use of CGI, bad writing with Freeza not being able to keep up full power as a way to sidestep a full on death fight.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:30 pm

While BoG wasn’t my personal favorite Dragon Ball movie (that distinction goes to DBZ movie 13), I would still say it was a solid movie that managed to expand the lore of the franchise in new and interesting ways. RF on the other hand, was just straight up lousy. That movie had absolutely nothing to offer beyond some flashy fight scenes (as long as CGI wasn’t involved) and a couple of new transformations. I view the movie the same way that the guys at Red Letter Media (and myself) view Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

Unfortunatley, I’m worried that this particular movie has a better chance of ending up like RF than BoG.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:44 pm

Miracles wrote:
CTAkuma wrote:
Miracles wrote: I'm saying it's possible the movie might be weak cause really...BoG and RoF were weak. Especially RoF.
Lackluster fights...bland plot, terrible use of CGI, bad writing with Freeza not being able to keep up full power as a way to sidestep a full on death fight.
The lack of stakes was the biggest problem with RoF. The fact that Goku and Vegeta could have easily killed Freeza if they teamed up is stupid and kills all tension (Beerus and Whis being there isn't a problem because they don't take sides). They should have made Golden Freeza strong enough that it would force Goku and Vegeta to work together like they did with Black/Zamasu and Jiren. Fodder villains don't make good movies.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:19 pm

I wonder if Freeza thaws Broly being curious? Trying to recruit him into his army to defeat Goku would be ideal. Then of course Broly turns on Freeza, which he then needs Goku’s help.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:50 pm

So far, Broly does not seem to have a tail from what little we have seen of him. A little dissapointed in that. I thought a tail would look great on him! What do you guys think? Would you want him to have one?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:08 pm

Chuquita wrote:Same. My thought is it'll just be a remixed Movie 8 + Gogeta with flashbacks to Minus, but I hope that's not the case. I hope it's something fresher than that.
You shouldn't or else you end up being disappointed like the previous arc and movie.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:15 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:So far, Broly does not seem to have a tail from what little we have seen of him. A little dissapointed in that. I thought a tail would look great on him! What do you guys think? Would you want him to have one?
He does have a tail, though. There was a leaflet released back in April with what looks like a silhouette of Broly with a tail.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Also, one of Broly's character sheets shows his tail around his waist under his green wrap.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:24 pm

Noah wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Same. My thought is it'll just be a remixed Movie 8 + Gogeta with flashbacks to Minus, but I hope that's not the case. I hope it's something fresher than that.
You shouldn't or else you end up being disappointed like the previous arc and movie.
At the very least I won't be completely disappointed in the movie since the animation itself looks very pretty.

I wish they could be brave enough to create a new villain. Most of their One Piece and Precure movies have new villains.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:47 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Not sure where all this doom & gloom is coming from. Ignoring the trailer everything we've been told about the movie doesn't sound like it's gonna be another RF. Nothing in RF's promotional cycle was interesting or promised anything interesting but here we're told of Goku/Vegeta/Broly having different destiny, the film is multi layered, takes place in various locations (some of which we've just been shown) various different character designs. Constantly reassured Broly is different in personality. Told that this movie will explore origins of Saiyans strength. So on.

I doubt Toei/Shueisha/Toriyama/Bandai/Banpresto are going through this much effort for the movie if it isn't something good.
I agree. There's really no reason to believe this is going to be anything like RoF because we already have several different storylines coming up in this movie and things in general that separate it from a RoF-esque plot.

-The history of the Saiyans will be explored
-New backstory/motivations/characterization for Broli
-Goku/Vegeta/Broly and their destiny
-Broly and his involvement with Freeza
-the movie being described as a "Space Opera"
-The Dragon Balls are involved, we see one falling into some crevass in the trailer
-Bulma is in some kind of protective heat suit, and there's some kind of fiery looking Spider in the promotional material.
-story will take place on multiple planets with a multi-faceted story
-The original script came out to 3 hours; that couldn't be the case if it was all fighting like RoF

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:15 am

PFM18 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Not sure where all this doom & gloom is coming from. Ignoring the trailer everything we've been told about the movie doesn't sound like it's gonna be another RF. Nothing in RF's promotional cycle was interesting or promised anything interesting but here we're told of Goku/Vegeta/Broly having different destiny, the film is multi layered, takes place in various locations (some of which we've just been shown) various different character designs. Constantly reassured Broly is different in personality. Told that this movie will explore origins of Saiyans strength. So on.

I doubt Toei/Shueisha/Toriyama/Bandai/Banpresto are going through this much effort for the movie if it isn't something good.
I agree. There's really no reason to believe this is going to be anything like RoF because we already have several different storylines coming up in this movie and things in general that separate it from a RoF-esque plot.

-The Dragon Balls are involved, we see one falling into some crevass in the trailer
-Bulma is in some kind of protective heat suit, and there's some kind of fiery looking Spider in the promotional material.
-The original script came out to 3 hours; that couldn't be the case if it was all fighting like RoF
Do we know what the time limit is for the movie? Is it possbile to go over 2 hours?

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:26 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:So far, Broly does not seem to have a tail from what little we have seen of him. A little dissapointed in that. I thought a tail would look great on him! What do you guys think? Would you want him to have one?
He does have a tail, though. There was a leaflet released back in April with what looks like a silhouette of Broly with a tail.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Also, one of Broly's character sheets shows his tail around his waist under his green wrap.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That last picture you posted of Broly looks like it’s his armour. It’s a funny shape, but that upside down U shape at the front, just above his pelt shows a gap where the purple tights show through, so from there I would say the armour drops and wraps around his bum. Well, there’s that, and the fact there’s no sign of his tail in the front, even though the opening in his at the front of his pelt is higher than where his “tail” is shown in the back. Also, at the back of what I believe to be the armour is pretty flat until it reaches the bottom, and there it thickens up. That’s what I believe anyway.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:27 am

Xeztin wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

Do we know what the time limit is for the movie? Is it possbile to go over 2 hours?
Likely your standard 90 minute feature length, maybe a bit more even.

Doubt it will go over 2 hours.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:05 am

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Oh, my bad. Completely forgot about that image! Though the second one is a lot harder to see. Great to know he DOES have one!

kudo6000
Beyond Newbie

Post by kudo6000 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:10 am

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

That doesn’t look like a tail. Why have it in the first place if it’s so obscure for seemingly the whole movie?

Also, that promo silhouette could be Broly in the past. He doesn’t appear to be wearing armor; although we’ve seen design sheets of !PastBroly and he doesn’t have a tail either.