DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Big Boss
Regular

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Big Boss » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:27 am

If Kaiser decides to use this for the Goten and Trunks fight in the tournament then I will fucking die. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KGvn7gNJaU

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:00 pm

Big Boss wrote:If Kaiser decides to use this for the Goten and Trunks fight in the tournament then I will fucking die. :)

Then you better start writing your will!
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:23 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
Big Boss wrote:If Kaiser decides to use this for the Goten and Trunks fight in the tournament then I will fucking die. :)

Then you better start writing your will!

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:33 pm

Inb4 Kaiser uses something else for the Goten vs Trunks fight... like Mezase Tenkaichi.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:51 pm

YamiGoku wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:Android 17 actually mentions a boat when they realize they have to go to Kame house.

Also, you couldnt pay me to make the My Way scene shorter. XD
I also had a problem with Cell song the first time, because everything was kinda serious during the beam clash, i was expecting something more dramatic or "epic" to finish the fight, so the song catch me off guard in the wrong way and i couldn't appreciate it, but when i watched the episode again today, i was prepared for it, and i found it actually funny and I enjoyed Taka performance a lot more.
The Frank Sinatra bit worked for me because I like to imagine that, during the last few moments of his life, Cell is kind of happy because he got what he wanted: He was able to achieve perfection, and engage in a fight with the strongest fighter in the galaxy. Granted, he still lost and Cell was that much of a sore loser that he tried blowing up the earth almost immediately after it became apparent that Gohan was stronger. But I like to imagine that song signify that at the end of it all, he had a blast.

Really curious how you'll treat Vegeta next saga. It's been kinda crazy watching him begin as the resident badass of DBZA to now being just as much of butt-monkey as Krillin or Yamcha. That's definitely gonna add a lot of baggage when he decides to turn Majin.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:16 pm

-Season 3 final-

Congratulations TFS! You guys went out with a bang! :clap:

One thing I always loved about TFS is how professional their work looks (from Freeza arc onwards) and their knowledge about the source material, which makes them able to foreshadow everything they want and make the story flow much better.

The voice actors are also really good and this episode just made me think even more that MasakoX in a more serious dub would do a much better Toriyama Goku than Superman Schemmel ever did. This part was fucking phenomenal!

I also like the fact that MasakoX voices both Adult Goku and Gohan, because besides the japanese and portuguese version I don't know any other dub does that.

And thanks for the subtitles, once again. It really helps for non native english speakers like me to understand some lines.
See you, next season!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:57 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:-Season 3 final-

Congratulations TFS! You guys went out with a bang! :clap:

One thing I always loved about TFS is how professional their work looks (from Freeza arc onwards) and their knowledge about the source material, which makes them able to foreshadow everything they want and make the story flow much better.

The voice actors are also really good and this episode just made me think even more that MasakoX in a more serious dub would do a much better Toriyama Goku than Superman Schemmel ever did. This part was fucking phenomenal!

I also like the fact that MasakoX voices both Adult Goku and Gohan, because besides the japanese and portuguese version I don't know any other dub does that.

And thanks for the subtitles, once again. It really helps for non native english speakers like me to understand some lines.
See you, next season!
I mean, I don't think MasakoX would go over well in a serious dub at all. His voice is just too nasally & high pitched for Goku. Nozawa's is more grating & high pitched too. Schemmel bassed his performance off of Peter Kalemis' take ont he character, which was in turn based off of Ian James Corlett's, much in the same way that Lex Lang's was informed by Schemmel's, but his vocal chords couldn't handle that kind of voice. Schemmel just has so much power & authority in his Goku voice when he wants to. In fact, it's not even Superman. I can't imagine any variation of Superman having Schemmel's Goku voice. Then again, that might've been the Z dub's terrible scripting & handling of the character, which should be discarded altogether due to Kai, the later movies, & Super's dubs being a LOT more closer in translation to the Japanese, since they actually care about accuracy nowadays (which, people will argue otherwise, but I tend to ignore those people).

In terms of Goku & Gohan sharing the same VAs, I don't know why a dub would keep that whatsoever. Nozawa's performances as every member of Goku's family literally sounds the exact same no matter the character. She literally only has a few voices; kid, teen, & older teen & it's distracting as all hell. I don't care if she's Toriyama-approved, having her voice all of Goku's family wasn't a good idea. The differences in her performances for them are so minute that you literally have to speak Japanese, or watch the show 100 times, or listen closely enough, to notice any real differences. But, there have been some cases where Goku & Gohan have shared the same VAs in the English dubs. Mainly when they're kids. In the Canadian-casted dubs, Saffron Henderson played Goku in FUNi's test dub of DB, then played Gohan in Z. For the American casts, Stephanie Nadolny played both as kids for the longest time, then Colleen Clinkenbeard took over in Kai for both. I'll let you decided who was better. Otherwise, having them voiced by different people as adults is the best call.

Even TFS have Justin Briner set to voice older Gohan in the Buu Saga, so it's not like they don't see the value in that.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:15 am

The more I hear Cell sing "My Way," the more I love it. Kudos, Kaiser. Loved every second of 60.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:41 am

Scsigs wrote:Schemmel bassed his performance off of Peter Kalemis' take ont he character, which was in turn based off of Ian James Corlett's,
I’m sorry but I don’t hear Kelamis in Schemmel’s performance at all. I definitely hear Schemmel doing Corlett but Kelamis pretty much did his own thing while Schemmel did Corlett (as he was probably directed to in 1999!

. Schemmel just has so much power & authority in his Goku voice when he wants to.
Too bad Goku isn’t an authoritarian.

But, there have been some cases where Goku & Gohan have shared the same VAs in the English dubs. Mainly when they're kids. In the Canadian-casted dubs, Saffron Henderson played Goku in FUNi's test dub of DB, then played Gohan in Z. For the American casts, Stephanie Nadolny played both as kids for the longest time, then Colleen Clinkenbeard took over in Kai for both. I'll let you decided who was better. Otherwise, having them voiced by different people as adults is the best call..
And it hasn’t worked once. Henderson? Underwhelming Goku. Terrific Gohan. Nadolny? Passable Goku. Horrid horrid Gohan. Clinkenbeard? Acceptable Gohan. Horribly miscast Goku.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:07 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Schemmel bassed his performance off of Peter Kalemis' take on the character, which was in turn based off of Ian James Corlett's,
I’m sorry but I don’t hear Kelamis in Schemmel’s performance at all. I definitely hear Schemmel doing Corlett but Kelamis pretty much did his own thing while Schemmel did Corlett (as he was probably directed to in 1999!
I mean, Corlette came before Kalemis & Kalemis was only Goku for a little while, so it's possible he took inspiration from both, since they had to mimic the Canadian cast as well as they could. There ARE similarities between the 3 of them, as I'm sure you can see.
Schemmel just has so much power & authority in his Goku voice when he wants to.
Too bad Goku isn’t an authoritarian.[/quote]
I don't see why that has anything to do with that. Goku needs a voice that can get pretty commanding when it needs to. Schemmel has that.
But, there have been some cases where Goku & Gohan have shared the same VAs in the English dubs. Mainly when they're kids. In the Canadian-casted dubs, Saffron Henderson played Goku in FUNi's test dub of DB, then played Gohan in Z. For the American casts, Stephanie Nadolny played both as kids for the longest time, then Colleen Clinkenbeard took over in Kai for both. I'll let you decided who was better. Otherwise, having them voiced by different people as adults is the best call..
And it hasn’t worked once. Henderson? Underwhelming Goku. Terrific Gohan. Nadolny? Passable Goku. Horrid horrid Gohan. Clinkenbeard? Acceptable Gohan. Horribly miscast Goku.[/quote]
Um...I didn't say they all worked, I said that that's what happened. What was the point of this? If this is responding to my talking about the fact that I don't think Nozawa works as them either, you should've put that in the quote too. I'm well aware that each actress works better as one character than the other, but that doesn't fix the problem since the studios aren't going to pick which actresses work the best for each.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:08 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Schemmel bassed his performance off of Peter Kalemis' take on the character, which was in turn based off of Ian James Corlett's,
I mean, Corlette came before Kalemis & Kalemis was only Goku for a little while, so it's possible he took inspiration from both, since they had to mimic the Canadian cast as well as they could. There ARE similarities between the 3 of them, as I'm sure you can see.
Schemmel just has so much power & authority in his Goku voice when he wants to.
Too bad Goku isn’t an authoritarian.
I don't see why that has anything to do with that. Goku needs a voice that can get pretty commanding when it needs to. Schemmel has that.
And it hasn’t worked once. Henderson? Underwhelming Goku. Terrific Gohan. Nadolny? Passable Goku. Horrid horrid Gohan. Clinkenbeard? Acceptable Gohan. Horribly miscast Goku.
Um...I didn't say they all worked, I said that that's what happened. What was the point of this? If this is responding to my talking about the fact that I don't think Nozawa works as them either, you should've put that in the quote too. I'm well aware that each actress works better as one character than the other, but that doesn't fix the problem since the studios aren't going to pick which actresses work the best for each.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:40 pm

Scsigs wrote:The differences in her performances for them are so minute that you literally have to speak Japanese, or watch the show 100 times, or listen closely enough, to notice any real differences.
I don't need to know Japanese to note any differences in the voices she does for Goku, Gohan and Goten. Sure, it probably wasn't necessary for her to voice all three, but she's a great actress.

And even if she sounded grating and too high-pitched to my ears, I'd still gladly take her over Schemmel in Season 3. At least she could put on a good performance for Goku while it took Schemmel more than ten years to give a great performance as the character.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:43 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:And even if she sounded grating and too high-pitched to my ears, I'd still gladly take her over Schemmel in Season 3.
And I'd gladly watch The Room rather than Manos: Hand of Fate. One being better than the other doesn't make it good :P ...
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:10 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:The differences in her performances for them are so minute that you literally have to speak Japanese, or watch the show 100 times, or listen closely enough, to notice any real differences.
I don't need to know Japanese to note any differences in the voices she does for Goku, Gohan and Goten. Sure, it probably wasn't necessary for her to voice all three, but she's a great actress.

And even if she sounded grating and too high-pitched to my ears, I'd still gladly take her over Schemmel in Season 3. At least she could put on a good performance for Goku while it took Schemmel more than ten years to give a great performance as the character.
To be fair to Schemmel, he hadn't acted a day in his life before he booked the part in 1999 & had to work for an, at the time, fledgling company & with an inexperienced crew, so his performance naturally reflected that, so I cut him slack. I mean, it's cringeworthy at best, but I at least understand why. Even so, I still like Nadolny & Hebert as Gohan & Edwards as Goten despite that. Mostly because they could at least act (mainly Hebert & Edwards there. Nadolny is surprisingly base breaking as I understand it).

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:30 am

To get back on topic, who does TFS have pinned to be Goten and Kid Trunks?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:31 am

I'm wondering about the way you wrote the scene where Satan takes credit for the win - is Jimmy encouraging him to do so?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:31 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:To get back on topic, who does TFS have pinned to be Goten and Kid Trunks?
Pretty sure MasakoX will voice Goten just a hunch

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:20 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
ShadowBardock89 wrote:To get back on topic, who does TFS have pinned to be Goten and Kid Trunks?
If he was, I think he'd be voicing Goten in his Dragon Ball fanfic instead of someone else.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:34 pm

Kanassa wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:
If he was, I think he'd be voicing Goten in his Dragon Ball fanfic instead of someone else.
Ye, Boo Gohan wasn't voiced by him in Android 13 so I think Goten won't be either. Bardock and Future Gohan weren't voiced by him either.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:00 pm

I think I remember ages AGES ago them saying Lani was going to voice Goten. But loads of things have changed since then, so who knows.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix