Thoughts on adapting Broly in an ongoing role for Dragon Ball Super

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rads

Thoughts on adapting Broly in an ongoing role for Dragon Ball Super

Post by Rads » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:17 am

This is an interesting thing that has been bugging me since the film's villain was announced to be Broly. Personally, I would love to see a rivalry between Goku Broly and Vegeta. Increasing the total number of full-blooded Saiyans in the cast to 3. But that's only something I personally would like to see. However, I do not know how the community feels about. I am open to opinions on this issue so please tell me how you feel about this happening to Broly if it ever does? Do you think he should be a villain that just dies and returns and dies again like Frieza or do you think he should become more of an anti-hero or a rival to Goku and Vegeta or do you want to go even further than that? Looking forward to reading the responses.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Opinions on this concept on dbs broly?

Post by CTAkuma » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:33 am

As a Broly fan from the beginning i'm fine if he becomes an anti-hero, it just has to be done well for it to be believable that this guy who was known for being a force of nature who loved destruction suddenly wants to protect the universe. Also i don't want to see a gimmicky romance deal again especially not on a character like Broly, i rather him be a lone wolf type character

sintzu
Banned

Re: Thoughts on adapting Broly in an ongoing role for Dragon Ball Super

Post by sintzu » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:00 am

There's a character design of him in base with his new clothes ripped up so I think he'll survive which makes sense as he's being brought back for popularity reasons so keeping him around would be the logical thing to do. If he does survive which is likely I agree that maybe he'll become a main cast member and take over the anti-hero role Vegeta had during the Namek and Cell arcs which will create a new, 3 way rivalry between Him, Goku and Vegeta.
Last edited by sintzu on Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:01 am

If he's alone I think he'll end up wandering the stars in search of meaning.

If they do pair Chelye up with him I think they'll become space pirates together in a Bonnie and Clyde style duo.

I don't think he'll stay on Earth though. There's no one bonding him to it for the same reason Hit didn't stay.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:05 am

If Broli just becomes a standard main character after this movie, I don't think the majority could physically watch the show anymore because their eyes would be rolled too far back into their heads.

That said, if he stays alive and vanishes for a while, and it's clear he has a very specific story purpose that will be cleared up shortly after he returns and then he dies/vanishes for good, I'd be fine with him coming back.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:00 am

If Chelye is a Tsufuru-jin, we could see a Saiyan hybrid in the future if they don't kill her and Broli off in the movie.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:20 am

I don't remember Tsufurians having green skin...or Toriyama acknowledging them as an official part of the story in the last two decades.

Anyway, me wanting Broly to stick around is entirely dependent on whether the movie makes him good or at least tolerable as a character. If he has some semblance of a personality or (good) motivation then sure. It'd be cool to see him as a recurring member of Freeza's team (which they should really get around to not killing off anymore, though his last group sucked), since I believe adding more competent and diverse fighters to his side will go a long way into making him a believable foe again (show his putting that whole Galactic Emperor thing to use!). That said, it'd also be an interesting dynamic to see him converted to Goku's side, most notably from how Vegeta would view, interact with, and relate to him. Or hell, trigger some latent badness in Vegeta that he'd been repressing since the Buu saga. Be a nice explanation for why he's written as still being such an asshole rather than most of the writers not quite understanding his post-Buu personality.

But again, this all is entirely dependent on Broly not being a hulking, near-mute manchild incapable of stirring any sympathetic emotions from me. I fully believe that's a possibility, but I'm not getting my hopes up until I have proper proof.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:39 pm

I'd definitely like to see a strong antagonist that can foil Goku (and Vegeta). Definitely happy Freeza is not a joke and is powerful enough to be that guy. I'd prefer Freeza over Broly too but if Broly joins Freeza that would be an interesting dynamic. Dragon Ball just needs more world building to get that to work. Problem with the tournament of power is that there is this opportunity to grow a multiverse that can be explored. Instead, they threw what they said was the strongest of each universe and then proceeded to have these strongest villains curb stomped. What would be the point of exploring more? Now we are stuck with pre-established threats which is not a bad thing (Freeza could be a plot foil for the protagonists even if he is not the main antagonist for an arc) but we don't have anything outside of the main universe now.

I would like Goku's childhood friends have way more of a main role. All Tenshinhan is train like Vegeta but peaked when he was a teen? Makes no sense considering the Earthlings were a few steps behind Goku but could catch up in a shorter amount of time with the same training. Somehow Krillin is the most powerful human despite giving up training and fighting... My point being is that they give the Earthlings nonsense for character development and, while not really developing the Saiyans, give the Saiyans direction because the plot demands it without sense. So now we have Broly... will he be interesting? Will he regress like Vegeta's character has? Time will tell but based on how they mistreated the original cast, I can't see it being more than merchandising driven rather than proper story telling taking place to advance the future arcs forward.

I'm excited but going in with low expectations and preparing for disappointment. I predict the animator's work will be what is worth coming out of this movie, not the plot.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:27 pm

I never thought there was anything to worry about with regards to the other universe fighters because they A. can have a higher capacity for improvement and speed of improvement or B. can just be the strongest in the universe that we knew of, not necessarily that existed. After all, there's possibility that Broly is stronger than Jiren, so it's not like there can't be other universe characters who just didn't know about the ToP at all.

That said, I always thought a good story idea would be for Frieza to be hanging around, hiding out in other weaker universes while he grows in power since he knows he can't beat Goku at the present. Becoming training buddies with Broly would be a good way to show that growth.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:37 pm

If his backstory and personality are well-done, sure. Even though I don't really like the idea of increasing the number of relevant Saiyans in the cast, a crew composed of Goku-Broly-Vegeta with the occasional Jiren, Toppo, Hit, 17 or Freeza encounter/team-up could provide some interesting dynamics.

However, I expect Broly to remain relatively unchanged in spite of Toriyama's comments, so he could rot in hell for all I care.

Also, what's up with these theories that he'll end up with Chelye? What did I miss?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:15 pm

Modern Broly is looking as though he might be on his way to becoming a Super Saiyan Legendary God, even moreso than Goku was himself (which to be honest, Goku's Super Saiyan God was shit and sort of useless considerin Super Saiyan Blue is used more often).

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:21 pm

Doctor. wrote:If his backstory and personality are well-done, sure. Even though I don't really like the idea of increasing the number of relevant Saiyans in the cast, a crew composed of Goku-Broly-Vegeta with the occasional Jiren, Toppo, Hit, 17 or Freeza encounter/team-up could provide some interesting dynamics.

However, I expect Broly to remain relatively unchanged in spite of Toriyama's comments, so he could rot in hell for all I care.

Also, what's up with these theories that he'll end up with Chelye? What did I miss?
Insane shipping culture, my friend. The bane of common sense.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:25 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:If his backstory and personality are well-done, sure. Even though I don't really like the idea of increasing the number of relevant Saiyans in the cast, a crew composed of Goku-Broly-Vegeta with the occasional Jiren, Toppo, Hit, 17 or Freeza encounter/team-up could provide some interesting dynamics.

Phew. I was scared some leak came out that pointed toward some kind of relationship between the two in the movie. For a moment there, I almost thought my expectations for this movie would go even lower. I may have some faith in Toriyama that he can write a decent character out of Broly, but I have zero faith when it comes to him writing a competent romance story as one of the focal points.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:02 pm

There are more than enough Saiyans that central characters. How about different looking characters so it doesn't all look the same.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:04 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:

Phew. I was scared some leak came out that pointed toward some kind of relationship between the two in the movie. For a moment there, I almost thought my expectations for this movie would go even lower. I may have some faith in Toriyama that he can write a decent character out of Broly, but I have zero faith when it comes to him writing a competent romance story as one of the focal points.
Are you attempting to imply that the misconception of marriage being some kind of food is anything less than the greatest love story ever told?
'Cuz I assure you, Son Goku loves food.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:20 pm

No interest whatsoever. One of the very last things I want as a matter of fact. But it's inevitable.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:59 pm

ABED wrote:There are more than enough Saiyans that central characters. How about different looking characters so it doesn't all look the same.
Saiyan's don't really look all the same, that's a bit kinda racist and we're talking about a fictional race as it is. That'd been worse if they were real.

Trunks, Gohan, Broly, Vegeta, Goku and Tarble, for example, definitely don't look the same.

Namekians mostly look different but the "Freeza race"? There is a bit of samey. Freeza, Frost and Kuriza are like triplets but King Cold and Cool do have their differences.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:37 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
ABED wrote:There are more than enough Saiyans that central characters. How about different looking characters so it doesn't all look the same.
Saiyan's don't really look all the same, that's a bit kinda racist and we're talking about a fictional race as it is. That'd been worse if they were real.

Trunks, Gohan, Broly, Vegeta, Goku and Tarble, for example, definitely don't look the same.

Namekians mostly look different but the "Freeza race"? There is a bit of samey. Freeza, Frost and Kuriza are like triplets but King Cold and Cool do have their differences.
Problem is, Dragon Ball has such a plethora of characters of many different backgrounds to juxtapose, contrast, and play social dynamics with Goku... and instead Toei/Toriyama have isolated stories to being really built around Saiyans only. There's so much potential out there right now and it is being squandered and the world made so much smaller than it really could be.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:39 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:

I can't tell if you are trying to be funny or not. Are you really saying I'm making a racist claim? Clearly Trunks and Vegeta and Goku look different but it's still muscular male characters whose hair all become spikey and yellow. Including Yajirobe, Tien, Kuririn, Piccolo, and even Chaozu is more dynamic. Goku clashing against characters that look as out there as Freeza, Cell, Piccolo, and Buu is more interesting than Goku only fighting against spikey haired muscular males.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:58 am

I am fine if it does well.