Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:41 am

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I foresee some father son angle being played up in the story since we're gonna dive into the back stories of Goku, Broly and Vegeta. It's just a shame Bardock will be the guy who's gonna get played up as Goku's dad when Grampa Gohan meant far more to him, or rather, meant anything at all to him as a parental figure.
Yes, I'm sure they'll do exactly that which is unfortunate because they're gonna fuck it up. Here's what I posted when the trailer first dropped, and I still believe everything I wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Actually, I think they will try (keyword here) to showcase the contrast between Goku's story, someone who was sent to Earth because his parents loved him, Vegeta's story, a prince that was pampered and protected all his life, and Broly's story, a nobody who presumably suffered abuse all his life and was forgotten to time; that's what I gather from the insistence on the "how will these three Saiyan destinies meet?" tagline and them continually referring to Broly as an "unknown Saiyan" throughout the trailer. I say they'll try because they'll show this contrast somewhere in the movie, but like every interesting modern Dragon Ball idea, they'll present it superficially and never develop it beyond the surface level; instead, they'll just throw the concept out into the air and then focus on the spectacle.

And I say "interesting" very loosely here. If Minus wasn't a thing, then the "unknown", forgotten-to-time Saiyan that this movie will likely portray Broly as was Goku and this idea was explored to some degree all the way back in the Saiyan arc. Even with Minus, Goku is still that "unknown Saiyan", he only loses the tragic aspect of his backstory; the biggest victim of the tragedy of planet Vegeta's destruction will be Broly to showcase the contrast between the three Saiyans. It's essentially going to be M8 again, but they're making the subtext overt.

I'm not trying to pass judgement so soon since we know nothing, but I really think this is what they're going with due to the way they're marketing the movie.
I'm gonna laugh especially hard if they make Paragus a cunt from start to finish because Paragus was arguably a much better father than Bardock, who will likely be a saint here. The dynamic between the original Paragus, Bardock and King Vegeta as flawed fathers who loved their sons for their own selfish reasons could be interesting, but not when I'm sure this movie will make king Vegeta and Bardock good fathers and Paragus a bad father and present this shallow, two dimensional dynamic just to make Broly's story more tragic.
Yeah, Paragus cared about his sons well being enough to challenge the king, risking his place in Saiyan society and his life to do it. Bardock only ever cares about Goku when he learns in the special he'll be the one to beat Freeza, essentially just as a tool for revenge and King Vegeta was much the same way from what we see of him. Making Paragus a total bastard from the get-go would be a huge waste of an actually good character.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:50 am

Saturnine wrote:And that's one consequence of not knowing how to determine canonicity of things - complaining about things that don't really count being retconned :p
"I don't know how to determine canonicity" because there is no canonicity to be determined. Unless, of course, you do happen to have Toriyama's, Shueisha's or Toei's official canon that they revealed somewhere. But since I know this is not the case...

Yes, planet Vegeta is red, as seen in Bardock's TV Special, including in the scene where Bardock appears in chapter 307. And in Movie 14, a movie where Toriyama was involved. Yes, this is a retcon regardless of your flawed view on the matter.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:52 am

Mercenary wrote:That's perfect opportunity to let Vegeta get the "W" but I doubt they have balls to do that.
Gogeta is going to be in this so not even Goku will be able to take him down. I think we'll see Vegeta get the big win once he unlocks UI.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:56 am

Geekdom101 wrote: If I'm right, NOBODY is EVER allowed to question my credibility EVER again around here.
Why are you so desperate to have everyone believe in you?! It's obvious a new trailer is coming, but you're taking this too far.
Doesn't matter if you use a spoiler tag or not anymore. You also risk losing your sources if they get caught by acting like this.

You're not the only one with that info and all the others have been keeping it secret for weeks.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:59 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote: If I'm right, NOBODY is EVER allowed to question my credibility EVER again around here.
Why are you so desperate to have everyone believe in you?! It's obvious a new trailer is coming, but you're taking this too far.
Doesn't matter if you use a spoiler tag or not anymore. You also risk losing your sources if they get caught by acting like this.

You're not the only with that info and all the others have been keeping it secret for weeks.
Completely wrong, but think what you want.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:06 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:What exactly did they retcon? Please don't say the colour of the sky.
I mean, if we look outside Earth you'll find it's blue colored, once you are in the planet, you see blue sky at daylight. If you look outside Vegeta, you'll see it's red colored, probably you would see that the sky is red too, right?
Lord Frieza wrote:To add to this, it’s not even red all the time.
No, but it is red where and when it needs to be.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:26 am

Grimlock wrote:
Saturnine wrote:And that's one consequence of not knowing how to determine canonicity of things - complaining about things that don't really count being retconned :p
"I don't know how to determine canonicity" because there is no canonicity to be determined. Unless, of course, you do happen to have Toriyama's, Shueisha's or Toei's official canon that they revealed somewhere. But since I know this is not the case...

Yes, planet Vegeta is red, as seen in Bardock's TV Special, including in the scene where Bardock appears in chapter 307. And in Movie 14, a movie where Toriyama was involved. Yes, this is a retcon regardless of your flawed view on the matter.
The Bardock special doesn't count, because there's DB Minus, and BoG reused footage, didn't it? Also, you'll do what you want, but it kinda feels weird that you'd lump the new movies in with the old ones, seeing as how the old ones were alternate reality side stories, and these new ones are the main story.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:30 am

Don't really understand what's the point complaining about Planet Vegeta having a blue surface instead of a red one, its just color. It's like complaining about Goku's Gi being the wrong tint of orange

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:34 am

Saturnine wrote:The Bardock special doesn't count, because there's DB Minus.
And do you have a colored Dragon Ball Minus? If not, then it's irrelevant.
Saturnine wrote:and BoG reused footage, didn't it?
No.
Saturnine wrote:but it kinda feels weird that you'd lump the new movies in with the old ones, seeing as how the old ones were alternate reality side stories, and these new ones are the main story.
Bardock's TV Special (or at least Bardock going to face Freeza scene) and Movie 14 are not "alternate reality side stories". Those are the main story.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:39 am

Geekdom101 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:The re-release of the 1993 Broly movie made $658,982 in it's two days in the cinema.

The DBS Broly movie is gonna do bank.
Did ANN report this?
It's from Box Office Mojo. Here's the link.

Now I'm really psyched to see the new trailer after those spoilers (though I kind of regret looking at it because now the surprise is gone). I hope the trailer isn't just all flashbacks. I really want to see Broly throwing down in his other forms. I also want to see what the CG fights look like now.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:56 am

Grimlock wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:What exactly did they retcon? Please don't say the colour of the sky.
I mean, if we look outside Earth you'll find it's blue colored, once you are in the planet, you see blue sky at daylight. If you look outside Vegeta, you'll see it's red colored, probably you would see that the sky is red too, right?
What color is the sky on the moon?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:58 am

Simere wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
What color is the sky on the moon?
I don't know where this discussion about Planet Vegeta's color scheme came from, but don't we see a yellow/orange sky in that flashback with younger Paragus?
Last edited by Michsi on Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:58 am

I'M HERE FOR THESE! PLEASE DON'T DISAPPOINT ME!

~ Day of the Machines ~

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:03 am

I already expected Minus ever since the shot of Bardock's hand in the first trailer and yet I'm still angry.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:04 am

Grimlock wrote:I'M HERE FOR THESE! PLEASE DON'T DISAPPOINT ME!
Those are pretty looking screenshots! Minus is not my thing, but this looks good.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:04 am

The trailer leaked from China and its exactly what I told you.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:09 am

Geekdom101 wrote:The trailer leaked from China and its exactly what I told you.
when's your video coming up
Feels over Reals.

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:11 am

Grimlock wrote:I'M HERE FOR THESE! PLEASE DON'T DISAPPOINT ME!
Gine looks like Enya, for real...
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:11 am

Just watched the second trailer! It was basically all Planet Vegeta stuff, but holy shit does it look interesting. Freeza looked so pink! :lol:

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:17 am

Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu