Changing SSJ God and SSJ Blue

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Changing SSJ God and SSJ Blue

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:08 pm

Is there anything you would change about ssj god or ssj blue, whether it be the name design or anything really. Personally, I would change nothing about ssj god except the name. Change it to saiyan god, and have ssj blue (Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan) be just super saiyan god. As for ssj blue, I don´t really like the hair. I know its just a super saiyan god going super saiyan, but it looks bland after awhile, like how you got used to goku having gold hair after he got Mastered Ssj. I think sharper hair or longer hair would really spice things up a bit.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Re: Changing SSJ God and SSJ Blue

Post by TheMikado » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:21 pm

God ki should look different for every user, I.e. Goku gets Red, Vegeta gets blue. That way we would have an investment in seeing what would happen when other characters got God ki.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:34 pm

TheMikado wrote:God ki should look different for every user, I.e. Goku gets Red, Vegeta gets blue. That way we would have an investment in seeing what would happen when other characters got God ki.
I really like that idea. Like wondering what ki color gohan or trunks or broly would have would spice things up, and in the case of Toei, be twice as marketable.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:52 pm

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:Is there anything you would change about ssj god or ssj blue, whether it be the name design or anything really. Personally, I would change nothing about ssj god except the name. Change it to saiyan god, and have ssj blue (Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan) be just super saiyan god.
This is exactly what I'd do. I'd also change Blue evolution to SsjG grade 2. I don't think I would've introduced Blue so fast into the story so I might've kept that for the Zamasu or even tournament of power arc while saving UI for later.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:11 am

If I was to do a big rewrite...

I would make it that ssj God actually WAS 70% of Beerus' power, and the rest of the show up until the ToP were the characters trying to get to that level of power again. Blue would be Goku elevating the tiny remnants of god ki that remained in him after he lost to Beerus by combining them with super saiyan (Vegeta similarly manages this after training with Whis).

Goku would more explicitly try learning mastery of self movement from Whis, and makes tiny progress but ultimately falls short.

Then when Goku fights Jiren, he finally manages to tap into ssj God again, but still loses in a similar manner to UI omen. However when he next activates it, he tries combining it with Whis's teachings and finds that due to the god ki, it is much easier for him to move without thinking, and he unlocks ultra instinct.

Something like that.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:45 am

I would have changed it's design instead of just being a recolor. That just seems lazy. SSJG and SSJB don't look like upgrades. Heck, they look weaker than SSJ3. I hate to bring GT into this but SSJ4 looked like an evolution, an upgrade. I don't think that adding more muscles is the way to go but they should have done more than just recoloring existing forms.

It also doesn't give us a design that airs 'divine' or 'god'. I even prefer the "fake-ssj" form from the Slug movie.

I also didn't like how Goku attained SSJG power.
SSJ1 occurred due to Goku seeing his best friend killed.
SSJ2 occurred due to Gohan not longer surpressing his feelings and snapping when #16 got destroyed.
SSJ4 occurred when Goku transformed from a golden Oozaru back to his human-like form due to his granddaughter, playing on the nature and concept of the Saiyans that has been layed out in the beginning of Z.

SSJG occurred due to the power of friendship and holding hands with 4 other Saiyans.......and a Woman is pregnant of a baby with 1/4th Saiyan blood...

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:27 pm

Jack Bz wrote:If I was to do a big rewrite...

I would make it that ssj God actually WAS 70% of Beerus' power, and the rest of the show up until the ToP were the characters trying to get to that level of power again. Blue would be Goku elevating the tiny remnants of god ki that remained in him after he lost to Beerus by combining them with super saiyan (Vegeta similarly manages this after training with Whis).

Goku would more explicitly try learning mastery of self movement from Whis, and makes tiny progress but ultimately falls short.

Then when Goku fights Jiren, he finally manages to tap into ssj God again, but still loses in a similar manner to UI omen. However when he next activates it, he tries combining it with Whis's teachings and finds that due to the god ki, it is much easier for him to move without thinking, and he unlocks ultra instinct.

Something like that.
Wow that's actually pretty cool.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:22 pm

sintzu wrote:
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:Is there anything you would change about ssj god or ssj blue, whether it be the name design or anything really. Personally, I would change nothing about ssj god except the name. Change it to saiyan god, and have ssj blue (Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan) be just super saiyan god.
This is exactly what I'd do. I'd also change Blue evolution to SsjG grade 2. I don't think I would've introduced Blue so fast into the story so I might've kept that for the Zamasu or even tournament of power arc while saving UI for later.
Agreed with SSG -> Saiyan God and SSGSS -> Super Saiyan God. I might have had SSGSSE -> Super Saiyan Beyond God (beating a God of Destruction FTW). And I would have had SSG not be shafted until the ToP and appear way more than it did throughout the Super anime like the manga did it.

Also, sintzu, my fellow Batman lover: no Shintani SSG Vegeta as your profile pic yet? :lol: :lol: :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:25 pm

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:Also, sintzu, my fellow Batman lover: no Shintani SSG Vegeta as your profile pic yet? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm waiting for high quality images as what we've gotten haven't been that good (Resolution wise).
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:27 pm

sintzu wrote:
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:Also, sintzu, my fellow Batman lover: no Shintani SSG Vegeta as your profile pic yet? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm waiting for high quality images as what we've gotten haven't been that good (Resolution wise).
Ah. I understand that :lol:

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:36 am

Part of the problem was that it just seemed like too many transformations at once, and part of it was the implications of introducing a significantly powered up version of SSG after it had already been shown to be so powerful. I don't know if Toriyama changed his mind about how he wanted SSG to look or it was just the mindset that a new movie news a new form.

I see three options:

1) No SSB or Kaioken-Blue
Keep Super Saiyan God as the standard most powerful form until ultra instinct, but give it a significantly longer build up. Goku temporarily accesses SSG by ritual against Beerus and then strives to access it through training. Regular Super Saiyan is the most powerful form used after that all the way up until Goku fights hit. The Kaioken Blue scene with all its hype plays out more or less the same except the hype is that Goku reveals he can now turn into a Super Saiyan God at will instead of using Kaioken. Vegeta busts out SSG in the Zamasu arc when he gets the upper hand against Black.

2) No SSG
Have the design of Blue be the original Super Saiyan God form. I don't think it looks very godly so don't like that very much, but whatever. Maybe it starts red but turns blue as Goku repeatedly powers up during his fight with Beerus. Then everything plays out more or less the same - Goku and Vegeta both show they can now access this form at will in Resurrection F, Goku combines it with Kaioken from the Universe 6 arc. The reason for keeping the blue colour rather than the red is that the red would look terrible stacked with Kaioken.

3) Delay blue until Universe 6
SSG remains the established most powerful form until Goku vs Hit. Goku and Vegeta use it against Freeza, Vegeta uses it against Cabbe, then they both use it against Hit. Then, once again, in what was the Kaioken scene, Goku reveals he can turn Super Saiyan while he's already a god and busts out Blue for the first time. Kaioken Blue is first used in Goku's beam struggle against fused Zamasu, which is what reveals he can now be damaged.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:03 am

Jack Bz wrote:If I was to do a big rewrite...

Something like that.
I do quite like this idea,

It would be a very unique twist on getting stronger in comparison to other Dragon Ball series.

Goku getting his strongest transformation at the very first arc and trying to get back to that could be a cool idea.

But I guess for it to fully work you'd have to make SSJG a one time transformation for everyone.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:23 am

If I were to fix it, it would be to combine the two of them into one form. Keep the origin and slim build of God mixed with the hair colour and perfect ki control (meaning Kaioken combo and beam struggle with Krillin, the two best things it gave us) of Blue.

This way, you keep the original impact of God and the better contrasting colour of Blue and avoid all the issues Blue had when it debuted, like coming out of nowhere and having a confusing name. Watching Blue debut in theatres for the first time in Res F was meant to be a 'wow' moment, instead it was a 'huh?' Having Goku reveal he can use the form he supposedly lost at the end of Battle of Gods would be a better pop than bringing out an unexplained variation. Then it gets even better when Vegeta does it later, since it pays off his vow to get it at the end of BoG. This would in turn mean that everything going forward until Ultra instinct is under the banner of Super Saiyan God, nice and simple.

Kurakaio

Post by Kurakaio » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:40 am

I feel like I'm one of the only people that think God and Blue are fine the way they are.

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:15 am

There are several ways that I would do it in a better way than the actual ones. Even from something as simple as actually making Beyond God a thing and making Goku and Vegeta have Blue overwrite their old golden SS form, to something more complicated like slowly building up SSGod or Ultra Instict. I feel like I will expand on it later.
Kataphrut wrote:If I were to fix it, it would be to combine the two of them into one form. Keep the origin and slim build of God mixed with the hair colour and perfect ki control (meaning Kaioken combo and beam struggle with Krillin, the two best things it gave us) of Blue.

This way, you keep the original impact of God and the better contrasting colour of Blue and avoid all the issues Blue had when it debuted, like coming out of nowhere and having a confusing name. Watching Blue debut in theatres for the first time in Res F was meant to be a 'wow' moment, instead it was a 'huh?' Having Goku reveal he can use the form he supposedly lost at the end of Battle of Gods would be a better pop than bringing out an unexplained variation. Then it gets even better when Vegeta does it later, since it pays off his vow to get it at the end of BoG. This would in turn mean that everything going forward until Ultra instinct is under the banner of Super Saiyan God, nice and simple.
I want to point out that tecnically SSB should have been just as slim as SSG is. If you see the original Toriyama design, Goky and Vegeta do look slim, but because of Toriyama's modern style. That's also the actual reason for God to be skinny: instead or just sing a red haired base Goku, Yamamuro directly copied Toriyama's design, similary to how anime Goky Black was also not very muscular. For some reason trough Blue was just converted into a recolored SS. Maybe because Toriyama himself wanted it, or because they were just inconsistent? It would make more sense to have the two forms be skinny after all.

Either way I have always loved how the original design of SSB Goku looks. Not a big fan of the Vegeta version tho.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:44 am

Kurakaio wrote:I feel like I'm one of the only people that think God and Blue are fine the way they are.
I'm fine with it, too.

Honestly, all I'd do is link the forms more to Goku attaining Ultra Instinct. Not directly, since Ultra Instinct isn't Saiyan-exclusive power, but perhaps showcase how the breaking of limits in the god forms is part of why Goku entered Ultra Instinct.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:26 pm

Kurakaio wrote:I feel like I'm one of the only people that think God and Blue are fine the way they are.
My only real gripe is with "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan" being the official name.
They should have used Blue from the start, maybe with Goku using SSGSS for the form at first but then being overruled by everybody else using SSBlue.
Hell, it could easily be a running gag, him being the only one using the mouthful name.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:20 pm

ankokudaishogun wrote:
My only real gripe is with "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan" being the official name.
They should have used Blue from the start, maybe with Goku using SSGSS for the form at first but then being overruled by everybody else using SSBlue.
Hell, it could easily be a running gag, him being the only one using the mouthful name.
Well it's technically never called SSGSS in the anime at all, film or DBS. In universe the term SSGSS never existed.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:56 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Well it's technically never called SSGSS in the anime at all, film or DBS. In universe the term SSGSS never existed.
You may want to take a closer look at Dragon Ball Super manga.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:27 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Well it's technically never called SSGSS in the anime at all, film or DBS. In universe the term SSGSS never existed.
You may want to take a closer look at Dragon Ball Super manga.
Hence why I said anime. I'm obviously talking about that.