By design, what is your favorite Saiyan transformation?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

By design, what is your favorite Saiyan transformation?

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:39 pm

Mine is Ultra Instinct Omen. I just love the simplistic look and the idea behind a true God Form being as close as possible to a Saiyan’s Base Form. I have always liked the color black the most for a Saiyan. Black hair, silver eyes and a beautiful multicolored silver aura along with the perfect ability to auto dodge any threat without the need to even acknowledge them. Black is a dark and therefore a powerful looking color.

So here’s my list from favorite to least favorite by terms of design/looks:

1. Ultra Instinct Omen.

2. SSJ Rosé (i thought this one looked especially OUTSTANDING!)

3. SSJ God (i love the color RED. It’s a darker and more ferocious looking color than Blue and Yellow)

4. SSJ Blue Evolution (i especially like the snowflake kind of sparkles) aswell as the fully formed eyes like SSJ God and Ultra Instinct. I also like the darker color blue more than the lighter version.

5. SSJ Blue.

6. Ultra Instinct.

7. SSJ2.

8. Super Saiyan 3.

9. SSJ1. (I don’t like yellow at all, it’s a light and weak looking color imo)

So what is your list from favorite to least favorite?

Post yours!

Xeztin
I Live Here

Re: By design, what is your favorite Saiyan transformation?

Post by Xeztin » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:56 pm

Mine is SSJ4, SSG, and SSJ2 from greatest to least. The original depiction of SSJ in that artstyle was awesome on Namek. I hated SSJ by the Boo arc because it wasn’t intended for that art style. It just looks off with more pikes for some reason. Really, everything else is a recolor. I liked UI as well but all in all the first 3 I mentioned are my favs.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:00 pm

My list
1.SSJ(Buu Arc/GT Artstyle)
2.SSJ4
3.MUI
4.SSG
5.UI
6.SSJ2
7.SSR
8.SS3
9.SSB
10.SSBE
GT Fighter

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:11 pm

1. Super Saiyan - A simple, to the point design that looks great on every single character. Yellow pairs well with everyone's design as well.

2. Super Saiyan 3- It's a conceptually interesting design with a great design. I love how subversive SSJ3 feels, and you really get the sense that it's the apex of the Super Saiyan transformation in the original series. Almost uncomfortably so.

3- Super Saiyan 2- Looks great on everyone, especially Goku, but is too visually similar to SSJ. Still great, though.

4- Super Saiyan God- Red is a great color on Goku and it's a nice reset to the SSJ line.

5- Super Saiyan Rose- Looks outstanding on Goku Black. Pink and black is a great combination.

6- Ultra Instinct/Mastered Ultra Instinct- I love the concept behind UI, but I'm not sold on the white yet.

7- Super Saiyan Blue- The blue looked GREAT when Goku and Vegeta were wearing their RoF outfits. It just looks vile and out of place on their current OG outfits. Blue looks a bit better on Goku when he's just undershirt + pants, though.

8- Super Saiyan Evolution- Utterly hideous.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:01 pm

My top 5:

1) Ultra Instinct Omen: one of the reasons I love the "Unlocked Potential" form Gohan gets is because it's simply him bringing out his full potential. No need for a transformation. That's what I got with Omen. This is Goku's pinnacle: a form even the GoDs can't even attain. The Mastered version was honestly underwhelming, both in appearance and it's showing in the show (he gets hit more in the Mastered form then he does in the Omen). Plus, I love the lack of dialogue (ignoring the Kefla fight)

2) Super Saiyan 4: this form to me is the peak of what a Saiyan can reach naturally. This form is the culmination of everything about a Saiyan: Great Ape, Super Saiyan, coming into focus as an ape, and raw power. Everything about this form is so primal. And I love it

3) Super Saiyan Rose: I love the idea of a corrupted God form, and Rose was great. Especially when we got the other corrupted attacks like the Rose Kamehameha and the Energy Blade (or Divine Lasso)

4) Super Saiyan 3: Yes, this form looks silly. It's been parodied to death. But I'll never forget the feeling I had as a kid watching the Buu Saga for the first time and seeing this form. It blew my mind, and has since become one of my favorite forms for characters to get as what-if forms.

5) Super Saiyan God: I'll admit, when Battle of Gods first came out, I hated this form. I saw it and thought "what is this, Kaioken?" But since, the form has grown on me and I love the idea. Especially since it's been re-introduced as a form that can be transformed into, not just being absorbed into base

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:40 pm

I agree with a decent portion of this thread, for the most part. UI forms and SSJ4 reign supreme, for me. Closely followed by SSJ3.
That said, unlike most, I don't particularly hate any forms. They're all cool in my book, none of'em look particularly bad when drew with effort. SSJ looks cool and the rest are jus spin-offs of that same look; besides my favorites which are decent departures, but luckily look cool, anyway.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:45 pm

My favorite Saiyan transformation is the pinnacle of awesomeness, that is Super Saiyan 2.

It is simple, of little changes compared to its predecessor yet possessing an even aggressive, imposing look. When characters use it when there is no sound playing but the sound of electricity of the form just gives me chills every time. Super Saiyan 2 represents everything I would want from a design perspective. If you want to tell your audience that something changed but comes from the same root or that it's something kind of different but it is still related, just add details, minor change. There is no need to be so flashy, to adhere to the idea that "more is more" when in most of the cases the best path always ends up being "less is more".

As for Super Saiyan Second Grade, Super Saiyan Third Grade and Super Saiyan God - I couldn't care less (though they do make it to the list of forms that shouldn't really have been created). Super Saiyan God at least should have had Ultra Instinct's appearance, I would appreciate it if it was the case.

As for Super Saiyan 3, Super Saiyan 4, Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan Rage and Super Saiyan Rosé - I'm just gonna paraphrase what Baby Vegeta says in XV2: "Flashy transformations with no substance".

Oh, and now there is trend for green-haired Super Saiyan... The pinnacle of ugliness.

With all this never-ending transformations for Saiyans, all they do is making me wish they should have just used False Super Saiyan instead, that one was simple and a good-looking form, so it would be better than most of these new ones.

Of course, we can't forget that Saiyans transformations also include Oozaru: I'm indifferent to the Oozaru transformation. Monkey is not an animal that draws my attention so it's a big whatever. Also, its theme is not interesting at all. Toriyama just copied the werewolf myth and used it. To which I have to say, Dragon Ball Evolution made the Oozaru transformation a lot better. Using the eclipse to trigger the transformation was clever, it makes the form rarer and more unique, and you have a bigger sense of terror than just looking at the moon.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:28 am

As of right now, Anger Broly. It has all the parts of Super Saiyan 4 that I did like without any of the ones I didn't.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:39 am

By far Ssj2 as it takes an already perfect design (Ssj1) and makes it even more epic with the electric aura and spikier hair. Ssj3 would be next as its look great and the amount of power and time it took to reach along with how hard it is on the body makes it feel like a truly otherworldly form. I wish this was Ssj2 as the Ssj2 we know functions more like a perfected Ssj1 rather than a completely new form like Ssj3 is. UI Omen is my 3rd choice as it finally made the Saiyan's base form relevant again and unlike Super's recolored forms which just come off as lazy, its simplicity works very well. After that would be Ssj4 as it takes everything we know about the concept and changes it completely and to make things better, it works. The grade forms Vegeta and Trunks used to fight Cell are just muscled up versions of the original Ssj but unlike Ssj2 they don't have the same impact which is why they're near the bottom of the list. Lastly would be Super's recolored forms (Red, Blue, Pink and White) which like I said above, just come off as lazy.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:23 am

Perhaps it is not a transformation per se, but I would have to choose Fused Zamasu's strange-looking Super Saiyan Rosé state:
I absolutely love the white saiyan hair on a kai, and the rainbow-coloured ki aura. It gives off such a chilling and menacing feeling.

Plus I love that when Fused Zamasu's body started to deteroriate, his aura turned from the colours of the rainbow, to just rose. Just with Goku Black, It was meant to represent beauty, glory, but also decadence, death, corruption, proof that Zamasu had given into his darker instincts of murder and hatred. The symbolism behind Super Saiyan Rosé is brilliant. I don't know if it's just fan reading way too much into it or if Toriyama planned it, but it is awesome nonetheless.

Starscreacher

Post by Starscreacher » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:25 am

1 Super Saiyan Blue
2 Super Saiyan Rosè
3 Super Saiyan 2
4 Ultra Instinct (both)
5 Super Saiyan God

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:52 am

In no particular order:
SSG (without aura)- Love the slim build, the fact it's re-work of Goku's base hair with one protruding bang, love the colouring and the fact it has the pupil
SSGSS- Loved how in DBS by accident or not the protruding bang for Goku was kept from SSG, love the colour blue, think this massively improves over the bland and boring yellow SS colouring we've had for decades. It did look even better on RF outfits. Seems the movie is giving Goku long frontal bangs.
SSR- Black and pink worked really well! Also the subtle difference of the Black's loose hair strand was a nice touch.
Ultra Instict/ "Omen"- Love both equally, perfect design love the wild style of Goku's base hair. Goku's back definition is pretty great too.

Honourable mentions:
SS2 (Goku only): Big bang in the middle and the bangs on the side and even spikier than SS, shame about the colour.
SS4 (Goku and Gogeta only): Love the red fur on Goku and hair, like how it also went back to using a tail. Gogeta liked the red hair. Vegeta looks trash in SS4 though.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:11 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:As of right now, Anger Broly. It has all the parts of Super Saiyan 4 that I did like without any of the ones I didn't.
I agree! That one is definitely up there too for me! Right alongside UI Omen! I love his color black, the hairstyle, and especially the yellow eyes! That’s my new favorite design now!

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:05 am

Grimlock wrote:My favorite Saiyan transformation is the pinnacle of awesomeness, that is Super Saiyan 2.

It is simple, of little changes compared to its predecessor yet possessing an even aggressive, imposing look. When characters use it when there is no sound playing but the sound of electricity of the form just gives me chills every time. Super Saiyan 2 represents everything I would want from a design perspective. If you want to tell your audience that something changed but comes from the same root or that it's something kind of different but it is still related, just add details, minor change. There is no need to be so flashy, to adhere to the idea that "more is more" when in most of the cases the best path always ends up being "less is more".

As for Super Saiyan Second Grade, Super Saiyan Third Grade and Super Saiyan God - I couldn't care less (though they do make it to the list of forms that shouldn't really have been created). Super Saiyan God at least should have had Ultra Instinct's appearance, I would appreciate it if it was the case.

As for Super Saiyan 3, Super Saiyan 4, Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan Rage and Super Saiyan Rosé - I'm just gonna paraphrase what Baby Vegeta says in XV2: "Flashy transformations with no substance".

Oh, and now there is trend for green-haired Super Saiyan... The pinnacle of ugliness.

With all this never-ending transformations for Saiyans, all they do is making me wish they should have just used False Super Saiyan instead, that one was simple and a good-looking form, so it would be better than most of these new ones.

Of course, we can't forget that Saiyans transformations also include Oozaru: I'm indifferent to the Oozaru transformation. Monkey is not an animal that draws my attention so it's a big whatever. Also, its theme is not interesting at all. Toriyama just copied the werewolf myth and used it. To which I have to say, Dragon Ball Evolution made the Oozaru transformation a lot better. Using the eclipse to trigger the transformation was clever, it makes the form rarer and more unique, and you have a bigger sense of terror than just looking at the moon.
lol how is SSJ4 a "flashy Transformation with no substance" :D
GT Fighter

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Super Saiyan 4.

Super Saiyan 3 is a very close second.

Not a fan of any of the DBS forms except for Ultra Instinct Omen. The auras look cool but not enough for me to like them. They’re all pretty lame.

Least favorite is by far Super Saiyan Bluer. I mean Blue Evolution. :P

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:08 pm

4, Omen and OG SS1 are the best. The rest I don't like or am very indifferent too.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:15 pm

I've grown disillusioned from the tenor of Saiyan transformations some time ago. Most of them I feel either indifferent or antipathetic towards. The few that have managed to retain a soft spot in my mind would be the classic Super Saiyan form from Namek, Gohan realising his potential as it culminates in the form of Super Saiyan at the Cell Games (before it just became another numerically charted classification of form by the next arc), and maybe Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken combined since I feel like it's an appropriate development for Goku to take the lessons that he was imparted with from old teachers and incorporate them into his new style. In regards to Ultra Instinct, I wish it had remained a strictly technical ability instead of a quasi transformation that probably no one except Goku and maybe Vegeta will use.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:29 pm

Super Saiyan Rosé is so good. Maybe a little bias as pink and purple are my favorite colors and it has the combination of both.

I'm also going to put False Super Saiyan in the Lord Slug movie. It has hints of Kaioken, Super Saiyan and the Berserk/Legendary Super Saiyan eyes in one which is pretty sick.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:01 am

Probably Ssj2, Ssj God and UI Omen. I also kinda liked the vivid deep blue coloration of SSjBE.

As for SSj4, I'm not really on the bandwagon on account of the coloration, which to mee feels both illogical and ill-fitting of a "final" Saiyan form. Looks more like a transitional state than a final form tbh, much like UI Sign. The latter, though, is precisely that, and that makes all the difference in the world.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:50 am

GT_Goten10 wrote:lol how is SSJ4 a "flashy Transformation with no substance" :D
You tell me. How is Super Saiyan 4 different from all the other flashy forms with no substance?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~