"Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan" & more coming to U.S. Theaters later this year!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Re: "Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan" & more coming to U.S. Theaters later this year!

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:13 pm

WittyUsername wrote:It’s of course no surprise that the dubs will come with the Japanese music, since outside of including the dub music as an optional choice, the Japanese music has always been the default option that FUNimation has gone for with their dubs. With that being said, I wouldn’t count on Cha La Head Cha La being used. Even with the Japanese music for the movies themselves, they’ll most likely use the Mark Menza theme for the opening.
Movie 8 had Cha-La on the dub with Japanese music track on the DVD.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan" & more coming to U.S. Theaters later this year!

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:06 am

Forgive me if this has been answered already but what do they mean by remastered dubs for this? Did they go back and Kai the script & voice acting?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:52 am

ekrolo2 wrote:Forgive me if this has been answered already but what do they mean by remastered dubs for this? Did they go back and Kai the script & voice acting?
It's probably just poor wording. I assume they mean dubbed, and remastered. Or they call it "remastered" because they use kikuchi's music.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:52 pm

From what I’ve heard people say Movie 8 is one of fUNi’s best Pre-Kai dubs.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:40 pm

Saw the Broly film in theaters. Got a cool Broly card and at first I thought it was going to be subbed because before the film starts it has Japanese Goku talking to Gohan about the film. Guessing that was with the original release back in 93. It was dubbed and the japanese soundtrack with it. First time I saw the film like that, I usually watch the DVD with the english soundtrack which is awsome with Tendril. The crowd I was with laughed when things were funny and I have to say it was an overall a fun experience. Looking forward to Bardock and Fusion Reborn.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:05 am

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:...before the film starts it has Japanese Goku talking to Gohan about the film. Guessing that was with the original release back in 93.
Interesting. That leads me to believe that it actually could be the new HD remaster that recently surfaced in Japan on Netflix. Looking forward to seeing it on Monday night, sounds like it'll be fun.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:52 am

I hear it was the new remaster? If so, that's absolutely fantastic and will bode well for Funimation releasing it on Blu-Ray sooner rather than later.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:06 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I hear it was the new remaster? If so, that's absolutely fantastic and will bode well for Funimation releasing it on Blu-Ray sooner rather than later.
Not necessarily. This is Toei and Fathom behind the screening, not Funi. So, it says very little. However, it does bode well for the idea that Funimation could release it, if they decided to.
I would guess it would only happen in the form of like a 20-movie boxset, since Funi already have their in-house masters of the movies out on individual Blu-Rays, so just releasing that again but with better picture would probably sell poorly.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:00 am

Just got back from walking out of a 7pm screening of Broly (through no fault of Toei's). Sadly, the AMC theater I went to had those retractable aspect ratio masking curtains (not sure what they're actually called) on the top and bottom of the screen, cropping the image even further, effectively turning this into an approximately 2:35:1 screening when it should be 1:85:1. For those who aren't familiar with aspect ratios, imagine someone taking your Funimation blu-rays and slicing a sizeable chunk of the image off the top and bottom. Actually, here, let me just show you exactly what it looked like:

As you can see, it was actually being projected in 1:85:1, but those masking curtains were cutting off even more, turning it into 2:35:1. Needless to say, that does not work for this movie.

The issue was present during the previews, and the manager on duty was aware of the issue and informed me, along with other concerned patrons, that he was standing by and trying to get it fixed. 7pm, the movie starts, aaaaand nothing happens. He eventually leaves the theater saying nothing, and we're left with a terribly over-cropped screening. After about ten minutes or so of sitting in the theater waiting for the problem to be fixed, I walked out to find the manager at the front desk writing down the phone number for Fathom Events on slips of white paper. He informed me that it was "the print that Fathom sent them" and that there was nothing they could do about it, seemingly unaware that I have eyes. Clearly, the "print" seemed to be projecting just fine, the problem was those damn masking curtains. I tried to tell him as much, but he said that was all Fathom's fault. I find it very hard to believe that Fathom is responsible for, and can control, something that is physically placed in front of, or over, the screen. I find it very hard to believe that there isn't simply a button that someone in the theater could have pushed to fix this problem. The only solution he offered me was calling Fathom events myself. Didn't even offer to give me my money back; apparently he assumed that I would be staying to watch this hack job. I had to make it clear that I would not be staying and that I wanted my money back for them to refund me. What a disappointing experience, because...

Had it not been for the damn theater issue, this would have been so cool. Here are the pros:
  • 1) It was definitely the new remaster. From what I was able to see of the image, it looked amazing.

2) While it was the old English dub, I believe it actually was remastered, as it sounded fantastic. It had the original Japanese soundtrack, but it wasn't like the days of old where the dub is slapped over the poor quality mono soundtrack that was whatever Funimation had available to them. It sounded like it was rebuilt from the ground up, using the best quality sources available to them. It was crisp, clear, and I've never heard it sound better. Also, for the record, I am firmly in the pro-original Japanese soundtrack camp.

3) For those of you still wondering, Cha-La Head Cha-La was used in the opening, and, as per what I said above, it sounded stellar.

4) While I mentioned that it was the old English dub, it actually didn't sound too bad from what I heard. I've never watched the dub before, but aside from Vollmer and (shudder) Nadolny, the performances sounded okay. Especially with the remastered soundtrack! Seriously, can't heap enough praise on how good it sounded. I don't know how well the script is translated as I'm not really familiar with this movie (I'm honestly not sure I've ever actually seen the whole thing) but that it something that everyone here is already familiar with.

5) I got the special Broly card, which I guess is cool.
So I'm super bummed that my screening was so jacked-up, picture-wise, because Toei actually did a really good job with this. As has been consistent throughout all the promotion for these screenings, Funimation was nowhere to be found. No mention of them at all.

I'm very curious as to how the Bardock special is going to look when they screen it come November. Will we see a new remaster of that as well? If I'm going to have to sit through that god-awful dub, then I sure hope so.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:54 am

We can't edit posts anymore, huh? Well sorry for the double-post, but I just noticed the new episode of the podcast on the front page in which they covered the remastered video/soundtrack aspects of this screening, so I see that I wasn't providing any revelations there. And as was mentioned in the podcast, I, too, noticed that the subbed trailer for movie 8 played at the beginning of the film was being displayed in the incorrect squished aspect ratio. Like Mike and Meri, slight panic ran through me as I feared that the entire movie might be displayed that way. In my case, however, I was screwed either way. :(

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:21 am

I went last night with my fiance and my theater experience wasn't fantastic, either. There weren't any issues with the picture like you had, MilkMan, but there was no sound at first (luckily they resolved it while they were doing the Crunchyroll trivia segment), and for the first few minutes of the movie they didn't dim the lights. They might've been understaffed, I don't know. It certainly looked pretty, though. I'm glad that Broly fared pretty well script-wise because that's the only reason I was comfortable seeing it. It was also nice to see Cha-La and hear Kikuchi on the big screen. I may see Bardock and Fusion Reborn, but I'll definitely be putting an MP3 of my dub on my phone for that screening if I do.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:30 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I hear it was the new remaster? If so, that's absolutely fantastic and will bode well for Funimation releasing it on Blu-Ray sooner rather than later.
Not necessarily. This is Toei and Fathom behind the screening, not Funi. So, it says very little. However, it does bode well for the idea that Funimation could release it, if they decided to.
I would guess it would only happen in the form of like a 20-movie boxset, since Funi already have their in-house masters of the movies out on individual Blu-Rays, so just releasing that again but with better picture would probably sell poorly.
I'm not so sure, if history is anything to go by fans can and have repurchased the series multiple times over however it gets released, and the movies are no exception. They've been released in singles (in the case of the first 3 both Pioneer and ultimate uncut), 4 packs, double feature DVDs and then double feature Blu-Rays. Despite all that, a lot have been clamouring for Dragon Box - The Movies, this release will be a better version of that (in HD, a scratch resistant format, etc). A 20 movie boxset would also be discouraging for those who only want to buy some of the movies, and those who don't want to double dip on the last two. Its also been nearly a decade since the last release so plenty of newer fans will be willing to buy it even if its in double/triple features again.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:07 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
I'm not so sure, if history is anything to go by fans can and have repurchased the series multiple times over however it gets released, and the movies are no exception. They've been released in singles (in the case of the first 3 both Pioneer and ultimate uncut), 4 packs, double feature DVDs and then double feature Blu-Rays. Despite all that, a lot have been clamouring for Dragon Box - The Movies, this release will be a better version of that (in HD, a scratch resistant format, etc). A 20 movie boxset would also be discouraging for those who only want to buy some of the movies, and those who don't want to double dip on the last two. Its also been nearly a decade since the last release so plenty of newer fans will be willing to buy it even if its in double/triple features again.
Fair points all round.

I think one thing we can probably agree on at this point, however, is that a new release is incoming; Funimation have remastered the audio tracks for at least some of their movie dubs, in the traditional sense of improving the quality by using higher-quality materials, with proper audio mastering put over them that improves the sound... And with this newer video master to go with it in cinema screenings, I think we can very much expect this to come out on Blu-Ray and/or streaming in the west sometime in the probably quite near future. :)

... I just wish MangaUK had held off on doing the Funi movie masters just a bit longer...! I'm probably going to have to import this because of their incompetence about the older Funi masters. :problem:

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:31 am

Went to last night's screening. Still disappointed about no subtitled screening, but the picture and sound were breathtaking at the theater I went to. The preview before the film being squished has been mentioned here and on the podcast, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Bardock special being cropped in the trailer they showed. I hope that won't be the case when it's actually shown in November...
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:10 am

Did anybody else notice the new credits? Interesting it said the audio mastering was done by bang zoom! Right above that it said it localized by funimation. I'm wondering if they just had something to do with fathom presentation or maybe funi outsourced some of the work on the new audio mastering. Either way I agree the dub track sound quality has never sounded this good and this us the first I have heard the japanese score so clearly. Next time I will try to take a picture of the credit.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:28 am

TheMajinRedComet wrote:Did anybody else notice the new credits? Interesting it said the audio mastering was done by bang zoom! Right above that it said it localized by funimation. I'm wondering if they just had something to do with fathom presentation or maybe funi outsourced some of the work on the new audio mastering. Either way I agree the dub track sound quality has never sounded this good and this us the first I have heard the japanese score so clearly. Next time I will try to take a picture of the credit.
Funimation wasn't involved with this release. Toei USA conducted it directly with Fathom. They likely had Bang Zoom remix the audio since they're local.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:56 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:Just got back from walking out of a 7pm screening of Broly (through no fault of Toei's). Sadly, the AMC theater I went to had those retractable aspect ratio masking curtains (not sure what they're actually called) on the top and bottom of the screen, cropping the image even further, effectively turning this into an approximately 2:35:1 screening when it should be 1:85:1. For those who aren't familiar with aspect ratios, imagine someone taking your Funimation blu-rays and slicing a sizeable chunk of the image off the top and bottom. Actually, here, let me just show you exactly what it looked like:

As you can see, it was actually being projected in 1:85:1, but those masking curtains were cutting off even more, turning it into 2:35:1. Needless to say, that does not work for this movie.

The issue was present during the previews, and the manager on duty was aware of the issue and informed me, along with other concerned patrons, that he was standing by and trying to get it fixed. 7pm, the movie starts, aaaaand nothing happens. He eventually leaves the theater saying nothing, and we're left with a terribly over-cropped screening. After about ten minutes or so of sitting in the theater waiting for the problem to be fixed, I walked out to find the manager at the front desk writing down the phone number for Fathom Events on slips of white paper. He informed me that it was "the print that Fathom sent them" and that there was nothing they could do about it, seemingly unaware that I have eyes. Clearly, the "print" seemed to be projecting just fine, the problem was those damn masking curtains. I tried to tell him as much, but he said that was all Fathom's fault. I find it very hard to believe that Fathom is responsible for, and can control, something that is physically placed in front of, or over, the screen. I find it very hard to believe that there isn't simply a button that someone in the theater could have pushed to fix this problem. The only solution he offered me was calling Fathom events myself. Didn't even offer to give me my money back; apparently he assumed that I would be staying to watch this hack job. I had to make it clear that I would not be staying and that I wanted my money back for them to refund me. What a disappointing experience, because...

Had it not been for the damn theater issue, this would have been so cool. Here are the pros:
  • 1) It was definitely the new remaster. From what I was able to see of the image, it looked amazing.

2) While it was the old English dub, I believe it actually was remastered, as it sounded fantastic. It had the original Japanese soundtrack, but it wasn't like the days of old where the dub is slapped over the poor quality mono soundtrack that was whatever Funimation had available to them. It sounded like it was rebuilt from the ground up, using the best quality sources available to them. It was crisp, clear, and I've never heard it sound better. Also, for the record, I am firmly in the pro-original Japanese soundtrack camp.

3) For those of you still wondering, Cha-La Head Cha-La was used in the opening, and, as per what I said above, it sounded stellar.

4) While I mentioned that it was the old English dub, it actually didn't sound too bad from what I heard. I've never watched the dub before, but aside from Vollmer and (shudder) Nadolny, the performances sounded okay. Especially with the remastered soundtrack! Seriously, can't heap enough praise on how good it sounded. I don't know how well the script is translated as I'm not really familiar with this movie (I'm honestly not sure I've ever actually seen the whole thing) but that it something that everyone here is already familiar with.

5) I got the special Broly card, which I guess is cool.
So I'm super bummed that my screening was so jacked-up, picture-wise, because Toei actually did a really good job with this. As has been consistent throughout all the promotion for these screenings, Funimation was nowhere to be found. No mention of them at all.

I'm very curious as to how the Bardock special is going to look when they screen it come November. Will we see a new remaster of that as well? If I'm going to have to sit through that god-awful dub, then I sure hope so.
I had an awful experience with AMC when I went to see One Piece Film Gold in theaters a whole back. The green color channel in the projector seemed to be broken, and it made the colors super duper fucked up. It went from film Gold to Film Teal & Red.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:00 pm

Robo4900 wrote:... I just wish MangaUK had held off on doing the Funi movie masters just a bit longer...! I'm probably going to have to import this because of their incompetence about the older Funi masters. :problem:
Yeah, still bummed about the movies myself, I already have the Funi double features so was hoping to support a UK release for this remaster, but that's just how the cookie crumbles I guess. I was actually messaging Manga UK on Facebook letting them know about these remasters, and advising them against releasing the DBZ Blu-Rays and to wait and see if TOEI does anything with the series next year (amongst other things like trying to pitch Rock the Dragon) so fingers crossed this will be the last time they make the mistake of not holding out when doing so would be ideal.
TheMajinRedComet wrote:Did anybody else notice the new credits? Interesting it said the audio mastering was done by bang zoom! Right above that it said it localized by funimation. I'm wondering if they just had something to do with fathom presentation or maybe funi outsourced some of the work on the new audio mastering. Either way I agree the dub track sound quality has never sounded this good and this us the first I have heard the japanese score so clearly. Next time I will try to take a picture of the credit.
That is interesting, although I guess that means we won't be seeing them outsourcing to Ocean (as they did with Kai, sadly not for the producers of that dub's benefit... at least yet) again anytime soon :( .

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:13 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:I had an awful experience with AMC when I went to see One Piece Film Gold in theaters a whole back. The green color channel in the projector seemed to be broken, and it made the colors super duper fucked up. It went from film Gold to Film Teal & Red.
Every screening I went to for the Sailor Moon movies were also terrible. I think Fathom just sucks.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:34 pm

Kuwabara wrote:Went to last night's screening. Still disappointed about no subtitled screening, but the picture and sound were breathtaking at the theater I went to. The preview before the film being squished has been mentioned here and on the podcast, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Bardock special being cropped in the trailer they showed. I hope that won't be the case when it's actually shown in November...
So there was a trailer for Bardock?

Did it look like a new Toei master that's been cropped down for cinema screenings, or did it look like the crappy Funi master?