I love the Funimation Dub pre-Kai

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Re: I love the Funimation Dub pre-Kai

Post by Fizzer » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:10 am

Majin Buu wrote:
MrTennek wrote:The Japanese language is extremely limited in range and variety compared to that of English. Look at how many words they have to borrow from us. It's no wonder translators make so many changes to the monotonous and repetitive dialogue...
Again, there's a difference between altering the dialogue in a way that reads better in English while remaining faithful to the original script vs. changing it to something completely different that removes the original intent. The latter is what the Z dub did (a lot) and that's where we run into the issue of actual plot points and characterization being altered, which gets to what I and many others have always said about Z: When you take into account all of the changes Funimation made to the show for their English dub, dub fans and sub fans are watching two very different shows. Sub fans and dub fans are not fans of the same Dragon Ball Z.
It's a line that translators have to be attuned to. The Funi Z dub did cross it repeatedly in pretty huge ways which went way beyond flavouring dialogue into altering characters and plotpoints.

A degree of cultural localisation is a valid part of the dubbing process, by which I mean for example literal translations are not always the best way to convey intent to a different audience. The role of cultural localisation changed a lot between Z and Kai, and I think most of us would agree that many 90s dubs (including DBZ but Pokemon may be the exemplar here) shouldn't have pasted over elements of Japanese culture with American culture in the way they did.

When someone says, with a cocky smirk, that their power level is higher than yours, all the line needs to convey is that belief,confidence and animosity, which can be done in an enormous number of ways in English, many of which of which are better suited to our Western attention-spans than straight up translation when the same thing is being said a lot this episode.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:59 am

Fizzer wrote:
A degree of cultural localisation is a valid part of the dubbing process, by which I mean for example literal translations are not always the best way to convey intent to a different audience. The role of cultural localisation changed a lot between Z and Kai, and I think most of us would agree that many 90s dubs (including DBZ but Pokemon may be the exemplar here) shouldn't have pasted over elements of Japanese culture with American culture in the way they did.
Yes. Certain cultural idiosyncrasies don't translate, and that's an instance where it's fine to change it to something that's different but equivalent that a western audience will get, preserving the intent of the original dialogue.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:29 am

Kokonoe wrote:I love it, I truly do. I love how the music is very diverse in sound
Eh? It all sounds pretty same-y to me. It also just feels incredibly dated to the 90s.

Matter o opinion of course

I also even love the "Ally to good, nightmare to you!" line as I feel it is much more exciting to me and makes the scene better
One of the main reasons I point to Kai being superio

Trying to portray Super Saiyan as Jesus-lite just doesn’t work for me.

That and Vegeta’s dying speech is why I can’t with the Funi Z dub

And man...Piccolo's theme in the Faulconer Productions OST just speaks so much for the character, like the song just is so perfectly fitting to him. Anytime that theme plays I know it's my boy showing up.
I had to look it up to remember it to be honest.

It sure is uhhh music?

But I like the Saban dub so I shouldn’t talk

zDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by zDBZ » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:01 pm

I grew up with the Funi dub, and I've got a soft spot for it still. I've never gone back and rewatched it from beginning to end (not enough time) but reviewing key scenes and episodes, it does, in large part, fail to hold up to a critical eye - in the writing, the performances, and the way that music is used.

That said, there are times where the looser adaptation of the dub made for better English dialogue than Kai had, and there are a very few scenes where I think the performances are even better in the original dub than in Kai. There are even a few scenes where I think deliberately unfaithful writing that made certain characters more heroic or sympathetic was an improvement on the original. And while the abrupt transitions in the score and themes' placement within scenes is often jarring, I like a lot of Faulconer's themes on their own.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:08 am

Love what you love, man. No shame in that. I grew up with the Funi dub myself, but reading the manga while growing up and then watching the series in Japanese basically made me realize just how much of a trainwreck it is. The Funi dub is basically its own adaptation. It’s not really Dragon Ball, and for that I will never appreciate it. The fandom and series would be better off if it never existed.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:48 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Unofficial/replacement score, that is. I'd find it interesting if FUNimation got rid of completely of the Faulconer soundtrack and stuck to the original for upcoming releases.

I'm guessing they'll eventually do that.
If they do ever decide to leave it out I for one won't be supporting said release, and I'm certain many others wouldn't either.
Dragon Box Z was like this. It's really just making progress and leave the replacement music in the past.
That was also a niche, limited release aimed at sub fans.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:26 pm

OhHiRenan wrote:The fandom and series would be better off if it never existed.
Speak for yourself. I don't see what there is to support this beyond your own personal preference. At the end of the day the vast majority of people who watched that dub still love it to this day. The dub was only "harmful" because you as an individual don't like it, and that has nothing to do with the so called greater good or whether it had a positive ot negative impact on the lives of the masses.

Honestly people act as if the dub destroyed lives. This is why I roll my eyes most of the time when I see someone act as if a fictional movie or show caused real life damage based souly on the fact they didn't like it as an individual. There are obvious exceptions to this such as movies that present certain groups of people in a negative light and have a direct impact on how those people are perceived in the real world. But this is a cartoon about a bunch of guys pummeling the shit out of one another over some magic balls that was altered to feel more heroic. Hell if anything the dub is even less harmful than the original for turning the cast into less selfish role models. I know many dub fans view Goku as a role model, and I've seen comments from people saying Faulconer's SS3 theme inspired them to improve their lives.

And then there's the infamous portrayal of General Blue in the original, which was toned down considerably in the dub for the better.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:32 pm

90sDBZ wrote:And then there's the infamous portrayal of General Blue in the original, which was toned down considerably in the dub for the better.
Y'know, except for the scene where he's clearly lusting after a little kid, which Funi attempted to "tone down" by making the kid his long lost brother, but because anyone with two eyes that's watching it can tell he's being a pedophile, they actually made it worse.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:54 pm

90sDBZ wrote:Speak for yourself. I don't see what there is to support this beyond your own personal preference. At the end of the day the vast majority of people who watched that dub still love it to this day. The dub was only "harmful" because you as an individual don't like it, and that has nothing to do with the so called greater good or whether it had a positive ot negative impact on the lives of the masses.
In terms of being able to converse with other people who are fans of this franchise without having to constantly clarify which version of the show we're talking about because they're just so different and being able to discuss those differences without it devolving into a flame filled argument, then yes, I would say the Z dub has been harmful to the American Dragon Ball fandom. I don't think the American fandom would be nearly as fractured as it is today if Funimation had just dubbed the show faithfully.
Honestly people act as if the dub destroyed lives. This is why I roll my eyes most of the time when I see someone act as if a fictional movie or show caused real life damage based souly on the fact they didn't like it as an individual.

There's been hyperbole on both sides of this. Don't act like it's only coming from subbies.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:27 pm

I don't think they loved the dub as much as they loved DB. There feelings about the dub are wrapped up in the series itself. Given how popular DB was around the world is, I can confidently claim that DB would've been popular regardless. All it needed was to be on a channel and at a time when the target audience watched. Lastly, it needed time for the audience to find it.

I don't see how changing characterizations to be more heroic (even though their actions contradict their sentiments) is somehow a net positive. I could just as easily argue that changing the story to fit western audiences is a net loss because kids aren't being exposed to different cultures and ideas.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:30 pm

Also I feel like Vegeta, one of the least heroic characters no matter what version you’re watching, was one of the most popular characters with the dub audience

I have no issue with people preferring the Funi dub. I understand nostalgia. But I vehemently disagree it needed to make drastic changes to be popular. Kids are pretty simple they would have liked the punching and the kicking and the yelling and the power blast regardless if Goku was Superman or Sun Wukong. They would have liked it regardless if the music sounded like it came from a 1970s wuxia film or you and your homies cell phones going off on vibrate at the same time

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:36 am

Majin Buu wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:Speak for yourself. I don't see what there is to support this beyond your own personal preference. At the end of the day the vast majority of people who watched that dub still love it to this day. The dub was only "harmful" because you as an individual don't like it, and that has nothing to do with the so called greater good or whether it had a positive ot negative impact on the lives of the masses.
In terms of being able to converse with other people who are fans of this franchise without having to constantly clarify which version of the show we're talking about because they're just so different and being able to discuss those differences without it devolving into a flame filled argument, then yes, I would say the Z dub has been harmful to the American Dragon Ball fandom. I don't think the American fandom would be nearly as fractured as it is today if Funimation had just dubbed the show faithfully.
Honestly people act as if the dub destroyed lives. This is why I roll my eyes most of the time when I see someone act as if a fictional movie or show caused real life damage based souly on the fact they didn't like it as an individual.

There's been hyperbole on both sides of this. Don't act like it's only coming from subbies.
People starting flame wars on the internet isn't the fault of the dub. It's the fault of the individuals who choose to act that way. Disrespectful jerks will always be disrespectful jerks, and using the dub as a scapegoat really doesn't change that anymore than it takes the responsibility from those people.

I've had plenty of perfectly good respectable discussions with dub fans and sub fans alike, and specifying which version you're talking about is hardly a difficult thing to do. If anything the differences make for some interesting discussions once people are able to get past their initial distate for the unfamiliar.
ABED wrote:I don't think they loved the dub as much as they loved DB. There feelings about the dub are wrapped up in the series itself. Given how popular DB was around the world is, I can confidently claim that DB would've been popular regardless. All it needed was to be on a channel and at a time when the target audience watched. Lastly, it needed time for the audience to find it.

I don't see how changing characterizations to be more heroic (even though their actions contradict their sentiments) is somehow a net positive. I could just as easily argue that changing the story to fit western audiences is a net loss because kids aren't being exposed to different cultures and ideas.
It would have been a success no matter what, you're right there. But the fact that the Faulconer score still gets so much love to this day, that fans often take the time to praise it specifically, that it gets so many views on youtube, that many couldn't watch Kai without it even after really trying strongly suggests to me that it played a part.

If those fans only loved the show but not the dub specifically then you wouldn't still be seeing that score being brought up 15 years after the dub ended on Toonami. It's not even the default option on the home releases and yet it still hasn't been forgotten. You only need to read the youtube comments to see the genuine love people have for that score.

And it isn't just nostalgia either as I've seen many fans acknowledge that Kai has better acting but still say it would be better with Faulconer, with several fans on youtube editing it into Kai.

Anyway a faithful dub from the start is an alternate universe we will never see, so anything we say will always be speculation.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:47 am

90sDBZ wrote:People starting flame wars on the internet isn't the fault of the dub. It's the fault of the individuals who choose to act that way. Disrespectful jerks will always be disrespectful jerks, and using the dub as a scapegoat really doesn't change that anymore than it takes the responsibility from those people.

I've had plenty of perfectly good respectable discussions with dub fans and sub fans alike, and specifying which version you're talking about is hardly a difficult thing to do. If anything the differences make for some interesting discussions once people are able to get past their initial distate for the unfamiliar.
In my experience this has been an extremely divisive issue in the American fandom. In fact, I'd go out on a limb and say it's much more divisive than it is in the American fandoms of anime that have received proper dubs since the only major difference worth discussing in a dub like that is which voice cast you prefer (even better if the dub's acting quality is on the level of say a Cowboy Bebop or FMA dub), as opposed to this dub, where you also have to take into account which tone, score, entire script, etc. you prefer as well, meaning by default there's more elements there to divide the fandom.

I can only say you've been extremely lucky if you haven't generally run into all the divisiveness that's resulted from this dub being so different from the original.

It would have been a success no matter what, you're right there. But the fact that the Faulconer score still gets so much love to this day, that fans often take the time to praise it specifically, that it gets so many views on youtube, that many couldn't watch Kai without it even after really trying strongly suggests to me that it played a part.

If those fans only loved the show but not the dub specifically then you wouldn't still be seeing that score being brought up 15 years after the dub ended on Toonami. It's not even the default option on the home releases and yet it still hasn't been forgotten. You only need to read the youtube comments to see the genuine love people have for that score.
No matter how much Faulconer fans love his score and try to retroactively justify its existence, the evidence from the rest of the world shows that it was never necessary in the first place. If the show had been dubbed properly, it wouldn't exist, and there would be one less element to divide the American fanbase (without a replacement score existing in opposition to the original score, the original score would just be the score and opinions would simply come down to whether you like the score or not and left at that). The fact is, the Faulconer score is the result of antiquated (and in my opinion, wrong) localization practices that have thankfully gone out of style; and to go even further, that represent how little faith Funimation actually had in the show.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:48 am

And it isn't just nostalgia either as I've seen many fans acknowledge that Kai has better acting but still say it would be better with Faulconer, with several fans on youtube editing it into Kai.

Anyway a faithful dub from the start is an alternate universe we will never see, so anything we say will always be speculation.
And you're speculating that those same people wouldn't have watched regardless of the score.

The love of that score IS mainly due to nostalgia. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. Their feelings towards that score is so wrapped up in the feeling they got watching it years ago that they can't get past it. Nothing from those comments makes me believe otherwise.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:06 am

Majin Buu wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:People starting flame wars on the internet isn't the fault of the dub. It's the fault of the individuals who choose to act that way. Disrespectful jerks will always be disrespectful jerks, and using the dub as a scapegoat really doesn't change that anymore than it takes the responsibility from those people.

In my experience this has been an extremely divisive issue in the American fandom. In fact, I'd go out on a limb and say it's much more divisive than it is in the American fandoms of anime that have received proper dubs since the only major difference worth discussing in a dub like that is which voice cast you prefer (even better if the dub's acting quality is on the level of say a Cowboy Bebop or FMA dub), as opposed to this dub, where you also have to take into account which tone, score, entire script, etc. you prefer as well, meaning by default there's more elements there to divide the fandom.

I can only say you've been extremely lucky if you haven't generally run into all the divisiveness that's resulted from this dub being so different from the original.

No matter how much Faulconer fans love his score and try to retroactively justify its existence, the evidence from the rest of the world shows that it was never necessary in the first place. If the show had been dubbed properly, it wouldn't exist, and there would be one less element to divide the American fanbase (without a replacement score existing in opposition to the original score, the original score would just be the score and opinions would simply come down to whether you like the score or not and left at that). The fact is, the Faulconer score is the result of antiquated (and in my opinion, wrong) localization practices that have thankfully gone out of style; and to go even further, that represent how little faith Funimation actually had in the show.
You're missing my point. I never denied that the fanbase has been divisive and even sometimes outright toxic. I'm saying that those kinds of fans choose to act that way. Having different fans preferring different versions isn't inherently a bad thing. It's only a problem when a loud minority of people make it a problem by mindlessly hating on the other version and being jerks towards those who like it. I'll say this one more time; those fans choose to act that way and there's absolutely nothing forcing them too. It's perfectly possible to discuss the differences between the 2 versions without descending into madness.

The fact remains that people still watch and enjoy the old dub to this day. You can always speculate and say a faithful dub would have done just as well, but that doesn't change the fact that millions of fans watched and loved the dub we have and still do 15 years later. What might have been is irrelevant. The fact that all those fans were able to get so much joy from watching it is more than enough to justify its existence.
ABED wrote:

And you're speculating that those same people wouldn't have watched regardless of the score.

The love of that score IS mainly due to nostalgia. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. Their feelings towards that score is so wrapped up in the feeling they got watching it years ago that they can't get past it. Nothing from those comments makes me believe otherwise.
Nostalgia can only go so far. After a while it wears off and doesn't work anymore, leaving the thing you where nostalglic about open to objective analysis.

You keep implying that people simply enjoyed the show for the story and didn't care less for the Faulconer score but that's a direct contradiction of the fact that the score gets brought up and praised time and time again. If the score was only an afterthought then you wouldn't have fans asking Funimation to rehire Faulconer for Super.

I'm not saying those people wouldn't have watched it without the replacement score, but I am stating the rather obvious fact that those who did watch it liked it enough to talk about it with praise 15 years later.

Unless you've gone around and interviewed every fan who likes that score how can you really know it's just nostalgia that keeps them coming back to it? Here's another possibility. Maybe they genuinely loved that score so much that they still love it to this day even after countless repeat viewings.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:25 am

I think you assume everyone is open to objective analysis. As condescending as this sounds, I think a lot of people are very bad at introspection. They might like something, but very often don't know why.

I never said or implied people couldn't care less about the Faulconer score. I said they enjoy it but much of their love is wrapped up in their experiences seeing it as a kid and the show itself.

Sure there are some that genuinely enjoy the score and might even have not watched the show without it, but there isn't a shred of evidence to prove they would have moved the needle to any significant degree. DB was already popular before season 3 even with a different cast and score.

I should mention that I see plenty of praise for the old dub, so it's not just the music.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:03 pm

A lot of people are very bad at introspection. For example, if one makes a generalization that the love of the score is mainly due to nostalgia, yet is unable to actually provide a shred of evidence to back up such a claim, then this indicates that this person is only seeing what he or she wants to see. Delusion is a powerful drug indeed.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:44 pm

ABED wrote:. DB was already popular before season 3 even with a different cast and score.
This is the main reason while I get annoyed when dude bros get uppity about the Faulconer score being the end all be all of DBZ music (for the record not saying anyone on here who likes the Funi Z dub or Faulconer music is like that just ya know more the people you see on youtube comments and gamefaq boards and what not).

We know for a indisputatable fact that DBZ was able to succeed in America without the Faulconer score or Chris Sabat and Sean Schemnel.

And while Dragon Ball was nowhere near as big as DBZ (being marketed as DBZ Babies by Toonami didn’t help) nobody had a problem with the Japanese score being used there.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:56 pm

thaman91 wrote:A lot of people are very bad at introspection. For example, if one makes a generalization that the love of the score is mainly due to nostalgia, yet is unable to actually provide a shred of evidence to back up such a claim, then this indicates that this person is only seeing what he or she wants to see. Delusion is a powerful drug indeed.
I see what you did there :)

What evidence would suffice to prove that claim? Me dissecting a shit ton of youtube comments or some comments on this very forum? I came to this conclusion after years of experience reading and talking to fellow fans. Many of these discussions happened years ago. And it's not the love of the score I'm calling into question, it's the idea that people truly believe the Faulconer score is objectively the better fit for DBZ.

I've had discussions on this forum with people who have said so and when you get down to the bottom of it, it's mostly due to misconceptions about that DB is at its core. Not surprisingly, much of that misconception comes directly from the dub itself. When I see people say DBZ is so different from DB and they characterize DB as essentially in the same category as the very first arc, I know they don't know what they are talking about. To go as far to claim that those two shows, even though they are still the same story, are so different that DBZ needed a different score, throws up red flags for me.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:14 pm

90sDBZ wrote:You're missing my point. I never denied that the fanbase has been divisive and even sometimes outright toxic. I'm saying that those kinds of fans choose to act that way. Having different fans preferring different versions isn't inherently a bad thing. It's only a problem when a loud minority of people make it a problem by mindlessly hating on the other version and being jerks towards those who like it. I'll say this one more time; those fans choose to act that way and there's absolutely nothing forcing them too. It's perfectly possible to discuss the differences between the 2 versions without descending into madness.
In my experience, it takes a lot of effort on both sides to ensure that those discussions don't devolve into flame fests or in general create any animosity. It's an inherently divisive issue because both sides are passionate about their preferred version. My point is that most of this divisiveness wouldn't exist with a proper dub.
The fact that all those fans were able to get so much joy from watching it is more than enough to justify its existence.

The fact that dub fans continuously try to argue that replacing the score was necessary for DBZ to be a success in America says otherwise.