"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Beek King » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:56 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:but it's keeping in consistency with not using 'Kakarotto' or 'Hitto'.
Long story short, the "o" vowel sound is used as the dropped-vowel in approximating foreign consonant endings, except in the case of "p-" and "d-" sounds, where the "u" vowel sound is used as the dropped-vowel. Listen in for additional context, comparisons, etc.
Uh... I think you must have mixed things up making this post because it's the -u ending syllables that are used to stand in for single consonants, "t" and "d" are the exceptions because "tu" and "du" don't normally exist in Japanese (トゥ and ドゥ exist for loanwords but using them for that purpose is EXTREMELY rare, literally the only instance I can recall like this is the word エキドゥナ, "echidna"). In some other cases -i endings are also used. But well, if Toppo was intended to be "Top" it'd be "Toppu".

On a slightly offtopic note, this is why I'm probably one of the few people to prefer the name "Vegerot" from Viz. Vegetto might be based off English words but only makes sense in Japanese, and I'm sure "Veget" prounounced vejeet would be even worse.

EDIT: I couldn't listen to the podcast at that moment and it's correct there so I'm only addressing that post, I was sure you of all people wouldn't make that mistake of course.
Do whatever you like, ghost.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:56 pm

Oniman wrote:I wish they got someone like David Hayter to voice a character in Super.
Does he even do voice acting anymore?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:32 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Oniman wrote:I wish they got someone like David Hayter to voice a character in Super.
He is returning as Solid Snake for Smash Ultimate and he recently voiced Zangetsu in Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:04 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
He is returning as Solid Snake for Smash Ultimate and he recently voiced Zangetsu in Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.
He was also King Shark on the Flash.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:40 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:As I've said time and time again, changes like 'Grand Minister', 'Null Realm' and 'Zen Expo' are almost certainly done to better match up with lip flaps. Toppo to 'Top' is going to be harder to take, but it's keeping in consistency with not using 'Kakarotto' or 'Hitto'. It feels weird now because the fanbase has gotten so used to the original sub terms, but ultimately it's no different to what the older generation dealt with things like 'Tien' 'King Kai' and 'Destructo Disc' all those years ago. Watch out for when 'Ultra Instinct' gets changed to something different, then we'll really be in for it.

On an unrelated note, it was nice of Funimation to reanimate the corpse of Peter Lorre and get him on the show. His voice is a natural fit for Lavender.
I doubt UI will be changed, transformations don't get those kinds of alterations.
I certainly hope that is the case. Japan themselves are already using the English of "Ultra Instinct" a lot compared to just "身勝手の極意".

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:39 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:I don’t like their recent decisions at all. They changed Grand Priest to Grand Minister, and while that is a cool name, i doubt english dub fans are suddenly going to call him Grand Minister now over Grand Priest. We’ve gotten too used to it. You don’t change something so big and something that people are so used to. Though in this case, i don’t really mind. What i’m more upset about is changing Toppo to Top. Like, Wtf!? Top does not sound good at all! Top sounds so incomplete and unfinished, it’s like, once you say the word “Top” you automatically want to finish it by saying Toppo. Bad choice!
"Grand Minister" & "Grand Priest" are basically the same thing. This has been said already here, if I'm not mistaken.
"Top" isn't that bad of a shortening, though.
You act like sub fans are the main target audience of the dub. This isn't the case. Sabat has stated that the dub is made for a more casual crowd & is also made in a way that gives a bit of a different viewing experience than the sub. The dub's accurate & playful to the sub, though using a different translation by a different person than Crunchyroll, since Steve Simmons is their go-to guy for DB translations. It's spiced up for its new audience. Hell, Kai was spiced up too, but everyone LOVES that dub. You also have to remember that this is Dragon Ball, a series that, while has its more serious moments, also runs on punny names (the Saiyans are named after vegetables, the Frieza race aliens are named after English words related to cold things, Bulma's family are puns on clothes, etc), so if you can't deal with a guy being named "Top," I don't think that this is the franchise for you.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:46 am

EnergizerConvoy wrote:
ShadowBardock89 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
He was also King Shark on the Flash.
Hayter wouldn't be a bad choice for General Kahseral.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:47 pm

Scsigs wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:I don’t like their recent decisions at all. They changed Grand Priest to Grand Minister, and while that is a cool name, i doubt english dub fans are suddenly going to call him Grand Minister now over Grand Priest. We’ve gotten too used to it. You don’t change something so big and something that people are so used to. Though in this case, i don’t really mind. What i’m more upset about is changing Toppo to Top. Like, Wtf!? Top does not sound good at all! Top sounds so incomplete and unfinished, it’s like, once you say the word “Top” you automatically want to finish it by saying Toppo. Bad choice!
"Grand Minister" & "Grand Priest" are basically the same thing. This has been said already here, if I'm not mistaken.
"Top" isn't that bad of a shortening, though.
You act like sub fans are the main target audience of the dub. This isn't the case. Sabat has stated that the dub is made for a more casual crowd & is also made in a way that gives a bit of a different viewing experience than the sub. The dub's accurate & playful to the sub, though using a different translation by a different person than Crunchyroll, since Steve Simmons is their go-to guy for DB translations. It's spiced up for its new audience. Hell, Kai was spiced up too, but everyone LOVES that dub. You also have to remember that this is Dragon Ball, a series that, while has its more serious moments, also runs on punny names (the Saiyans are named after vegetables, the Frieza race aliens are named after English words related to cold things, Bulma's family are puns on clothes, etc), So if you can't deal with a guy being named "Top," I don't think that this is the franchise for you.
Would you please just tone down this attitude? I don’t think i have to tolerate you speaking for me. I like this franchise. Yes, if i have complaints, i will voice them. Such is my right as a fan. If you don’t like it, than too bad for you. But don’t go starting to tell others wether they are “fit” for a franchise. Also, this is a subjective thing. So any criticism you have towards my points are subjective aswell. I voiced my complaints about Toppo being called Top, because in my opinion, Toppo is much easier and fluent for the mouth. Also, these “dub only fans” are far fewer in number than you think. I’m pretty sure that most people who “prefer” the dub over the sub, have watched it subbed already too. So that argument of yours doesn’t hold as much weight as you like to believe.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:56 pm

Vic and Ayres confirmed!!!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:36 pm

I don't know how on Earth I reversed the explanation on the dropped vowel sounds while typing it out (probably doing too much at once like always), but thanks for pointing it out. Refer to the podcast instead!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:50 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Vic and Ayres confirmed!!!
Source please?
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Vic and Ayres confirmed!!!
Who's Vic going to be playing as?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:15 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote: Source please?
Lord Beerus wrote: Who's Vic going to be playing as?
Official DBS twitter account:
https://mobile.twitter.com/dragonballsu ... 6571617280

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:18 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
That's the movie, not the show.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:44 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
That's the movie, not the show.
I was talking about the movie, I probably should have made that clear.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:37 pm

That release date for the movie means that that the dub won’t have even started with the ToP by that point. That’s going to be a bit awkward for the people who are specifically following the dub.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:45 am

WittyUsername wrote:That release date for the movie means that that the dub won’t have even started with the ToP by that point. That’s going to be a bit awkward for the people who are specifically following the dub.
Would you rather that FUNimation wait over a year to release it, and have people pirating the film from Japan?

Oniman
Banned

Post by Oniman » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:10 am

shadowmaria wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:That release date for the movie means that that the dub won’t have even started with the ToP by that point. That’s going to be a bit awkward for the people who are specifically following the dub.
Would you rather that FUNimation wait over a year to release it, and have people pirating the film from Japan?
That didn't stop them releasing the older movies years later when fans already seen them at that point.
Oh here's to my sweet Satan. The one's who little path would make me sad. Whose power is Satan. He'll give those with him 666.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:00 pm

It's also been five and a half years since BOG originally released in Japan and the world (and the way FUNimation AND Toei handle the franchise) has changed considerably

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:53 am

Oniman wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:
That didn't stop them releasing the older movies years later when fans already seen them at that point.
You mean the films that were released in an age before massive digital piracy & most people didn't know they existed, or Battle of Gods? Battle of Gods was released only a year after it was released in Japan due most likely to Fox holding the film rights up for that time, since they distributed the film in Japan. Battle of Gods had been available for digital pirating for a year, but the other films had mostly been distributed through subbed VHS tapes. Hard to say they're really comparable.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs