Frieza's race name

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

p-hyvo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Frieza's race name

Post by p-hyvo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:51 pm

A friend of mine just came up with the fact that, apparently, in db wiki, is written that frieza's race name is shimoni/frost demons.
Is that true or a multiverse fan just wrote that there? If it is true, can I see the interview/ releas where is stated? Thanks everyone

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Frieza's race name

Post by CTAkuma » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:20 pm

Frieza's race name is simply called "Frieza race"

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:25 pm

I always liked 'Arcosians', no matter how non-canon it is.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:29 pm

CTAkuma wrote:Frieza's race name is simply called "Frieza race"
I get this is the most official name we have but it's really dumb. Imagine if we called all black people Luther's race or something because he was seen as a community leader (no racism intended). I lowkey hope we get a name in the upcoming movie. Also what was the race called before Frieza was born? And what about in Frost's Universe where Frieza doesn't exist?

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:58 pm

p-hyvo wrote:A friend of mine just came up with the fact that, apparently, in db wiki, is written that frieza's race name is shimoni/frost demons.
Is that true or a multiverse fan just wrote that there? If it is true, can I see the interview/ releas where is stated? Thanks everyone
Cell calls him that in the English version Xenoverse 2, but in the character creation screen of that same game and pretty much everywhere else I've seen they're just called "Frieza Race" or "Frieza Clan."

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:12 pm

I will always call them K(u)raio-jin because of Cryogen.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:44 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:I always liked 'Arcosians', no matter how non-canon it is.
That has a better ring to it and a 'proper' name for a race of its own than just calling it Freeza Race which seems rather unoriginal and uncreative.
nato25 wrote:Imagine if we called all black people Luther's race or something because he was seen as a community leader (no racism intended).
Talking about race and knowing about it doesn't make a person racist but some get sensitive. Whites are European, Blacks are Africans, Asians are Asians, Arabs are Arabs, Jews are Jews, Native Americans/Native Canadians are Native Indians, and so on.

But then beyond that, there are the sub-races from those categories which isn't necessary to list here, anyway. Although, since Dragon Ball is a Japanese product, the Japanese did and likely still consider themselves (maybe some, not all) to be the Japanese Race than just Asian.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:16 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:That has a better ring to it and a 'proper' name for a race of its own than just calling it Freeza Race which seems rather unoriginal and uncreative.
Ah...but does it sounds as good as Freeza La Raza?
Talking about race and knowing about it doesn't make a person racist but some get sensitive. Whites are European, Blacks are Africans, Asians are Asians, Arabs are Arabs, Jews are Jews, Native Americans/Native Canadians are Native Indians, and so on.

But then beyond that, there are the sub-races from those categories which isn't necessary to list here, anyway. Although, since Dragon Ball is a Japanese product, the Japanese did and likely still consider themselves (maybe some, not all) to be the Japanese Race than just Asian.
Scientifically speaking, there are actually only 4 races. Caucasoid, Negroid, Mongoloid, and Australoid. There is no "European, African, Asian, Arab, Jewish, or Native American" races. Any of the 4 races can be "European, African, and Asian" if they were born or have a lineage in Europe, Africa, and Asia respectively. "Arabs" & "Indians(from India)" are actually genetic offshoots of Caucasoids or just really tan, white people. "Jews" are not a race, but a religious identity. And the "Native American race" is just an offshoot from the same ancestors as "Oriental/Asian" people.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:51 pm

It's always pissed me off that they never gave them a proper name when there's so many of them. Like there's only one Cell, so he can just be Cell. But this race has Freeza, Frost, Coola, Cold, Chilled, Kuriza, and probably a bunch of other dumb video game characters I can't remember the names of. It's not as fleshed-out as say, Nameks, but if Yardrats get to have a name and home planet (albeit not a consistent design lol), why is Freeza's race just Freeza's race? It's difficult because you can only ever speak of it in broad terms. You can't say "he's a Frost demon" or "he's an arcosian", all you can do is "he is a member of the Freeza clan", which just sounds contrived and stupid. It's a very "Sonic's World is called Sonic's World" issue and I hate it.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:03 pm

I always liked to call them "The Winterians". Because they're all named after something cold (Except for Kuriza), I thought calling them "Winterians" would be perfect since it's always freezing during the winter.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:50 am

Back in the 1990s and 2000s they were nicknamed "The Changelings". I rather Arcosians more for some reason, maybe because a "Frieza: The Arcosian Tyrant" title for a card sounds like a Marvel Comics' super-villain title.

p-hyvo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by p-hyvo » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:20 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:I always liked 'Arcosians', no matter how non-canon it is.
Moreover, arcosians Is notte eventi frieza's race, bit the insect like species that vegetation destroied while coming to earth lol

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:25 am

p-hyvo wrote:
Moreover, arcosians Is notte eventi frieza's race, bit the insect like species that vegetation destroied while coming to earth lol
According to the Dragon Ball Z filler with King Kai explaining Goku the history of the Saiyans: The "Arcosians" were the gas-masks and cloaks wearing short aliens who hired the Saiyans to conquer planets for them in return to technology and cash. Long before conquering Earth or Goku were even around. They are allegedly the ones who turned the Saiyans to space pirates from local barabaric and violent savages who were stuck at Planet Vegeta.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:42 am

"Arcosian" is a name fabricated out of thin air in 1996 that appears exclusively in FUNimation's English dub. It is literally nothing.

We have published extensive research and historical context about anything and everything you could possibly wonder or ask for regarding Freeza's race and a formal, proper-noun name (which does not exist). This can all be found on the "Characters" page of this very website's "Rumor Guide".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:48 am

theherodjl wrote:Ah...but does it sounds as good as Freeza La Raza?
Funny, but no. That'd just be a direct translation of 'Freeza Race' to Spanish.
theherodjl wrote:Scientifically speaking, there are actually only 4 races. Caucasoid, Negroid, Mongoloid, and Australoid.
'Caucasoid' is in reference to the term 'Caucasian' which isn't even accurate at all. The real Caucasians are from the Caucasus region that is localized in the Asian continent, and the guy who came up with the term 'Caucasian' made as little sense as a drunkard would. If Europeans really were "Caucasians" then they'd have Caucasian blood but they have European DNA. Same goes for Africans who have African DNA rather than "Negroid".

"Australoids" are a mixture of Africans and Asians with their own differences. Really, the whole -oid terms that existed before are invalid and proven to be incorrect, to say the least.

The Scientist who came up with that was named Mr. Blumenbach and he probably knew little to nothing to come up with such conclusion so for you to rely on that info, it's a bit strange. I did my homework on race and Blumenbach's logic is absurd. Yes, he did do some research but most of his logic went out the window with his assumptions everyone to him looked white by the skulls and whatnot.
theherodjl wrote:"Jews" are not a race, but a religious identity.
Jews are a race and a religious. The Jewish have their own set of DNA and they don't look anything like Europeans, although because of the light skin they have (could say the same for Japanese as well), some assume they are European.
theherodjl wrote:And the "Native American race" is just an offshoot from the same ancestors as "Oriental/Asian" people.
I'll agree with you here. Native Indians did originally come from the Asian continent too but they are vastly different from the rest, even from Indians.

Anyway, this is an interesting conversation to have but certainly off-topic so VegettoEX might request to end it sooner or later.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:02 am

VegettoEX wrote:"Arcosian" is a name fabricated out of thin air in 1996 that appears exclusively in FUNimation's English dub.
I know that, but all I was saying is that I like the name. It sounds good and fits the theme (Arcosian/Arctic).
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:20 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:"Arcosian" is a name fabricated out of thin air in 1996 that appears exclusively in FUNimation's English dub.
I know that, but all I was saying is that I like the name. It sounds good and fits the theme (Arcosian/Arctic).
I avoided typing that exact comment, not to start a comments war over this with Mike. Whoever came with "Arcosians" made a lucky fitting guess.
Anyhows, it seems Toriyama is too lazy to pick a name for these aliens and it's already had been 29 years they're in-existence, could be another 30 years of going nameless if it was up to him while even Gryll's race have a name.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:17 am

Freeza's family, not his race, should have been called "the Cold Blooded".
Cetra wrote:I will always call them K(u)raio-jin because of Cryogen.
This is cool as hell.

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:08 pm

This might be B.S but i recall people saying when freeza's race discovered they can mutate and evolved to stronger beings like king cold, so freezas ancestors who ruled the world probably wiped out their planet in fear of competition.

but as far as i know their race is complete mystery like the daemon realm.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:16 pm

flashback0180 wrote:This might be B.S but i recall people saying when freeza's race discovered they can mutate and evolved to stronger beings like king cold, so freezas ancestors who ruled the world probably wiped out their planet in fear of competition.

but as far as i know their race is complete mystery like the daemon realm.
There is no other information about Frieza's Race history besides the fact that his own family is different than all of them in BOTH power and cruelty due to mutation. Nothing is ever said about their homeworld.