Why does it seem that Gogeta has way more fans than Vegetto?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Why does it seem that Gogeta has way more fans than Vegetto?

Post by Professor Freeza » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:50 am

Title says it all.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Re: Why does it seem that Gogeta has wayy more fans than Vegito?

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:01 am

He won a match?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:38 am

Because Vegetto has been quite controversive over the last few years. Many people who thought he was a permament fusion got disappointed and stopped caring for him, because we've been living in a lie for the past 20 years. Now it seems that Vegetto exists just to bring more merchandise sales or Dokkan $, and lost most of his charm from the Buu saga.

Combine all that with Gogeta about to make his new appearance, and with everything pointing out to him being the key to defeating Broly, you can see why people are switching out.

zDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by zDBZ » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:57 am

As short as it is, Gogeta's fight with Janemba is extremely impressive, and his finishing move is unique. For me, at least, Vegetto overstayed his welcome. I also think Gogeta was the more successful character design; not that there's necessarily anything wrong with Vegetto, but Gogeta's design is simpler, more readable, and a better balance of Goku's and Vegeta's traits.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:35 am

It was also fresh change, fusion, Gogeta says few words, mop the floor with Janemba, the end :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:15 am

Its contrary for me

Vegito always gave me the impression of a character backed by abundant love & craze & fanbase, while Gogeta...mind ya..SSJ Gogeta frm Fusion Reborn (not dat abomination from GT) seemed like...."been there, done that" character.

Think abt it. He's basically Gotenks rip-off. An adult version of Fusion. And hardly even a....line.. Those qualities barely register even as a character

Vegito however was unique right from his Potara Fusion concept...to his intro (Z's Ep 269 @ Boohan). Dude was arguably most powerful fighter in universe, plus his uber-cool trolls both @ Boohan & Zamasu is badass!!

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:57 am

Could be the design, transformation, evolved forms.. personal taste, you know.

I honestly prefer Gogeta to Vegetto, especially Gogeta SSJ4.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:32 pm

Gogeta being a fused character with a SSJ4 form is extremely iconic for a lot of western fans.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:51 pm

He doesn't. Gogeta is simply more hyped up now because of his upcoming appearance in the Broly film. He might not win in the movie though.

If you look at fan art (both East and West), there's much more of it of Vegito than Gogeta. He also seems to get more merchandise too.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:33 am

ricky84 wrote:He doesn't. Gogeta is simply more hyped up now because of his upcoming appearance in the Broly film. He might not win in the movie though.

If you look at fan art (both East and West), there's much more of it of Vegito than Gogeta. He also seems to get more merchandise too.
It's about 50/50 on Gogeta/Vegetto merchandise, from this year (up until November):
Banpresto:
[spoiler]Vegetto
Gogeta
Image[/spoiler]

Bandai:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

December will skew everything in Gogeta's favour since he's getting a shit tonne of stuff, as expected. But both fusions seem to be as popular as each other. It's very rare we go though a month without any sort of fusion merch popping up.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:05 am

Because Gogeta actually accomplished something in his existence. More than Vegetto has in vastly more screen time provided to him.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:41 pm

Gogeta had some spectacular action in comparison to Vegetto.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:06 pm

Gogeta SSJ completely stomped Janemba in badass way
Gogeta SSJ4 was fun and was...SSJ4 which most fans love

Vegito had entertaining fight against Super Buu and disappointing appearance and nerf in Super.
Also, since Vegito was permament until Super, fusing into Gogeta was way more likely to happen in any media which could make people care about Gogeta more while accepting a fact that Vegito most likely won't appear again.
Also, Gogeta was first and Vegito was just Toriyama's answer and pretty much ripoff of Movie 12 idea.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:11 pm

I think it’s natural to be endeared towards an “alternate” version of a pre-existing character. It’s why characters like Goku Black and Tullece are so popular. Gogeta is basically alternate Vegetto.

He also has the best Super Saiyan hair design in the series.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:16 pm

OhHiRenan wrote:I think it’s natural to be endeared towards an “alternate” version of a pre-existing character. It’s why characters like Goku Black and Tullece are so popular. Gogeta is basically alternate Vegetto.

He also has the best Super Saiyan hair design in the series.
You mean Vegetto is alternate Gogeta.
Gogeta was first. Toriyama said that he copied fusion idea from movie 12 and was looking for an alternate way of fusing and then remembered that he was drawing kais with earrings so he created earring fusion because he didn't want to make Gogeta since he was in a movie.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:49 am

I always got the impression Vegito was more popular, at least before he returned for Super.

I like both but I like Vegito more. The way he dominated Buu after we'd seen Buu dominate everyone for so long and absorb everyone was badass. People complain he was too cocky, but there was a method to the madness as he was trying to rescue his sons and Piccolo the whole time. He outsmarted both Buu and the audience by deliberately getting absorbed and was in control all along, and that makes him awesome.

Movie 12 Gogeta had no reason to mess around so ended things quickly like a boss. I understand why people would prefer his more serious no bullshit persona though, and his brief lines and finishing move are all kinds of cool.

GT Gogeta felt like a different character though. They basically had him act like Vegito except he had no reason to mess around which makes him the dumbest Goku Vegeta fusion. He still looks cool and is fun to play in the games, but he dropped the ball for no good reason.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:38 am

Gogeta is a cooler and superior combination of Goku and Vegeta's names than just adding and an "o" to the end. He's less of a comedic character in his first appearance. He has better attacks "big bang kamehameha, his finiher in the movie" He's used more sparingly.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:38 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:Gogeta SSJ completely stomped Janemba in badass way

Vegito had entertaining fight against Super Buu and disappointing appearance and nerf in Super.
Also, since Vegito was permament until Super, fusing into Gogeta was way more likely to happen in any media which could make people care about Gogeta more while accepting a fact that Vegito most likely won't appear again.
Also, Gogeta was first and Vegito was just Toriyama's answer and pretty much ripoff of Movie 12 idea.
There was no nerf in the Super anime, Merged Zamasu got buffed the moment he grew the purple arm.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:08 am

ricky84 wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:Gogeta SSJ completely stomped Janemba in badass way

There was no nerf in the Super anime, Merged Zamasu got buffed the moment he grew the purple arm.
Well from permanent fusion he got turned into 5 minute fusion, even shorter than Gogeta SSJ4.
Also, Fused Zamasu was meant to be weaker than Goku and Vegeta without fusion.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:25 am

Vegito is fine. His demanding fans complain about him because they were expecting him to roflstomp Fused Zamasu (final villain of the most serious arc in Super) in a few seconds and yet also appear in several episodes.